Optimists only

I am a broken man. I had hope for 2013 as a year that we saw a push back with Mitch Clar, & Dawes as a formidable fwd line, Jack Viney on board, Jimmy T and the development of plenty of others. Well not to be I am a shattered MFC member.

But I need to push for the glimmer of light ahead ...

Steps

1. retain Peter Jackson as CEO for 2014 (as AFL required)

2. sign up Mark "Choco" Williams as senior coach. Remove all assistants on board right now, and keep Todd Viney as a development coach alone.

3. Delist around 8-9 players. Each spot on the list will be precious and we need to choose wisely.

4. 2013 trade and national draft. Essential, vital, crucial.

Jesse Hogan - elevated

#2 James Aish

#3 (AFL Priority) Dominic Sheed

#20 Nathan Freeman

#38 Zak Jones

#56 Nathan Drummond

all modern day types. Tough and good pace.

My only 3 players from other clubs to realistically pursue.

- Levi Greenwood (Kangas) 24. tough, inside mid. good ballwinner. Seems out of favour at Kangas. PSD#2 for me . a must get for me.

- Jordan Schroder (Cats) 21 tough. unable to break into Cats midfield but would settle at MFC and is Selwood like in attack on the footy. $$ and contract would attract.

- Daniel Cross. Yes he's 30 but all class and would help our midfield compete. A new home would refresh and a promise of a fair go.

5. a good draw in 2014 for MCG homes games. The AFL needs to give us home games agst Collingwood (Queens Birthday), Carlton, Essendon and Richmond as 50,000 strong attendances to help our coffers. Games agst Giants, Dockers, Power etc at MCG would be avoided. And no homes games at Etihad.

6. Game style - intense. play on. Entertain. Scoring the focus.

Hope with a structure.

• Like 1

Sewell is already cooked. By next year will be no better than Magner. We need pacy midfielders with elite kicking skills.

No. We need players that can win their own ball. Sewell can still do this. He would walk into our midfield every week, even next year. Offer him a big three year contract. The leadership he would provide our young mids (those already there and those no doubt coming in) would be invaluable.

• Like 2

The funny thing is...and as deluded as it sounds, even after the loss y'day, I feel optimistic. Here's why.

• We have Viney, Toumpas, M.Jones, Terlich, Clisby, Kent all being first year players. They're only going to get better next year.
  • You have Mitch Clark who has been injured all year.
  • Dawes didn't have a pre season.
  • Gawn, Fitzpatrick will gain more confidence this year and will continue to develop next year.
  • Hogan will come into the side.
  • Watts' improvement.
  • Trengove, Grimes are coming into that 4-6 year mark where most players make some huge improvement.

Do we need a midfielder or 2 next year? Absolutely. But as I said, a strange sense of calm, even after the loss against GWS.

• Like 1

The funny thing is...and as deluded as it sounds, even after the loss y'day, I feel optimistic. Here's why.

• We have Viney, Toumpas, M.Jones, Terlich, Clisby, Kent all being first year players. They're only going to get better next year.
  • Gawn, Fitzpatrick will gain more confidence this year and will continue to develop next year.
  • Watts' improvement.
  • Trengove, Grimes are coming into that 4-6 year mark where most players make some huge improvement.

Do we need a midfielder or 2 next year? Absolutely. But as I said, a strange sense of calm, even after the loss against GWS.

And we got beat by a side yesterday that will improve at twice the rate we will.

GWS will leap frog us next year and GC will start to pound us.

That leaves us to compete with St Kilda for the spoon.

We will need to trade our pick 1 and get some free agents in.

No. We need players that can win their own ball. Sewell can still do this. He would walk into our midfield every week, even next year. Offer him a big three year contract. The leadership he would provide our young mids (those already there and those no doubt coming in) would be invaluable.

Sewell not worth 3 years, you have No idea.

• Watts' improvement.

Well said D4L!!!!

I, for one, cannot disagree with your comments. There is plenty to look forward to. The development of our youth and the bones of a very good squad. Will we win the premiership in the next 3 to 5 years? No. But I expect to be winning more than we lose by then. I just want to see a competitive effort every week. One where we can walk away from the game and say "we were good today", no matter who we play. I tend to agree with Roos's thoughts on our squad. With the right drafting again, trading and development, along with a good senior Coach, I am happy with the direction Viney and his team have set us on.

Yesterday, I watched Melbourne EASILY get beaten by GWS and occasionally flicked over and saw Richmonds' awesome performance against Hawthorn.

As a member who was born in 1964, next year will see my 50th year of unconditional support of my beloved Dee's. In a low moment yesterday I asked the Mrs, "Does 50 years of support for Melbourne allow me free agency to switch clubs next year?"

