Clash jumper 2014

Whispering_Jack

The reason I ask is there is no hard and fast logic to anyone's clash jumper. It seems differing rules apply to different clubs.

As in the past there is ample area in oter parts of the strip to provide 'meaningful" differentiation.

Some of the occasions we wore the clash strip actually worsened the problem, often where there WASNT one !!

I agree bb and I realised what you were getting at.

The biggest farce of the season was the last game between Carlton and Port.

Port wore the old Black and white prison strip and Carlton the white front navy back ( that is almost black )

With any ones eye balls it was the greatest confusion of black and white I think I have ever seen at an AFL game.

It makes a absolute farce of want to have two jumpers that do not clash, that is do not look alike.

I just want to win games mate the rest is of little consequence to me at present.

• Like 1

I would've thought we'd wear the white strip V Dogs (last week) given that both clubs wear read and blue.

No need. Their blue is much lighter than ours and as such there's no clash at all.

Case in point - watch the two games we played against them. Clear difference.

yep ...losing is fine :huh:

You don't seriously believe that wearing white makes us play worse, do you?

No need. Their blue is much lighter than ours and as such there's no clash at all.

Case in point - watch the two games we played against them. Clear difference.

You don't seriously believe that wearing white makes us play worse, do you?

royal blue mean anything to you ?

Jumpers

Bugler

Hoisting a flag

Pyro techniques

Motor cross ramp jumps

Bands

3 mascots (why the f you'd have 3 is beyond me)

Signage on a stand

Stars of making incomplete circle ( huh????)

2 renditions of a club song because we know your not going to hear it when it counts

Whiteboards

Desks

Red and blue prints (forgot the yellow in the printer obviously)

Base camp

Coaches office

This club has been everything except the one thing that football is about time we (royal we) focus one thing.

Win that is it that is all.

• Like 1

So you do actually think that wearing white makes us play worse?

Read what I'm saying closely before you answer - do you think that putting on a white jumper makes our players play worse?

History suggests we aren't overly successful in either of late. Im not a fan of white jumpers., no.

Red isn't a "light" colour according to the AFL. It's all about having a light and dark jumper.

its rubbish. Look at Messendon

For all those years when there was no such thing as clash jumpers.......No one had a problem telling the difference between the two teams.....and this was in a period when the grounds were far less pristine than they are now.....Mud and slush......The clash jumpers are just a money making exercise for clubs and the AFL

If you look at the replays of us playing the bulldogs when we got into the finals for the first time in 1987.....There was no clash at all.....

• Like 1

and Richmond

what is Collingwood light or Dark

they make it up as they go along

we could wear red or our old royal blue jumper as the away side against Essendon, Richmond, carlton, port, Saints & meth coast,

and wear our normal jumper against all other sides

it really is not that difficult

• Like 1

With a new chairman, new board members, CEO and coach, I think it's time to revisit the issue of our image on the field at those times when we must (and most times I disagree with the need) wear a clash strip.

I think the predominantly white number not only looks insipid but it's also one with which we rarely taste success when we wear the bloody thing.

I know this isn't the most pressing thing facing the powers that be but I'd like to nominate this number which a poster put forward a few years ago:-

370914westprestonlakesi.jpg

The blue V needs to be navy rather than royal blue and I would remove the trimmings at the side and make both V's a little thicker but at least, it looks like a real footy jumper rather than what we have now.

I also remember reading a while ago that the clash strip needs to be kept for at least two years. I reckon we've had enough of our current model and need something new to usher in our new era.

We don't need a clash jumper any more than any other team. We all have distinctive jumpers to start with and the jumper pictured above look like Western Bulldogs {Footsray] more than Melbourne. Go back to Navy and Red with red socks. What is wrong with distinguishing the home and opposition teams by the colour of their shorts as always was the case? It is even more effective now that there is not a mud patch in the centre and goal square (which usually resulted in both teams shorts being black by the end of the game). And another point > Why does Collingwood get special treatment?

• Like 1

History suggests we aren't overly successful in either of late. Im not a fan of white jumpers., no.

Funny that. You didn't answer the question.

