Craig under scrutiny

olisik

I am reminded of the pre-season practice match at Casey, when the Scorpions played Port Melbourne. There were 9 MFC listed players in the Scorpions side. Understandably, the MFC players, which included Mitch Clark, Trenners, Blease et al, required match fitness. What I found strange was Neeld and Craig standing upstairs, while Misson called the rotations at boundary level. While I understand this may have been done with fitness in mind, I could not understand how this would not have been done in conjunction with the football people who are in charge. There was no communication between the 2 parties and I was standing right next to Misson at the time in question.

Misson is the fitness guy, if you go to training you will see him tell both Neeld and Craig how long a drill should run for, he is the 'expert' on this, this really pisses me off on this board, people ask for a professional approach and then complain when it happens

In the game, Misson and the Coaches would all know how many minutes each players should get, so unless an injury occurred no real reason to 'swap ideas'

• Like 2

Misson is the fitness guy, if you go to training you will see him tell both Neeld and Craig how long a drill should run for, he is the 'expert' on this, this really pisses me off on this board, people ask for a professional approach and then complain when it happens

In the game, Misson and the Coaches would all know how many minutes each players should get, so unless an injury occurred no real reason to 'swap ideas'

I think that is basically what I said. My only point is, the rotation decisions were not made in consultation with the coaches. I have no doubt Misson is pre-eminent in the world of fitness, but I am not sure about his footy smarts.

I think that is basically what I said. My only point is, the rotation decisions were not made in consultation with the coaches. I have no doubt Misson is pre-eminent in the world of fitness, but I am not sure about his footy smarts.

So, do you KNOW that there was no communication between the box and Missen - like maybe some sort of telecommunication, not a megaphone or semaphore flags? Perhaps it was all a preordained plan and were there to be changes to it - after all a practice match designed to improve match fitness and not a game for points (and being a Scorpions game it wouldnt be their call anyway).

What footy smarts?.....most teams have preordered rotations, how many times have you seen a goal kicker who is running hot taken off, only now and again will you see it over ruled....this was a practice game, Misson knew how many minutes each player required and how much time they should spend on the field in bursts.......he is getting his bit right, we have just been unlucky with Mitch Clark's foot........from what I could see at training yesterday, there were only 2 not outside Clark and Grimes....so I am all for Misson running this bit

• Like 1

So, do you KNOW that there was no communication between the box and Missen - like maybe some sort of telecommunication, not a megaphone or semaphore flags? Perhaps it was all a preordained plan and were there to be changes to it - after all a practice match designed to improve match fitness and not a game for points (and being a Scorpions game it wouldnt be their call anyway).

But it was Misson's call??? Go figure. All I am saying, the football department is clearly moribund and Jackson has basically said as much.

But it was Misson's call??? Go figure. All I am saying, the football department is clearly moribund and Jackson has basically said as much.

It's 2013 iva.

Do you really think the coach calls every interchange in a game these days?

This is unrelated to the drug issue, but I've never been particularly impressed with Neil Craig at our club. Whenever I see him, he just seems to be sitting quietly with his arms folded.

What's the deal with that?

would you rather him sit & knit?

his job is to observe.

I'm glad your not sure, otherwise we will still be unable to develop our players for the next 25 years as well... at least this way, we'll get the place ship shape & set up a fruitful future.

And why would that be Sat?

I would try reading your posts again, you are part of the very small select group of posters on here with a rain cloud permanently hovering over them

Try reading this, although you might not like it, it contains too many facts and makes sense, and it is posted on the Club website, although not authored by the Club

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2013-05-17/future-not-all-hell-for-the-demons

Under the current model Misson reports to the CEO and Craig.

Craig reports to the CEO and the Senior Coach.

It's hard to say whom the Doc thought he might need to report to from the flow chart.

The FD Governance structure is appalling but it does not exonerate Bates from saying nothing. If he was in doubt then he should have told them all.

As I mentioned a few weeks ago - Craig is big on sports science, so it is hard to believe he would not be au fait with all the various sports science issues at Melbourne.

Apparently he claims, along with others to have no awareness of what Bates was doing. It may well be true. If it is then its a terrible indictment of the FD structure.

Incredible because Schwab spent $80,000 on the Andrews Report 3-4 years ago which raised issues about FD structures. The report never saw the light of day. I would be surprised if it recommended what Schwab implemented post 2011.

no he hasn't

FWIW:

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2013-03-15/inside-the-world-of-afl-sport-science

'At both clubs (Pies and Dees), if any player wanted to move outside what the club recommended, they had to have it authorised by the sports science director and the doctor.'

