Changes v Freo

dees189227

Come on stuie who of Fyfe, Mundy etc are you presuming Blease attempts to tag and for how long will it last? He'll be completely stuffed at half time!!! Blease couldn't even get close to laying a tackle at Casey

Can't drop 3 mids for 3 flankers and even if you do why not Bail.

• Like 1

Come on stuie who of Fyfe, Mundy etc are you presuming Blease attempts to tag and for how long will it last? He'll be completely stuffed at half time!!! Blease couldn't even get close to laying a tackle at Casey

Bail was next in the gun, but I had Nicho and McKenzie in the gun before him. Toumpas injury might have saved Bail.

We're not going to beat Freo, so let's use the game to teach some younger players some work ethic, give Blease a run with role.

It's there. Go to his twitter and check under "all" tweets.

Consider it confirmed, let's stop going around in circles.

viney_zps7220fc44.jpg

Finally Stuie posts a useful image. Good job!

But on next week's game, surely Bail would have to be the first to get dropped. He has been in our worst handful for the past three weeks in a row!

• Like 1

Finally Stuie posts a useful image. Good job!

But on next week's game, surely Bail would have to be the first to get dropped. He has been in our worst handful for the past three weeks in a row!

Nicholson definitely first in line for mine, Bail a good chance to go, and was just really frustrated by Jordie's disposal. Would drop all 3 if possible... Maybe it will be?! Depends on injuries I guess.

Watts may not deserve a spot straight away but I think we have to play him.

Hopefully he gets played deep forward. He's had enough time in the backline and it isn't working anyway. He's a great kick for goal and lets face it, if he gets 6 or 8 kicks in the forward line, he'd probably kick 4 goals.

He'll have Dawes and the resting ruckman (Jamar or Gawn) for company so he could easily be used in a floating/decoy type situation. Jack's name did come up in the after match press conference, so he's a possible starter.

Byrnes and possibly Blease will push for selection. You can't have too many in your team with poor disposal skills so there a few likely candidates that could make way.

• Like 2

Neeld was asked if there was anyone coming back this week - all he mentioned was Watts. So is take that as an in. Assuming this:

In: Watts

Out: Toump (inj)

I know there are a few deserving to be dropped but Subi is open and they will want to play our runners.

• Like 1

It's not 3 mids. Nicholson was HB, Toumpas was HF.

It's not 3 mids. Nicholson was HB, Toumpas was HF.

Nicho was 7th defender today. Down to play more midfield than half back. Toumpas was probably due to play 50/50 wing forward.

It's still strong runners for not strong runners

Nicho was 7th defender today. Down to play more midfield than half back. Toumpas was probably due to play 50/50 wing forward.

It's still strong runners for not strong runners

It's FOOTBALL though, not preseason time trials. Let's get some footy players in there.

Nicho was ok today. Better than Jordie by far. However I think we need them both to play negating roles next week, so probably not a big chance of dropping either one. Freo have too many good mids to leave them out. Obviously we have to make at least one change to replace Toumpas (and he was looking ok as well before he did that ankle), and for mine we need speed. That would mean either Blease or Watts to come in. A case could be made for both, but I think Bail's endless run keeps him in the side out west where we will need it. As such, it looks very much like it will be minimal changes, with Toumpas out and either Blease or Watts in.

Toumpas, bail and jordie out

Blease, Kent and watts in

Let jetta go have a run in the middle for a tag,

Can tackle and hit the contests hard enough, and slightly better with footy than jords

Kent and blease in to rotate around wings and flanks, get a bit

More dash on transition

Watts outta the square, and opefully on the end of a few leass

Blease has done nothing for a recall.

Toumpas, bail and jordie out
Blease, Kent and watts in

Let jetta go have a run in the middle for a tag,
Can tackle and hit the contests hard enough, and slightly better with footy than jords

Kent and blease in to rotate around wings and flanks, get a bit
More dash on transition

Watts outta the square, and opefully on the end of a few leass

Blease has done nothing for a recall.

Not to mention the fact that he has no tank... on a ground the size of Patersons, he will be totally knackered by half time... maybe consider him as a sub?

If Watts is fit he would be in for me. Play him forward with Dawes. We must play as many of our better kicks as possible. Davey, Strauss, Watts, Dawes and Dunn are great with the footy in hand.

