Post Match Discussion - Round 8

Demonland

It would be very hard to coach a game like that, we did so much right but a couple of line ball decisions possibly handed the game to the doggies and killed our momentum

I felt we looked like a really good side, Dunn playing on crameri rather than McDonald was the difference, 6 of their goals bounced through and Dunn is the one who peels off and stands on the goal line so that experiment upset our structure abit

I thought frawley and dawes were good up forward, both looked dangerous

Howe double punched 3 markable balls straight to the doggies

For nathan Jones to take the next step as a player I feel he needs to become a dangerous forward, if they want to tag him then he can go forward and play a role down there and release someone else through the middle east

Just watched this game for the first time, obviously knowing the result and therefore without jumping to rash emotional judgement. Firstly, we really are leagues better than last year, and the best thing about it is the competitiveness at the contest and for supporting teammates. There's a palpable sense of solidarity amongst the players, they're becoming a unit.

Secondly, there were no passengers. Yes, that includes Shannon Byrnes. It makes me laugh when looking at the posts put up immediately post match calling for heads to roll. Nobody deserves to be dropped based on that game. Would we get more from Kent or Riley, would big Maxy give us more forward/ ruck flexibility? Don't know, but they're tactical changes, not for form.

Thirdly, our recruiting from the off season just looks better and better. Tyson is going to be a star, and is clearly loving his new club. Cross, Vince, Salem.....all good. Jay Kennedy Harris is a revelation. I still can't quite believe I'm looking at an 8 game 19 year old. He works his arse off, runs to all the right places, has one touch skills, elite agility, and his defensive pressure is exceptional. The footy world hasn't quite woken up to this kid yet, but it's coming this year, and he's going to be a marquee drawcard, just dragging people along to watch him.

We lost, and were unlucky, but there's a new spirit and a new quality at this club which is exciting for the first time in a long time, and its hard not to love it...

• Like 9

It would be very hard to coach a game like that, we did so much right but a couple of line ball decisions possibly handed the game to the doggies and killed our momentum

I felt we looked like a really good side, Dunn playing on crameri rather than McDonald was the difference, 6 of their goals bounced through and Dunn is the one who peels off and stands on the goal line so that experiment upset our structure abit

I thought frawley and dawes were good up forward, both looked dangerous

Howe double punched 3 markable balls straight to the doggies

For nathan Jones to take the next step as a player I feel he needs to become a dangerous forward, if they want to tag him then he can go forward and play a role down there and release someone else through the middle east

I know Nathan has taken a big step forward with his football abilities, but it is a big call to now be saying he is our answer to release someone else in the middle east. I think that the religious conflict that is occurring through that region is a little beyond our Nathan.

I know Nathan has taken a big step forward with his football abilities, but it is a big call to now be saying he is our answer to release someone else in the middle east. I think that the religious conflict that is occurring through that region is a little beyond our Nathan.

Haha well done, not sure how that typo happened.

Yep agree. Maybe Roos thought Garland back means they could experiment with Grimes. They were wrong.

Howe needs more time and coaching about what to do in the air. My advise would be mark it if you can, if you can't fist it long and wide. If you can't impact the contest with a clean mark of fist stay down. McDonald, Dunn and Garland won't be out marked too many times when in good position, so if you have some confidence in them stay down.

Jetta was a disappointment. I still think he just lacks interest in being a difference maker (which he can be) and instead is a passenger until he gets a one on one contest (which he often wins and does well in). Or until he can tackle someone. I really wish he had the fitness to be a midfielder and tag at times. At the moment you have to put him on the best forward from the other team because he only seems to rise to a challenge. The easier it is the less he seemingly does. A frustrating footballer.

Some of your finest comedy yet, Jetta has a role, he plays that role

• Like 1

I find the critisism of jetta insane, since coming back he has played on the most dangerous small forward every week for the entire game, we have lost 2 of those games and the other was a close win.

he has not conceded a goal. not one. that's playing on Betts, Lewis jetta and Dahlhaus.

• Like 5

I find the critisism of jetta insane, since coming back he has played on the most dangerous small forward every week for the entire game, we have lost 2 of those games and the other was a close win.

he has not conceded a goal. not one. that's playing on Betts, Lewis jetta and Dahlhaus.

Yep. He kept Dahlhaus as quiet as I can remember seeing him. A good game, played his role and beat his opponent.
  • Like 3

Yep. He kept Dahlhaus as quiet as I can remember seeing him. A good game, played his role and beat his opponent.

people get upset because he doesn't have alot of the ball himself, but that's not his role, he is as valuable to us at the minute as anyone else on the list.

people get upset because he doesn't have alot of the ball himself, but that's not his role, he is as valuable to us at the minute as anyone else on the list.

I agree that Jetta is doing a really good job. I think 'master' was a bit harsh with his criticism but there is something there in that the next stage for Jetta is to take the game on a bit more. I'm not at all disappointed with him, I hope he will keep growing from here.

I wouldn't put it totally beyond him.

Im sorry. Its just delusional to try to rationalise that we're the better team having lost.

Some say they didn't win we lost it. Rubbish. We lost it they won it ergo they were the better team.

