WELCOME TO THE MELBOURNE FOOTBALL CLUB - ANGUS BRAYSHAW

ashdemons22

I expect St Kilda will regret not taking either Brayshaw or Petracca.

I don't really understand clubs taking forwards early in the draft, more often than not - it doesn't work.

Sure, there are some exceptions, but the large majority of forwards taken early have failed.

That's not entirely true. Pretty much all the elite tall forwards in the competition were taken early in the first round.

Franklin (pick 5)

Roughead (pick 2)

Kennedy (pick 4)

Hogan (pick 3)

N. Riewoldt (pick 1)

Pavlich (pick 4)

J. Riewoldt (pick 13)

Stringer (pick 5)

McCarthy (pick 13)

Then you have Joe Daniher and Hawkins who were F/S picks but would have been top 5 if they were in the open draft. Cameron was an underage selection, also would have been top 5 otherwise. Taylor Walker was a late pick but Adelaide had special access to him from memory.

So yeah, pretty much every half-decent forward running around in the AFL was an early pick back in they day!

I understand what St.Kilda were trying to do, but I agree internally they'd be a little concerned about the early form of Brayshaw. It didn't take long for us to realise we had missed one in Wines.

• Like 2

That's not entirely true. Pretty much all the elite tall forwards in the competition were taken early in the first round.

Franklin (pick 5)

Roughead (pick 2)

Kennedy (pick 4)

Hogan (pick 3)

N. Riewoldt (pick 1)

Pavlich (pick 4)

J. Riewoldt (pick 13)

Stringer (pick 5)

McCarthy (pick 13)

Then you have Joe Daniher and Hawkins who were F/S picks but would have been top 5 if they were in the open draft. Cameron was an underage selection, also would have been top 5 otherwise. Taylor Walker was a late pick but Adelaide had special access to him from memory.

So yeah, pretty much every half-decent forward running around in the AFL was an early pick back in they day!

I understand what St.Kilda were trying to do, but I agree internally they'd be a little concerned about the early form of Brayshaw. It didn't take long for us to realise we had missed one in Wines.

I think what he meant is that the strike rate is low. You've gone back 15 years to produce that list, there has probably been 50 KPF taken in the first round over 15 years, so your list is pretty short with that in mind

• Like 2

I think what he meant is that the strike rate is low. You've gone back 15 years to produce that list, there has probably been 50 KPF taken in the first round over 15 years, so your list is pretty short with that in mind

You might be right on that, but what I did was rattle off the best 10 or so key forwards in the game at present and analyse where they went in the draft. There might have been some misses along the way (Gumbleton, Butcher, Watts, Jarrad Grant off the top of my head) but I think if you want a DOMINANT key forward, then you need to draft one early OR trade away the farm to get them in down the track. I think St.Kilda's logic was OK.

• Like 2

I didnt see too much delusional talk in that thread, although I did skip the first page.

What I did see, was a forum that looks like it was put together by a first year IT student, who was full to the eyeballs with the good stuff.

Very ugly site to read..

Thought exactly the same thing myself. How lucky we are to have Demonland.

I expect St Kilda will regret not taking either Brayshaw or Petracca.

I don't really understand clubs taking forwards early in the draft, more often than not - it doesn't work.

Sure, there are some exceptions, but the large majority of forwards taken early have failed.

So when do you propose taking them?

That is looking like becoming one of the best drafts ever for any club.

Well done team.

Way too early to call, but I hope you're right!

And I'm just excited to have both Brayshaw and Petracca. Two potential stars is better than one. So I'm going to say I'd prefer Brayshaw and Petracca to Fyfe. ;)

It goes

Hogan

small daylight

Fyfe

daylight

Brayshaw

100 years of daylight

Scully

There isn't a player in the league near Nat Fyfe.

As good as Hogan is - and might be - he is no where near the level of Nat Fyfe.

And quite frankly, no one is at the moment. Fyfe will probably break the record for most votes polled in a season.

And quite frankly, no one is at the moment. Fyfe will probably break the record for most votes polled in a season.

He could well be over 30 votes already, with 9 matches still to play. He's a freak.

How good was his tackle on Jared 'Things are too hard at Melbourne so Ill use free agency go to a top 4 team' Rivers

You mean the Rivers who has played in the last two final series whilst he wouldn't have at Melbourne and will probably retire at seasons end ?

I believe that Rivers is the perfect example of why free agency was brought in . A good servant who played 10 seasons for us and left to gain some success at the end of his career.

• Like 5

You mean the Rivers who has played in the last two final series whilst he wouldn't have at Melbourne and will probably retire at seasons end ?

I believe that Rivers is the perfect example of why free agency was brought in . A good servant who played 10 seasons for us and left to gain some success at the end of his career.

Correct. Don't forget he was also played forward by Neeld for most of his last season, was looked completely uncomfortable being out of position. Whilst I enjoyed beating him, I hold no negative feelings towards him; he always had a crack in the red and blue.

• Like 6

Even Ablett? Yes he is injured but geez everyone has gone cold on the little master quite quickly. I still rate him the best I've ever seen (I'm only 26)

• Like 1

I don't disagree

I still wouldn't trade him for Hogan though, because gun KPFs are the hardest thing to find.

• Like 1

During the trade period last year, I was DYING to trade picks 2 and 3 to Adelaide for Dangerfield.. Now, as good as Danger is, seeing Brayshaw doing what he has done in his first year and Petracca still on the wings, I am glad we held onto those picks and went into the draft.

• Like 6

He could well be over 30 votes already, with 9 matches still to play. He's a freak.

Theres only a couple of players who would be "close" in my eyse for the Brownlow. That would be Hannebery, Armitage and Dangerfield.

Even Ablett? Yes he is injured but geez everyone has gone cold on the little master quite quickly. I still rate him the best I've ever seen (I'm only 26)

I'm 30 and asked my old man who was the best he has ever seen and he agreed that it was GAJ. There is just some things he does that no one else will ever do.