Casey Alignment

Born to Run

Don't we have a 30 contract with Casey??????

With the ground, not the club, we can run our own reserves side out of Casey Fields.

Although Casey has been a competitive outfit since the alignment (...and Melbourne has not helped by failing to make players available when VFL finals came round), I'm still not sold on the partnership, or the community strategy surrounding it. Although on paper it makes sense to harness a growth corridor, I'm not confident we've got the administrative expertise to make it a productive and worthwhile initiative. It certainly hasn't resulted in a surge of membership or support.

Edited by Swooper Northey

Seems pretty obvious to have 100% control of your reserves and development teams

Collingwood, Geelong and Essendon have already done this and from what i hear The Western Bulldogs are looking at doing the same

Adelaide are already discussing this with the intention of joining the SANFL (which would make an even 10 teams at last)

WAFL i am unsure about but they also have only 9 teams

Edited by Swampfox

this alignment was driven by those two plebs Schwab and COnnolly

It was destined to fail

Like anything they touched

My view is that Schwab was trying to do too many things, rather than focus on the fundamentals of building a really strong club underpinned by a rock solid footy department. He had us dealing with China (...which went nowhere), Casey, was considering a Docklands base, was busy designing blazers, botching our colours and drawing new emblems. The club was spread thin, it had its fingers in too many pies, and in doing so I'm not convinced we've had the expertise in our administration to really win over the people in the Casey precinct. I'd be interested to know whether PJ thinks there's continued merit in pursuing that strategy? If the club continues to perform as badly as it is today, the strategy will be futile.

• Like 1

I will stand corrected on this, but I think the 30 year arrangement is with the City of Casey and nothing to do with the Scorpions alignment.

I also believe the arrangement is more focused on future than current membership growth.

This is why most of the initiatives involve schools, literacy programs etc.

I will stand corrected on this, but I think the 30 year arrangement is with the City of Casey and nothing to do with the Scorpions alignment.

I also believe the arrangement is more focused on future than current membership growth.

This is why most of the initiatives involve schools, literacy programs etc.

That's correct. Our work with Casey is one thing we have done right.

My view is that Schwab was trying to do too many things, rather than focus on the fundamentals of building a really strong club underpinned by a rock solid footy department. He had us dealing with China (...which went nowhere), Casey, was considering a Docklands base, was busy designing blazers, botching our colours and drawing new emblems. The club was spread thin, it had its fingers in too many pies, and in doing so I'm not convinced we've had the expertise in our administration to really win over the people in the Casey precinct. I'd be interested to know whether PJ thinks there's continued merit in pursuing that strategy? If the club continues to perform as badly as it is today, the strategy will be futile.

My opinion is that Schwab, & previous admins had given up on our traditional supporter base, thinking it was too late to grow it in the face of the Hawks, Bombers, Pies, etc...

we needed funds to use to running & growing the club & footy dep't.... so China & the West End was muted...

I think this is due to the Club being unwilling to risk building some supporter facilities & a training base, where all supporters could mingle & make friends. I think they were too worried about moving our central Hub away from the bowels of the 'G'.

In a way when the MCC sent us packing off the MCG surface & down to the Junction Oval, they sent us to a place which was still under their control, but it was a place we could Not develop into ours... nor could we do any extensions renovations building, nothing... they lashed us down, over a Barrel.

when we were "turfed" Off the 'G', this could have been our saving grace,,, If we found ourselves a Home, somewhere to build on... not Yet we haven't.

Edited by dee-luded

My opinion is that Schwab, & previous admins had given up on our traditional supporter base, thinking it was too late to grow it in the face of the Hawks, Bombers, Pies, etc...

we needed funds to use to running & growing the club & footy dep't.... so China & the West End was muted...

I think this is due to the Club being unwilling to risk building some supporter facilities & a training base, where all supporters could mingle & make friends. I think they were too worried about moving our central Hub away from the bowels of the 'G'.

In a way when the MCC sent us packing off the MCG surface & down to the Junction Oval, they sent us to a place which was still under their control, but it was a place we could Not develop into ours... nor could we do any extensions renovations building, nothing... they lashed us down, over a Barrel.

when we were "turfed" Off the 'G', this could have been our saving grace,,, If we found ourselves a Home, somewhere to build on... not Yet we haven't.

What was wrong with the supposed facilities at AAMI Park serving this purpose. Being a short walk from the "G" it would be perfect to have a social facility there. Alternativley why can't we have a working bee with some cans of red and blue paint and then share with Richmond which is closer still?

What was wrong with the supposed facilities at AAMI Park serving this purpose. Being a short walk from the "G" it would be perfect to have a social facility there. Alternativley why can't we have a working bee with some cans of red and blue paint and then share with Richmond which is closer still?

nothing, as long as we can have a social room in there..

but I recall a couple of years ago the admin saying its very expensive to lease our facilities there. so I assume we are looking longer term to be out of there. also we don't have enough room in there for our offices etc. we have the footy dept @ AAMI Park, & I think our offices are @ the 'G'.

The club needs a less formal place overlooking the training ground, so all & any of our supporters can use those facilities in the most informal attire... & in inclement weather can go upstairs to watch over training or just catchup with friends to watch an interstate game. or meetup,,, before matches @ the 'G'. this could be an income, could grow into an attraction.

Still irks me that we didn't grab the Westpac Centre when it was available. Collingwood should never have got there before us. I always thought the Old Scotch Oval outside the Tennis Centre would have been great with a base including offices and social facilities built into the Tennis Centre itself. But given that ground gets used for so many activities, I doubt it will ever happen.

Down with the city of Casey, up with the city of Melbourne!!!! (Alignment with the CBD)

The closest ground to the MCG which is in the City of Melbourne is also in Yarra Park. It is called the Richmond ground. Why can't we share with them? Everybody shares the "G" with us!

Still irks me that we didn't grab the Westpac Centre when it was available. Collingwood should never have got there before us. I always thought the Old Scotch Oval outside the Tennis Centre would have been great with a base including offices and social facilities built into the Tennis Centre itself. But given that ground gets used for so many activities, I doubt it will ever happen.

you know what, the only difference is one has a building on the land, the other (goschs) doesn't, Yet.

But We if we stay on that training ground are Much closer to the station which is paramount, for people after matches getting a few catchup beers or whatever, before "Training It home"... or on the way to the MCG, grab a coffee & sandwich & wait for their Dee friends to turn up from their train.

IF we were to stay on that ground & find a way to setup some facilities there, we could finally get ourselves a home base on which to grow,,, which is so transport friendly & central for our supporters.