Fascinating analysis of Geelong's game

btdemon

Just read this article by David King. He makes a big call - that this is the biggest change in footy in the last 20 years. I don't know about that but it's very interesting and may influence the way we recruit.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/geelongs-revolutionary-game-plan-that-has-changed-the-face-of-football-forever/story-fndv7pj3-1226645548410

Hawthorn had a similar strategy several years ago - I remember watching them and it was clear they were happy to lose the centre clearance and win the ball across half back to set up their forward play when the opposition was then caught off guard.

Good news for us if intercept marks are going to be a key plank in future game plans Jack Watts will be an astute pick up in hindsight.

In all seriousness, my wife supports the Cats so I see most of their games and I am green with envy - they are just a joy to watch play. They play hard, accountable yet free-flowing footy and they will win the premiership again this year (barring serious injuries). They really do "play the game as it should be played" and it drives me crazy that I then attend matches to watch the MFC turn in performances like last Sunday. The contrast is so vast it's almost like watching a different sport. I look forward to the day I can turn up to Melbourne games and be happy to be going to the footy again rather than frustrated, angry and bored.

• Like 10

Hawthorn had a similar strategy several years ago - I remember watching them and it was clear they were happy to lose the centre clearance and win the ball across half back to set up their forward play when the opposition was then caught off guard.

Good news for us if intercept marks are going to be a key plank in future game plans Jack Watts will be an astute pick up in hindsight.

In all seriousness, my wife supports the Cats so I see most of their games and I am green with envy - they are just a joy to watch play. They play hard, accountable yet free-flowing footy and they will win the premiership again this year (barring serious injuries). They really do "play the game as it should be played" and it drives me crazy that I then attend matches to watch the MFC turn in performances like last Sunday. The contrast is so vast it's almost like watching a different sport. I look forward to the day I can turn up to Melbourne games and be happy to be going to the footy again rather than frustrated, angry and bored.

I agree, its the BOREDOM aspect thats doing my head in. Even if they're in the game its a horrible game to watch. Our game style is just awful. I find myself disinterested in the footy in general which is a first for me

I don't see any great epiphany here. Last year King's pronouncement was that winning was related inextricably to a clean sweep of Tackles, Contested Possessions and Inside 50s. Clearly that model wasn't fitting the Geelong numbers so the model required a 2013 re-vamp. I suppose he does reasonably well on the back of a bare pass in Year 11 Mathematical Methods.

I agree, its the BOREDOM aspect thats doing my head in. Even if they're in the game its a horrible game to watch. Our game style is just awful. I find myself disinterested in the footy in general which is a first for me

I can assure you though if we were winning regularly the boredom would quickly dissipate. My boredom comes mainly from being out of the game after 15 minutes and the players refusing to do simple things like run hard to create options, shepherd after giving off the ball, bombing long over our forwards heads instead of lowering their vision to kick in front of leading players etc rather than the game plan.

Me too, but I've been this way since around 2006... I didn't like our airy fairy play under danners, & then the AFL game went ultra defensive... Hated that... but then the AFL reduced the interchange by (1), & this has improved things a bit & changed the game to a bit more run.

Its a bit better, & my interested has come back about 20%.

A further reduction, with increased substitutes would be even better.

I agree the Cats gamestyle is great, as was the Lions back in the 2001 - 2004 Era.

Bomba would be more than useful.

Edited by dee-luded

What Scott is doing at Geelong is precisely what Bailey was trying to do at Melbourne - get players back, win the ball via turnover, hit them on the break. The difference is the cattle. The Cats have it, the Dees don't.

• Like 3

What Scott is doing at Geelong is precisely what Bailey was trying to do at Melbourne - get players back, win the ball via turnover, hit them on the break. The difference is the cattle. The Cats have it, the Dees don't.

The cats will play a man on man & win the hard ball... unlike their old days.

The cats will play a man on man & win the hard ball... unlike their old days.

I agree with that. When the Cats have to they close it down and grind it out, like in the 2009 and 2011 grand finals.

Same here Dr. My wife supports the Cats and I saw all bar one of their home games in 2011, and their finals - they were awesome to watch then, and they are better this year.

I agree with that. When the Cats have to they close it down and grind it out, like in the 2009 and 2011 grand finals.

I agree with you in general Tony, but I was at the 2011 grand final and Geelong were always going to win - it stood out all day.

Same here Dr. My wife supports the Cats and I saw all bar one of their home games in 2011, and their finals - they were awesome to watch then, and they are better this year.

Maybe some of the Lions, Matthews & Scott influence, added to Bomba's Cats.

Interesting commentary on Fox. They are claiming that whilst Geelong is one of the greatest teams, they are too 1 dimensional. Apply some pressure and disrupt their natural play and they will struggle to adapt, will fumble and turn it over. Interesting theory.

For me Stevie Johnston added that element of unpredictability, with him out, I can see how they can be viewed as predictable.

Throw in a quick Krakouer and Pendlebry and you can see the results.

Lets just hope Jimmy composes himself and they roll Collingwood this half

For what it's worth, the Cats are currently being beaten by a competent team employing the current Melbourne gameplan.

So MFC has a gameplan - pity no-one can work it out!

The strength of the Cats is that they don't panic - they stick to their basic approach - sometimes they lose, that's life!

Ask yourself who has been the most successful team in the last 6-7 years and what underlying game plan was used!

They are just bloody good, AND HAVE A LOT OF ON FIELD LEADERS. If one is a bit down (rare enough) others stand up.

For what it's worth, the Cats are currently being beaten by a competent team employing the current Melbourne gameplan.

...the gameplan is not the problem, but it may take a lot longer to learn to be proficient, than old fashioned footy.

the problem is its too much to learn, in a struggling outfit that is Too young & Inexperienced & without the confidence of regular senior players.

9 players under 50 games out there for the cats.

LEARN MFC....

... its not the 9 new discs that are a problem WYL, its the old High Quality experienced discs that link it all together, that make it work.

they make the chain strong.

137798870_06f39b3f20_z.jpg