The James Aish Thread

I don't get the hate. Knightmare had his 2013 phantom draft up last year. He changes it often based on what he see's and hears throughout the year. Would you prefer he waits until a week before the draft and then put one up? He hasn't just gone with the group think list's like most phantom drafts. These are his genuine thoughts on where the players will go based on a thorough following of junior football. His phantom thread is over 50 pages long. Most of the posts are from Knightmare answering other posters questions.

Personally I prefer other posters like Quigley (who will tell you why a player won't make it) and Snoop dog's. But I'm not going to bag a guy out who has devoted a lot of spare time watching and sharing his opinion on junior football.

I'll be looking forward to your phantom draft mjt.

I agree. If you expect him to get it all right forget it. His mock draft is always pretty close to the mark. And he knows his stuff.

Knightmare knows his stuff, he is a good dude and he puts his material up for others benefit.

He doesn't boast and rave on that he is an authority on drafting.

Take opinions of his and others on board, watch the players and come to your own conclusions.

Drafting isn't exact science and great junior players don't always make it in the AFL.

IMO clubs should be looking more into the mental make up of certain individuals than they do.

On James Aish, it will be interesting where he goes.

I personally think he is a bit too outside for our club.

But blokes who knows more about Aish than myself say that Aish is an outside/inside player.

So, perhaps maybe his shoulder injury has him treading more carefully this year.

One thing I like about Aish is that he has the blood lines for football, he comes from a renowned footy family.

I'd still have Sheed ahead of Aish and if we do get two picks, I'd take both and then look for another inside mid with 19.

* This is if we can't trade one of our pick.

I spoke to my cousin this week, who watches a lot of SANFL and he rates Aish higher than Toumpas, who he didn't rate that highly.

But in saying that, he said he rated Trengove higher than both in the SANFL.

• Like 4

Check out the last few games for Norwood - keeping in mind that Aish is coming back from a shoulder reco and still doing this.

Rnd 16: Saturday July 20th @ Unley Oval v Sturt (2:10pm)

Best: B. Zorzi, J. Aish, M. Suckling, M. Thomas, T. Webber, S. Baulderstone

Goals: J. Aish 3, M. Evans , T. Webber , B. Zorzi , D. Pfeiffer , A. Georgiou , B. Renouf

Rnd 17: Saturday 27th July @ Coopers Stadium v West Adelaide

Best: J. Aish, B. Jefferies, M. Evans, A. Georgiou, M. Thomas, B. Warren

Goals: B. Warren 2, M. Thomas 2, B. Zorzi , M. Newton , M. Evans , B. Dawe

Rnd 18: Friday August 2nd @ Coopers Stadium v Port Adelaide

Best: M. Fuller, J. Aish, B. Jefferies, J. Donohue, B. Dawe, A. Kirwan

Goals: J. Donohue 3, M. Evans 2, B. Warren 2, T. Dumont 2, J. Aish 2, M. Fuller , B. Dawe

• Like 3

Check out the last few games for Norwood - keeping in mind that Aish is coming back from a shoulder reco and still doing this.

Rnd 16: Saturday July 20th @ Unley Oval v Sturt (2:10pm)

Best: B. Zorzi, J. Aish, M. Suckling, M. Thomas, T. Webber, S. Baulderstone

Goals: J. Aish 3, M. Evans , T. Webber , B. Zorzi , D. Pfeiffer , A. Georgiou , B. Renouf

Rnd 17: Saturday 27th July @ Coopers Stadium v West Adelaide

Best: J. Aish, B. Jefferies, M. Evans, A. Georgiou, M. Thomas, B. Warren

Goals: B. Warren 2, M. Thomas 2, B. Zorzi , M. Newton , M. Evans , B. Dawe

Rnd 18: Friday August 2nd @ Coopers Stadium v Port Adelaide

Best: M. Fuller, J. Aish, B. Jefferies, J. Donohue, B. Dawe, A. Kirwan

Goals: J. Donohue 3, M. Evans 2, B. Warren 2, T. Dumont 2, J. Aish 2, M. Fuller , B. Dawe

And his skills imo are on a par with Toumpas and Watts, he is a gamebreaker

• 2 weeks later...

