Chip Frawley

Deemotivated

In the one post you say that players do leave contract discussions until the end of the season 'with no malice intended' (I am not entirely sure what that means) but that the reason he used to leave his contract discussions until the end of the season isn't believable?

What is a good reason? Other than the vague, catch-all "Football is a business" reason that he gave?

You can believe what you want, I am just curious to know what someone should say if they are genuine about their desire to not sign a contract for anyone until the season is over?

Jesse Hogan - "I don't want to sign an extension yet because I just want to concentrate on my footy".

Leaves us with nothing more to say/ask on the subject.

James Frawley - "I will leave contract talks until the end of the season so I can see which direction the club is heading", and "football is a business", and "if Roos signs I'll sign".

I've fixed it for him now, but unfortunately because he keeps coming up with negative reasons for not signing, it's just feeding the (media) masses and creating uncertainty. Perhaps a simple, "we've got a new coach so I really want to focus on playing my role for the team, which will hopefully see the MFC being more competitive/winning more games/rising up the ladder/etc".

From memory RP, you and I both thought that $cummy was going to re-sign, so I'm not surpirsed that you are taking Frawley for his word. But let's be honest, do you think he will be playing for the MFC next year? You know, what's your head telling you?

Unfortunately history would suggests 90% of trades are set up 12 months in advance. As such I reckon The odds are Chip is gone.

History would also suggest the majority of made-up facts are always correct 72% of the time.

Science would suggest that at 300 kelvin this is reduced to only 24% true.

Unfortunately history would suggests 90% of trades are set up 12 months in advance. As such I reckon The odds are Chip is gone.

Brace yourself Chook - RPFC will want proof of this statistic. And then if he does leave, he'll want to know why you think that his trade wasn't part of the 10% that weren't set up 12 months in advance.

He will also correct you by saying that Frawley is a free agent, so it won't be a trade as we know it.

That's just how he rolls.

Brace yourself Chook - RPFC will want proof of this statistic. And then if he does leave, he'll want to know why you think that his trade wasn't part of the 10% that weren't set up 12 months in advance.

He will also correct you by saying that Frawley is a free agent, so it won't be a trade as we know it.

By following common sense and logic?

Jesse Hogan - "I don't want to sign an extension yet because I just want to concentrate on my footy".

Leaves us with nothing more to say/ask on the subject.

James Frawley - "I will leave contract talks until the end of the season so I can see which direction the club is heading", and "football is a business", and "if Roos signs I'll sign".

I've fixed it for him now, but unfortunately because he keeps coming up with negative reasons for not signing, it's just feeding the (media) masses and creating uncertainty. Perhaps a simple, "we've got a new coach so I really want to focus on playing my role for the team, which will hopefully see the MFC being more competitive/winning more games/rising up the ladder/etc".

From memory RP, you and I both thought that $cummy was going to re-sign, so I'm not surpirsed that you are taking Frawley for his word. But let's be honest, do you think he will be playing for the MFC next year? You know, what's your head telling you?

I doubt I ever posted that I think Scully would have re-signed - only that we shouldn't have cursed him for his dithering.

This is where I was wrong - it was done a year in advance. There was no dithering.

I really don't know what to think with Frawley - the new era of Free Agency will bring more players delaying their contract talks until the end of the year for whatever reason they care to proffer. I am still inclined to believe he has not signed a contract - call me naïve, but I think that it will be a more frequent occurrence as we move into FA.

I stand corrected re use of the team trade although that's what it amounts to with a compensation pick.

It has come to light that The Scully, Ablett, Franklin deals were in place well in advance.

Please, Billy, you are exposing yourself.

The previous few years of Ablett and Scully have certainly been an affront to the game where we have players running around knowing they will leave their current club at the end of the year - they have already signed a contract.

But that is not the vast majority or even the vast minority of how players are moving clubs.

A more robust and expansive Free Agency system would have rules in place that banned players and their agents from talking to clubs outside of the FA Signing Month, and from their own club signing them outside of that month too.

