Bombers scandal: charged, <redacted> and <infracted>

Jonesbag

How could they not interview Dank?

They have the powers to do it. It beggars belief.

My guess is that the powder on Dank is being kept dry and the government has bigger goals than just breaches of the WADA code. If he is subject to coercive powers it will be done by the ACC and AFP who will be chasing possible criminal charges agaisnt Dank and his cohorts. The end game is getting these people out of sport and removing them from positions (like pharmacists) where they can access and administer controlled substances.

• Like 2

the Cronulla asada outcomes will be interesting , could have an influence on the Bombers situation if links can be made , Its possible they have enough eveidence without going to Dank from the Cronulla side of things .It seems to be rife in NRL with one player admitting dealing and use recently .

I though about this when it was first mentioned that a senior judge had been appointed to oversee ASADA's investigation and in the end I concluded that a "whitewash" involving the sweeping of both cases under the carpet would be so scandalous that it should never be entertained by a government and no judge in his right mind would involve himself in what would effectively be a totally corrupt enterprise. Furthermore, to close the file on this episode without interviewing Dank would simply add to the stench of corruption and scandal. It would almost place our government in the same filthy box as Frank Underwood in House of Cards.

Maybe there is not enough incriminating evidence that specifically links the players, the substances and Dank. If they have not got solid evidence in the form of player substance records then interviewing Danks (who would saying nothing to protect himself) would be a waste of time.

Maybe there is not enough incriminating evidence that specifically links the players, the substances and Dank. If they have not got solid evidence in the form of player substance records then interviewing Danks (who would saying nothing to protect himself) would be a waste of time.

My reading of the ASADA interim report combined with the fact that Dank is said to have been the architect of Essendon's supplements programme, then implemented it (which including the ordering of the supplements), I think you would have to at least interview him. The ACC did!

My reading of the ASADA interim report combined with the fact that Dank is said to have been the architect of Essendon's supplements programme, then implemented it (which including the ordering of the supplements), I think you would have to at least interview him. The ACC did!

according to bomber thompson he[dank] spoke to the ACC 3times.

It depends on what other information ASADA have re the supplements program. There seems an absence of detail on who got or injected what. And getting info from Danks in this situation would have been like squeezing water from a stone.

You are loose with the truth. Robson offered to resign after the initial press conference. This was rejected. He then offered his resignation after the Ziggy inquiry and it was accepted.

You can read more here. http://www.essendonfc.com.au/news/2013-05-23/ian-robson-resigns

And you dont understand it! A club that is bent on protecting Hird and acolytes from wrongdoing orchestrates an "independent" review and fingers a person who did not know but should have (Robson) and exonerated those that did know and were responsible for the disaster. Robson dead meat when the inquiry was announced and was served up on its release.

It depends on what other information ASADA have re the supplements program. There seems an absence of detail on who got or injected what. And getting info from Danks in this situation would have been like squeezing water from a stone.

But to suggest that an investigator would not bother interviewing a major player on the basis that you suspect he's a difficult but to crack suggests to me that there's more of a problem with the investigator than the witness. In this case, if Dank isn't interviewed at all and there are no infractions to report, the outcome would smell to high heaven.

Now it just gets bizarre

Controversial sports scientist Stephen Dank to break silence at sportsman’s lunch

This ought to turn the heat up somewhat.

The arrogance of these buggers seems to know no limit.

And you dont understand it! A club that is bent on protecting Hird and acolytes from wrongdoing orchestrates an "independent" review and fingers a person who did not know but should have (Robson) and exonerated those that did know and were responsible for the disaster. Robson dead meat when the inquiry was announced and was served up on its release.

Wow. You must like drinking your own bathwater.

Robson resigned he wasn't sacked. retty simple.

Your post is a classic case of trying to divert attention when someone points out something you said is incorrect. You don't need to respond. Just accept it and move on.

Life is less stressful that way :)

But to suggest that an investigator would not bother interviewing a major player on the basis that you suspect he's a difficult but to crack suggests to me that there's more of a problem with the investigator than the witness. In this case, if Dank isn't interviewed at all and there are no infractions to report, the outcome would smell to high heaven.

Agreed. If the report said "interviewd Dank and he was unresponsive" that in inself would be telling.

Very curious - the Age reporting it this way - ASADA has completed its probe into the AFL and the NRL, says chief executive.

Although I put forward my theory in this thread a while ago that a circumstantial case could be mounted against Essendon players without Dank's direct evidence I still find it extraordinary that ASADA hasn't sought to exercise its powers to interview him. Nevertheless, it doesn't look good for the Cronulla and Essendon players and we've heard nothing about the claims made about our own players.

Yes ... very curious.

(Robbo's earlier story has definitely been scooped - Controversial sports scientist Stephen Dank to break silence at sportsmans lunch)

I think the players association will be very reluctant for players to be charged; But the Bummers may go thru a trial by media, similar to our recent episode.

