Dean Terlich - Good player or defensive liability?

Arrow

Love Terlich's attack on the ball and willingness to take the game on but his two strengths also lead to his biggest weaknesses in that he leaves his man and also attempts to do too much. Such things can be refined with a good coach. Also a bit harsh to talk average goals conceded against players who are not having the number of inside 50s even close to what our defence have to handle. Like most he will look better defensively as the side improves and with a lack of similar style players can see him being a mainstay for a good portion of the year.

Don't mind Dean. In a team that was habitually flogged I thought he generally held his own. If truth be known, Bruce Doull would have been found wanting such was the speed the ball entered our back half at times.

Interesting, quite mixed which is what I expected. The master you're incorrect I don't think there's a 'saviour' at all! In fact we didn't draft a single back pocket, so we'd need to find from within. terlich played as a defensive forward at Norwood, is that more suited? I said in the OP, I don't think he's our best option at BP. Doesn't mean I'm not grateful what he did for us last year. Will we rise with him in 2014. I think not.

Don't mind Dean. In a team that was habitually flogged I thought he generally held his own. If truth be known, Bruce Doull would have been found wanting such was the speed the ball entered our back half at times.

Yes it's all about time and space at this level. Terlich had none of that in 2013. If things go to plan in 2014 he hopefully has more time and more space to get the ball and deliver, along with the rest of the back line. If his tendency is naturally to attack, he could be a weapon for us. Maybe!

I loved his hardness however was always nervous when he or any other of his backline comrades had the ball as there we never any movement up ahead (not there fault). Instead he was forced to try pin point near impossible passes. He reminds of Bartram but with with better skills and better beard.

I like the comparisons between Mullett and himself but feel Mullett would have greater spread and therefore less chance of shanking the kicks.

Refer to contested/uncontested thread. Who did he have available to kick it to? Not confident about the accuracy of his disposal but his commitment cannot be questioned. We will hopefully gain a more complete understanding next season when he looks up and has to decide which of several positive options is best and then (hopefully) delivers the ball to advantage.

Yeah i think we will know the fate of Terlich by the halfway mark of the season. Roos will give him a chance and he would need to really improve defensive side of his game, especially now we have a lot more midfielders who roos could bring off a half back to replace him

I rate the guy highly. There are a number of contributing factors as to why players like himself were caught out last year. Our shocking midfield being one.

I agree that he may need to tighten up a bit in some cases. Perhaps at stoppages in our defensive 50 for example. He has a very offensive game sense. But his run off, attack and willingness to take the game on is something I haven't seen since Whelan. He is aggressive and strong and I reckon his kicking is fine.

His decision making is also fine. He's one of very few who wants to make bold decisions. Try and hit out players on their own rather than kicking to a contest every time. Way too many of our players play extremely conservative footy because of their lack of confidence.

Defensively, he'll be better next year which will partly be thanks to our midfield improvement. I reckon he's a beauty and his game will improve ten fold when the team does.

Edited by stevethemanjordan

Like /\ /\

Terlich tries to do too much and runs himself in to trouble far too often; that's probably why he regularly turns the ball over.

You could have been writing about N Jones circa 2007/2008. Jones learned to eliminate that problem. Hopefully Terlich can too. But if he can't I think he'll struggle to stay in the team as others go past him.

Pros: courage, good pace, finds the footy well, takes the game on

Cons: needs to tighten up, turns the footy over too often by foot, needs to tighten up, questionable decision making (I disagree with Steve - again)

How many of Dunn, Clisby and Terlich will get games next year. I like the look of Clisby hope he goes ahead of the other two.

Jury is still out with me.

Jury is out will all our players for me. I feel for blokes like Tynan and Taggert who got to play their entire AFL career under Neeld and his FD. How many other players taken in the 2011 ND are not on AFL lists now?

I've not been to training this year and am grateful to those that have and have shared their views. From what one can glean the atmosphere and training is quite different.

Players with AFL qualities will now have a chance to thrive where they didn't last year. I hope blokes like Terlich, Jones and McKenzie, who IMO has come in for some unwarranted criticism, succeed because in all the gloom of 2012 and 2013 put their best foot forward and gave something to the team where others just didn't.

I don't reckon we've got much idea about any on our list who were there for the last two years. What I do believe is that we'll now see what they've got.

It's interesting to note the positive comments and performances of Fitzy this preseason. Neeld told him he was not up to AFL footy and just wasting his time. He got through it and played good football once Craig invested a little confidence in him.

There will be many who will surprise this year and it will be fun watching who.

Jury is out will all our players for me. I feel for blokes like Tynan and Taggert who got to play their entire AFL career under Neeld and his FD. How many other players taken in the 2011 ND are not on AFL lists now?

I've not been to training this year and am grateful to those that have and have shared their views. From what one can glean the atmosphere and training is quite different.

Players with AFL qualities will now have a chance to thrive where they didn't last year. I hope blokes like Terlich, Jones and McKenzie, who IMO has come in for some unwarranted criticism, succeed because in all the gloom of 2012 and 2013 put their best foot forward and gave something to the team where others just didn't.

I don't reckon we've got much idea about any on our list who were there for the last two years. What I do believe is that we'll now see what they've got.

It's interesting to note the positive comments and performances of Fitzy this preseason. Neeld told him he was not up to AFL footy and just wasting his time. He got through it and played good football once Craig invested a little confidence in him.

There will be many who will surprise this year and it will be fun watching who.