This would mean that the AFL enters the 21st century and has a set up more akin to the NBA and the NFL - two draft regulated sports where FA is a help to poor performing clubs - not a hindrance.

It's fascinating that we have put our best defensive team on the field just as we've moved Frawley forward.

Not saying that Frawley is anything but a top shelf AA defender.

More to point out that teamwork and systems is what improves a team, the individual performances is the cream on top.

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 5

It's fascinating that we have put our best defensive team on the field just as we've moved Frawley forward.

More to point out that teamwork and systems is what improves a team, the individual performances is the cream on top.

I agree Paul, however it helps when the whole team plays defensively and it's not getting bombed in 100 times a game....

Great coaching IMO.

• Like 1

I stand corrected re use of the team trade although that's what it amounts to with a compensation pick.

It has come to light that The Scully, Ablett, Franklin deals were in place well in advance.

So... 3 deals out of how many numerous trades and FA dealings makes 90%..?

Do you remember Travis Cloke holding off before signing when it suited him?

Matthew Pavlich? Mumford obviously did, because he had to, by virtue of the secret Franklin deal.

Dustin Martin? Pendlebury?

Your claim simply doesn't add up.

Midfielders running both ways, even forwards, and adherence to defensive structures.

I reckon chips agreed to a club after the Carlton game as he's been dog ordinary ever since.

You don't get to play on Michael Jamison every week!

Some of his efforts have been decent. Some have been that of a guy who isn't a forward. He's still be more effective than Jake Carlisle at Essendon.

Time for him to go back to his rightful spot and Dunny to play forward I think.

What we he know about whether Frawley is worth 800k or 500k?

The cap will be just over $10m next year and we have to pay somebody.

Spread $9.5m over the list and Frawley is going to get paid some coin (we have to pay the cap floor).

It does depend who else we throw coin at though, R. I generally agree though.

I like Chipper, and I won't hold a huge grudge if he leaves, but he will look a little silly if he leaves on the back of a season of 6-7 wins after saying it was about seeing what direction the club was moving in.

Good old Blind Freddy can see the club is now moving in the right direction, and he will still be around by the time it is playing finals and making a challenge.

I really hope he stays, but I'm guessing Hawthorn have already shown him the paperwork.

Great post, Paul. But equally, I'd argue that in clutch games (say Grand Finals), having 'top shelf' defenders gives your side the edge, over a team of role players.

Edited by AdamFarr

You only have to look at last year to see that while most players who put talks on hold leave not all of them do, Jack Watts was genuinely undecided and Roosy being on board convinced him to stay

I would not discount the possibility that a few more wins might well see Chip stay on, having said that if he leaves we will be compensated with what I consider overs so we really come out of it okay either way

although it's not ideal if your best players can just walk.

Great post, Paul. But equally, I'd argue that in clutch games (say Grand Finals), having 'top shelf' defenders gives your side the edge, over a team of role players.

Totally agree. To win flags you need every factor in your favour...

The great alignment. :)

One day.

• Like 1

don't underestimate the internal improvement, yesterday was the best game I have seen from grimes, Dunn and Jetta have been fantastic and Mcdonald I'd say has gone ahead of frawley now.

make no mistake we have a genuine top 8 if not top 4 defensive unit right now.

Few people have said that about his out in the full. It was a skill error, he tried to go down the line close to the boundary which is the correct decision. It was a horrific skill error, but nothing to do with footy smarts.

I'm not so sure. Frawley doesn't think his way through situations terribly well. He plays on instinct.. Whilst the kick may have not come off the way he would have liked, I still think his decision to go that far wide straight away showed his lack of footy smarts.

I like Chipper, and I won't hold a huge grudge if he leaves, but he will look a little silly if he leaves on the back of a season of 6-7 wins after saying it was about seeing what direction the club was moving in.

Good old Blind Freddy can see the club is now moving in the right direction, and he will still be around by the time it is playing finals and making a challenge.

I really hope he stays, but I'm guessing Hawthorn have already shown him the paperwork.

I will.

But that's me.