I don't know anything about these kids other than what I read, reading about Aish I read wingman and immediately thought of Jimmy T. This playing against men theory has been proven wrong by Gibbs and our own Jack T. Looking a little bit down the list saw the name Josh Kelly.

• Like 1

I don't know anything about these kids other than what I read, reading about Aish I read wingman and immediately thought of Jimmy T. This playing against men theory has been proven wrong by Gibbs and our own Jack T. Looking a little bit down the list saw the name Josh Kelly.

My cousin in SA rates Aish higher than any draftee to come out of SA in recent times.

I've personally never really taken to Aish, he is classy - but he is outside, but I don't know as much as others, so I will take his opinion for what it's worth.

I think Aish and Kelly would be good players to draft if we get a PP.

Then look for an inside mid at 20/21.

I don't think we'll decent trade, we'd want Sidebottom or Martin, but that is unrealistic.

• Like 1

Knightmare wrap on Aish on Big Footy site.

Aish is an elite user of the footy and just has more time and space than the next player. In space, in traffic, it doesn’t matter for Aish he has rare composure and continues to make the right decisions and never seems rushed. By both hand or foot he consistently uses it well and is one of the more duel sided players you’ll see at this young age and rarely misses a target. Strong mark overhead for his size and has a strong 1v1 game despite his lean build. Aish is an impressive athlete with his ability burst out of traffic with the pill, to sidestep and has a real burst of speed on him in a straight line also. Aish still needs to get stronger but that will come. Despite his lean build he is not a soft outside player and is very willing to get his hands dirty and go hard when it’s his turn but looks more likely to settle on a wing or back flank.

Lock in draft pick #2 for me

This is what worries me about Aish - seems like he could end up more of an outside winger/flanker - we don't need any more flankers we need pure midfielders who can kick goals. This is why I'd be all over Sheed even if he doesn't have as much "polish". Look at how the players we've drafted who had all the skills in the world have developed for us.

If Aish puts his head over it then he's a no brainer. Even slightly outside juniors with tremendous class become great players IF they put their head over the footy.

Gibbs doesn't which is why he's a disappointment. It all gets down to Aish's appetite for the contest. I haven't seen enough of him.

• Like 4

This is what worries me about Aish - seems like he could end up more of an outside winger/flanker - we don't need any more flankers we need pure midfielders who can kick goals. This is why I'd be all over Sheed even if he doesn't have as much "polish". Look at how the players we've drafted who had all the skills in the world have developed for us.

Sheed is not that good in the stoppages 'Gonzo', he's more an accumulator. If you want a hard at it mid you go for Crouch. Aish is a very good footballer who will hit the contest and distribute well, we haven't really had any of those drafted at all recently. Kelly is a no nonsense players with good hand and skills.

Aish at pick 2 for me ... but I like Nathan Freeman from Sandringham as a smokie for pick 2.

Can't see us going for a smokey, having said that i think Carlton will fork over pick 11 for Watts and Freeman might well still be around at that pick.

so if we get a PP of 2 & 3 and get 11

2: James Aish

3: Dom Sheed

11: Nathan Freeman

21: Trent Durmont

How's that for a midfield supercharge?

Can't see us going for a smokey, having said that i think Carlton will fork over pick 11 for Watts and Freeman might well still be around at that pick.

so if we get a PP of 2 & 3 and get 11

2: James Aish

3: Dom Sheed

11: Nathan Freeman

21: Trent Durmont

How's that for a midfield supercharge?

we were saying the same thing when we drafted Scully, Trengove, Gysberts and Tapscott.

One took a look at our culture and got the hell out as fast as he could, one has been stuck in reverse for the better part of 2 years, one's not even getting a game at another club after being traded and the last just doesn't do anything, except for trip over a sprinkler and take 2 years to recover.

• Like 2

we were saying the same thing when we drafted Scully, Trengove, Gysberts and Tapscott.

One took a look at our culture and got the hell out as fast as he could, one has been stuck in reverse for the better part of 2 years, one's not even getting a game at another club after being traded and the last just doesn't do anything, except for trip over a sprinkler and take 2 years to recover.

the culture is being worked on now, if nothing else they're trying to improve that, Gysberts is playing some great footy in the VFL unfortunately can't crack an AFL game but i'm sure he will, Scully and Trengove will both be very solid players in time and Tapscott has another year to go and has had a serious injury, none have reached 100 games yet.

