Paul Roos on AFL360

Why Am I not surprised in that comment.

It is probably very hard to accept Machsy but you are not the fountain of all knowledge.

I know that.

But I'm a fountain of a lot more knowledge than seems to be prevalent on this forum at times.

I think where we see differently is that you're viewing Watts output as a result of conscious decisions he has made.

I don't agree.

And if we take it as being an issue with maturity as I was saying, then Iva's post in reply was illogical.

Simple as that.

I know that.

But I'm a fountain of a lot more knowledge than seems to be prevalent on this forum at times.

I think where we see differently is that you're viewing Watts output as a result of conscious decisions he has made.

I don't agree.

And if we take it as being an issue with maturity as I was saying, then Iva's post in reply was illogical.

Simple as that.

Wow.

• Like 3

I know that.

I don't agree.

Simple as that.

Mum!!! I found that hubris you've been looking for!!!

• Like 2

I know that.

I don't agree.

Simple as that.

I just don't think he has the mental where with all to make it as an AFL player.

We all have mental abilities to perform some tasks well and others not so well.

most of those "abilities" can be modified to improve but seldom can the basic problem be eliminated.

IMO Watts is never going to throw himself at the contest like Dawes, Jones or even Spencer.

While he has plenty of the required skills his mental inability is always going to limit his results.

Well that is my view, I hope you can one tell me I was 100% wrong but I will not hold my breath.

I know that.

I don't agree.

Simple as that.

but if it has nothing to do with maturity then you are wrong.

Lock it in.

Simple as that.

None are so blind as those that refuse to see.

All I'm doing is raising another possibility for discussion.

I think emotional maturity plays a part in his output, and I don't think maturity is a consciously made decision.

It's not the only thing that affects his output, but it plays a serious part.

It also probably depends on what you subjectively view "output" to mean, in this regard.

• Like 1

Ahh Ben hur. Is he back? He must be having a nice old laugh about all the watts bashers

He's still posting over at BF.

Been quick to tell everyone he was the FIRST Melbourne supporter to ever question Jack Watts. lol

I think emotional maturity plays a part in his output, and I don't think maturity is a consciously made decision.

It also probably depends on what you subjectively view "output" to mean, in this regard.

Give me a break. The bloke has been in an elite system for over 7 years. If we are to follow your logic through to its inevitable conclusion, once again, no other footy club has had to address player welfare issues with their elite, high end draft picks and once again, the MFC must consider itself unique in this regard.

The club can no longer rely on simply being unlucky and wait for the wheel to turn. I would lay London to a brick that Roos won't countenance under performance for too much longer. He is made of far better stuff than that and that is why the MFC needs him at this part of our problematic journey.

If thats the case Watts isn't good enough to be in the side and deep down you know it. Two weeks in a row I have seen Watts disgraceful attempt at a chase. Roos says he will cop skill errors but not effort. He hasn't shown effort since round 1.

I saw Toumpas in the two games try and chase and put pressure on his opponent. He was seriously stiff to get dropped compared to what Watts is dishing up.

I agree about Watts, but we are not talking about him, we're talking about Toumpas

I agree about Watts, but we are not talking about him, we're talking about Toumpas

Players don't exist in a vacuum. You can't meaningfully talk about one player without comparing them to others. Jimmy Toumpas deserved to be dropped, and so does Jack Watts--and for many of the same reasons also.

It's not quite true to say his effort hasn't been there since Round 1. He was okay against Carlton, but so was the bulk of the team.

Certainly last week was the worst game I've seen from him, and he's had some stinkers.

He was also in our best against st kilda, was good against richmond in the preseason and good in the carlton game, so he has been far from our worse player this year.

I think howe has been more disappointing, but we focus on watts because he is Watts.

He didnt choose himself to be number one pick.

• Like 3

Even if that is the case I don't see why this should preclude him from going back to Casey to find his form/maturity/whatever.

Give me a break. The bloke has been in an elite system for over 7 years. If we are to follow your logic through to its inevitable conclusion, once again, no other footy club has had to address player welfare issues with their elite, high end draft picks and once again, the MFC must consider itself unique in this regard.

The club can no longer rely on simply being unlucky and wait for the wheel to turn. I would lay London to a brick that Roos won't countenance under performance for too much longer. He is made of far better stuff than that and that is why the MFC needs him at this part of our problematic journey.

Rubbish.

Plenty of other clubs have drafted kids who had taken time to come on, or have never made the grade.

My contention is that it isn't always simply a conscious choice to be bad, and that it's not necessarily "laziness" as a lot of others contend.

You're free to disagree.

He's still posting over at BF.

Been quick to tell everyone he was the FIRST Melbourne supporter to ever question Jack Watts. lol

Umm...can you pull up the thread where he interviewed Leigh Matthews after Jack's first game; like Andrew Bolt would interview Julia Gillard.

Don't forget what Matthews said. "I don't see anything in him that warrants being a number 1 selection"...or words to that effect.

Gotta hand it to H though, he did lose complete faith in Watts before many of us...particularly me.

I want to put $5 on the possibility Jack has Chronic Fatigue Syndrome.

I want to also buy all the NikNat shares that people don't want.

Rubbish.

Plenty of other clubs have drafted kids who had taken time to come on, or have never made the grade.

My contention is that it isn't always simply a conscious choice to be bad, and that it's not necessarily "laziness" as a lot of others contend.

You're free to disagree.

In the last 5 years, can you name one?

How is that sexist? Get off the political incorrect bandwagon

Because the intimation was that women are weak.

I don't think this is Ben Hur's new screen identity, unless he's thicker than I remember him being.

• Like 1

No. A simple question only

Well, you're actually limiting the field quite a bit, as few players would have had a line of through their name in their first few years.

Bar of course Lucas Cook. But he's one.

Matthew Watson, Patrick Karnezis, Ariel Steinberg, Patrick McCarthy, Luke Mitchell, Ben Jacobs...

What is the point of this? Listing all the kids who haven't come on yet?

Well, you're actually limiting the field quite a bit, as few players would have had a line of through their name in their first few years.

Bar of course Lucas Cook. But he's one.

Matthew Watson, Patrick Karnezis, Ariel Steinberg, Patrick McCarthy, Luke Mitchell, Ben Jacobs...

What is the point of this? Listing all the kids who haven't come on yet?

Number 1 draft picks? The point of nominating the last 5 years is that the "science' of draft selection has come a long way since the early 2000's. By and large the number 1 draft picks are playing consistent and good footy. Many of them having to leave home to do it. Now there's 'maturity' for ya.

Edited by iv'a worn smith