The dear departed

Maldonboy38

I caught about 20 minutes of the Richmond v Carlton game today, and was really grieving watching McLean and Petterd play well. It got me thinking about Footscray in the 1970's and early 80's. They gave away/lost Dempsey, Quinlan, Templeton, Barry Round, and others whose names are lost so far back. The Doggies lost these great players (Dempsey is still the best tap ruckman I have ever see) because everything inside the club stank of a loser mentality with no hope in sight.

At the moment we have Moloney, Martin, McLean, Scully, Petterd, and Rivers, who left us. They are all getting regular games for their new clubs and we are back rotting at the bottom the ladder. History repeating itself again.

What is really interesting is that once Malthouse got toFootscray the club began to turn. Can one man make such a difference? Can this happen at the Dees after such a mass exodus?

I caught about 20 minutes of the Richmond v Carlton game today, and was really grieving watching McLean and Petterd play well. It got me thinking about Footscray in the 1970's and early 80's. They gave away/lost Dempsey, Quinlan, Templeton, Barry Round, and others whose names are lost so far back. The Doggies lost these great players (Dempsey is still the best tap ruckman I have ever see) because everything inside the club stank of a loser mentality with no hope in sight.

At the moment we have Moloney, Martin, McLean, Scully, Petterd, and Rivers, who left us. They are all getting regular games for their new clubs and we are back rotting at the bottom the ladder. History repeating itself again.

What is really interesting is that once Malthouse got toFootscray the club began to turn. Can one man make such a difference? Can this happen at the Dees after such a mass exodus?

Fair cop.

Petterd is instructed not to kick.

Martin is not getting regular games.

Rivers has been injured for most of the year.

Scully is the 5th best midfielder in GWS and largely ineffective most weeks.

Mclean is the 5th best midfielder and is not more than "AFL - level" at his very best.

The problem is not these blokes, it is the soft, uncommitted, non-competitive blokes barry prendergast drafted for years.

• Like 6

My answer is yes but it is going to take a few years MB.

Miss McLean, but your scenario is like saying Australia'sprivate foreign debt is over a trillion dollars, whereas our net foreign (private) debt is only about 800 billion dollars. So, taking into account Mitch Clark (Brisbane) for Moloney, (or Maloney as demonlanders prefer) and Hogan for Scully our position isn't nearly so dire.

rivers aside as a FA, McLean is the only player to show form or promise at another club. And it took him a couple of years to get there and he is still border line I'd have thought.

The trade for McLean was a perfect example of how trading should work. Both teams broke even, he was going backwards with us and we got a great pick (but stuffed it up), they got a solid back up player instead of the risk of a bust.

I'd do the trade again, but I'm not sure Carlton would.

rivers aside as a FA, McLean is the only player to show form or promise at another club. And it took him a couple of years to get there and he is still border line I'd have thought.

The trade for McLean was a perfect example of how trading should work. Both teams broke even, he was going backwards with us and we got a great pick (but stuffed it up), they got a solid back up player instead of the risk of a bust.

Not with Fyfe available at pick 22...

Fitzpatrick is already better than Martin. Win.

Dawes and Hogan for the Scully compo picks. Win.

Losing vital experience even if they were flawed characters in Moloney and Rivers is a loss but Port haven't missed Chaplin and Pearce.

Giving up on Petterd when we had plenty of other duds to chop was a bad call but he's really just a flanker.

More than anything it's McLean that annoys me. We did get fair compensation but completely [censored] it away with Gysberts. Any half decent reliable midfielder drafted in place of Gysberts would've satisfied me but that was obviously outside our reach

• Like 1

Mclean is the only player mentioned in the OP who is playing regular decent football. And even then, it's easier for him to do it at Carlton when he fits into a midfield with Murphy, Judd, Carrazzo etc. He can be the slower midfielder of that bunch. At Melbourne he'd continue to stand out for plodding and being one-dimensional, but at Carlton, with the support he gets, he is able to take his game past the ceiling he had here.

Yeah, I was thinking about this whilst watching Brock tear Richmond a new one.

Basically we done nothing right, but what is done is done.

Hopefully we get a decent coach and football mananger and then start the rebuild.

Mclean is the only player mentioned in the OP who is playing regular decent football. And even then, it's easier for him to do it at Carlton when he fits into a midfield with Murphy, Judd, Carrazzo etc. He can be the slower midfielder of that bunch. At Melbourne he'd continue to stand out for plodding and being one-dimensional, but at Carlton, with the support he gets, he is able to take his game past the ceiling he had here.

Moloney has had a good year and Rivers has been injured, Scully is starting to find his feet.

I don't really think Scully matters though, he left us and rightfully so, but we pushed the others away.

McLean, Moloney and Jones would be a decent midfield.

Who knows anymore.

You forgot Gysberts, Cheney and Scott Thompson as ex-Dees on others lists.

Of course Thompson is now a bona-fide A-grader, every time Cheney plays my Hawks

mate text me pleading for us to take him back, and Gysberts has played 0 games this year.

Imagine our midfield with Jones, Thompson, Moloney and McLean?

Moloney has had a good year and Rivers has been injured, Scully is starting to find his feet.

I don't really think Scully matters though, he left us and rightfully so, but we pushed the others away.

McLean, Moloney and Jones would be a decent midfield.

Who knows anymore.

McLean, Moloney and Jones would be better than what we've got, but sooooo slow and one dimensional.

Today's game was sloppy in parts, everyone had written Carlton off but they all had a crack and won. Rivers was the biggest loss from the names mentioned but can't blame him for going. Allowing for his age and the fact Tom M is going alright were sitting alright with him Garland and Chip down back. Besides mids our biggest problem is mindset, with the exception of the NT, all our interstate games are lost before we run out. The new coach will address this and hopefully player retention won't become an issue.

Fair cop.

Petterd is instructed not to kick.

Martin is not getting regular games.

Rivers has been injured for most of the year.

Scully is the 5th best midfielder in GWS and largely ineffective most weeks.

Mclean is the 5th best midfielder and is not more than "AFL - level" at his very best.

The problem is not these blokes, it is the soft, uncommitted, non-competitive blokes barry prendergast drafted for years.

Amen.