So should we just give up?

So should we just give up?

No, we shouldn't... Both Aish and Kelly are football blue bloods - with performances on the board.

Both have talent, performance, genetics and in Kellys case an insane work ethic - can't speak for Aish, I haven't seen enough of him to comment on his work ethic.

It's a different situation completely from Trengove and Scully.

Scully is more of an athlete than a footballer and got where he did based more on hard work - not genetics and talent, Kelly has both.

Trengove I'm not sure, I think you'll be hard up to find any recruiter who would not of taken Jack Trengove in the top 2.

Even people I know from SA still maintain that Trengove will make it, because a kid can't be that good - and now look like rubbish.

• Like 1

No, we shouldn't... Both Aish and Kelly are football blue bloods - with performances on the board.

Both have talent, performance, genetics and in Kellys case an insane work ethic - can't speak for Aish, I haven't seen enough of him to comment on his work ethic.

It's a different situation completely from Trengove and Scully.

Scully is more of an athlete than a footballer and got where he did based more on hard work - not genetics and talent, Kelly has both.

Trengove I'm not sure, I think you'll be hard up to find any recruiter who would not of taken Jack Trengove in the top 2.

Even people I know from SA still maintain that Trengove will make it, because a kid can't be that good - and now look like rubbish.

This is a point that frustrates me, he doesn't look like rubbish imo, he looks like a young mid hampered by some sort of injury, OP or whatever for this year he is

1st in tackles

3rd in disposals

3rd in dream team ( weird stat i know but i think it does reflect good all round performance)

he is currently averaging over 20 touches a game under craig,

so he certainly hasn't lived up to the hype at this stage, but he is a long way from being at the point of saying he isn't going to make it either,

Aish to me oozes class, and if we get a PP i wouldn't be surprised if we took Aish and Kelly at 2 and 3 oddly enough it's abit like a Scully and Trengove combo in alot of ways

• Like 4

This is a point that frustrates me, he doesn't look like rubbish imo, he looks like a young mid hampered by some sort of injury, OP or whatever for this year he is

1st in tackles

3rd in disposals

3rd in dream team ( weird stat i know but i think it does reflect good all round performance)

he is currently averaging over 20 touches a game under craig,

so he certainly hasn't lived up to the hype at this stage, but he is a long way from being at the point of saying he isn't going to make it either,

Aish to me oozes class, and if we get a PP i wouldn't be surprised if we took Aish and Kelly at 2 and 3 oddly enough it's abit like a Scully and Trengove combo in alot of ways

Football runs in their blood, I don't underestimate football genetics.

Both kids have performance on the board and look to have all the other tools, Kelly is far better than Scully by foot.

If we got a PP, I'd like for us to take the both, but I'd understand if we took a Crouch/Sheed type or traded the PP for an established player.

As for Trengove, he certainly hasn't lived up to his high rating, but hopefully if Roos can get the gig, he can turn him around.

Football runs in their blood, I don't underestimate football genetics.

Both kids have performance on the board and look to have all the other tools, Kelly is far better than Scully by foot.

If we got a PP, I'd like for us to take the both, but I'd understand if we took a Crouch/Sheed type or traded the PP for an established player.

As for Trengove, he certainly hasn't lived up to his high rating, but hopefully if Roos can get the gig, he can turn him around.

I actually feel the " kelly " type may be as important to us as the in and under players

from all reports we are having a real crack at Adams so that helps sure up the inside stuff, Aish and toumpas are well rounded mids with fantastic skills another thing we needed

but Kellys ability to run harder than anyone on the ground would be very handy, how often our defenders kick to contests because noone runs hard enough to give them an option, slap kelly on a wing and he might just help out abit in the regard

If we pick up Aish (who IMO should only play limited time in the mid in the first year), then I would be inclined to chase the bigger bodied inside mid in Dunstan. If we can get Adams that certainly changes the equation IMO and josh Kelly would be very appealing.

My question would be if we get picks 1 and 3 as is being suggested, would GWS take Aish, Kelly, Billings, Scharenberg, Sheed, Crouch with two? imo they would take Scharenberg because on raw talent i think he is the best of the rest behind boyd.