Dylan Shiel

No idea, but it needs to sway GWS as well.

We should be in his ear saying we want you know, if not we will happily trade for you next year.

or the year after. He signed a two year contract extension this year. I'd say go hard at Dom Tyson next year if he continues to develop, but the PSD is losing its appeal with player managers. So far GWS haven't remotely shown themselves to be realistic in what they expect in return for their players/picks and want the AFL tocontinue to allow them TPP room to 'encourage' success beyond the COLA. I get that they want to build a competitive list, but swings and roundabouts.

Edited by grazman

... but the PSD is losing its appeal with player managers...

The PSD used to be what kept everyone honest; players could end up anywhere (but could nominate contact terms so would get a massive pay rise) and clubs lose for nothing.

As a result it was in both player and clubs interest to trade suitably because of the risk to both parties.

However when the AFL decided players could go in the national draft not just the PSD, and when the AFL stopped threatening to punish people for draft tampering by saying "I want to play for x only" , the PSD lost all meaning. I'm not sure why they still have it.

Players don't use it, and clubs don't pick players up if they have said they won't come to them.

How high do people rate Sheil?

Would he be worth:

Pick 2 and 20 for Sheil and pick 35?

It is paying overs but if each year one of our top 3 picks became a gun, one became a good decent player and one a bust I'd be happy with that strike rate.

Will Sheil be a gun? If so that's a good deal if we think we can get a good serviceable player from our sylvia compensation pick at 21.

Also we pay overs a bit because we get someone with a couple of years development not a skinny draftee.

Would he be worth:

It is paying overs but if each year one of our top 3 picks became a gun, one became a good decent player and one a bust I'd be happy with that strike rate.

Will Sheil be a gun? If so that's a good deal if we think we can get a good serviceable player from our sylvia compensation pick at 21.

Also we pay overs a bit because we get someone with a couple of years development not a skinny draftee.

I think we'll be paying overs for a couple of years yet - we're just not a viable proposition atm.

• Like 3

I think we'll be paying overs for a couple of years yet - we're just not a viable proposition atm.

Yeah that's fair, but would you be happy with paying overs as I suggested above? I think it would be a win for GWS, they'd have to be silly not to take that, but is it more than we can afford?

Yeah that's fair, but would you be happy with paying overs as I suggested above? I think it would be a win for GWS, they'd have to be silly not to take that, but is it more than we can afford?

No, not really - I think we have to pay overs.

We'll have one more pick in the 20s and by all accounts, after Tom Boyd, it's midfielder heaven.

But, I don't think he wants to come, so all this talk may be purely academic.....

No, not really - I think we have to pay overs.

We'll have one more pick in the 20s and by all accounts, after Tom Boyd, it's midfielder heaven.

But, I don't think he wants to come, so all this talk may be purely academic.....

Yeah that's true re doesn't want to come but there are two ways to entice a trade, one is to offer overs to the player (cash) and have him choose us, the other is to offer overs to the club and have the club push him along.

If he is going home in two years regardless and they are going to get pick 12 from geelong, or they can trade him now for pick 2 and 20, which would they prefer?

They may back themselves to keep him, but they may also try to push him out.

Payment for players is a lot more when you are trying to buy them than when they are trying to leave. GWS may realise this and come to the party.

• Like 1

Would he be worth:

is he better now than young Crouch would be in 2 Yrs time?

Lets get Crouch now, it could end up being a 2 for one deal in 2 or 3 Yrs time.

& p20 ? another talent.

I can't go back to the transcript of what Ox said but he said something like he was very confident that we would be obtaining for our number 2 pick a guy at GWS numbered between 1 and 10.Then Mark Allen came back at him with "you mean between 6 and 7?" Then Shiel's name was mentioned. Only problem with that is I think he has number 5? Mark Allen may have just got his numbering wrong! I think it was on the run home on Wednesday.

As for all this talk about pick 21 or 22 for Sylvia compo, I just cannot see it! It will be more than likely around mid 30's (after our 3rd round pick) or at very best at end of 2nd round which would be early 30's.

I can't go back to the transcript of what Ox said but he said something like he was very confident that we would be obtaining for our number 2 pick a guy at GWS numbered between 1 and 10.Then Mark Allen came back at him with "you mean between 6 and 7?" Then Shiel's name was mentioned. Only problem with that is I think he has number 5? Mark Allen may have just got his numbering wrong! I think it was on the run home on Wednesday.

As for all this talk about pick 21 or 22 for Sylvia compo, I just cannot see it! It will be more than likely around mid 30's (after our 3rd round pick) or at very best at end of 2nd round which would be early 30's.

Yes he is number 5 (or was :ph34r: ).

Is it just me or is the Ox like a media sponge. They just throw him into the MFC and wring him out after.

Would he be worth:

The problem is GWS needs players, not more picks.

Would he be worth:

Yes, I think that is way overs. No way Dees would go for that. While there a few skinny draftees, Nathan Freeman isn't one of them

The problem is GWS needs players, not more picks.

That's a good point. But if they got pick 2 they could certainly on-trade that elsewhere for someone handy to suit their needs

Just like us eh?

I think we are expecting the world, they might not be as fussy!

If a 25 year old Buddy is worth a 9 year contract, surely someone like Shiel would be worth 5 or 6 I order to attract him to the club. Players like Shiel are in hot demand and we need to be doing something to differentiate ourselves from the big clubs like Carlton and Collingwood. I know it is a risk but the presidency has been set -

If a 25 year old Buddy is worth a 9 year contract, surely someone like Shiel would be worth 5 or 6 I order to attract him to the club. Players like Shiel are in hot demand and we need to be doing something to differentiate ourselves from the big clubs like Carlton and Collingwood. I know it is a risk but the presidency has been set -

I think the 9 year deal is possibly the most stupid thing I have witnessed as a footy observer.

I would't want to be following Sydney off the cliff with that one.

• Like 4