Are we better than we were ? Yes.

Did we win ? No

Its not hard fellow Demons.

If we had been the better side it would have been us that had the will and found a way to win. We didn't.

You can only play the opposition that fronts...you just deal and adapt to the umpiring of the day.

We lost to better side on the day. We learn and move forward.

• Like 1

except for the 20-odd blokes who are more valuable that is

explain? he has kept three very good quality players extremely quiet, he has played his role consistently and twice in losing sides, i reckon that's pretty impressive, if Eddie betts got loose last week and kicked a couple of goals and the game would have gone the other way..

explain? he has kept three very good quality players extremely quiet, he has played his role consistently and twice in losing sides, i reckon that's pretty impressive, if Eddie betts got loose last week and kicked a couple of goals and the game would have gone the other way..

Just getting a tad ahead of yourself saying he's as valuable as anyone on the list.

Not to downplay the excellent job he did on Betts, but generally speaking I think Jones and Tyson rank slightly ahead of Nev Jetta.

Just getting a tad ahead of yourself saying he's as valuable as anyone on the list.

Not to downplay the excellent job he did on Betts, but generally speaking I think Jones and Tyson rank slightly ahead of Nev Jetta.

Pedantry on a Tuesday morning, how refreshing, the way Roos is now coaching, any player who can go out and fulfil his role exactly as explained is valuable at the moment, it is creating a stability in the team that enables the improvement

• Like 2

I agree that Jetta is doing a really good job. I think 'master' was a bit harsh with his criticism but there is something there in that the next stage for Jetta is to take the game on a bit more. I'm not at all disappointed with him, I hope he will keep growing from here.

I have spoken to Nev quite a few times, at the moment certain players are encouraged "not to try too much, keep it simple", Nev being one of them in his shut down roles, as the team gets better this will come, Roos is one for one step at a time, get the defensive bit as second nature and then start hurting the other way, Pedersen is probably a week or two ahead of Nev and he is beginning to take on more offense

• Like 1

That's the whole basis of what Paul roos coaches no superstars 22 blokes playing their role and I also said right now he is, Tyson and co play a different role so impossible to compare but overall each role player is as valuable as the next providing they are playing their role well which nev is atm

• Like 1

Pedantry on a Tuesday morning, how refreshing, the way Roos is now coaching, any player who can go out and fulfil his role exactly as explained is valuable at the moment, it is creating a stability in the team that enables the improvement

A potshot? From Saty? How odd.

No-one is disputing he has been valuable. I'm chuffed to see him return to the side in good form. Just keeping it in perspective with regard to a player that was recently hanging on to his AFL career by the skin of his teeth.

And thank you for explaining the importance of playing a role...

I know you respond to every criticism no matter how constructive like people are insulting your grandchildren, but you need to get it through your bonce that we don't all worship the ground they walk on like you do.

A potshot? From Saty? How odd.

No-one is disputing he has been valuable. I'm chuffed to see him return to the side in good form. Just keeping it in perspective with regard to a player that was recently hanging on to his AFL career by the skin of his teeth.

And thank you for explaining the importance of playing a role...

I know you respond to every criticism no matter how constructive like people are insulting your grandchildren, but you need to get it through your bonce that we don't all worship the ground they walk on like you do.

I don't worship the ground they walk on P-man, I just don't feel the need to cover my own feelings of inadequacy by taking potshots at players for no particular reason than it makes one feel good, back up your criticism with facts and I may listen, just make a snide remark like you did to Sassy and I will post a retort, we are moving forward....negativity for the sake of it becomes tiresome

Edited by Satyriconhome

I don't worship the ground they walk on P-man, I just don't feel the need to cover my own feelings of inadequacy by taking potshots at players for no particular reason than it makes one feel good, back up your criticism with facts and I may listen, just make a snide remark like you did to Sassy and I will post a retort, we are moving forward....negativity for the sake of it becomes tiresome

In responding to master's post you didn't address any of the points he made. Not one. You insulted him, and then summised with "Jetta is playing a role".

This is YOUR issue mate. No-one else's. You see every critique as "negativity for the sake of it", when quite often it is nothing but people on a football forum expressing their observations and seeking feedback from fellow supporters, in the hope that they won't be insulted for doing so.

I think saying Jetta is as valuable a player we have after he's played 4 games, after being on the brink of delisting, is jumping the gun just a tad. It wasn't meant to be snide, just fact. We need to keep praise in perspective so that it doesn't lose value.

He has played his shut down role well. Hopefully the expansions to his game that master alluded to will come.

• Like 1

Take it easy, Saty. As Jesus said to Saul (Acts 26:14), "It is hard for thee to kick against the pr*cks."

Roadside bombs?

Well you would be wrong. Cross didn't slide into his legs at all.

Was a shocking decision

You can argue good decision or bad decision but if they paid the cross decision then Byrnes should have got one as well.

Interesting reading this thread....We did play some good footy last saturday....BUT not once during the game did i think we we would win....which was most annoying as Footscray have a short backline and no key forwards..

Yes there midfield played "Libba" tactics....

Should have won but didn't....NOT YET mentally tough enough

We will smash them later in the year if we continue to learn.