Jack Fitzpatrick

Stick him in the middle as the extra mobile tall (Goodes/Roughhead role)

Can't hurt with our season the way it is lol

I've always thought for years now, that if he develops, I see his potential as an ottens type... lets hope so anyway.

• Like 1

Sat - you are going to get one hell of a surprise when the list gets turned over again at the end of the year.

Not all of our players are very good. In fact, few of them are.

And McQueen was saying "Terlich is greater than Yarran" not whatever you thought he said. The symbol ">" means "greater than."

I was actually being funny, perhaps 'no comprende'....I am not going to be surprised, I wasn't surprised at the end of last season, just maybe with one decision, I assume there will be delistings/retirements/trades, there has to be at least 4

Depends on your definition of good, I was told at the start of the season by a Carlton supporter that Carlton was full of good/great/excellent players....for some reason he has changed his mind lately........good is relative

As for Dunn, I think the post listing his roles over the years highlights his versatility, and why he gets picked, they are trying to do the same with Nicholson, the game has changed, I love to see all 22 players being able to play every position, except of course maybe ruck, but because they are taking the battering out of that, so Natanui can continue to look good, even that role is changing...I am expecting more Clubs to look for basketball players to play ruck

Why, thought posters on this site did not like downhill skiers....if Malthouse can't get him to play, who do you think could?

Yeah, I'm not a big wrap for Yarran. I remember a couple of seasons back when our good mate Greg Denham labelled him a champion, a little soon for that talk I would have thought. Some poor caller got howled down for disagreeing, imagine that.

If Yarran could get his work rate up and get more involved in the contest he could be value, a bit like Motlop at the Cats but there are a few too many if's for me at the moment.

good decisions would be to hang onto what we Know we have,,,, & try to buy & draft, what we need.

that'd be novel ^_^

Yeah, I'm not a big wrap for Yarran. I remember a couple of seasons back when our good mate Greg Denham labelled him a champion, a little soon for that talk I would have thought. Some poor caller got howled down for disagreeing, imagine that.

If Yarran could get his work rate up and get more involved in the contest he could be value, a bit like Motlop at the Cats but there are a few too many if's for me at the moment.

The guys a weapon , I would trade Fitzy for him in a second, I think Malthouse and Yarran have a bit of Neeld and Moloney going on.
  • Like 1

Fitzy is already showing more hunger and combativeness than Yarran has shown in his career.

Micky would happily do a trade.

Only a madman would accept it.

Fitzy will be (barring injury) a wonderful weapon for this club in the future.

He reminds me of a fast Big Bob J.

• Like 1

If I was trading Fitzy (which I'm not but you'd always be open to offers) it would be for a legitimate midfielder. One who wins clearances and the likes not a Yarran who floats around be it forward or back or on the wing.

Collingwood would love a forward/ruck to replace Lynch who's clearly passed his use by date and I'd be looking at Kyle Martin or Josh Thomas in return.

Edited by the master

I agree to an extent with rpfc. It entirely depends in this hypothetically world what is on offer for Fitzpatrick. I'd prefer to keep him, but if we could get a 24-25 A grade midfielder for him, I'd jump at it. Hawthorn were ruthless. It essentially won them a flag and set them up for a decade of power. They've been unlucky to come up against the greatest team of all.

It's a fine line. We shouldn't be gung-ho about trading someone of Fitzy's upside, but if the right offer is there, we shouldn't be too conservative.

If I was trading Fitzy (which I'm not but you'd always be open to offers) it would be for a legitimate midfielder. One who wins clearances and the likes not a Yarran who floats around be it forward or back or on the wing.

Collingwood would love a forward/ruck to replace Lynch who's clearly passed his use by date and I'd be looking at Kyle Martin or Josh Thomas in return.

I'd be asking for more than Martin or Thomas. Fitzy holds greater value to us over the next year or two than Martin or Thomas would in our side. Essentially, it'd have to be a deal slanted in our favour for me to go it. There's no use trading if you're not getting someone who's going to have an immediate impact. Otherwise we stick simply to the draft.

• Like 1

I agree to an extent with rpfc. It entirely depends in this hypothetically world what is on offer for Fitzpatrick. I'd prefer to keep him, but if we could get a 24-25 A grade midfielder for him, I'd jump at it. Hawthorn were ruthless. It essentially won them a flag and set them up for a decade of power. They've been unlucky to come up against the greatest team of all.

It's a fine line. We shouldn't be gung-ho about trading someone of Fitzy's upside, but if the right offer is there, we shouldn't be too conservative.

I hardly think that it is being "too conservative" to try and retain the semblance of a good forwardline and a good backline, especially when our forwardline in particular has been beset by injuries in past years. Surely our recruiting team can secure a midfielder with our low draft picks, coupled trading from the remainder of our list. Let us look how Viney goes in the remainder of of the year, together with Matt Jones and the re-energised Sylvia, before when plan to cull the much-needed depth from pour forwardline!

• Like 1

Next year I see Fitzpatrick as our back-up tall if all of Clark, Dawes and Hogan are fit, and the latter comes on as expected.

He will also share ruck duties with Clark if Gawn and Jamar are injured.

All possibilities raised in this thread remain flexible and are dependent on fitness and development. It amuses me that many posters get so caught up in their opinions that they somehow presume that their view WILL be the truth.

Clark may Ruck next yr, swapping with Fitzy or Gawn up forward. Would be a good combo and leave:

Watts, Hogan, Dawes, Howe up forward with one of Clark, Fitzy or Gawn.

Maybe the best option?

