Josh Mahoney Football Manager

Mongrel Dee

I know this guy is ex Port Adelaide and played in a premiership but how much does anyone outside of the club know about him?

He is the current Football Manager and I have never heard him speak. Always see him as Neelds sidekick and he has a very low profile.

Should this position be held by a strong up front type character who looks and acts like he runs the footy dept? Interested to hear views.

I know this guy is ex Port Adelaide and played in a premiership but how much does anyone outside of the club know about him?

He is the current Football Manager and I have never heard him speak. Always see him as Neelds sidekick and he has a very low profile.

Should this position be held by a strong up front type character who looks and acts like he runs the footy dept? Interested to hear views.

PJ did make mention of Mark Neeld being an inexperienced coach - surrounded by a rather inexperienced football department.

Taking that into account, Josh might find himself in PJ's sights.

• Like 1

I thought he was Bailey's sidekick and Neeld had him shifted sideways away from being an assistant coach. Seem to remember a year or so ago when he was our forward coach someone here mentioned Mahoney was yelled at in the box for indecision and inaction when the forward line was falling apart during a game. Perhaps he had a bit to go on his contract and any skills he had could be better used in an organisational role rather than a coaching roll. Not sure - just a thought.

• Like 2

From what I understand he has business studies behind him and had tired of coaching, wanting to move into Football Admin. Interestingly I noted Jackson said he had been working closely with Mahoney with regards to the structure of the football department.

From what I understand he has business studies behind him and had tired of coaching, wanting to move into Football Admin. Interestingly I noted Jackson said he had been working closely with Mahoney with regards to the structure of the football department.

Thanks for the insight, I did not know that he had a business degree, etc...

I know sometimes too much these days can be read into having a degrees, etc... But having former and current educated blokes in Mahoney and Dawes, is a step in the right direction for the club.

Maybe Mahoney is a bit inexperienced as a football manager and needs to work under an experienced football manager.

Either way, I am not sure, I don't know the inner workings, but I noted that PJ thinks Neeld needs to have more experience around him - in regards to the football department.

I dont know too much about him to be honest, but when he was moved from being an assistant to the manager role i saw it as recognition that he's a great bloke and good to keep around the club, but not a coach .....

mark williams has stated he would go to war with this man at his side

his job is to work inside the footy club no in the PRESS

low profiles are needed to do this job , not fatheads

well respected by all who played with and against him

The reason we don't hear from Mahoney is all related to the structure of the football department.

He's really head administrative officer more than manager.

At the same time we have;
Viney - ? Development

Misson - Fitness

Craig - God knows

Harrington - List management

What Peter Jackson wants to do (From my understanding of his comments) is tie up the structure of the department and get one footy manager heading it up and actually managing all his troops effectively and working with Neeld. That means actually having someone across all the areas above so that when something happens at the club they are aware and can feed that up to the CEO.

It's the position where Essendon broke down in this drugs scandal and where Coll (Walsh), Geel (Balme), Haw (Evans) in particular have succeeded. It's funny how 2 of those are ex Melbourne people.

Now I don't know how good an operator Mahoney is. If he is up for it I say we promote him and get him taking a more active leadership and outspoken role. If not we go for a Rendell, Daniher, P. Schwab, Donald McDonald. No doubt our current football department results lean more towards a fresh recruitment than keeping someone from within.

Wont be football manager much longer

We will bring in a successful and experienced one

is this a rumour

who put us in a position to have 4 different people reporting to the ceo and not an overall fd manager like other clubs?

The reason we don't hear from Mahoney is all related to the structure of the football department.

Viney - ? Development

Misson - Fitness

Craig - God knows

What Peter Jackson wants to do (From my understanding of his comments) is tie up the structure of the department and get one footy manager heading it up and actually managing all his troops effectively and working with Neeld. That means actually having someone across all the areas above so that when something happens at the club they are aware and can feed that up to the CEO.

It's the position where Essendon broke down in this drugs scandal and where Coll (Walsh), Geel (Balme), Haw (Evans) in particular have succeeded. It's funny how 2 of those are ex Melbourne people.

Now I don't know how good an operator Mahoney is. If he is up for it I say we promote him and get him taking a more active leadership and outspoken role. If not we go for a Rendell, Daniher, P. Schwab, Donald McDonald. No doubt our current football department results lean more towards a fresh recruitment than keeping someone from within.

Just get and tried and tested experienced person into the job and one who will sort Neeld out.

Thanks for the insight, I did not know that he had a business degree, etc...

I know sometimes too much these days can be read into having a degrees, etc... But having former and current educated blokes in Mahoney and Dawes, is a step in the right direction for the club.

Maybe Mahoney is a bit inexperienced as a football manager and needs to work under an experienced football manager.

Either way, I am not sure, I don't know the inner workings, but I noted that PJ thinks Neeld needs to have more experience around him - in regards to the football department.

The normal negative [censored] posters will have a go at me, but had about half a dozen chats with Josh Mahoney, at training and at functions over the last year or so, said hello to him at Sandringham last Saturday, where he was watching along with Craig and Neeld

I found him to be very knowledgeable, still settling into the role, all that has happened in last 18 months has been a steep learning curve but he has been up to the challenge and still wants to be

Swooper is spot one with what he said, Josh thought "coaching would be different1 if i can paraphrase him, and wanted a change, he is well regarded but inexperienced as PJ has noted, I would be very surprised if he misses out in any restructure

Soldee and HH, if you don;t know any facts, try not to comment, it only makes you look silly

• Like 1

think your wrong SATY most posters enjoy your honesty and inside knowledge

keep up with the great work

i think most posters would love to see a honest speech about the future layout of the club more than anything

ps, will i get in trouble for thinking YOUR wrong?

According to Linkedin:

University of South Australia Masters, Business Administration

2007 – 2010

University of South Australia Masters, Marketing

2004 – 2007

La Trobe University Bachelor, Science (Nutrition)

1997 – 2001

The normal negative [censored] posters will have a go at me, but had about half a dozen chats with Josh Mahoney, at training and at functions over the last year or so, said hello to him at Sandringham last Saturday, where he was watching along with Craig and Neeld

I found him to be very knowledgeable, still settling into the role, all that has happened in last 18 months has been a steep learning curve but he has been up to the challenge and still wants to be

Swooper is spot one with what he said, Josh thought "coaching would be different1 if i can paraphrase him, and wanted a change, he is well regarded but inexperienced as PJ has noted, I would be very surprised if he misses out in any restructure

Soldee and HH, if you don;t know any facts, try not to comment, it only makes you look silly

The only facts I know is the scoreboard every week Sat! The football department is one big failure at the minute. That is an undisputable fact!

I think that we will end up with an AFL friendly Football Dept manager.Having said that I don't know what available candidates who would fit into that criteria?

The choice of candidate may reveal the path we are heading down in regards to how big a say the AFL are having in our revival!

The only facts I know is the scoreboard every week Sat! The football department is one big failure at the minute. That is an undisputable fact!

So you are saying our problem is the scoreboard and we need to hire an experienced person that will increase our numbers on the scoreboard, in particular under the letters G and T. Very insightful!

Viney - ? Development

Misson - Fitness

Craig - God knows

If we want to change, we need fresh air...

Balmey has been away long enough to be clean & learned.

So you are saying our problem is the scoreboard and we need to hire an experienced person that will increase our numbers on the scoreboard, in particular under the letters G and T. Very insightful!

Idiot comes to mind!