Neil Craig - Director of Sports Performance
Dave Misson - Elite Performance Manager

Alex Sakadjian - Sports Science Co-ordinator and Rehabilitation Coach

It's 2013 iva.

Do you really think the coach calls every interchange in a game these days?

I don't think I ever said that. The point is, the head coach has oversight and he should do. I am talking about the lines of communication and report within the football department. That is what Jackson has identified as a significant problem.

The board is not happy with how the FD is being run?

I knew that.

No-one goes until we know what we are doing and whom we are moving on to.

Craig became in the gun when the Dank stuff turned up, same with Misson.

I don't think we can fix the FD until we know exactly what happened there. We simply canno restructure after firing Neeld (a most of you want soon) and then fire members of that restructure.

Get all the info, know what are going to do, and do it.

I don't think I ever said that. The point is, the head coach has oversight and he should do. I am talking about the lines of communication and report within the football department. That is what Jackson has identified as a significant problem.

no, communication for the fd towards ceo department was what he refered too

all is still meaningless about your reserves misson in charge of bench comment

he probably did have oversight and told the bench exactly what he expected out of every player

how many ways can we hang the coach out to dry

it must be so difficult to garner support

the fd has stated quite clearly and reiterated last night by all accounts <we are doing what was set out in our parameters>

we are quite happy the line weve taken will prove correct

interesting comment by a man on the edge of the cliff. it sounded like a clear mind to me

no, communication for the fd towards ceo department was what he refered too

all is still meaningless about your reserves misson in charge of bench comment

he probably did have oversight and told the bench exactly what he expected out of every player

how many ways can we hang the coach out to dry

it must be so difficult to garner support

the fd has stated quite clearly and reiterated last night by all accounts <we are doing what was set out in our parameters>

we are quite happy the line weve taken will prove correct

interesting comment by a man on the edge of the cliff. it sounded like a clear mind to me

If you want to engage in semantics, then so be it. My comment was based on one observation. I certainly do not intend to hang anybody out to dry based on that one observation. My opinion is predicated on a series of observations which in no way put Neeld in a good light. Like I said, you can wait if you want to, but the rest of the football world won't. As with any public forum, let's just agree to disagree.

Jackson didn't, you interpreted that way, the only thing moribund at the moment are some supporters thought processes

He did say that the FD would be restructured though 'Sat', so you can expect some new faces, an experienced head of the department and a change in the way they do their business.

I would try reading your posts again, you are part of the very small select group of posters on here with a rain cloud permanently hovering over them

Try reading this, although you might not like it, it contains too many facts and makes sense, and it is posted on the Club website, although not authored by the Club

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2013-05-17/future-not-all-hell-for-the-demons

Thankfully not everyone is "Pollyanna" and can see that there are real problems.... not just that we have a poor midfield.

but thanks for the link ....I'm happy to see that Frawley is still under contract for another year, he is an important part of our future.

If you want to engage in semantics, then so be it. My comment was based on one observation. I certainly do not intend to hang anybody out to dry based on that one observation. My opinion is predicated on a series of observations which in no way put Neeld in a good light. Like I said, you can wait if you want to, but the rest of the football world won't. As with any public forum, let's just agree to disagree.

saty is the one to argue semantics

i dont even know what it means, poor teachers in the otways and some students dont learn

its all cool i dont want to argue, your point about misson doing the bench without comms is just pure lack of football knowledge

but nice opion and respected by all

He did say that the FD would be restructured though 'Sat', so you can expect some new faces, an experienced head of the department and a change in the way they do their business.

Thankfully not everyone is "Pollyanna" and can see that there are real problems.... not just that we have a poor midfield.

but thanks for the link ....I'm happy to see that Frawley is still under contract for another year, he is an important part of our future.

Again, he didn't say that either, he was thinking out loud............. I can't see that there are real problems, I am not in the Club on a daily basis, are you?......you are basing your sight/opinion on hearsay/rumour/innuendo etc, what I can see is that the players performed very poorly last weekend and hopefully they will be better this weekend, personally I think unfortunately we have a group of players maybe half the team at any time that is severely lacking in confidence, Neeld and Co are trying to rebuild this confidence.....

I thought by your tone you had prevaricated rather than predicated