Travis Varcoe

Pates

So I just heard on SEN that he's up for trade. At his best a couple of years ago he was one of the key play makers for the cats, I would be seriously looking at him if I were Roos. He's only 25 so he also fits our age model, only question for me is his body.

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/geelong-is-willing-to-consider-speedster-travis-varcoe-as-a-possible-trade-option/story-fn69a32t-1226732498088

Flaky, lazy, doesn't run two ways, outside distributor with good skills, smooth mover, X factor, always injured...

Some of that sounds like a typical Melbourne player. The old Melbourne. Not the Roos Melbourne. And not where we are right now.

• Like 4

I rate him as a player, and I think he would be good as the icing on top, perhaps not a bread and butter player which we need to build the midfield with.

I reckon he would be shopped around for a late first round/early second round pick. I'd rate him as an an upgrade over Sylvia in terms of output.

I don't think I can come up with anything where it would see us letting pick 2 go. (Maybe if they bundled him with Mitch Duncan or Jackson Thurlow... but thats unlikely)

Flaky, lazy, doesn't run two ways, outside distributor with good skills, smooth mover, X factor, always injured...

Some of that sounds like a typical Melbourne player. The old Melbourne. Not the Roos Melbourne. And not where we are right now.

Back in 2009 he used to run hard, and both ways.

Possibly still could, with the right coaching.

It's still a no from me, since the cats want a 1st rounder or else they'll keep him.

Just not really what we want or need, especially at that cost.

That was several years ago.

He is much better than that now.

But the Cats wont trade him anyhow.

He is lightning-as fast as Jetta, Burgoyne or Garlett.

That was several years ago.

He is much better than that now.

But the Cats wont trade him anyhow.

He is lightning-as fast as Jetta, Burgoyne or Garlett.

Last year he played 1 game and this year he played 14 games and averaged a whopping 12 disposals.

Varcoe's best was as good as Dale Thomas best. Geelong have an embarrassment of riches in Motlop, Christensen, Stokes. Subject to medical clearance I'm keen. The main thing thing that would worry me is that Wells must rate Aish to do a deal.

Varcoe's best was as good as Dale Thomas best. Geelong have an embarrassment of riches in Motlop, Christensen, Stokes. Subject to medical clearance I'm keen. The main thing thing that would worry me is that Wells must rate Aish to do a deal.

That's patent rubbish.

At his best in 2010 and 2011 Thomas averaged 24 and 25 disposals per game in 20+ game seasons. Varcoe has never once averaged more than 16 disposals per game in his 7 years.

If you're meaning that Varcoe can light up a quarter as good as anyone at his best that's a different matter. But to be talking about a players' best one must never overlook consistent output, which is what you've just done.

• Like 1

Last year he played 1 game and this year he played 14 games and averaged a whopping 12 disposals.

Seem to recall you berating someone in typical condescending BH style the other day for quoting stats as an indication of a players worth.

Not like you to be hypocritical....

Seem to recall you berating someone in typical condescending BH style the other day for quoting stats as an indication of a players worth.

Not like you to be hypocritical....

Nincompoop.

One poster was using the stats of a 10 game player (Jed Lamb) to assess his worth, and dismissed him out of hand as he hadn't seen him play, while stats for Varcoe and Thomas help complete the picture of players we are all very familiar with.

Thomas has had two genuine A-grade years and at one point was called the best player in the competition by Ross Lyon, while Varcoe has never come close to an A-grade year. For '55' to say that Varcoe's best is as good as Thomas' was absurd. Although I hasten to add that unlike you '55' is a quality poster.

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 1

No thank you. I had with The Age fantasy footy and watched him closely over several games. Injuries have wrecked him, just doesn't get enough of the ball any more. His main strength now is tackling.

Too much of a risk for me, unless it's for a much later pick.

Nincompoop.

One poster was using the stats of a 10 game player (Jed Lamb) to assess his worth, and dismissed him out of hand as he hadn't seen him play, while stats for Varcoe and Thomas help complete the picture of players we are all very familiar with.

Thomas has had two genuine A-grade years and at one point was called the best player in the competition by Ross Lyon, while Varcoe has never come close to an A-grade year. For '55' to say that Varcoe's best is as good as Thomas' was absurd. Although I hasten to add that unlike you '55' is a quality poster.

Oh I get it... Stats are ok to bring up if it's you, but if it's someone else then you ridicule them... Sounds about par for your course.

Hypocrite.

That's not what he said and you know it. Don't derail a thread with your personal vendetta.

He blasted someone and labelled them an idiot for quoting stats about a young player, then he quoted 1 seasons worth of stats for Varcoe.

Biggest hypocrite on this site, and I for one am sick and tired of him putting every other poster here down for their thoughts and opinions. If you only want to give opinions then start a friggin blog.

He blasted someone and labelled them an [censored] for quoting stats about a young player, then he quoted 1 seasons worth of stats for Varcoe.

Biggest hypocrite on this site, and I for one am sick and tired of him putting every other poster here down for their thoughts and opinions. If you only want to give opinions then start a friggin blog.

You're even thicker than I thought.

Biffen said Varcoe had been good lately and that the concerns I voiced were from some years ago, but not "now". I then proceeded to give his "lately" stats, i.e. the last 2 years, which contradicted Biffen's assertions.

As usual, this significant point will escape you.

Second dumbest poster I've ever come across. Congrats.

• Like 3

Oh please, now i have heard it all. You need to let your obsession with BH go Stuie, im positive he does not give you a second thought, You even have a quote of his as your signature FFS

He blasted someone and labelled them an [censored] for quoting stats about a young player, then he quoted 1 seasons worth of stats for Varcoe.

This club right now needs senior players to build the team around, Travis is an erratic type that will pop up occasionally to do things for the highlight reel. Add to that some seriously injury-prone tendencies.

I have little to no interest in getting him to the MFC, especially if something half-decent has to be put on the trade table to get him here.

You're even thicker than I thought.

Biffen said Varcoe had been good lately and that the concerns I voiced were from some years ago, but not "now". I then proceeded to give his "lately" stats, i.e. the last 2 years, which contradicted Biffen's assertions.

As usual, this significant point will escape you.

Second dumbest poster I've ever come across. Congrats.

Hahahaha... Wow. For the self proclaimed genius of Demonland you STILL miss the point 3 replies later...

You shot down someone for using stats to make a point. You then went on to use stats to make a point.

You're a hypocrite. Plain and simple.

Edited by stuie