I think it is a perfect week to give Max a rest. He looked weary this week. When he relieved Jamar in the ruck Vickery was given free roam. Also he wasn't nearly as active up forward as he has been in previous weeks. I think the big ground out West could really expose him. Fitzy is more mobile and has been playing decent footy all year.

Blease could also come in to calculations. Would enjoy the space out at Subbi.

In: Watts, Blease, Fitzpatrick

Out: Toumpas, Gawn, Bail

• Like 1

A couple of points

Viney - I attended training on Thursday and Jack Viney completed the whole session, when the team selection chat was on the Club website that evening, comment from Andrew Nicol re Viney was "we found out late", methinks because Viney is Viney he was hiding the injury and playing through the pain, probably did a bit of damage hence he is now out longer than maybe he should be

All the calls for Kent and Blease to come back in, had about 5 disposals between them in last couple of games they played, what is wrong with rewarding the guys that made the effort at the weekend?

Disappointing that Neeld inferred in his press conference that Watts would play back if selected. He's a bloody forward Mark!!!

He can't win the ball under pressure or apply forward pressure so he doesn't suit the modern game as a forward. His kicking skills and height and speed make him a prototype half back flanker.

The question is which defender do you drop for him.

Frawley, Sellar, Dunn, Garland, Terlich, Strauss have been going ok.

Maybe with Freo's lack of tall forwards you drop Sellar. Who is showing something but at the same time or saved by Vickery's poor goal kicking. Alternatively Dunn or Terlich spend more time in the midfield?

With Sellar holding down one of the key defensive posts quite well, and Tom McDonald struggling with the play down back this year, I like the idea of playing Tom as a tall wingman.

We all know that he's one of the best runners at the club and was drafted as a forward.

With that in mind I'd like to see him be told to start on the wing, anyone that could run with him would most likely be shorter, if that's the case he could push forward late to create a miss-matched marking forward.

We also know that he can defend. Pressure on the oppositions kick into their attacking 50 has been an issue for us. Tom also has the runs on the board as a defender, so he'd be handy dropping back in the hole like McEvoy has been this year.

A straight swap of Nicholson or Bail would see McDonald on the wing.

What are people's thoughts on this?

• Like 1

With Sellar holding down one of the key defensive posts quite well, and Tom McDonald struggling with the play down back this year, I like the idea of playing Tom as a tall wingman.

We all know that he's one of the best runners at the club and was drafted as a forward.

With that in mind I'd like to see him be told to start on the wing, anyone that could run with him would most likely be shorter, if that's the case he could push forward late to create a miss-matched marking forward.

We also know that he can defend. Pressure on the oppositions kick into their attacking 50 has been an issue for us. Tom also has the runs on the board as a defender, so he'd be handy dropping back in the hole like McEvoy has been this year.

he certainly has the endurance.

Personally I wouldn't do it because I think we need a fit and firing McDonald back at CHB as our future so if fit I'd get him back to Casey and dominating his opponent whilst racking up plenty of touches and using the wisely.

That said I do understand your theory behind it. Although with Freo playing a heavy numbers to the contest brand of footy I'm not sure how well Tom will be able to impact contests and clearances.

We also have very little AFL ready players to bring in left in the VFL. So I see why you'd want McDonald in the team and trying rather than a Blease, Kent, Taggert who haven't put the run on the board for games.

For me Toumpas has to be replaced and Bail should be replaced because I think he's reached the stage where he even knows he isn't contributing and therefore isn't really trying to find the ball or do anything with it. When a player gets to that stage I think they are better in the VFL to get confidence back.

Depending on the outs i'd like to see Kent play this weekend even if it is as the sub. Give the lad a chacne to play infront of his home crowd. Same goes for Jetta

Watts in... please not down back!

Either through the middle/wing (on the outside replacing Toumpas) or better still down front where he can learn endeavour from Dawes. Dawes was seriously good at the presser and I have no doubt if Watts was near him he would learna lot and be told in no uncertain terms if he was not putting in the required effort . I can see dawes benefitting from Watts delivering the ball to him.

Bail out: with Super sub Blease (always does well as the sub).

Both Mac/McDonalds must be pushing for inclusion as well and i would move Dunn into a tag or alongside Dawes. (Both Strauss and Nicho did enough to survive ).

• Like 2