• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Betting market move

Wolfmother

So I guess if you do it for one club, you're not really that much more likely to do it for another club.

Except that of those eight coaches, there are a few multiple flags at their second clubs. Malthouse - 3 (2 at his second, 1 at his third), Matthews 3, Barassi 4, Jeans 3, Hughes 4, Worral 5, bentley 2, parkin 3. So those 8 coaches, once they had finished their first coaching gig, ended up with a total of 27 VFL/AFL premierships at their second or third clubs. That's 23.3% of all premierships won by a coach not in his first senior coaching appointment.

Everyone feel better?

• Like 7

I reckon the betting odds in isolation don't mean much - from memory there was a similar plunge on Ross Lyon to become our coach in 2011 - wish the the punters were onto somethinng then, but alas not.

Having said that I think Roos' comments and lack of denial in the media are pretty telling - he's giving the job serious thought and we are chasing him hard.

It would be interesting to see the reaction if Craig got us winning games a few games (there are some winnable games to finish) towards the end of the year and Roos still got the job.

• Like 1

It may mean somebody ELSE knows something as betting Markets only fluctuate through "weight of money" invested... Seems quite strange that someone SEEMS to have backed Roos with some authority or like some of us, is having a very good guess... I would like to know the size of the biggest wager placed on Roos and the percentage and size of the pool it represents.. :unsure:

or it can mean absolutely nothing more than a punt..

A little story. We'll all climb into the way-back machine and find ourselves at the 1984 Port Augusta Cup.

The cup from Memory was race 6. There were about 11 horses. Now I had been having an OK day pulling bets out my bum. I liked the name of a particular horse and marched up and put 50 each way to a bookie... Within seconds ( and I remember this well for I thought it amazing ) all 4 bookies wound the odds of that horse back to equal fav. Now I went on a hunch ( yes it was the 3rd fav , had run that distance at Adelaide and was coming back from a spell ) but it was just a nag in a race.

it was all perception. Maybe it was my demeanor, maybe it was id won a few that day, maybe because mine was the biggest bet on that horse on the filed to that moment ... who knows. My point is the odds changed dramatically on the back of a whim. I had NO inside info.

The thing is...dont read TOO much into any of this. Its al smoke and mirrors over a relatively small amount of money ( coz the Bookies just WONT let you put anything large down )

As long as they can off load anything bookies just dont care normally but this is an exotic and unlike nags anything could happen. Horses tend to run to form ( in hindsight lol )

If someone spies Roos at a Scorps game... that just might be a tell. Until then, caveat emptor

A little story. We'll all climb into the way-back machine and find ourselves at the 1984 Port Augusta Cup.

The cup from Memory was race 6. There were about 11 horses. Now I had been having an OK day pulling bets out my bum. I liked the name of a particular horse and marched up and put 50 each way to a bookie... Within seconds ( and I remember this well for I thought it amazing ) all 4 bookies wound the odds of that horse back to equal fav. Now I went on a hunch ( yes it was the 3rd fav , had run that distance at Adelaide and was coming back from a spell ) but it was just a nag in a race.

it was all perception. Maybe it was my demeanor, maybe it was id won a few that day, maybe because mine was the biggest bet on that horse on the filed to that moment ... who knows. My point is the odds changed dramatically on the back of a whim. I had NO inside info.

The thing is...dont read TOO much into any of this. Its al smoke and mirrors over a relatively small amount of money ( coz the Bookies just WONT let you put anything large down )

As long as they can off load anything bookies just dont care normally but this is an exotic and unlike nags anything could happen. Horses tend to run to form ( in hindsight lol )

If someone spies Roos at a Scorps game... that just might be a tell. Until then, caveat emptor

Bookies at a Port Augusta meeting in '84 would absolutely wind the odds back of a horse that a random such as yourself has just punted $50 on a horse. That'd be like putting $500 on it today.

I was at the Burrumbeet Cup one year B59, and the bookies there let you bet on Melbourne races. A considerable bet was taken with 1 bookie for a Tassie horse at around 33-1, they turned it straight in to 25-1 (when I got on), which is not a huge plunge (at that stage), it was just the fact that solid money had come for a roughy from interstate. It started at 8-1 and won by the length of the straight.

