Dominic Sheed

Well then that's why he underwhelms you. You clearly haven't seen enough of him.

I don't understand how you rate someone like Kelly above Sheed when Kelly is the meaningless outside possession gatherer that you referred to in your earlier post.

Sheed wins his own ball, goes forward and kicks goals, captained WA, has a nice left foot with great awareness and agility and Hogan speaks highly of him as a past teammate.

The Hogan remark alone should be enough to win you over I would have thought..

Most people rate Kelly and Aish above Sheed.

I rate Sheed above both, but I'd be happy with Aish and Kelly because we can pull the trigger on an inside mid at 19 and there is few.

Really like Dumont, he'd be my fav of the draft, really hope we land this kid.

Talking to blokes who know a bit, they say we'll take Aish and that he is a standout at 2.

• 1 month later...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSNv0P_fAMM

Number 47. Is it just me or did he turn it over every 2nd posession he had? Can't see us using Pick 2 on him assuming we hold onto it. We'll go with Aish, Kelly or Scharenberg.

Looks a good runner and a nice long kick. Reckon he'll go to West Coast at Pick 6 IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YSNv0P_fAMM

Number 47. Is it just me or did he turn it over every 2nd posession he had? Can't see us using Pick 2 on him assuming we hold onto it. We'll go with Aish, Kelly or Scharenberg.

Looks a good runner and a nice long kick. Reckon he'll go to West Coast at Pick 6 IMO.

Yeah, looked ordinary in the clip, but you've got to see players a number of times.

I never concentrated on Shuey at the carnival the year he played, even though I saw a few of his matches. I then watched a clip at the end of the year and he butchered every second kick.

You need to see a lot of them.

He is a clearance machine, but we need to take the best talent that we can with each pick, pick 2 that is going to be James Aish.

Picking Aish with pick 2 this year is akin to picking Toumpas last year with pick 3, both on the basis of 'best player available'. I may be mistaken, but I suspect the elite skills of Aish and Toumpas makes them similar sort of [lightly-framed] players. i am not sure whether it is best for MFC in 2014 to have two players with similar traits running around the paddock next year. Better we retain Toumpas [who has an extra year under his belt] and go for somebody with a bit of grunt this year.

• Like 1

Picking Aish with pick 2 this year is akin to picking Toumpas last year with pick 3, both on the basis of 'best player available'. I may be mistaken, but I suspect the elite skills of Aish and Toumpas makes them similar sort of [lightly-framed] players. i am not sure whether it is best for MFC in 2014 to have two players with similar traits running around the paddock next year. Better we retain Toumpas [who has an extra year under his belt] and go for somebody with a bit of grunt this year.

I understand what you're saying but my question is who?

Scharenberg is a flanker who could play midfield ( Roos said he wants genuine midfielders, no more flankers )

Kelly is just as light as Aish

then you look at guys like Freeman, Crouch and Sheed who might all slip out of the top 10 or even top 15, so it's really hard to suggest who we should take if not Aish

personally i'd take Matt Crouch because he attacks the ball like Jack Viney, is built like his brother and is a contested ball clearance machine and ball magnet, everything we need, having said that if we can set up some sort of trade with GWS that see's us getting Taylor Adams and pick 10 for pick 2 and using pick 10 on Crouch I would be absolutely thrilled, that gets us two very hard nuts around the ball.

• Like 1

Scharenberg is a flanker who could play midfield ( Roos said he wants genuine midfielders, no more flankers )

It's difficult to project the strengths of a player years down the track. Fyfe and Mundy started off as flankers and now they're the big mids that everyone wants to emulate.

Scharenberg very much seems that type.

• Like 2

It's difficult to project the strengths of a player years down the track. Fyfe and Mundy started off as flankers and now they're the big mids that everyone wants to emulate.

Yeah that's a good point,

seen quite abit of Schareberg this year and I rate him as the best player in the draft purely on talent and potential upside, reminds me a little of Adam goodes when he plays up the ground, but is also like a Mackie across half back

wouldn't cry if we draft him at pick 2, especially if Roos feels he can get much more output from guys like Trengove and co

Agree.

I've not seen anyone else say it yet, but Mundy is the one guy that Scharenberg reminds me of.

Others have said Birchall or Mackie, but I think that's underselling his ability.

• Like 1

'Ben', I think pick 2 will be from Aish, Scharenberg and Kelly. They all look good players on the limited viewing, admittedly not live.

Would trust the recruiters we have now to make the choice. I really like Crouch in this draft but I don't think we will take him this high, he is probably the best contested ball winner and clearance player in the draft, similar to Viney,he would kill to get the ball.

Wouldn't be unhappy with Scharenberg.

• Like 1

'Ben', I think pick 2 will be from Aish, Scharenberg and Kelly. They all look good players on the limited viewing, admittedly not live.

Would trust the recruiters we have now to make the choice. I really like Crouch in this draft but I don't think we will take him this high, he is probably the best contested ball winner and clearance player in the draft, similar to Viney,he would kill to get the ball.

Wouldn't be unhappy with Scharenberg.

