James Strauss?

dazzledavey36

Poor kid can't catch a break if true. Definitely not what he needed after his rusty performance last week.He's out of contract this year correct?

It's funny how varied opinions of Strauss can be, I thought he was more than solid and defensively is nearly our best small defender

rusty performance last week

he was one of the shining lights last week

I'm confused......

I think James is well behind about 5 players wanting a small defender role.

Yet to see him to produce anything of excitement or for me to think he belongs on an AFL list.

At the end of 2014 I strongly doubt he will be.

• Like 1

Never Ever could understand how he even made the list much less stayed on it. Lacks awareness, Speed, X factor, and his supposed kicking skills are not that good ( witness his shocking turnover last week) I know those that love him say Yeah but he had a badly broken leg but he clearly aint up to it and never will be!

Plenty in front for his place!

• Like 1

I'm confused......

I think James is well behind about 5 players wanting a small defender role.

Yet to see him to produce anything of excitement or for me to think he belongs on an AFL list.

At the end of 2014 I strongly doubt he will be.

I have a similar opinion deeko

Any long term injury might nearly be the end for JS.

Old dee and deeko did u guys see last weeks game?

No

But there seems to be divided opinion on how good he was.

I have had a low opinion of him since day one and constant injuries have reduced my belief even further.

No matter how good you are if you cannot get on the park you are not much use e.g. Clark

• Like 3

I'm surprised by how under-rated Strauss is by most supporters, but I firmly believe he'll be a mainstay in our back 6 going forward.

His attacking movements were very good in NAB 1, in spite of a couple of preseason standard errors.

I have a low opinion of him Machsy on top of that every year he seems to be injured more than not.

You cannot help win games if you are in the outer with the fans.

i did, and ii thought he was pretty standard - lost his man on cross over, turned the ball over by foot, lacked composure under pressure.

basically, all the failings he's always had to my (untrained) eye.

hope he proves me wrong, cos every time i watch zaharakis running around for the peptides i sigh about what could have been. same goes for seeing schuey for meth coke, when compared to blease.

No

But there seems to be divided opinion on how good he was.

I have had a low opinion of him since day one and constant injuries have reduced my belief even further.

No matter how good you are if you cannot get on the park you are not much use e.g. Clark

He wasn't much more than a link up player in my opinion, people need to watch Dean Terlich and Jack Grimes, they were both far better off half back than Strauss

• Like 1

On watching the game over, twice it looked like Strauss had been beaten by Aaron Edwards, only to rewind it back and see Georgiou and Dunn were on him those times, once where he dropped a relatively easy leading mark, and another where he had an easy shot at goal but missed. Strauss was beaten on the lead once, after a turnover then poor defensive work upfield.

He made a horrible clanger at one stage, but also had great vision and made exemplary long attacking kicks leading to forward movements that should've resulted in goals. He also adhered to structures well.

There were 2 times where I had to wind the vision back after Strauss made horrible kicks, only to find it was actually Nicholson.

• Like 4

That makes him sound like he was perfect. He wasn't.

But I was trying to illustrate that there were multiple times when I was disappointed in him, wound it back and saw the blame lay with others.

If he has a serious knee injury do you see him getting another contract Machsy?

If he has a serious knee injury do you see him getting another contract Machsy?

I think he is one that has this year only to prove himself.

Whether there have been glimpses or not - if he doesn't get on the paddock and fit and prove himself he wont get another contract.

He was drafted in 2008. By my count, that's 6 years on our list come year's end.

Injuries aside (and if they are still an excuse after 6 years, clearly his body isn't up to the rigours of AFL), he has done nothing over those 6 years to warrant a contract extension (even Tapscott played one decent game - his debut).

Needs to put in an absolute blinder this year to even be considered for a new contract. Another BP special!

• Like 3

I think he is one that has this year only to prove himself.

Whether there have been glimpses or not - if he doesn't get on the paddock and fit and prove himself he wont get another contract.

that is my opinion as well nutbean.

you preserve with good players not average ones that are injury prone

Apparently nothing more than a small ankle injury I heard from someone who was at the Leongatha camp today. Hoping he gets up for the Hawks game but we'll wait and see.

CCouldn't agree with you more Mach, its a preseason game, and Strauss should never be matched up against Edwards irrespectively. I've said it a few times, watch the game he broke his leg and he was giving at the time Gartlett in AA squad form at the time an absolute bath. Back him in for 6 weeks and we'll find our best attacking back flanker.

• Like 5

Old dee and deeko did u guys see last weeks game?

I'm with you Don. I don't get how negative people are about Strauss.

I went to last weeks game and some whacker was from the get go yelling insults at Strauss - the biggest one when he turned the ball over (which incidentally did not result in a goal). What's worse (and a complete pet hate of mine) was he was a MFC supporter. So i really watched Strauss closely and yelled my support when he went near the ball.

Strauss played really well in the tigers game. He linked up well, was solid with his handball (often getting the ball to free players behind him in space) and after the turnover in the first q barely missed a kick. His only real misstep was the fumble on the wing that allowed the tiges to regain possession and stopped a potentially promising move. Whilst the tigers then scored a goal its a bit of a stretch to blame him for it given it was on the wing. Even if you do blame him for that goal he got one back with a beautiful kick from half back to half forward to, i think Bail who then gave it to Howe for a goal.

I got home and was surprised when i jumped on DL how many people were bagging him. So when i watched the replay i again watched Strauss closely. And again all i saw was a good, solid game from a player who had a role and carried it out. I've read people say he lacks awareness and that he is too easily beaten one on one. I saw nothing that supports either assertion, particularly the former criticism.

And as for the kicking turnover? You have to be kidding. There were far worse culprits, Frawley (whose turnover actually cost a goal, at what was a critical time in the match) Trenners, Grimes, Michie, Vince and Jones just to name a few. Jones was also guilty of trying to do much (and perhaps lacking awareness?) and giving away a goal when he got caught near their goals.

He was, in my view, in our top ten players on the night and i suspect if injury free will be in our round 1 side (which if the case indicates Roos is also a fan).

I'm not saying Strauss is a star or that he doesn't have limitations. But I really believe he is the sort of player Roos is referring to when he talks about players carrying mental scars as that hesitancy people have noted, is, i think, in part a product of poor coaching and development. I reckon he has, like many of his team mates, been playing with fear - fear to make a mistake, fear of not following the rules, fear of failure etc - which causes them to freeze and not back themselves.

Once he gets more confident, and has a coach who encourages him to back himself and play with some freedom (from being criticised as much as anything else) i think he will become a regular best 22 player and be exactly the sort of role player Roos loves.

Edited by binman
  • Like 9