Davey - suited to sub

Davis - provided regular contests

Spencer - provided regular advantage

M.Jones - was rarely sighted

Terlich - needs quicker decisions

Fitzpatrick - continued to impress

Clisby - doesn't lack confidence

Terlich - Lost true grit

Terlich has dropped off as McDonald, Garland, Clisby and Dunn have improved down back. He is starting to remind me more and more of an in-and-under Nathan Carroll with every passing week.

Decent (at best) player in a bad team.

Agree with

Terlich - Lost true grit

Terlich has dropped off as McDonald, Garland, Clisby and Dunn have improved down back. He is starting to remind me more and more of an in-and-under Nathan Carroll with every passing week.

Decent (at best) player in a bad team.

Agree with

Nathan Carroll gets disrespected, but he fought pretty damn hard for us as an undersized fullback. I'd kill for a couple of players with his fight and determination, even if he lacked polish (both on and off the field).

• Like 3

Is Colin Sylvia still an important 'must sign?'

Never was in my opinion.

Sylvia is the cherry on top of the cupcake. But when the cupcake is made of horse poo, and the cherry looks shiny but tastes awful, it becomes irrelevant.

• Like 1

Probably a bit harsh on Sylvia - had 23 touches, 1 goal, 7 marks and 2 tackles (thats quite a bit of involvement - topped the dreamteam points)

A bit harsh on Strauss as well I think - he was having a good game untill he got a boot in the face

Trengove: needs to lift (I can't remember any of his 21 touches?)

Edited by Young Dee
  • Like 1

Probably a bit harsh on Sylvia - had 23 touches, 1 goal, 7 marks and 2 tackles (thats quite a bit of involvement - topped the dreamteam points)

A bit harsh on Strauss as well I think - he was having a good game untill he got a boot in the face

Trengove: needs to lift (I can't remember any of his 21 touches?)

Really? Crikey, I hardly saw him.

Straussy was going well until he copped Brown's errant boot.

Nathan Carroll gets disrespected, but he fought pretty damn hard for us as an undersized fullback. I'd kill for a couple of players with his fight and determination, even if he lacked polish (both on and off the field).

yeah under rated for mine. Miss Carroll.

yeah under rated for mine. Miss Carroll.

One of the greatest footy moments of all time, was Carroll tackling and injuring Gehrig in that final. Absolute gold.

Sadly, his fall from grace since then mirrors that of our club.

The good old days of us being actually mediocre, and our biggest worry being Ben Holland's goal kicking.

• Like 3

One of the greatest footy moments of all time, was Carroll tackling and injuring Gehrig in that final. Absolute gold.

The good old days of us being actually mediocre, and our biggest worry being Ben Holland's goal kicking.

Bit of a correlation there. The club decided a few years back to clean up their image and do away with "the wrong sort" of players. Look at what's happened since then. We have clean-cut, nice young men who have no mongrel and no fight and can't win a contest to save themselves.

Carroll got [censored] a few times and had a fight or to and we sacked him. Thought it was too harsh as he had a bit of mongrel unlike any of our current list bar viney and Clark.

Bit of a correlation there. The club decided a few years back to clean up their image and do away with "the wrong sort" of players. Look at what's happened since then. We have clean-cut, nice young men who have no mongrel and no fight and can't win a contest to save themselves.

stupid when you consider that daniher had to bring in Morecroft (fail), angry Phil read (?) and Byron Pickett to give it some much need mongrel then Bailey does the opposite and we get every skinny choir boy in each draft.

• Like 1

Umm pretty sure that when you get [censored] and smack Ben Holland, your teammate, in the face, you deserve to get the sack.

Somehow I don't think our backline of Frawley, Garland and McDonald are feeling the loss of Carroll.

Umm pretty sure that when you get [censored] and smack Ben Holland, your teammate, in the face, you deserve to get the sack.

Somehow I don't think our backline of Frawley, Garland and McDonald are feeling the loss of Carroll.

maybe Carroll found holland's kicking as frustrating as we did?

Carroll got [censored] a few times and had a fight or to and we sacked him. Thought it was too harsh as he had a bit of mongrel unlike any of our current list bar viney and Clark.

He was also badly undersized and nowhere near athletic enough for a key defender and didn't have the skill for a smaller defender. Half the problem with Daniher was his refusal to develop any kind of tall players. The other was that he had no discipline in the list and Carroll might have been part of that.

Daniher did get a few blokes to play hard and tough footy. Unfortunately when the hard nuts went their was no hard nut culture.

I know he had little impact on the game but Davis' hard leading and competing was a joy to watch. If the club has concerns about him as a key defender I wouldn't be surprised. He screams VFL but I'd keep him on the list because he works damn hard. If Watts or Pedersen worked half as hard as he did they'd be twice the players they are now.

You do tend to fall from grace when you get arrested in two European countries on the same trip as a consequence of your drunken behaviour.
  • Like 1

Well, for one thing I think Ben Holland needed a good belt in the face :P

But it's not just the one guy, it's the overall strategic change that came with it. We stopped getting that sort of player into the club and look where it's gotten us. No Dustin Martin, no Jack Darling. They were both on the "poor character" list. Tom Scully was considered an upstanding and professional young player. As it turned out, he's not so much professional as mercenary. We've placed too high a value on character and leadership over actual football ability. Really, how many leaders do you need in the one side? Give me a couple of thugs who fight like hell for every ball and can kick and I'll be happy. I don't care if they go out and get drunk every now and then or get suspended for a high elbow to Chris Judd's head. I just want them to fight.

• Like 1

stupid when you consider that daniher had to bring in Morecroft (fail), angry Phil read (?) and Byron Pickett to give it some much need mongrel then Bailey does the opposite and we get every skinny choir boy in each draft.

As bad as the Bailey recruiting was Daniher taking those 3 wastes of time was just as bad. What was wrong with instilling some mongrel into Green, Bruce, Davey, Yze etc instead of drafting in designated hard men. Geelong took a team of decent skinny kids like Stevie J, Bartlet, Kelly and built the hardness into them. That's proper coaching.

Out future backline has some hardness. So do Viney and Jones in the middle. Hogan and Dawes up forward. Kent doesn't mind it. Time we built it in to Watts, Toumpas and co this time.

Well, for one thing I think Ben Holland needed a good belt in the face :P

But it's not just the one guy, it's the overall strategic change that came with it. We stopped getting that sort of player into the club and look where it's gotten us. No Dustin Martin, no Jack Darling. They were both on the "poor character" list. Tom Scully was considered an upstanding and professional young player. As it turned out, he's not so much professional as mercenary. We've placed too high a value on character and leadership over actual football ability. Really, how many leaders do you need in the one side? Give me a couple of thugs who fight like hell for every ball and can kick and I'll be happy. I don't care if they go out and get drunk every now and then or get suspended for a high elbow to Chris Judd's head. I just want them to fight.

Dustin Martin nearly lost his career in his association with Connors and Jack Darling nearly lost his career when he got his head kicked in as an 18 year old. But that's their off field character and is a completely separate issue to football aggression and intensity.

Jack Ziebell is one guy who goes 110% without a backward step but is also a great character. The two go together but aren't mutually inclusive.

I don't think we've overrated character too much. It's a vital part of recruiting. Fill your team with Dustin Martin, Chris Yarran and whatever others who aren't focussed and see where you end up. But we've clearly underrated the value of recruitment/development of aggression and hard players. Maybe if we valued hard and tough players more we'd get over the character flaws.

• Like 1