Realistically where I see the playing list

Parma

From the weekends team how I rate their immediate futures;

Trengove - Gunna play 150 but just a player

Grimes - If can stay fit will be a classy reliable player

Jones - gutsy, passionate, but slow, needs help. Should be captain

Watts - Continues to improve, must stay, will play 200 for the club

Toumpas - First year player, remember that, will make it with right coaches

Dawes - needs to be a pack breaker like Neitz not just a goal kicker we will have lead ups

Frawley - Quality, needs support

Byrnes - thanks but goodbye

Sylvia - has the game but need to accept its not there every week

Dunn - trade or sign cheap as a fill in player

Rodan - too slow for pace and by hand and foot, but strong, use to help kids at casey

Garland - quality and doesnt get due credit, born leader, must keep

McDonald - has 2nd year blues will be good as long as he doesnt kick it to much.

Nicholson - trade for any pick terrible disposal, doesnt matter how quick or wot endurance he has.

Kent - not up to it at this stage

Davey - thanks mate youve been great. But youve lost your weapons

Gawn - Still played under 15 games going to be elite

Howe - Highlight machine, needs to get get ball more,consistantly

M.Jones - not quick but will be solid for years to come

Terlich - Really like endeavour, needs polish then will make a great half back

Fitzpatrick - Great endeavour, big boy with big tank and quick, I hope that's enough. Poor kick. pray to god he is up to it.

Clisby - not sure yet

Plus the others

Clarke - need him fit brings so much to the team.

Viney - Same as Toumpus See above

Strauss - to light and just hasnt had the luck, wont make it

MacDonald - enjoy retirement

Bail - has filled gaps but time to go

Tynan - one more year to get body right and get his chance

Davis - tried down back now tried down forward where he wont compete, goodbye

Sellar - trade if we can

Pederson - persist for another year and get fit and lean

Tapscott - dont need another slow player, trade or delist

Jetta - Has weapons needs to string games together 50% chance.

Spencer - Must keep as back up at this stage - one more year

Jamar - if gawn had a full season under his belt id say trade but one more year at least , hoping he can recapture form

Blease - needs to be let off the leash and be that crumbing forward, want to see more

Gillies - Not a key backman and slow, mistake

Barry - project player, needs a good coach

Taggert - worth persistence,

Hogan - sign for 8 years

Couch - slow old style football, in a good team could give something

Magner - Better than Couch but same

Missing a few players. I guess they are not worth a mention.

Clarke will be leading run scorer in the Ashes series... Mitch Clark will be MFC leading goal kicker in 2014.

If he can stay on the park and Hogan passes to him, instead of kicking them himself.

• Like 1

I'm happy with the performance and/or potential of our defence and forwards. I'd much rather be us than a lot of other clubs (e.g. Carlton, Bulldogs, GWS) who are really struggling for good KPPs.

Midfield is obviously the key area to rehabilitate, and I reckon we are some valuable experience gains, plus three hardened A-B Grade midfielders, away from being good.

In terms of experience gains, we just need to get more games into our future ... our new/young players. It's easy to forget that Viney has played 6 games, Kent 7 and Toumpas 8, or that Blease has only played 27, or that none of Matt Jones, Terlich and Clisby have yet reached 15. Compare that to the hardened, experienced pack we faced on the weekend ... Bolton (315), O'Keefe (271), McVeigh (208), Malcelski (140), Jack (128), Kennedy (100) and Hannebery (91). Or the missing Goodes (331).

In terms of getting three midfielders: the right selections with draft picks #2 (and #20?) for the future, hopefully an 'inwards' trade plus a good pick in the PSD, could see us progressively getting a hell of a lot better.

• Like 1

Missing a few players. I guess they are not worth a mention.

Clarke will be leading run scorer in the Ashes series... Mitch Clark will be MFC leading goal kicker in 2014.

Not if Cook performs. Alistair that is, not Lucas.

• Like 1

I feel like you have clear favourites, and are a bit harsh on some players!

But as you said it is your opinion and I couldn't be bothered going through every player as you did. So well done

Dawes - needs to be a pack breaker like Neitz not just a goal kicker we will have lead ups

I would have thought that will be something that Hogan was "designed" to do...he strikes me as a latter day Plugger Lockett.

Id rather look at it a different way.

Best 22 in 2 yrs time (2015)

Hogan, Jones, Watts, Toumpas, Viney, Frawley, Trengrove, Clarke, Sylvia, Dawes,

Blease, Garland, McDonald, Grimes, Evans, Barry, Kent, Gawn, Howe, Davis, M Jones, Terlich, Fitzpatrick, Clisby

* then you have 2 years of draftees and trades.

Jurys out : Tynan, Tapscott, Jetta, Spencer, Taggert, Stark ( they want to hurry up)

Not:

Byrnes, McKenzie, Dunn, Rodan, Strauss, Pederson, Nicholson, Gillies, MacDonald, Sellar, Davey, Jamar, Bail, Magner, Couch.

Edited by Deano74
  • Like 2

i don't get why people are saying get rid of Davey at the end of the year. yes he may've lost some of his pace, but he is still fast, still has great kicking skills and can create something out of nothing. he has produced this year and he should still have another year left in him, possibly 2 but that would be it.

• Like 2

Barry in the Best 22??????

Yeah well thats a guess i spose. But you would hope with development of Paul Roos, he will be the next Lewis Jetta.

Prob should have had him in jurys out- seeing i havent seen him.

trengove with a full pre-season should return to the sort of footy he produced in 2010-11. he started the year slowly which can be expected due to the lengthy stint with injury during pre-season but he is now improving with every game he is playing.

As good as Dawes has been, I worry about his future. We have Watts and Fitzpatrick showing a bit now. We have Clark and Hogan to come in. That's four tall forwards who are bigger and faster than he is. He's a smart player and knows how to do the job, but he could very well be Casey's most expensive recruit. He needs to add a bit more explosion to his game to hold his own in the next couple of years.

As good as Dawes has been, I worry about his future. We have Watts and Fitzpatrick showing a bit now. We have Clark and Hogan to come in. That's four tall forwards who are bigger and faster than he is. He's a smart player and knows how to do the job, but he could very well be Casey's most expensive recruit. He needs to add a bit more explosion to his game to hold his own in the next couple of years.

You're joking right?

Jack Watts can play basically anywhere from back pocket to the forward flank, and Fitzy and Hogan are both capable of holding down wing positions. Dawes is obviously the least versatile of them all, but when everyone else can play all sorts of positions I wouldn't worry too much about it - especially when you consider that the likelihood of everyone being fit at the same time is very very low.

• Like 2

I keep remembering how Howes kicking improved amazingly over the last preseason and hope someone kidnaps Nicholson and makes sure he does the same before R1 2014. If he could really kick he'd be worth inclusion because he can run anyone into the ground tagging.

Won't hold my breath though