To many talks where do they all fit??? Spencer & Jamar also.....

I hardly think that it is being "too conservative" to try and retain the semblance of a good forwardline and a good backline, especially when our forwardline in particular has been beset by injuries in past years. Surely our recruiting team can secure a midfielder with our low draft picks, coupled trading from the remainder of our list. Let us look how Viney goes in the remainder of of the year, together with Matt Jones and the re-energised Sylvia, before when plan to cull the much-needed depth from pour forwardline!

Dawes, Watts, Hogan, Clark and Howe is mouth-watering. Fitzy could become surfeit. A draft pick is not necessarily tangible talent. Fitzpatrick has shown he can play the game at the highest level now.

Fitzy's output has been great, really looks comfortable at the level. Really wrapped to see him do well against a good side in Sydney today. Given our forward stocks now though, we will probably have to look at trading him with Hogan in next year. To the Dogs perhaps, for their 2nd round pick? If everyone is fit, he's our 5th choice key forward.

Play watts on one wing and Fitzy on the other. Impossible to match up with. Both big, both fast, both good kicks. A match winning combination!

• Like 3

For those so anxious to trade Fitzpatrick, consider he has not been able to complete a full preseason yet and has had his share of setbacks early in his career. He has been a revelation so far this year and he has a real upside. As his confidence grows his games will continue to improve. To even think about a trade for Yarran is an absolute joke. Yarran does not have an upside for us at all. He is struggling under Malthouse.

The last big man Carlton traded was Josh Kennedy and how that has come back to bite them. Trading Fitzy could have the same result.

Next year I see Fitzpatrick as our back-up tall if all of Clark, Dawes and Hogan are fit, and the latter comes on as expected.

All possibilities raised in this thread remain flexible and are dependent on fitness and development. It amuses me that many posters get so caught up in their opinions that they somehow presume that their view WILL be the truth.

If he was to keep kicking goals and averaging 2-3 a game he would not be a back up for anyone.

That would make him a forward who kicks between 50 and 75 goals a year.

That would make him the first forward picked bar no one.

• Like 1

Play watts on one wing and Fitzy on the other. Impossible to match up with. Both big, both fast, both good kicks. A match winning combination!

I actually think that's a really interesting thought. Could a team carry Clark, Gawn, Fitzpatrick, Watts, Dawes, Hogan, McDonald, Frawley plus Garland and Howe? Could they all be on the field at once? It would be nice to be ahead of the game for once in terms of the next big trend in footy. A plethora of mobile talls with big engines and good skills may well be it. A couple of big inside midfielders like Kennedy and Watson would be interesting in combination with the above key position players as well.

• Like 3

For years we've had no competition for spots in our 22, as soon as we get some we want to trade blokes out. I'd be giving it at least another year before before I even considered it.

Whilst I tend to agree, IF by some chance we were offered a good clearance mid for Fitz, or preferably Jamar, we would certainly not write it off without due consideration.

• Like 1

Midfielders are generally pretty easy to find in the draft. So we should be able to add to Viney, Toumpas, M Jones, Kent (and maybe Taggert) in the upcoming draft. If we want to recruit a ready made midfielder from another club and we can't get him via free agency we need to accept that we will have to trade away one or more "good players"* or those with potential. I hate losing home grown talent. But in this instance it may be worth it.

*I just hope that another club sees Dunn, Sellar or Pedersen as "good players".

LOL ;-)))

I actually think that's a really interesting thought. Could a team carry Clark, Gawn, Fitzpatrick, Watts, Dawes, Hogan, McDonald, Frawley plus Garland and Howe? Could they all be on the field at once? It would be nice to be ahead of the game for once in terms of the next big trend in footy. A plethora of mobile talls with big engines and good skills may well be it. A couple of big inside midfielders like Kennedy and Watson would be interesting in combination with the above key position players as well.

Given they're all extremely mobile (with the exception perhaps of Dawes in this context), I see no reason why we couldn't fit them all in.

Fitzy is already showing more hunger and combativeness than Yarran has shown in his career.

Micky would happily do a trade.

Only a madman would accept it.

Fitzy will be (barring injury) a wonderful weapon for this club in the future.

He reminds me of a fast Big Bob J.

ahhhh ..... the memories !

Clark may Ruck next yr, swapping with Fitzy or Gawn up forward. Would be a good combo and leave:

Watts, Hogan, Dawes, Howe up forward with one of Clark, Fitzy or Gawn.

Maybe the best option?

To many talks where do they all fit??? Spencer & Jamar also.....

Please.....IF, a big IF, Clark gets back and into any semblance of his previous forward form, he should never ruck again save for the odd boundary contest deep forward.

Don't people see (i) how valuable he is a s a big forward, and (ii) how vulnerable he is to foot trauma?

I think I may have mentioned this earlier in this, or another thread.

Just because others haven't done something, why should we not for once in over half a century, lead the way as TGNS did with Barassi as a never before considered position of ruck-rover, and Webb / Rowarth as 'decoy' fast leading FFs, amongst his other innovations. These lead us to a decade of domination and joy!

• Like 1

Given they're all extremely mobile (with the exception perhaps of Dawes in this context), I see no reason why we couldn't fit them all in.

FB: Terlich - Frawley - Garland

CHB: Grimes - McDonald - Clisby

C: Watts - Viney - Fitzpatrick

CHF: Howe - Dawes - Sylvia

FF: Hogan - Clark - Blease

FOLL: Gawn - FA Pickup - N Jones

INT: Trengove - Kent - Toumpas - ND Pick 2

Something like this?

Edited by Goodvibes
  • Like 2