The GW$ Debacle...

From reports, rumours and quotes it appears a few players are disgruntled up there.

So far it's suggested that Cameron and Treloar want out, with their contracts expiring at the end of 2015. Others have also suggested Shiel and I'm also curious on O'Rourke's future - did he sign to the end of 2014 or 2015?

Surely (emotional bias aside) the MFC must be one of the front runners to obtain such a talent:

• With the absence of Clark we have freed up ~ $800,000 a year, + a potential $400,000 or so that could have been prematurely terminated from this year and may be able to get payed out next year (depending on the current cap status as to what percentage is currently payed). In other words we have the money.
  • All the players suggested are Victorian, if home sickness is a contributor it will significantly reduce interstate clubs chances of obtaining one.
  • I know it doesn't always count for much but it is something, the fact we have just obtained Tyson (an ex teammate and quality clubman) and also have Viney (ex U18 teammate to some) will help persuade and provide quality intel of the inner sanctum of the club..
  • We should have a relatively high draft pick (probably top 5) in this years draft to trade if GWS feel that parting ways a year early of the contract expiring is best.
  • Like 1

I agree titan. Now that gws is in the league footy needs them to be successful

Why? If enough people say it somehow it becomes fact. I'm not buying it. They will, of course, survive and flourish with the leagues help. I'd rather the lower clubs resurge.

Just highlights what taking opportunities is all about. They came to play and had chances like us to get the win but fluffed them. How irritating for us it would have been if GWS got up and won? Now that we are competitive we have to take the four points when we have the chance. No more excuses for honourable losses.

Edited by america de cali

I didn't see that coming.

They must have got a huge rocket after the last two weeks and the form of Hawthorn and the conditions suited them today. As well as they played, I've never seen a Hawthorn side fumble so much and miss so many targets; their depth is really being tested and we may be seeing the end of an era.

• Like 2

They must have got a huge rocket after the last two weeks and the form of Hawthorn and the conditions suited them today. As well as they played, I've never seen a Hawthorn side fumble so much and miss so many targets; their depth is really being tested and we may be seeing the end of an era.

We can only hope so. I am sick to death of them. But I suspect they will be around for a few years yet. Free Agency is their friend.

In terms of talent it was a glorified Box Hill team Hawthorn had out there today (because of injuries) but the pressure GWS put on was very good.

Having said all that, it goes to show how your second-string players are often made to look better than they normally are when they have the star players around them and vice versa.

• Like 1

In terms of talent it was a glorified Box Hill team Hawthorn had out there today (because of injuries) but the pressure GWS put on was very good.

Having said all that, it goes to show how your second-string players are often made to look better than they normally are when they have the star players around them and vice versa.

Exactly, I've been waiting for the time when both the Hawks and Cats lesser players were exposed to the pressure of being the main men.

It's easy to bury 2 or 3 NQR players in a team laced with champions.

• Like 4

Anyone know where Whitfield is from or when he is out of contract? Would not mind having him working with Tyson, Jones and Vince in the midfield!

He's from Vic, but I am pretty sure he signed a long term deal with the Giants last year.

kid's going to be a very good player.

Wouldn't that be nice?

I'm a bit torn.

On the one hand, the Western Sydney honchos, from the Demetriou legacy down, can all cop a hiding as far as I'm concerned. The height of arrogance to think they can spend $100m of "AFL collective" money without having a decent strategy in place and with such a slip-shod set of rules.

On the other hand, I've got no reason to have any objection to the players (almost all) and the coaches up there, and if GWS doesn't at least reach a level of consistent, respectable and watchable football then it will be a drain on the rest of the league for many, many years to come.

My ideal storyline is that GWS falters in the short term, lose some more draft picks, undergo a complete 'rescue strategy' endorses by the other AFL clubs in a particularly crank mood. That strategy would involve an in-depth development of second and even third-tier competitions in Sydney, abandonment of the ridiculous Canberra diversion, and a NSW reserves structure resembling a greatly extended rookie list, improving the available depth for both Western Sydney and Sydney.

Because yes, decades on, even the Swans would quickly become a liability if they weren't consistently competitive.

The absence of an effective strategy for game development in NSW was an embarrassment before, but now that the AFL is over-committed to subsidising it at the top level, it progresses to 'debacle' status.

That said, I'm really happy the kids at the Giants gave Hawthorn a bit of a shake. They didn't ask and don't deserve to be miserable every week!

Funny that most comments im reading here,were exactly the same written about our club last year.

Players want to leave etc etc.Now we are showing signs of an upward trend,posters are saying that players now "want" to come to our club.

GWS are in no different positon than us the last 2 years,and a couple of wins towards the end of the season will give the playing list the momentum to resign and push on to be a good club.

So stop dreaming of their list,PR will make the best available trade,same as he did this year.

Personally carlton will be the picking off list players i would think.

Funny that most comments im reading here,were exactly the same written about our club last year.

Players want to leave etc etc.Now we are showing signs of an upward trend,posters are saying that players now "want" to come to our club.

GWS are in no different positon than us the last 2 years,and a couple of wins towards the end of the season will give the playing list the momentum to resign and push on to be a good club.

So stop dreaming of their list,PR will make the best available trade,same as he did this year.

Personally carlton will be the picking off list players i would think.

so what your saying is this year is the year to get more players from GWS before its too late?

• Like 1

so what your saying is this year is the year to get more players from GWS before its too late?

yep,they will become a goliath and nobody will want to leave.

also players in the last years with no finals to their name will want to finish at a strong club{as weve seen}

yep,they will become a goliath and nobody will want to leave.

also players in the last years with no finals to their name will want to finish at a strong club{as weve seen}

I hope those in recruiting hear your wishes Jazza.

now how can we work a win win with Them?

• Like 1

We're 3 years into 20-30 year commitment. Can't see the AFL panicking at the moment. A semi-successful GWS side is only part of the equation. I think the best outcome for other clubs is for GWS is reach a level of success that is satisfactory, because we all get hurt if they get more draft/trade assistance.

I don't think I will ever like them, but I do hope they make serious in-roads into the sporting landscape in NSW. The whole game will benefit in the long run.

• Like 1

We're 3 years into 20-30 year commitment. Can't see the AFL panicking at the moment. A semi-successful GWS side is only part of the equation. I think the best outcome for other clubs is for GWS is reach a level of success that is satisfactory, because we all get hurt if they get more draft/trade assistance.

I don't think I will ever like them, but I do hope they make serious in-roads into the sporting landscape in NSW. The whole game will benefit in the long run.

exactly s_t

They will grow, & they will win games, & become more competative. Its imperative they trade the unhappy players who want to go home, & keep those who are committed to the new jumper. this will add to their forming a strong brotherhood culture .

Interesting that their two wins this year and yesterday's close loss all happened in wet conditions. Given the talent on their list, their (on average) younger legs and slighter bodies, I would have expected GWS to perform better in fast, dry conditions.

in the old days I would agree with you. because bigger teams were aloud to smash in hard & did in the wet. taking out legs & generally in heavy boggy ground had an advantage over the quicker more nimble young ones.

but on a manicured oval with great drainage, its nimbleness that wins out, like in a frosty night when the ball is like soap.

so the wet conditions in todays footy, should level things out to the advantage of the stronger mindset on the day.

• Like 1