Jude Bolton for possible assistant coach next year?

DeeSpencer

Apparently set to announce tomorrow that this will be his last year.

Certainly if Roos comes and regardless I think he'd be perfect as a junior assistant coach helping out with either forwards or mids because he's played both positions.. Lots of experience and played the right way.

We've already had Ling mentioned and Hayes (who will now play on for one more season) but Bolton would be another name for that list.

I don''t understand why some posters still seem to think (perhaps 'believe') Roos is a possibility to coach us next year.

Maybe because it's clear MFC haven't given up on trying to convince him. Why should we give up hope of getting the best available so easily? Oh, that's right, because we're Melbourne...

Ling, Voss, Hayes, Simpson, Bolton - these are the sort of recently retired players who we need around the club in some kind of role.

Voss is the standout player among that list, but it is the dedicated, hard-working, gut-busting, bone crunching professionalism that these players exuded that we have so little of. Probably only N Jones, Clark and Viney on our current list display this attutude. Maybe Frawley also at his best. Which of them could influence others - probably Ling or Voss would be my choice, but I wouldn't knock back what Bolton had to offer.

Why do some seem to think that this or that player will make an excellent coach the minute he hangs up his boots ?

• Like 3

...unless he turns out to be a complete spaz of a coach, in which case it could only be a serious negative.

That'd be my concern.

Being a good hard player, doesn't make you a good communicator.

He also does ok on the odd Gameday panel, so could be chasing a media career instead.

Lol bit like Scott West?

Hasn't been going too badly in the VFL since he left us. And we haven't exactly got better without him. Not to mention West didn't have the team success that Bolton did and isn't as good a communicator as Bolton in terms of media, not sure about coaching as they are different things.

The way I see it our incumbent coaches can't be much chop. I see no reason not suggest getting some quality players, especially ones who played the right way like Bolton did.

Hasn't been going too badly in the VFL since he left us. And we haven't exactly got better without him. Not to mention West didn't have the team success that Bolton did and isn't as good a communicator as Bolton in terms of media, not sure about coaching as they are different things.

The way I see it our incumbent coaches can't be much chop. I see no reason not suggest getting some quality players, especially ones who played the right way like Bolton did.

Nah I totally agree with you aswell. I thought West was a bit stiff to be shown the door by Neeld. I remember blokes like Mckenzie, trengove Gysberts and even bail were playing some terrific footy under him.

I was pretty disappointed that he got the chop only to be replaced by Chocco Royal..

• Like 2

Why do some seem to think that this or that player will make an excellent coach the minute he hangs up his boots ?

Because internally, within the confines of their own club, they are not only good players but they are known as leaders, thinkers and communicators. Not every great player can coach - Bartlett and Skilton for example - but some make the jump very easily.

Maybe because it's clear MFC haven't given up on trying to convince him. Why should we give up hope of getting the best available so easily? Oh, that's right, because we're Melbourne...

Nope - it's because he's stated about a bizillion times that he doesn't want the job.

Nope - it's because he's stated about a bizillion times that he doesn't want the job.

No. He's stated about a million times "not at the moment".

If we want to be the same old MFC then I guess that's a no.... But if we want to be the new "mongrel" MFC, then we keep working on him.

• Like 1

Stuie - I'd be stoked if he agreed to coach us next year.

But, in my observation, it seems extremely unlikely to happen. He knows we want him, and he knows who we are. Notwithstanding this, he doesn't seem to be bashing down our door.

In short, I don't want us to focus on the guy who's not seemingly interested in coaching us - that would most likely be a waste of our limited time and resources.

Rather, I want us to focus on getting the right coach who is actually passionately committed to coaching us - and to absolutely nail this appointment, not spend time on dreaming/wish thinking about a bloke who's said he's not interested in the gig.

Stuie - I'd be stoked if he agreed to coach us next year.

But, in my observation, it seems extremely unlikely to happen. He knows we want him, and he knows who we are. Notwithstanding this, he doesn't seem to be bashing down our door.

In short, I don't want us to focus on the guy who's not seemingly interested in coaching us - that would most likely be a waste of our limited time and resources.

Rather, I want us to focus on getting the right coach who is actually passionately committed to coaching us - and to absolutely nail this appointment, not spend time on dreaming/wish thinking about a bloke who's said he's not interested in the gig.

Yeah, look I agree with most of what you're saying there. I just think we're not THAT busy that we can't keep talking to him while we're continuing the search. I've got the impression PJ is still onto him about it and hasn't given up.

The thing about Roos is, if he does happen to decide to take the job it will be because he IS passionate about it. He's not a guy to take the money and not care about the performance.

Because the would likely be cheap.

Because of the excellent manner in which they lead and teach those under their command as players.

Jude Bolton. Fantastic player, that we could have 2 or 3 like him. However Im not particularly au fait with any of his abilities as a coach. He may well possess these. Has he any aspirations to coach, has he practiced in any shape or form these ?

My point is simply that what invariably happens here on these board and the second some half way ( or better ) decent player pulls off the boots for the last time people suddenly want them as a coach for us without any thought ( it seems ) as to their qualifications to be such.

Most players looking to further their AFL involvement will have undertaken ( or seek to do such ) coaching education and formal qualifying in this area.

• Like 2

• 5 weeks later...

*BUMP*

Roos is now in charge, and cleared out a few assistant coaches.

But on top of that i have heard on the grapevine that Jude is looking to move back to melbourne to bring his family up and he has had an offer from a VAFA club to possibly play there next year.

If he is looking to move down this way, surely it wouldnt be surprising for roos to be looking at bringing him into a role at the club?

I would be happy to have Ling or Bolton.

When Bolton is referred to "as the best clubman he's ever seen" by John Longmire certainly says wonders about him, particularly considering how good the Sydney culture is and has been.

He would fit right in at the Dees under an experienced assistant coach like Adam Simpson or Stuart Dew.

• Like 1