I hope your "many" is correct

Mind you, we traded out of the early stages of the 2011 draft, and Taggert was a bit of a surprise selection, seemingly for his size and an email he wrote to Neeld.

Tynan had courage, but what else?

He didn't have exceptional skills and he didn't have the pace or agility to be the small defender his height dictated he had to become.

Still, your point stands about other players from the same draft still being on AFL lists.

How can you possibly think that? Strauss has had 5 years at the club for 6 games. He has shown zero.

I am not a fan C&B however he has had more than 6 games.

The figure is 24 games and to be fair he has missed the best part of two seasons with serious leg injuries etc.

How can you possibly think that? Strauss has had 5 years at the club for 6 games. He has shown zero.

He's a better kick, a better athlete, has had a tough run with injuries and is a better player than most realise, in my opinion.

You're free to disagree.

Well it's actually 24 games but don't worry about that.

In his first year he did his shoulder and didn't play a significant part of the year having had an ankle injury leading into the season.

In his second year he was played too early and lost confidence playing most of his time in the VFL. Not unusual for a second year player.

In his third year he played regularly in the second half of the season before the horrendous injury to his leg which impacted him through his 4th year.

In his 4th and 5th year he was coached by Neeld.

I think he's shown a bit. A bit. I think there is a good chance he'll succeed if someone shows some faith in him. He's a kid that needs development and support, he needs the confidence of the FD. For the first time since his leg injury he'll have that. He's got some good attributes. I don't know if he will make it but as I said above, you wouldn't want to judge him on his last 2 years and before that he had a shocking time with injury.

Well it's actually 24 games but don't worry about that.

In his first year he did his shoulder and didn't play a significant part of the year having had an ankle injury leading into the season.

In his second year he was played too early and lost confidence playing most of his time in the VFL. Not unusual for a second year player.

In his third year he played regularly in the second half of the season before the horrendous injury to his leg which impacted him through his 4th year.

In his 4th and 5th year he was coached by Neeld.

I think he's shown a bit. A bit. I think there is a good chance he'll succeed if someone shows some faith in him. He's a kid that needs development and support, he needs the confidence of the FD. For the first time since his leg injury he'll have that. He's got some good attributes. I don't know if he will make it but as I said above, you wouldn't want to judge him on his last 2 years and before that he had a shocking time with injury.

Strauss ,Blease,Jetta,Evans-all of them could be termed "list cloggers" due to this scenario.

We can only hope they can deliver in the middle and end of their careers and repay the clubs faith in their ability.

I think Strauss will own the spot many would be thinking belongs to Terlich.

He's a better kick, a better athlete, has had a tough run with injuries and is a better player than most realise, in my opinion.

You're free to disagree.

I hope that you are right but seriously, for whatever excuses / reasons, he has shown just about nothing in his 5 years. Mooted as 'an elite kick' but has never had enough of the ball to demonstrate if this is fact or fiction.

I think we would all agree that he must show something other than potential or promise this year or it will be his last.

Agree with Bob.

And I think he's one that will thrive under the encouragement and constructive environment provided by Roos and guys like George Stone.

Strauss' body is finally back to where it was pre-injury. Mentally he has matured.

He's ready to go, and with a new coaching dept will get the opportunity.

edit: If he puts in the work, which he will.

Reminds me of Alex Johnson, at the swans.

Fits the Roos mould of private schoolboy selections that fill a role, as detailed in another thread.

Edited by Machsy

I hope that you are right but seriously, for whatever excuses / reasons, he has shown just about nothing in his 5 years. Mooted as 'an elite kick' but has never had enough of the ball to demonstrate if this is fact or fiction.

I think we would all agree that he must show something other than potential or promise this year or it will be his last.

Well then I can honestly say I don't think you've been paying enough attention.

I've seen his elite kick and decision-making demonstrated plenty of times.

And his defensive skills & toughness have come a long long way from his days as a skinny kid getting beat up by Hawthorn in his 2nd year (which a lot of people remember most readily).

I think your last sentence goes without saying and you'd be hard pressed to find someone who disagreed.

Agree with Bob.

And I think he's one that will thrive under the encouragement and constructive environment provided by Roos and guys like George Stone.

Strauss' body is finally back to where it was pre-injury. Mentally he has matured.

He's ready to go, and with a new coaching dept will get the opportunity.

Interesting Mach, with this topic I was thinking who I thought would thrive and Strauss did spring to mind. Both his bad injuries, his broken leg was caused by smothering at the time a raging Jeff Garlett, and than the shoulder this year against Freo was an incredibly athletic spoil against Fyfe. Both of them prove he has the defensive ability to beat good footballers.

Just by watching him, I feel he's been the opposite to Terlich, plays too defensively and it could be a product of how bad we are. I went to a few Casey games in the middle of the year and his run and carry was very good, just didn't transition to AFL. With a good defensive structure and some faith from the coaching staff I agree he could come on.

I feel like there's 2 spots for Clisby, Dunn, Strauss Terlich and maybe even Jetta.

Saying Terlich's decision making and disposal is suspect is extremely harsh, the real problem was further up field, with players not working hard enough to make themselves a viable target. If Roos can improve the players desire to work hard for their teammates, disposal and decision making will improve dramatically, not just from Terlich but from a host of others whose disposal is constantly questioned.

Have seen this at training with Roos picking up on poor positioning and leading by players rather than those who are trying to pass the ball to said players ( Fitzy is one who springs to mind )