I'm going to take it that you don't actually think that we play worse simply by putting a white jumper on. But if you wish to clarify your stance on this, go ahead.

OK.

They have a black and red home jumper. That's 'dark'. To get out of clashes, they've got a grey and red jumper. That's 'light'.

That gets them out of their clashes with Richmond and St Kilda. Maybe Melbourne too, if we ever get a home game against them.

Try again.

TU

I offer you the opportunity ( fob ) to show we play equally well if not better in white. I dont think we do. But arguably its hard to tell at times as we're rubbish most of the time. it seems to this viewer we arent Melbourne in white and they ( playesr know it )

TU

You in your summisation of clashing suggest Messendon can wear Red but we cant and are not deemd to have done the job... So YOU try again

TU

I offer you the opportunity ( fob ) to show we play equally well if not better in white. I dont think we do. But arguably its hard to tell at times as we're rubbish most of the time. it seems to this viewer we arent Melbourne in white and they ( playesr know it )

TU

You in your summisation of clashing suggest Messendon can wear Red but we cant and are not deemd to have done the job... So YOU try again

Your first point - so you do actually think that Melbourne plays worse simply by putting the white jumper on.

I'm genuinely flabbergasted that anyone could think that.

I refute that completely and utterly. I couldn't consider a statement on this site to be more ludicrous, really. We don't play any better or any worse wearing white - there is no correlation at all. I note, though, that over the last couple of years, two of our best performances (both against Essendon) were in the white.

There is no relationship at all. We're equally bad with blue as we are with white.

As to your second, that's not what I said. Essendon's clash strip is grey instead of black. The idea is to remove the clashes they are perceived to have with sides with dark jumpers (e.g. Richmond and St Kilda). The red has nothing to do with it. They don't wear a red clash strip. They wear grey, which they've chosen instead of white. We had grey/silver a few years back, but now we're with white.

Sorry I have not read all the posts but I would be happy with a white clash jumper with that menacing demon face. I loved that demon face as our emblem. We had it on our scarf as well. I don't mind the shield but that demond face had some scary value. Can we get back to the white clash guernsey with the demond face to reflect our change in where we want to go ?

In addition my wife a Hawks supporter noted that the Swans big boys, Tippett, Mumford look imposing in their white jumpers! So the colour only inhances our muscles, if we have any.

TU Clashes often dont really exist. but to think that Messendon remove theres by that ridiculous grey is just as.

My point which , I note you waft over, again, is that the effort s they make are not congruent to those we are made to do.

We are to wear white,...they fudge a grey.. Its a Joke. The rules even more

TU Clashes often dont really exist. but to think that Messendon remove theres by that ridiculous grey is just as.

My point which , I note you waft over, again, is that the effort s they make are not congruent to those we are made to do.

We are to wear white,...they fudge a grey.. Its a Joke. The rules even more

what rules bub?

Sorry I have not read all the posts but I would be happy with a white clash jumper with that menacing demon face. I loved that demon face as our emblem. We had it on our scarf as well. I don't mind the shield but that demond face had some scary value. Can we get back to the white clash guernsey with the demond face to reflect our change in where we want to go ?

In addition my wife a Hawks supporter noted that the Swans big boys, Tippett, Mumford look imposing in their white jumpers! So the colour only inhances our muscles, if we have any.

If you truly wants what is best for your wife surely you need to convert her to the Melbourne Football Club.

Also think of your children, half Demon and half Hawk \, this combination could produce little Messendon or Collingwood supporters and nobody would want to see that!

But back to topic, the MFC is now Blue, Red and White? Serious a white jumper IMO is a joke, The MFC should only use its team colours and only when it needs to just change the tone to a lighter colour or switch from mainly red to mainly blue as needed.

It is my understanding the Away Jumpers are really a marketing / sales thing anyway, So maybe we just need a jumper with Roos face on it. I just get the feeling they would sell in large numbers and may help to pay his salary LOL

if you are 'playing for the jumper' (like Collingwood has the luxury of doing), let us make it a consistent [single] jumper with a bit of tradition. The only change that ever has to be made should be sponsors.