St. Kilda v Melbourne - Match Preview & Team Selection

Demonland

I'm shocked there was not mention of McKenzie's injury in Misson's weekly injury update.

We all know how honest and transparent that segment is!

What possible reason could he have for hiding it? I could imagine reasons if you are talking about a super-star but not a hard working but unnoticed player. I don't know, but maybe the injury happened later or deteriorated to a point where he could not play. (mjt will now accuse me of endorsing everything Schwab does.)

• Like 1

All pre-season, was feeling very settled and confident.. Starting this week, my nerves have just cranked up about 5 gears. I can't even focus at work. The reality, is that we are melbourne and we're accustomed to disappointment. But as Demon disciple said above, that nervousness feeling has been absent for the last few years. It's been too long since I felt like this. Gotta embrace it & get pumped up! Go Dees!

What possible reason could he have for hiding it? I could imagine reasons if you are talking about a super-star but not a hard working but unnoticed player. I don't know, but maybe the injury happened later or deteriorated to a point where he could not play. (mjt will now accuse me of endorsing everything Schwab does.)

I mentioned Jordie in my training report from yesterday, he didn't look impeded so assume he is just off slightly and with Roos saying he will not carry anybody into Round 1 he missed out, probably felt something during training on Wednesday and did the right thing and reported it

I take it you're not a fan of Terlich.

yes i am a big fan.

but facts are facts and PR wont let him get away with this again.

im looking forward to see if the coach has achieved it,if so then we are an improved team and thats good.

that was the point of which i wrote,look for the improvements and then you know were on the right track.

Edited by jazza
  • Like 1

You should try speaking to JKH, he will not be sitting there for three quarters getting nervous, if he is sub, he will be analyings and looking at the St Kilda defensive structures, so if and when he gets on, he knows where the weak spot is....this is a kid who was co captain of the Oakleigh Chargers who knows he is good

Fantastic. Under age captain or not, that shows maturity well beyond his years. If he can handle that and respond as a debutant, then good on him.

• Like 1

What happens to those unfondled teats when you are at the footy Jazz.?

young bloke down the road,relief milker ,cost is 70.00 per milking,but worth it as to get to a game costs 2 milkings.,

thought of getting biff to do it,but really worried about his intentions and thought he might mix alcohol with the milk and drink the profits.

also cant trust biff with 450 girls either.

young bloke down the road,relief milker ,cost is 70.00 per milking,but worth it as to get to a game costs 2 milkings.,

thought of getting biff to do it,but really worried about his intentions and thought he might mix alcohol with the milk and drink the profits.

also cant trust biff with 450 girls either.

That's 1800 teats - you're a mighty man.

Nicholson, Blease, Evans. It seems once again it's 6 months since we've played a real game and we still can't come up with any better depth ready to play than these 3. Oh well.

What's worse is that the likes of Matt Jones are in our starting 22.

Edited by TheoX

That's 1800 teats - you're a mighty man.

like biff i prefer my women with 4 teats.

• Like 2

Is there a rule that says the sub must come from the four named on the bench?

With respect to choosing a sub, I'm not a fan of anyone being a sub who can't or won't be asked to play on ball. With the limited rotations and pressure that on ballers face, why would a side pick as a sub someone who's just going to sit in the forward pocket? Too often I've seen teams play a sub who comes on for the last quarter and then barely gets involved because he's out of the play. Seems like a poor tactical decision. In my view, from the list of players selected, the best choice for sub would be M Jones, Michie, Terlich or Bail (or any one of the emergencies if they play).

• Like 1

Is there a rule that says the sub must come from the four named on the bench?

With respect to choosing a sub, I'm not a fan of anyone being a sub who can't or won't be asked to play on ball. With the limited rotations and pressure that on ballers face, why would a side pick as a sub someone who's just going to sit in the forward pocket? Too often I've seen teams play a sub who comes on for the last quarter and then barely gets involved because he's out of the play. Seems like a poor tactical decision. In my view, from the list of players selected, the best choice for sub would be M Jones, Michie, Terlich or Bail (or any one of the emergencies if they play).

As far as I know the only significant factor is being named in the 22. Where players line up can change quite freely. If any knows of firm rules in this regard I'd like to know them also.

You should try speaking to JKH, he will not be sitting there for three quarters getting nervous, if he is sub, he will be analyings and looking at the St Kilda defensive structures, so if and when he gets on, he knows where the weak spot is....this is a kid who was co captain of the Oakleigh Chargers who knows he is good

Not sure if this is hyperbole or reflective of reality, but it sounds great.

I wonder how many memberships are swinging on the outcome of this game?