The key point that we don't know is what is the size of the pools that these corporates are holding? The alarm bells won't ring if someone walked up and had $50 on Roos. Even after a 2nd bet of $50 within a couple of minutes of the first won't concern the bookies, they might bring him in from $5.50 to $5, but that'd be about it. If they took multiple bets over the space of say 24 hours (I'm tipping it would have to be a minimum of a few thousand in total), especially if there had been minimal interest prior to that, then they would slash odds considerably for sure. So while it may not take huge dollars to bring his odds down, it'd still have to be in the low to mid thousands. My question is why would those bets be placed?

I have a friend that works at Centrebet, I will try and find out some information from him (given it was Centrebet that the HS interviewed yesterday).

FWIW - Roos has drifted on IAS Bet - now out to $2.50. Eade has firmed to $4.75, Williams steady.

Was that the horse you backed at Port Augusta? He was a pretty handy horse in his day, sort of a bread and butter type runner, City performer I think.

Was that the horse you backed at Port Augusta? He was a pretty handy horse in his day, sort of a bread and butter type runner, City performer I think.

yep.. Bet on the Gutter Cup !!

Ran quite well that day as I remember :)

As to horses name...... God knows.... Something Hairy lol

Edited by belzebub59
  • Like 1

one hundred and seven

in 114 years there have been 107 premier ship coaches but somehow 9 have flags flags at two clubs?

With multiple flags I think we'd be looking at less than 50 premiership coaches in history. I wonder how many have gone on to coach at a another club?

It would be interesting to know if that 9 reflects 50% of all premiership coaches who have a second crack or 10%.

Interesting.

51 premiership coaches and only another 20 who got to a Grandfinal but lost.

The top 15 coaches on the premiership won list have coached in 124 grand finals (out of a possible 226?) And won 63 flags between then...

A number of Demonlanders have been in contact to ask if I know more about Roos. The answer is: I do not. What we know remains the same: Roos is seriously considering us, I don't believe a decision has been made, I don't expect a decision to be made until after our club finishes its administrative sweep out and replacements have been found. Saying that the commentary from Roos most importantly not ruling himself out of the gig, confirms to me that he is indeed seriously considering and that what I have heard about this since early in the season is accurate.

For the record $1.80 is probably a fair bet. I put money on at $7 but the maximum bet was $20.

• Like 4

Reported on seven news tonight that "Melbourne still remain committed to snaring Paul roos as coach next year, and have reportedly gone cold on Mark Williams."

It was seven news, and it was sandy Roberts. So taken with a grain of salt, however it seems that roos is first, second and third preference. Neil Craig probably rounds out the top 4.

• Like 1

Reported on seven news tonight that "Melbourne still remain committed to snaring Paul roos as coach next year, and have reportedly gone cold on Mark Williams."

It was seven news, and it was sandy Roberts. So taken with a grain of salt, however it seems that roos is first, second and third preference. Neil Craig probably rounds out the top 4.

Thank god.

• Like 1

Interesting, this fascination with premiership winning coaches. In the entire history of the AFL/VL only 8 coaches have coached another premiership at a second club; and a lot have tried!

I want a premiership coach not because it guarantees us a flag, but because a premiership coach will put us on the right track culturally.

• Like 6

i have gone cold on Williams too, to be honest.

Roos is clear first choice, and Craig is 2nd.

Not interested in Eade either.

• Like 1

Id happily have Roos, but like the idea of Williams. Im not raving mad about Eade ( just raving mad !! )

If Craig ups the ante then we cant really do too poorly.

The gods will sort this.

Id happily have Roos, but like the idea of Williams. Im not raving mad about Eade ( just raving mad !! )

If Craig ups the ante then we cant really do too poorly.

The gods will sort this.

I am the same b would be happy, very happy with Roos but if we miss out on him and MW then I would be leaning towards NC.

Don't think there's much diff between Eade and Craig

Edited by DemonOX

I want Roos because, when we are after players from other clubs,they will want to come and play under him.

Williams has a reputation as a bit of a looney.

So its Craig or Eade for my second preference.

The eight that have coached two sides to premierships are: Allan Jeans, Checker Hughes, David parkin, Jack Worral, Leigh Matthews, Mick Malthouse, Percy Bentley and Ron Barassi.

None have coached to a premiership at 3 clubs. Good luck Carlton.

• Like 2

If his hart not in coaching the MFC should not get Roos

Not a fan of Williams think I rather have Mark Neeld back, only joking.

Neil Craig is clearly the best choice for a Senior Coach, he here and knows the players and does not talk BS.

• Like 3

BB, you left out the punchline --- how did the nag run? Did your luck hold?