If I am lucky I might have 30 years left on this planet to see a Melbourne premiership but the way they played yesterday (and really, for the last few years) - it isn't going to happen!

FOOTNOTE - I would rather die a Melbourne supporter than switch clubs!

Yesterday, I watched Melbourne EASILY get beaten by GWS and occasionally flicked over and saw Richmonds' awesome performance against Hawthorn.

As a member who was born in 1964, next year will see my 50th year of unconditional support of my beloved Dee's. In a low moment yesterday I asked the Mrs, "Does 50 years of support for Melbourne allow me free agency to switch clubs next year?"

If I am lucky I might have 30 years left on this planet to see a Melbourne premiership but the way they played yesterday (and really, for the last few years) - it isn't going to happen!

FOOTNOTE - I would rather die a Melbourne supporter than switch clubs!

Mr Moose, it goes without saying that you won't see a Melbourne Premiership in your life time. My daughter is 5 and even with advances in medicine, she won't either. It's how you deal with it that matters. Go Dees. Edited by Return to Glory
  • Like 1

5. a good draw in 2014 for MCG homes games. The AFL needs to give us home games agst Collingwood (Queens Birthday), Carlton, Essendon and Richmond as 50,000 strong attendances to help our coffers. Games agst Giants, Dockers, Power etc at MCG would be avoided. And no homes games at Etihad.

Don't hold your breath on this one. It's simply not going to happen.

Preimership in 2014!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I think I must have just past the Essendon Club Room and breathed in too much of their air. Oh well at least noone will be my optimism.

LOL

We all want to see MFC where it belongs again, PJ has the restructure under control

so we need to fix two things to have decent prospects for 2014 and beyond

1. culture, the ability to gain and retain talent, develop it and get the most out of the players we bring in, i think Todd viney has done a great job in terms of the draft, all of the players he has bought in besides stark have offered quite abit.

2. midfield, we need at least 1 senior mid to provide on field leadership and teach the younger players.\

if we get those right we will imo be a much better side in 2014, might well do what GC have done this year.

• Like 1

Well, he's clearly moved down the pecking order at the Hawks and the contract we should offer him would expire in 2016, so the extra year. He wouldn't be on as much as we could offer him either. Go hard, FD.

Sewell signed for 3 years for 2013-15 ...

It will take a 3 year deal and top dollar to get him here.

He certainly won't be offered that at Hawthorn.

Luke Parker is another one we should be targeting, he'd be perfect and is in a more attractive age bracket.

With Mitchell coming through, it's limited Parker's time in the midfield at Sydney.

Now both Mitchell and Parker spent more time outside the midfield and even McVeigh has been pushed down back.

I can't imagine Parker would see himself getting anymore time next year, he'll get even less!

We should offer him an attractive salary, it would be worth a shot.

Had an idea for our Potential 2014 lineup, maybe optimistic but this is the thread for it.

B: Mcdonald Frawley z.jones

HB: Grimes Garland Terlich

C: Toumpas Viney Aish

HF: Sylvia Hogan Trengove

F: Clark Dawes Howe

FOL: Gawn N.jones Sidebottom

int: Dunstan Fitz Sheed

sub: Kent

very young lineup but i think if we get a PP

Trade pick 1 for Steele Sidebottom and first round pick (12 overall)

Pick 2: James Aish

Trade Jack watts to Carlton for 1st round pick (9 overall )

pick 9 ( Dom Sheed )

pick 12 ( Matt Crouch )

pick 19 ( Luke Dunstan )

next pick ( Nathan jones brother looks a good defensive prospect, has similar traits such as work ethic as his brother.

this sorts out our playing list long term, we will then be in a position to focus on developing what should be a very good side going forward, went for hard in and under mids as i feel they're a universally effective type to target and all listed would add instant improvement to our list, Aish, Toumpas and sidebottom provide the outside polish.

Well said D4L!!!!

I, for one, cannot disagree with your comments. There is plenty to look forward to. The development of our youth and the bones of a very good squad. Will we win the premiership in the next 3 to 5 years? No. But I expect to be winning more than we lose by then. I just want to see a competitive effort every week. One where we can walk away from the game and say "we were good today", no matter who we play. I tend to agree with Roos's thoughts on our squad. With the right drafting again, trading and development, along with a good senior Coach, I am happy with the direction Viney and his team have set us on.

just cause you guys write it down doesnt mean it will happen. "watts improvement'. hmmm perhaps

cant believe you havent said "get Dale Thomas"

get Taylor Adams

mate, we've got to get our priority right.

These 2 players are already young and more mature star.

I am not interested in getting half players such as Greenwood