The Successor

mitch

Well my source who said Roos was a done deal a week ago also said Ling has signed. So who knows.

If Roos thinks Ling is the right man I would back him. Remember that Roos has overseen two of probably the best coaches in the AFL currently (maybe two of the top three).

All these sources appear to have been wrong.

I suspect they heard whispers that things were going well and that we were a real chance, but Roos didn't finally make up his mind until Thursday having met the President on Tuesday. He signed Friday morning.

It was great to be kept informed and things were obviously progressing, but in reality many of these "sources" were wrong, especially the ones that said he'd already signed.

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 1

It might sound trite, but my preference is whomever Paul Roos decides he wants and appoints. I'll back his judgment.

That said, if I take ling on face value, which I tend to, it's a year too early for him.

For those that now say, did you take Roos on face value ? Yes, I did. I always thought he was a chance because he didn't rule himself out. Listening to Ling on the radio he pretty much ruled himself out to me.

Edited by Ben-Hur
  • Like 2

It might sound trite, but my preference is whomever Paul Roos decides he wants and appoints. I'll back his judgment.

That said, if I take ling on face value, which I tend to, it's a year too early for him.

For those that now say, did you take Roos on face value ? Yes, I did. I always thought he was a chance because he didn't rule himself out. Listening to Ling on the radio he pretty much ruled himself out to me.

But alas, I'd prefer Simpson.

I think the only issue with Simpson is if he picks up the Brisbane job now and/or thinks he is ready to step up. He seems to be laying the groundwork for a good coaching career and he is current, he brings this element to the table which is important as Roos has been out of the cut and thrust for a few years now....but as you say I'll back Roos on this.

I'm not sure if Ling is doing the right thing by himself if he wants to coach by spending another year in the media, he could well go the way of many others who find it a little easier to sit on the outside looking in. It's never the right time.

I would like to see a successor who has some of Roos' qualities in that they possess a history of elite performance as a player, the intellectual ability to see things clearly and apply them equally well, and is a great communicator... For this reason, I believe Ling would be worth pursuing, but if he is ruling himself out at this point, I can only think of two others who would fit the mould at this point... one is Brett Kirk, but the other is a real smokey (get ready to laugh) and is still playing, and that is Bob Murphy. Obviously he has no experience in the coaching caper, but I get the feeling he would take to it with ease.

I think Bob Murphy would be a great addition to a coaching panel and if he is interested in coaching after he retires (is he?) we should look out for him.

He has a top notch footy brain and comes across as very switched on - his articles are really enjoyable too.

• Like 1

Voss? Ew, no thanks. He was a great player, but has always struck me as being dumb as a post and a terrible communicator (I remember his time at Channel 10, he was barely a notch above Basil Zemplas quality). Of the previously fired coaches out there I'd much prefer Laidley, or even Ratten, but I doubt we'll go that route anyway. Simpson, Bassett or O'Loughlin would be my choices (but lets be honest, I'm a bloke who watches on TV, so I know sweet FA about it).

Edited by bananas

Brad Green any takers??

or are there any other ex Dee's in asistance coaching rolls out there?

We should be going the best available candidates, regardless of whether they played for the Dees or not. Look what happened when we went after Dees people only...

• Like 4

Voss? Ew, no thanks. He was a great player, but has always struck me as being dumb as a post and a terrible communicator (I remember his time at Channel 10, he was barely a notch above Basil Zemplas quality). Of the previously fired coaches out there I'd much prefer Laidley, or even Ratten, but I doubt we'll go that route anyway. Simpson, Bassett or O'Loughlin would be my choices (but lets be honest, I'm a bloke who watches on TV, so I know sweet FA about it).

Now Banana lets not say bad thing against Ex West Perth Players.

Basil Zemplas and Dennis Cometti if you are not sure who they are. Oh also Dean Laidley.

Assistant coaches are the enigma of the AFL. You do not know who is going to make a good coach, or even, from the outside, whether they are doing a decent job.

Allowing Roos to groom the person they see as a smart, suitable operator just becomes smarter by the day.

I know that there is a level of bias to accept the reality set out for my team but it was never like we were going to have Roos for a decade, but if we can have Roos and his protege for more than a decade then that would be fantastic.

• Like 2

Where did people get the idea he wanted a few 'vying or the job' - he sounded like, and read like, they are going to appoint a senior assistant in the next few weeks who will become head coach in 2016 or 2017.

Roos talked about 'certainty' for the players for the next decade over who their coach is - the senior assistant.

My understanding is he wants to appoint a "senior assistant coach" now and he is looking for applicants to fill that position. He's not going to appoint several assistants and pick the best after a couple of years to be the replacement coach, that will be determined at the beginning of the process.

• Like 1

No disrespect to Brad but unless your name is James McDonald I do not want anyone with MFC connections brought back to our club.

We seem to be excited and, hopefully benefitting, by going down the path of appointing 'outsiders' who were successful at other clubs. Peter Jackson and Paul Roos are just the start.

Appointing former MFC players as assistant coaches would be 'dangerous' in that they would have played in a team that had scant success and an 'ordinary' culture. Someone from Geelong, or Hawthorn or Sydney might well bring years of positive experience with him.

• Like 2

Lets get over Roos appointment instead of worrying who will succeed him!

Lot of work needed to get right structures & people to cement right culture & development in place to ensure this remains for many yrs

Don't blame us, Roos and Jackson our currently looking to appoint a 'future coach' in the coming weeks, we are just discussing who that might be. If you wish to argue it isn't a great idea to appoint a 'future coach' this far out, you are more than welcome to.

We seem to be excited and, hopefully benefitting, by going down the path of appointing 'outsiders' who were successful at other clubs. Peter Jackson and Paul Roos are just the start.

Appointing former MFC players as assistant coaches would be 'dangerous' in that they would have played in a team that had scant success and an 'ordinary' culture. Someone from Geelong, or Hawthorn or Sydney might well bring years of positive experience with him.

absolutely, totally, corowa.

we don't want anyone who is from the old culture. we need a new breed, from really strong healthy inclusive team cultures, to help us to recover from decades of cosy & defeatist cultures.