It was reported (speculated?) on ABC radio (Canberra) this morning that without Dank's direct evidence, the ASADA Report is weakened to such an extent that nothing will come of it. The term 'whitewash' was used.

IMO thats what ALL the Powers that be Wanted. all along... we can't handle the truth !!! or more to the point, the sponsors can't.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-league/league-news/asada-investigation-former-federal-judge-garry-downes-steps-in-to-help-speed-things-up-20140203-31xi9.html#ixzz2uUV6LJNe

ASADA investigation: Former Federal judge Garry Downes steps in to help speed things up

# February 4, 2014

Infraction notices may still be issued against NRL and AFL players while former Federal Court judge Garry Downes is reviewing details of the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority's 12-month investigation into doping allegations in both codes.

With this week marking the one-year anniversary of the February 7 press conference dubbed ''the darkest day in Australian sport'', the federal government has appointed Downes to help bring the exhaustive but so far inconclusive investigation to a speedier conclusion.

However, beyond an April deadline for Downes to finalise his report, no date has been fixed for the end of the investigation and Fairfax Media was told that ASADA would proceed as normal in its investigations, which have focused heavily on events at Cronulla in 2011 and Essendon in 2012.

Federal Sports Minister Peter Dutton said the appointment of Downes provided additional resources to ASADA and his role was to help decide if charges could be laid.

Edited by dee-luded

I said at the time that the Judge was appointed to ASADA, that it was probably to help with deciding whether there was enough evidence to lay charges. I am convinced of that now.

To have a Judge review the evidence and then lay charges, makes them a lot stronger than if some inexperienced clerk laid them.

That said, the fact that Dank hasn't been required to give evidence, suggests to me they have enough to make their case.

the political behind the scenes of this controversy is too big for a government to tackle, without self damage from the electorate & the high profile people involved with elite clubs.

I see the judge was annointed well after the federal election.

I can't help but wonder if the powers all about this just want it to go away.

IMO, the learned person incharge, will no doubt advise on how best to minimise any embarrassments for all concerned.

Thats not what I said Jack. And FWIW, I doubt whether infraction notices would be issued purely on the basis of what a discredited party said without other corroborating evidence.

Wow. You must like drinking your own bathwater.

Robson resigned he wasn't sacked. retty simple.

Your post is a classic case of trying to divert attention when someone points out something you said is incorrect. You don't need to respond. Just accept it and move on.

Life is less stressful that way :)

You like splitting hairs for the sake of it.

Rohan Connolly was discussing the saga a few days ago and he said, "why pick on the bombers several Demons players were also mentioned, when the story broke."

Actually only two were mentioned that I can recall, JT and Dunn. Dunn seemed to be nothing, with JT the concern. The story on JT was that there was an SMS recommending he use a cream that apparently contained AOD. There was never, following that SMS, any confirmation that he actually used it. If JT denied any use and no other evidence is available, that is the end of that, as there was no testing.

The Bombers as we all know had a system of off campus injecting, into players' stomaches, going on for a season.

Connolly did not differentiate between the two clubs.

Oh and Rohan Connolly supports Essendon.

• Like 1

Rohan Connolly was discussing the saga a few days ago and he said, "why pick on the bombers several Demons players were also mentioned, when the story broke."

Actually only two were mentioned that I can recall, JT and Dunn. Dunn seemed to be nothing, with JT the concern. The story on JT was that there was an SMS recommending he use a cream that apparently contained AOD. There was never, following that SMS, any confirmation that he actually used it. If JT denied any use and no other evidence is available, that is the end of that, as there was no testing.

The Bombers as we all know had a system of off campus injecting, into players' stomaches, going on for a season.

Connolly did not differentiate between the two clubs.

Oh and Rohan Connolly supports Essendon.

Now there is a surprise!

Now it just gets bizarre

Controversial sports scientist Stephen Dank to break silence at sportsman’s lunch

This ought to turn the heat up somewhat.

The arrogance of these buggers seems to know no limit.

If anyone goes thinking they're going to learn something about the Essendon drug programme, they'd be mistaken -

Dank yesterday said particulars about the ASADA inquiry into Essendon’s supplement program could not be broached because of impending legal action.

If anyone goes thinking they're going to learn something about the Essendon drug programme, they'd be mistaken -

Didnt think for a moment that would be the case but apparently he ( Dank ) intends to fling mud..or something ....and especially in Vlads direction.

game on

Thats not what I said Jack. And FWIW, I doubt whether infraction notices would be issued purely on the basis of what a discredited party said without other corroborating evidence.

The point I'm making is an entirely different one. There is an art to interrogation which often draws out responses from a witness that are useful in establishing what did or did not occur even in the case of poor or untruthful witnesses. I'm of the view that there must be a case for the issue of infraction notices if they're not making use of the opportunity to interview Dank.

On the other hand, if they don't have enough evidence and they don't avail themselves of the opportunity to interview him then it's a whitewash and I don't believe the judge would allow his reputation to be tarnished in that way.