No use sacking Neeld

baysidedave

they are both silly statements so whats your point

Epiphany!!!!! The difference between Neeld's "silly" statement and Hinkley's is that Neeld read his from a prepared and written speech he delivered to the faithful at last years B&F. This was not some off the cuff, thinking out aloud comment.

We should certainly give Neeld the next month at the very least. If we can see some marked improvement or imagine even draw a win then he should see out the year and then only be replaced if one of Roos or possibly Worsfold became avaialble, otherwsie let Neeld have a crack at the final year of his rebuild.

If we cop more of the same over the next month then he needs to be replaced pronto and have Craig, Viney or Rawlings step in on an interim basis. As for 2014 onwards I believe we would need an experienced coach to help re-shape the culture and demand the respect of the players. Even if they only came in for say 3 years before handing over to someone else (ala Sheedy to Cameron), at least to begin to begin with so they can plant the seeds like Barassi did with us in the early 80's and with Sydney in the early 90's.

The only viable options for us in my opinion are:

Paul Roos - Turned around a Sydney side that was beggining to lag under Rocket. Premiership Coach

John Worsfold - Took a bottom 4 Eagles to the Prelim Finals the following year when most peopel thought they'd struggle. Premiership Coach.

Mark Williams - Premiership Coach at Port and has a track record of developing young players.

Leigh Matthews (short term) - To be used in the Barassi mould in reshaping the culture for a few years, would need some quality assistants around him.

John Northey (short term, yes that's right, Swooper!) - See above. Took us to 5 succesive finals which hadn't happened since Smith and hasn't happened since. Took Richmond to the finals once which has only happened twice in 30 years and laid the foundations as the first coach of Brisbane Lions, got them to a prelim also.

If we were to go down the path of someone like Matthews or Northey (short term) then you'd need to surround them with some quality assistants who they could hand over to within a few years once they'd laid the ground work. I'm talking about targetting the likes of Peter Sumich (forward coach), Leigh tudor (midfield coach) and Nathan Basset (backline coach). Obviously easier said then done, but as they say if you want to make money you need to spend money!

I admire your loyalty. Generally I hate early sacking of a coach.

But do yourself a favor and watch the highlights from Dees v Ess R11 in 2011. (the link is onthe post "when we were good) That's right! Less than 2 years ago.

Watch the extraordinary skills, both of a number of players still with us, and less satisfactorily, of those who are gone.Watch their enthusiasm for the game and incidentally, of the crowd.

THIS WAS THE LIST NEELD TOOK OVER!

it was not crap at all, it was young, promising, lacking in experience, but with great attacking flair. A couple of weeks before the match v Ess we beat the Crows by 96 points. The week after the Ess match we drew with the Pies. Later we beat Freo by 98 points.

One cannot think about all this without admitting that the list has deteriorated immensely. The few experienced players have been sidelined and down rated. 2 kids have had to act as captain, to their footballing detriment

This was the list Neeld took over. It was not a bad list at all, as all commentators at the end of 2010 commented.

I simply cannot nderstand how he can get away with the excuses. Not fit--BS! Lacking in character--rubbish. For whatever reason Neeld simply hasn't worked out. Stop the recriminations, but make the change now. There is not the slightest point in waiting.

• Like 6

Epiphany!!!!! The difference between Neeld's "silly" statement and Hinkley's is that Neeld read his from a prepared and written speech he delivered to the faithful at last years B&F. This was not some off the cuff, thinking out aloud comment.

see you there sunday

have a good weekend mate

btw, who will you support on sunday

the players?

the new ceo?

tigers?

mark neeld?

or the CLUB?

Edited by jazza

Neeld has now come out basically said what I think he has needed to say for sometime... and revealed, in my mind, some of the reasons he was appointed, and the objectives that were set for him.

Great article on the club site and very much worth a read by Neeld supporters and critics:

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2013-05-18/competitiveness-the-aim

In short the key message is. Everyone thought we should have rebuilt properly 2-3 years ago, and that HE was given a blueprint when he joined the club, to rebuild it. He then says that it takes 3-5 years to rebuild a club.

So in other words, he's doing what he was employed by the club to do....rebuild the team.

Look at Brisbane, that's what playing for your coach looks like

you look at us, we aren't AFL standard

I understand Brisbane are ahead of us in terms of development but the levels of effort and passion we are dishing up are nothing short of heartbreaking.

Rightly or wrongly that has to fall on the man in Charge.

