Training - Monday 16th December, 2013

Whispering_Jack

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I have no issue with bagging for players being unfit, lazy or looking disinterested but getting stuck into a player for being injured is just plain disrespectful.

The comment smells more of frustration than anything else to me CB.

Tyson looks very sharp on the track, his foot skills are good, but his hands in tight are elite. And by elite I mean when you watch a contested drill in close his hands are noticeably faster and cleaner than pretty much everyone bar jones. As far as pick 2 goes, I see it as smart trading, he is 2 years into development already, highly rated we upgraded to pick 9 because of it.

This video may leave a positive vibe for you, Looks class to me - http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=q6yxP3hPW5M

We all have our players that we either love or hate. The ones we love we will turn a blind eye to their flaws and the ones we hate we will always highlight their flaws.

On Dawes, he balances our forward line. Clark is more a leading, pack mark with good roving skills forward, Fitzy is more a lead up forward, Hogan will be more complete but needs time to add strength, Dawes gives us the strength body to body as well as that hard lead up, he is more that old school power forward mold. You know with Dawes, bomb it long he will compete and bring it to ground or be that step ladder for Howe and Clark.

Hopefully we will see Dawes, Hogan, Clark and Howe up forward come round 1

I'm not jumping picking on dawes now he's injured, my point is I don't think we will ever get value for money for him. We gave up a bit to get him, and just my personal opinion is he has horrible hands for a power forward. I didn't rate him when he was fit last year, I didn't rate him at collingwood. I would love nothing more than to be proved wrong and the trio down there work perfectly together, I'm a melbourne supporter after all, not a player basher.

I'm not jumping picking on dawes now he's injured, my point is I don't think we will ever get value for money for him. We gave up a bit to get him, and just my personal opinion is he has horrible hands for a power forward. I didn't rate him when he was fit last year, I didn't rate him at collingwood. I would love nothing more than to be proved wrong and the trio down there work perfectly together, I'm a melbourne supporter after all, not a player basher.

You never mentioned any of that, you pointed out how he was injured and not competing in drills as the basis for your criticism.

Edited by Clint Bizkit

The why put two or three comments in an otherwise great report bashing him

As CB says - you had a go at him for being injured - so maybe you are a player basher.

Hopefully Tyson gets over his knee issues and can play some games - he cost an effload more than Dawes.

I think it is ok to be frustrated when players are out injured for extended periods.

I am frustrated with Dawes and Clark , I know they would be hating the injuries much more than me and did not get injured on purpose.

However when a player of their calibre and cost has trouble getting on the park it is very frustrating.

At this point ( end of 2013 )IMO the Dawes and Clark acquisitions are a failure.

2014 may well turn that around.

I think it is ok to be frustrated when players are out injured for extended periods.

I am frustrated with Dawes, I know he would be hating the injuries much more than me and did not get injured on purpose.

However when a player of his caliber and cost has trouble getting on the park it is very frustrating.

At this point ( end of 2013 )IMO the Dawes acquisition is a failure.

2014 may well turn that around.

I think there is some inconsistency in the argument. Surely the Mitch Clark acquisition would be classed a "failure" on that criterion, but I don't see the same level of angst amongst supporters as with Chris Dawes.

I think there is some inconsistency in the argument. Surely the Mitch Clark acquisition would be classed a "failure" on that criterion, but I don't see the same level of angst amongst supporters as with Chris Dawes.

Sorry LDC I have correct the quote and added Clark

Anyway let's get past that. I'm not sure what you meant by Tapscott's lost, then you say he's joined the main group?

Was that a typo?

As CB says - you had a go at him for being injured - so maybe you are a player basher.

Hopefully Tyson gets over his knee issues and can play some games - he cost an effload more than Dawes.

Tyson has his knee heavily strapped as a precaution, probably more psychological than anything at the moment, I asked him a couple of weeks ago, his knee is feeling great, as soon as training is finished it comes off, he has no restriction in his movement that I can see in watching the drills

Edited by Satyriconhome

Thanks tappy and all for getting down. I feel a bit like Mitch Clark, he unable to get on the park and I, unable to get to training.

Dawes not only is a good acquisition for his ability but let's not forget last year it was a team so devoid of leadership, BH's ego would be more capable of leading a group of men. When he played last year, he gave the team structure it has much longed for, and his hands and leading patterns were much better than I thought.

Whether he gets on the park or not, he is still an excellent leader of a very young forward group. Even Clark who we consider a great leader has barely no finals experience, and did walk out on the club albeit to the benefit of us.

Give it two years and he'll be paying us back in spades. Let's not forget it's not like he's holding back our salary cap, noone wanted to come here, and hardly any others deserve the money they're on currently let alone an increase!

Good point. Money and picks aren't worth that much too us at the time. We've had plenty of both to use with no success.

I'm a bit more worried about Vince in terms of picks and money! And a 3-4 year deal at 28 not 24

I suspect he was being facetious in that Tappy's always with the rehab group, so if he was with the main group he must have "got lost" and found himself in the wrong group.

Now you've explained it I wish I hadn't asked the question; my sarcasm meter must have failed me.

I just returned from training, so here are some notes of mine:-

* firstly to those who were wondering why they did this "kids day" today and not on the weekend, they had busloads of local school kids come to training, so I think that was their main point.

* Dom Tyson has silky skills, he glides across the ground and makes kicking the ball look easy. Would love to be a forward leading to him. He does need to work on his fitness, as he was battling at times, he was however pushing through the pain/fatigue.

* Cross and Vince will be great pick ups, they are both so clean and make the rights decisions in all drills. Also Michie looks good, big body and has really good foot skills.

* It was the best I have ever seen Watts train and move. I have always been a fan of his, but he was pushing so hard and fast to make the next contest in each drill, and then his skills were sublime as usual. Really looking forward to see him this year. I think he should try ro be our "Barlow" (probably not as tough, but is quicker!).

* The drills they did all day were fairly simple, but they focussed on decision making/good skills and pushing to the next contest. I was happily surprised with the all round skill of everyone. It was up to a standard I would expect from AFL players under no pressure! Which is not always what we see at MFC sessions.

* The young draftees are bloody small and will need to build up, but that is expected. Salem was a bit hit and miss with his kicks, either spectacular or floaters. Hunt looks super fast and worked hard. Georgiou looks ungainly but got to the right spots and moved well in the drills. The one I was most impressed with was Harmes, he moves well and got heaps of the ball.

* I think Jones will be skipper this year too, so vocal on the track!

* Was great to see Tappy moving around in the main group, he looks fit and ready to go. Really needs to make the most of this time to put his hand up. Was training with the forward group, so I guess thats where Roos likes him.

* Overall, one of the better sessions I have seen, in terms of structure and application. Really looking forward to seeing how it all works out!

Other than that, I can't add more than previous posters but I am happy to answer any questions.

Good point. Money and picks aren't worth that much too us at the time. We've had plenty of both to use with no success.

I'm a bit more worried about Vince in terms of picks and money! And a 3-4 year deal at 28 not 24

aaahhhhh......watch him at training.......his kicking is beautiful........he is bouncing around at training.....new lease of life.........has something to prove.....if he can get back to 2009 form watch out!!

The reason Nicho is hitting his targets is there are some now, the one thing I have noticed from all the training drills I have watched is Roos wants 3 or 4 options and moving in waves, if you don't do, he stops the drill and hammers it home

I must be dreaming...Melbourne is learning how to play that game...... you know......FOOTY !! ^_^