Port Melbourne v Casey

Looking forward to Dawes getting some form, and bringing it to the seniors next week.

I would be really interested to hear Dawes views on our list. Particularly who in his opinion may be our guns coming through. He is a smart operator and will know talent from his days at the pies.

Viney, Toumpas and Hogan are givens. I want to know about the others.

• Like 1

Anyone have any thoughts on Stark or Clisby. It looks like Clisby has good size for his age. I have always seen rookies as the offcuts or looking for a needle in a haystack. I never really give much thought to rookies, so any thoughts? I know Stark was taken pretty high in the rookie draft. Anyone think these guys have a good shot at making our 22 in the future?

It would be intresting to know the percentage of rookies that end up playing 50-100 AFL games.

If he is, he'd be pushing for senior selection, thought he was pretty good last week

No way - we can't keep throwing our young draftees into the deep end. Hasn't he only played like 5 at VFL so far (since drafted). I think he needs to string some good games together first, we should not elevate players from VFL unless their form is very good and consistent. No need to rush him - for once lets just get it right.

Edited by Young Dee
  • Like 1

No way - we can't keep throwing our young draftees into the deep end. Hasn't he only played like 5 at VFL so far (since drafted). I think he needs to string some good games together first, we should not elevate players from VFL unless their form is very good and consistent. No need to rush him - for once lets just get it right.

I think it should be dependent upon who we're playing. I also don't think one strategy fits all. Some players can step up readily and others, like your Watt's need more time. 5 years in his case.

• Like 1

FFS, we'll be playing the Suns, would have thought it would be one of the best 2 teams to give a young player his first game....

Anyone have any thoughts on Stark or Clisby. It looks like Clisby has good size for his age. I have always seen rookies as the offcuts or looking for a needle in a haystack. I never really give much thought to rookies, so any thoughts? I know Stark was taken pretty high in the rookie draft. Anyone think these guys have a good shot at making our 22 in the future?

It would be intresting to know the percentage of rookies that end up playing 50-100 AFL games.

Clisby is a mature age rookie, but has speed and can kick, just lightly built, looks ok at VFL Level, went ok in the SANFL, you can find some clips, reckon they will look at what 12 months does for him, probably needs a full pre season

Stark is very young, spoken to him a couple of times, no need for a visit to Coles for the bag of confidence for him, will be a very good outside mid to begin with, there is no rush with him, again think they want to look at him in 12 months for progress, actually scouted by Neeld himself.

Just a word on another of the young blokes, Tynan, picked up a lot of injuries, so they are rebuilding him, hence the Development squad, he is not phased, knows what the plan for him is, he was BOG last week, so confidence being built as well

Taggert is on the way back from serious injury, originally slated for Development squad like Tynan, but impressed, wouldn't mind a glimpse in second half of season if still playing well

Going to Port tomorrow to watch anyway

• Like 3

I would be really interested to hear Dawes views on our list. Particularly who in his opinion may be our guns coming through. He is a smart operator and will know talent from his days at the pies.

Viney, Toumpas and Hogan are givens. I want to know about the others.

How is Toumpas is a given?

Because he was pick 4?

How is Toumpas is a given?

Because he was pick 4?

I think he will be but you are right, he has nothing to suggest he is a given just yet.

Having said that Viney has only played what 3 games and Hogan none so there is a long road ahead for them as well. Nothing is a given.

Will be heading down to port oval tomorrow. Let's hope all the asbestos removal that has been going on down there is properly finished.

Has there ever been a player on our list that has relatively escaped scrutiny as Troy Davis has? This is his third year on our senior list and he had never looked like getting a senior game.

Matt Fieldsend to play his first game against his old side, let's hope he doesn't do a Moloney and run riot against us!

Sorry but got to jump into the ring on this,

Re Davis ( And for that matter J.Tynan and R.Taggert) who we have been running around in the VFL seconds recently ??- Good coaching development work guys - even if just a little slow)- We simply don't know what they have got, but what we do know is playing the others ahead of them has got us nowhere! Its almost like a repeat of the Danniher playing the favourite sons era. Cost us big time.

We seem to be prepared to hide these blokes , over protect them and menwhile one O.Wines at 18 has played every game for Port Adelaide this year. How does this work?

Re Davis for some of the defeatists on here .

Oh he cant kick it to well apparently. Mind you gets it a lot ( more than most of our other scrubbers can do) plays on blokes 10cm bigger and does well , gets SFA acknowledgement from his own supporters other than put down remarks from the haters , is 193 or 194 cm runs pretty quick for bloke this size , looks like he has a bit of s..t in him. For my money is still a young lad , has done very little wrong and so far, makes Pederson and Gillies look totally pedestrian. No I'm not a relation just someone who likes the way he goes about things and hopes he gets a fair go.