Neeld has now come out basically said what I think he has needed to say for sometime... and revealed, in my mind, some of the reasons he was appointed, and the objectives that were set for him.

Great article on the club site and very much worth a read by Neeld supporters and critics:

In short the key message is. Everyone thought we should have rebuilt properly 2-3 years ago, and that HE was given a blueprint when he joined the club, to rebuild it. He then says that it takes 3-5 years to rebuild a club.

So in other words, he's doing what he was employed by the club to do....rebuild the team.

What a load of hogwash!

If he thinks destroying this side on the ground for the past 18 months he is kidding himself.

And if McLardy and co believe that MFC are 3 to 5 years from being competitive then they are kidding themselves that supporters and sponsors will buy it.

I cant believe the absurdity of it.

Hell Hinkley joined Port on a rebuild after sacking the coach and losing a number of senior players and i dont see them doing trotting this stuff.

• Like 2

Seems like Garry disagrees!

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport/afl

Garry should keep his nose out of it. Either stay out of it completely or come in and show some accountability.

He has to stop drifting in and out of the club as a 'messiah'.

Edited by Django

Neeld may as well see out the season and then make a decision. While i admire his determination and direction, i am not a big far of his game plan. that aside the players out there are just not putting in, we can talk about not having talent all we like, but that still does not change the fact that the players on the paddock are not putting in. Regardless of their reasons for discontent, they are all being paid well and paid professionals, right or wrong they need to put in and deliver the best THEY have to the best of their ability. Then we can truely judge whether it is the players, the coach, gameplan or combinations thereof.

Any wonder the players give up so easily when the coach has adopted such a pathetic defeatist attitude. Neeld is giving us excuses before that match is even played.

• Like 2

Bah humbug! There are players at the club before he arrived and have gone backwards. I don't care anymore what he says because his team continue to serve up utter rubbish to watch.

And if McLardy and co believe that MFC are 3 to 5 years from being competitive then they are kidding themselves that supporters and sponsors will buy it.

Agree totally RR.

If it takes another 3-5 years to be only COMPETITIVE we will lucky to be around.

Agree totally RR.

If it takes another 3-5 years to be only COMPETITIVE we will lucky to be around.

When will this club get it? Supporters have been sold lies for years. 3-5 years will kill off supporters and sponsors.

When will this club get it? Supporters have been sold lies for years. 3-5 years will kill off supporters and sponsors.

I truly believe Soidee that if we get the 2-3 mids to add to ours (Jones, Viney etc) and get confidence which will come from a newly appointed coach we can turn it around quickly and be dare I say it COMPETITVE and possibly WIN.

Garry should keep his nose out of it. Either stay out of it completely or come in and show some accountability.

He has to stop drifting in and out of the club as a 'messiah'.

Agree, Garry should butt out. I don't want his involvement again at all. He's had 2 goes at it already. You seriously want to give him a 3rd run at it?

He was heavily involved in the appointment of a 2nd untried coach and had the opportunity to recommend/go after/hold out for a more experienced one. Oh but that's right, he had to push things through pretty quickly in order to get back to his real profession, earning mega bucks in the media.

As pretty much everyone already knows, he was invited to do so by the Gardner led Board the 1st time around and then for a 2nd time (after the first attempt failed) by the present Board. The present board needs to go before the search and appointment of the next coach IMO. I have ZERO confidence in their ability to recognise a decent candidate from here (or Garry's, Lucifer forbid he should be asked to assist again!).

Any decent appointee (with half a brain) would also be shuddering at the thought of heading in their under this Board's scrutiny/mis-management and would be unlikely to give any serious consideration to joining under their watch anyway. Another reason to replace them ASAP. However, if there's no other decent ticket with substantial footy nous involved putting themselves out there to take over, we are stuffed. Everyone better start chanting and calling on Lucifer for assistance on this one...the thought of this present board continuing is IMO just as scary as Neeld staying on as head coach for any longer than needed!!

Craig in to take over as caretaker for the rest of the year. Neeld as Mid Field line coach if he still wants a gig.

Neeld is dead in the water, has completely lost the bulk of the playing group (with a few exceptions) and this player group/club gets ever closer to armageddon the longer he continues.

A big pat on the back to the Board, Garry, CS & CC for the mess we are now in. Well done fellas. You couldn't have done a better job at f#%king things up!

Edited by Rusty Nails
  • Like 1

Rhino Richards, on 18 May 2013 - 18:06, said:

What a load of hogwash!