I still think the best outcome for us involving pick 2 is

pick 2 for Adams and pick 10

pick 10 for Matt Crouch.

that's two hard nuts who fit our needs as a club exactly, two quality young mids for pick 2 is as good as any offer we're going to receive and both Adams and Crouch I rate ahead of Aish.

• Like 1

Scharenberg and Crouch are the only two guys I'd be happy with. Aish looks like a player, on admittedly little viewing, but I reckon we're going to try our darndest to trade pick #2 for an established mid and look to get a harder bodied player (ie. Crouch) later on.

• 4 weeks later...

Looked much better in the most recent AFL footage.

I got this wrong. Looks a really good player.

There seems to be some really strong choices at pick 9.

It's always tough to tell how good the kids will go at senior level and whether each respective draft class is actually good or just look good in comparison to their peers. However as it stands I'll be happy if we pick any of Sheed (who was my early choice for pick 2), Freeman, Crouch (the pure midfielders), KK (I won't even try to spell his name), Bontempelli or even Lennon. I have a feeling we'll get one of the players we want and if Freeman and Sheed are both still available it will be a tough choice to split them. Sheed sounds like the more pure midfielder but Freeman seems to have a burst of speed which could add some dynamism to our midfield. I know Sheed can find the goals but not sure on Freeman's tendency to hit the scoreboard?

I assume Eagles are after Sheed at 11 so would feel good to pip them after they pinched Shuey from us in 2008.

• Like 1

I will preface this by saying that I haven't seen much of any junior players this year.

Sheed will need to become an inside clearance player at AFL level to be really good. I'm just not sure he has the quickness or innate ability to make space for himself in close to become a top level clearance mid. At AFL level you don't have the space and time that you get at under 18 level, so you need a few tricks to be effective. These might be in terms of size, ability to feed the ball quickly, agility, ability to buy yourself time with the footy or speed.

I just see an honest footballer who does a lot of good, boring things to a decent level. Many compare him to Priddis, but I don't think he has his tricks. Priddis has very quick hands, which makes him effecting as a stoppage mid, which I didn't see in Sheed. He's very meat and potatoes, but does appear to have a high level of maturity (physically and mentally in his understanding of the game). But I don't think that this production will translate as well at AFL level.

I think it would be spending pick 9 on Brad Sewell. I wouldn't do it.

• Like 2

I will preface this by saying that I haven't seen much of any junior players this year. Sheed will need to become an inside clearance player at AFL level to be really good. I'm just not sure he has the quickness or innate ability to make space for himself in close to become a top level clearance mid. At AFL level you don't have the space and time that you get at under 18 level, so you need a few tricks to be effective. These might be in terms of size, ability to feed the ball quickly, agility, ability to buy yourself time with the footy or speed. I just see an honest footballer who does a lot of good, boring things to a decent level. Many compare him to Priddis, but I don't think he has his tricks. Priddis has very quick hands, which makes him effecting as a stoppage mid, which I didn't see in Sheed. He's very meat and potatoes, but does appear to have a high level of maturity (physically and mentally in his understanding of the game). But I don't think that this production will translate as well at AFL level. I think it would be spending pick 9 on Brad Sewell. I wouldn't do it.

I don't ever remember Brad Sewell being touted as a top 10 draft pick...

Ludicrous comparison if you ask me. I urge you to go back and look at someone like Pendelbury's under 18's highlight reel. Or perhaps Heppell. They move in a similar way, don't let this lack of speed fool you. Dom Sheed is a very smart player and he seems to have that awareness that makes it look like he has more time to dispose of the ball.

I'm not saying he is or WILL be as good as either of those two I've mentioned above, but he certainly reminded me of them when I saw his carnival games this year. I reckon he's a jet.

• Like 1

I don't think we will go for Sheed. Roos looks like he is targeting taller mids Vince 188Michie 185Tyson 186All taller than Sheed.

I don't think Roos has deliberately targeted taller mids.. It just happens we took those three and they're around the same height.

If your theory is indeed true, Sheed would fit the bill anyway as I'm pretty certain he is around the 185-187cm mark.

I don't ever remember Brad Sewell being touted as a top 10 draft pick...

Ludicrous comparison if you ask me. I urge you to go back and look at someone like Pendelbury's under 18's highlight reel. Or perhaps Heppell. They move in a similar way, don't let this lack of speed fool you. Dom Sheed is a very smart player and he seems to have that awareness that makes it look like he has more time to dispose of the ball.

I'm not saying he is or WILL be as good as either of those two I've mentioned above, but he certainly reminded me of them when I saw his carnival games this year. I reckon he's a jet.

I don't remember his being touted as a top 10 pick either. That's my point. Good player, but you'd expect more if you were drafting in the top 10.

Pendlebury's highlights reel was great. His ability to buy time for himself, as well as his quickness inside packs, has made him the star that he is. Sheed does neither of these things and is also 3 inches shorter (and physically mature). Heppell was a completely different style of player. He was a hard running half back distributor, not an inside clearance midfielder. Plus he was far less physically mature than Sheed is.