Well, I would imagine that to win the first game of the season for the first time in how many years (7?) and to win at Etihad for the first time in 7 years must be worth a few memberships.

No major surprises. Georgiou and JKH deserve their debuts. Tyson, Cross, Vince and Michie strengthen our midfield considerably, while the Saints will go in without Steven, Hayes and Montagna (probably their 3 best). Minus Dal Santo too obviously.

I also have a sneaky suspicion that Pedo will step up.

Despite the positivity I will say names like Matt Jones, Byrnes, Bail and Nicholson as EMG are a reality check that we're still a bottom 4 side even if things go well this year, IMO.

On face value that is true, but once you add back Hogan, Dawes, Viney, McKenzie, Garland, Gawn, Salem, even Jetta ( on his recent practice form - although would need to be upgraded), and hopefully eventually Clark, our depth looks quite impressive. Once all those are available there is no way Matt Jones, Byrnes, Bail and nicholson would be in our top 25.

I would say our top side fully fit is definitely top 8 potential:

FD: Dunn. Frawley. Garland

HB: Grimes. McDonald. Vince

C: Toumpas. Watts. Viney

HF: Hogan. Dawes. Trengove

FF: Howe. Clark. JKH

Foll: Gawn. Tyson N Jones

Inter: Michie. Cross Fitz Sub. Salem

Emerg: Bleese. Bail. Jetta. Mckenzie

Certainly 40% better side than the one we are putting on the park on Saturday, simply because the bottom six are so much better. Would give most teams a run for their money IMHO.

• Like 4

I don't have a problem with Jones M. He did well last year and can only improve.

I don't know. Stagnation until slowly fading to delisting has been pretty common for a lot of our players. I think Matt is struggling with the Roos game plan. His best patches of play are when he links up well through the midfield as a runner. Using the ball more by foot across half back may suit Trengove and Vince but I don't think it suits Matt Jones. I'm also hoping to see a bit more power in his game around the contests and strong tackles. Mainly if he cuts out the bad turnovers he'll be a much better player. One reason he probably makes the side is because he's handy as a 7th defender capable of playing half back flank for a percentage of game time whilst each of the back 6 get their rest.

New year, fresh hope... Until you see spuds like bail, spencer, jones, Byrnes and Terlich still getting games.

What I'd give for some aggro and mongrel as well. Plenty of nice boys there with Hogan, Viney and. Kent missing. A very soft side. Thank goodness we're playing sandy zebras' midfield.

Just remind me where Terlich finished in the Bluey last year....?

Not a bad team save for two possibly three inclusions.

How Shannon Bynes gets a game with his modest stats and pre season form staggers me!

Toumpas must consider himself extremely lucky to have got a gig, and Pederson gets a gig only by virtue of lack of other tall options.

I would have had Blease for Toumpas ( easily I cannot how a bloke who can kick brilliant goals in a game and has electrifying pace cannot get a gig)

Jetta for Byrnes and Clisby for Pederson.

My side therefore would look like this

B TERLICH FRAWLEY GRIMES

HB DUNNE MC DONALD CLISBY

C JETTA MICHIE TYSON

HF BAIL FITZPATRICK BLEASE

F HOWE WATTS KENNEDY- HARRIS

R SPENCER JONES VINCE

inter CROSS, GEORGIO, TRENGOVE SUB M JONES

plenty of flexibility and with a bit of X Factor.

Pity I'm not a selector as I reckon this team beats the actual team hands down.

Edited by picket fence

Not a bad team save for two possibly three inclusions.

How Shannon Bynes gets a game with his modest stats and pre season form staggers me!

Toumpas must consider himself extremely lucky to have got a gig, and Pederson gets a gig only by virtue of lack of other tall options.

I would have had Blease for Toumpas ( easily I cannot how a bloke who can kick brilliant goals in a game and has electrifying pace cannot get a gig)

Jetta for Byrnes and Clisby for Pederson.

My side therefore would look like this

B TERLICH FRAWLEY GRIMES

HB DUNNE MC DONALD CLISBY

C JETTA MICHIE TYSON

HF BAIL FITZPATRICK BLEASE

F HOWE WATTS KENNEDY- HARRIS

R SPENCER JONES VINCE

inter CROSS, GEORGIO, TRENGOVE SUB M JONES

plenty of flexibility and with a bit of X Factor.

Pity I'm not a selector as I reckon this team beats the actual team hands down.

You need to get the ball before these are really effective.

• Like 1

Just checked in with Centrebet.

A lot of money for the Saints.

It could be even money by game time. (just the messenger)