End of Rant!

Will be heading down to port oval tomorrow. Let's hope all the asbestos removal that has been going on down there is properly finished.
Has there ever been a player on our list that has relatively escaped scrutiny as Troy Davis has? This is his third year on our senior list and he had never looked like getting a senior game.
Matt Fieldsend to play his first game against his old side, let's hope he doesn't do a Moloney and run riot against us!

• Like 3

Sorry but got to jump into the ring on this,

Re Davis ( And for that matter J.Tynan and R.Taggert) who we have been running around in the VFL seconds recently ??- Good coaching development work guys - even if just a little slow)- We simply don't know what they have got, but what we do know is playing the others ahead of them has got us nowhere! Its almost like a repeat of the Danniher playing the favourite sons era. Cost us big time.

We seem to be prepared to hide these blokes , over protect them and menwhile one O.Wines at 18 has played every game for Port Adelaide this year. How does this work?

Re Davis for some of the defeatists on here .

Oh he cant kick it to well apparently. Mind you gets it a lot ( more than most of our other scrubbers can do) plays on blokes 10cm bigger and does well , gets SFA acknowledgement from his own supporters other than put down remarks from the haters , is 193 or 194 cm runs pretty quick for bloke this size , looks like he has a bit of s..t in him. For my money is still a young lad , has done very little wrong and so far, makes Pederson and Gillies look totally pedestrian. No I'm not a relation just someone who likes the way he goes about things and hopes he gets a fair go.

End of Rant!

Not a bad summation, I think they just don't know what to do with him. He certainly gives it a red hot go from what I've seen, a bit like a bloke who plays with GC these days who also copped a bit from his own supporters and coaching staff.

Last year in the NAB he got towled up against the Hawks, think it was Hale (like Tommy Mc last week) and that seems to have marked his cards. Would like to see him play, he has deserved a place over the last couple of years on performance at Casey and been a bit stiff to miss. Couldn't do any worse than Gillies or Pederson.

I see Davis as similar to Gilles but with possibly more upside/potential. Wish we did not waste a spot on the list with Gilles and Rodan. Could have kept Moloney and Gysberts. Neeld says he was going for maturity and experience well Gilles just isn't it. The players can't look up to players that drift in and out of the team. Gilles seems to be in Davis' way - either Davis is worth persisting with or not.

How tall is Hale? How long has he been around? Wasn't Hale an "A grade objective of ours" that we were too limp to secure? If young Davis's cards are marked on the basis of his performance against this bloke whilst still in his teens, I reckon the footy dept have put their you know what on the block and have NFI.

If you watched Casey for the last half of 2012 you would realise this kid did ok.

Not a bad summation, I think they just don't know what to do with him. He certainly gives it a red hot go from what I've seen, a bit like a bloke who plays with GC these days who also copped a bit from his own supporters and coaching staff.

Last year in the NAB he got towled up against the Hawks, think it was Hale (like Tommy Mc last week) and that seems to have marked his cards. Would like to see him play, he has deserved a place over the last couple of years on performance at Casey and been a bit stiff to miss. Couldn't do any worse than Gillies or Pederson.

Disagree with Davis. There were a few (myself included) last year who questioned his retainment on the senior list but most were willing to keep him. He's put runs of decent VFL form together before and got close to games as an emergency. Last year was his second year so the equivalent players are Tynan and Taggert. Taggert is building VFL form and not getting negative press on here. Tynan is a bit off seemingly struggle to adjust his game with increased size he put on and he's copping plenty of heat. The problem with Davis is he has positive attributes but they aren't ones that coincide with being in the AFL team due to his negative attributes.

Positive - Finds the footy - when played up the ground at Casey he can regularly get 20+ touches

- Runs with the ball

- Strong

Negatives - Kicking

- Defensive work still needs improving

- Don't think the fitness is there, remember he had a thyroid condition at one stage

We play him now and he looks like Gillies and gets belted. We fix his kicking we have a player. We continue to build his defending as his body improves and gets stronger and fitter and we have a player. I'd say really he just needs to show he's a better prospect than Gillies and he's on the list for next year and heading towards being able to compete at AFL level.

Because he would have been scooped up by any of the top 8 teams if they had the chance. Stand by he will be ok.

I am not saying he won't be ok, but how is he a given?

By your logic, Lachie Plowman would also be a given, GWS dropped him this week and nothing so far suggest he will be a star either.

Toumpas COULD turn out a star, but to this point, he can't buy a kick to save himself, so I will judge him on his out put - not his draft order.

• Like 1