Peter Jackson CEO

dee-luded

Peter Jackson CEO  

173 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I'll say so far so good thus far. I didn't agree with keeping Neeld but I guess I don't know everything as I'm not an insider. Plus, it shows he won't be cowed by baying journalists or disgruntled supporters. I don't agree with the decision but I respect it.

Honestly, we have exactly what everyone has called for: an independent CEO with significant football experience, recommended by the AFL. He is now overseeing the club, reviewing the current situation (from inside, with first hand working knowledge over a period of months and hopefully years) and making recommendations for change. This is like haven't a complete business review, from the outside, but with those decisions then being guaranteed to be implemented, unlike previous reviews (Andrews Report?).

If anyone is not happy with this scenario, and is not prepared to wait and see what changes are made, then they need to have a good hard think about why not, because it is probably only because PJ is not making recommendations and changes that they want.

If we had of appointed another mate in this position, or asked an ex-player to come do a review, I'd understand hesitation. But this is the completely best scenario we could have.

I challenge anyone to name a better option (not a better person, I mean suggest a better way for doing things). The only alternatives I see are internal review (bad idea), keep going the way we are (horrible idea) or sack everyone and start again (which I think will be the slowest process, and potentially the most damaging).

Edited by deanox
  • Like 3

No faith in anything anymore except the promise of death one cold grey day.

What point is there?

It's all a vain struggle against the inevitable .

Hope this Stoic reality provides you all with some solace .

• Like 1

Supporters, members, and large financial backers are waiting anxiously to see where PJ takes the club. Of course it will take time, however communication is vital to maintain hope and get people to sign on again in 2014. At the moment communication is terrible and that must improve.

I personally know many members who are on a razors edge on renewing membership if Neeld is not replaced.

I have 100% faith in him.

His only real knock is that he extended Knights coaching contract, but Matty Knights has shown since his sacking - that he is no mug, the bloke can coach.

James Hird has a far better list at his disposal and his record is probably worse - granted though, I do think Essendon are improving and so they should, what is to say they wouldn't of under Knights?

As for Peter Jackson at our club, it's clear the AFL has sent him in to clean up this mess.

I don't know the inner working of our board, but there appear to be ethical issues and the tanking saga highlighted this.

I am far from a Mark Neeld fan, but I understand that sacking the coach isn't going to help us atm, it's a short term fix and we need to get our board right first and foremost.

A good coach will hopefully come in after our house is in order.

I'll say so far so good thus far. I didn't agree with keeping Neeld but I guess I don't know everything as I'm not an insider. Plus, it shows he won't be cowed by baying journalists or disgruntled supporters. I don't agree with the decision but I respect it.

I don't know that he's enacted any decisions Yet?

The most encouraging thing we have going for us (imo) is that we seem to have the AFL on board at the moment.In a perfect world this is not an ideal situation having 'Big Brother'watching you because they can't trust that you wont keep stuffing things up.

At this point, in the situation we currently see ourselves in, I see this as a good thing.I believe Peter Jackson(as others do) is an AFL appointment who will regularly be reporting back to the AFL on the state of affairs at Melbourne.

Football people unaligned to Melbourne's past will be able to look objectively at the best way for the club to move forward.The AFL will assist with Melbourne's rebuild because it is in the best interest of the competition to have a thriving and successful Melbourne Football Club.

I will be very interested in the Football Department head appointment.I think this may tell us something re AFL involvement. I have no idea who it might be?

• Like 1

His only real knock is that he extended Knights coaching contract, but Matty Knights has shown since his sacking - that he is no mug, the bloke can coach.

James Hird has a far better list at his disposal and his record is probably worse - granted though, I do think Essendon are improving and so they should, what is to say they wouldn't of under Knights?

As for Peter Jackson at our club, it's clear the AFL has sent him in to clean up this mess.

I don't know the inner working of our board, but there appear to be ethical issues and the tanking saga highlighted this.

I am far from a Mark Neeld fan, but I understand that sacking the coach isn't going to help us atm, it's a short term fix and we need to get our board right first and foremost.

Hird was given Bomber Thompson who is the brains behind the coaching. Knights was on a thrashing to nothing after Sheedy.

Knights may well be a decent coach.

• Like 1

I told Geoff Leek I liked Knights as a young Coach, a couple of months before they hired him. I was surprised when they hired him & annoyed when they shafted him.

the AFL game was changing at that point in time, from a running game to a defensive oriented more congested game. & not all gameplans & lists could adapt to the defensive strategies.

Peter Jackson didn't exactly finish at Essendon on rosy terms as their CEO. After the great season of 2000, he oversaw a turbulent time when salary cap issues and penalties resulted in the quick loss of Misiti, Heffernan, and others as well as Hardwick moving on.

I don't know that he's enacted any decisions Yet?

It sounds like some on the board were keen to fire him but PJ's intervention saved Neeld. I don't necessarily agree with keeping Neeld on but I respect the rationale behind it.

Peter Jackson didn't exactly finish at Essendon on rosy terms as their CEO. After the great season of 2000, he oversaw a turbulent time when salary cap issues and penalties resulted in the quick loss of Misiti, Heffernan, and others as well as Hardwick moving on.

Heffernan was no great loss.

Remember?

• Like 1

It sounds like some on the board were keen to fire him but PJ's intervention saved Neeld. I don't necessarily agree with keeping Neeld on but I respect the rationale behind it.

well we don't really know that.

maybe some other issues have been unearthed.

all we know is they're Is a lot of white noise about all the media... & that can be for all the wrong reasons to. lets face it, the journo's don't understand much. especially the ex players who can't or don't have the heart to be an assistant of an AFL club, preferrring the soft seats & finger food.

We have little or no choice but to trust in this man's judgement. If he gets it wrong we are RS. But his advice to give Neeld time is cause for some optimism i believe. I assume PJ has spoken to all stakeholders, assistant coaches, senior players, FD people to ascertain what is really going on. If he has discovered that everyone is working together as a team then why sack the coach unless you have a Paul Roos waiting in the room next door. If on the other hand if PJ had found that assistant coaches were critical of Neeld's methods or senior players were not on board, surely he would have advised immediate action to the board?

If everyone is now working together, however inefficiently, given CS's dysfunctional FD structure, you have to stick with it till year's end.

• Like 1

As long as The Bloated One sings sweet nothings about this guy we will fawn over him the way we have been.

I hope he deals with the crap he has seen but tries to return some confidence to the place next year.

I guess that starts with performances...

The guy needs time to get it right.

He put the whole club on notice yesterday i believe, but has given them time to improve.

That is ok by me. That can only gain respect internally

I think he's taken a month to get an outline of whats going on, & will no doubt take another month to get into the 'nitty gritty' of sus' areas.

lets hope all have been pulling in the same direction.

CBF, I thought your post #3 was the wisest post I've seen from an anti-Neeld person. You said " but I guess I don't know everything as I'm not an insider." I think we should take the same view on the above.

Namely, what actual evidence is there that some on the board were keen to fire MN but PJ saved him? Nor do we know the 'rationale behind it' to be able to agree, disagree or respect it. Almost everything we say should start with a gigantic IF X is true, then I agree/disagree/respect etc.