If he thinks destroying this side on the ground for the past 18 months he is kidding himself.

Hell Hinkley joined Port on a rebuild after sacking the coach and losing a number of senior players and i dont see them doing trotting this stuff.

Rhino, while I totally agree with you about Neeld's abilities as a senior coach, I'm getting a bad feeling about it. This article to me reads like the start of a PR "angle" from the club, and even softening us up for the to keep Neeld on, despite his performance so far.

I know that Jackson is interviewing the players. This will be part of his process to add up the pro's & con's of keeping Neeld and sacking Neeld.

My guess is that if Neeld stays, and if GNF and others are correct, we risk losing:

* Sylvia, Frawley, Watts, and possibly fringe players such as Taggert and Jetta.

* A large number of members and supporters.

But if Neeld is sacked, we risk losing players who feel they owe their current position at the club to Neeld, which might include:

* The players that have been drafted in since he's been here - Clark, Dawes, Byrnes, Sellar, Gillies, Rodan.

* New recruits - Viney, Hogan, Toumpas, Terlich, M. Jones, Kent and others.

* Those who have come into the leadership group since he's been there - Grimes, Trengove, N. Jones, Garland, Jamar, McKenzie, and again Clark & Byrnes.

* Any of the FD staff who have come in since he's been there, especially any that he's hand-picked, which would cover at least Misson & Craig and perhaps some of the assistant coaches.

* The cost of paying out Neeld's contract, and the contracts of any others.

Now definitely not all of these people would be upset by Neeld leaving, and most of them are likely to stay. But you see what I mean - even if half a dozen players who see themselves as being better off with Neeld around than with him gone are unhappy about him going, it would have a disruptive effect on the group as a whole.

And any replacement coach would have to be of sufficient stature to have the backing of the whole playing group; it would have to be someone that the whole list could look forward to playing under. This might rule out some good (but not great) possibilities such as Eade & Ratten. And if the prospective new coach would prefer to bring in some of their own staff, it creates further problems.

I'm getting very concerned that when Jackson does the adding up, it may turn out to be much less trouble than to keep Neeld rather than sack him, if all we lose is Sylvia, Frawley & Watts. Unless they can pick up a coach from the very top of the tree (which virtually leaves only Roos or bust). In which case there's still the relevant costs.

And they may feel that they can manage the loss of members (and the loss of respect from the wider AFL community) by spinning it in the way outlined in this article, which is just dripping with PR syrup.

I can no longer just simply stand by and say nothing after reading the many comments from our Senior Coach this year, which indicate to me his total lack of understanding of the game (or is it he just wants to feed us all a load of spin!). Last year I was annoyed with the performance of the Club, but still showed my support by becoming a member for the first time and hoping 2013 would be a much better year (how could I have been so WRONG!).

After reading the current comments from our Senior Coach I wanted to make some comments and ask a few questions of my own.

1. "We've got a real clear understanding of where we're at and we've got a really clear vision of where we want to get to and how we're going to get there."

Does this mean it was a deliberate approach by the Board and Coaches to assemble an uncompetitive team in 2012 and beyond? Did the Board and Coaches really plan to have the Melbourne FC consistently achieve substandard performances?

There was a comment from the Senior Coach that he was surprised by the 148 point loss to Essendon as we training and played so well in the preseason comp (Does any club take the preseason seriously besides US!).

2. "There's no short term fix, it's a long term fix. We're doing exactly what everyone said the football club needed to do two to three years ago,"

Agree with the first part of this comment as it will take Melbourne FC Ten to Twenty Years to be in a position to challenge for its 13th flag again. When a team accepts LOSING it because a cultural Virus to any club which takes years to be cleansed. Who was saying two or three years ago that Melbourne FC needed to build a totally inexperienced and uncompetitive team who should get totally smashed and humiliated every week? Where they Collingwood Supporters by any chance!

Can someone please answer these questions for me! As it’s looking very much like I will be voting for urgent significant change at all levels of management of our great club when I next get the chance.

Melbourne FC Forever!

• Like 1

And that is why the Board or whoever decided on this strategy GOT IT WRONG!. The market place is too competitive and cutthroat to go back to scratch and start again. If it was Scwhabs plan then he has gone and Neeld will follow. The new coach will try and work with what he has and shore things up but MFC will cease to exist if we start again. For the record I don't think Neeld has any idea how to rebuild his greatest asset is his ability to talk the talk. I am yet to see him walk the walk