Brent Moloney

Theo

I wouldn't know what the club or Neelds reasoning was but from my viewpoint he struggled with a tag, often bombed the ball forward instead of looking for what the best option was, tried to break tackles when there was a better option (usually a teammate) rarely if ever used his body to clear space for a teammate, and only tackled when someone was in his space. I thought he was a selfish player and in the long run the right move was made.

As for the Collingwood game the other night Swan and Pendles were on and Beam struggled. Black showed how it should be done but I guess that's a bit unfair as he is a champion although a bit of revisionist thinking has Moloney up the rungs a bit further than he really is. He's been ok this year I will give him that, but the same bad habits come back to bite his team on the bum.

Totally agree with this sentiment. if Brent did sook as some suggest then its pretty ordinary. But all I was saying (rather forcefully I will admit because I had a baby screaming in my ear and a wife berating me for not washing the dishes) is that in the future we might hear more about what happened when Neeld arrived at the club.

Not in any way saying Neeld is responsible for our terrible recruiting record, terrible development and other of our many ills.

Long time between posts for me but I do read the page regularly.

Despite all of his character flaws Moloney bleed for the read and blue, performed well often comparative to our current list.

After priding himself as being a leader within the club he was ousted by the coach effectively meaning I dont give a rats ass about what you have done for this club.

Some call this as a good call, but surely a player than has played over 100 games for the club as in and under player, constantly fighting of tags needs to be shown some respect.

Respect is a 2 way street and Neeld came in and gave no respect to any of the senior players, hence the fractions.

Despite how poor their leadership might have been they always acted in the best interests of the MFC.

Within a year under Neeld he was essentially told the game had become too quick for him giving reasons like quicker stoppages e.g. ball up times is affecting Moloney at bounces. An example of confidence destruction under Neeld which a lot of our list are dealing with.........................

I have infact been a major supporter of Neeld in the past and Ive doggedly criticised some who suggested that he had lost the players.

But I think about it this way as well - if Moloney's defensive efforts were so bad and if he wasn't working hard enough to make it, then how do you explain the effort the club put up against Gold Coast and Essendon. Sure Moloney has been criticised for being selfish and a bang it long type, but he was still an inside mid and he still drew a tag which freed up Nathan Jones. Losing Moloney doesn't seem to have made any massive changes in relation to effort at the club if our results this year tell the story.

And remember Brent's comments were echoed by Rivers recently - didn't feel respected - didn't buy in. Brad Green on leaving had to remind the players to 'buy in'.

Moloney did more for the club than Neeld has so far perhaps? I guess time will tell on that count.

But if you seek out people with close relations to the club what I tend to find is vastly differing views about what has gone wrong down there in the past and recently, and ofcourse opinion doesn't equate to fact but its worth passing on just to perhaps inform opinions.

Edited by Norm Smith's Curse

Long time between posts for me but I do read the page regularly.

Despite all of his character flaws Moloney bleed for the read and blue, performed well often comparative to our current list.

After priding himself as being a leader within the club he was ousted by the coach effectively meaning I dont give a rats ass about what you have done for this club.

Some call this as a good call, but surely a player than has played over 100 games for the club as in and under player, constantly fighting of tags needs to be shown some respect.

Respect is a 2 way street and Neeld came in and gave no respect to any of the senior players, hence the fractions.

Despite how poor their leadership might have been they always acted in the best interests of the MFC.

Within a year under Neeld he was essentially told the game had become too quick for him giving reasons like quicker stoppages e.g. ball up times is affecting Moloney at bounces. An example of confidence destruction under Neeld which a lot of our list are dealing with.........................

Respect you getting back into posting, need more reasonable people back on here. DL is turning to shiat. On your topic, Moloney like Shane Warne was always a great leader.. Loud voice and clearly a good motivator. Sadly for both of them just because they thought they were good leaders didn't mean they deserved the top job. Warney was the smartest cricketer to ever live and his brain far exceeded that of Steve Waugh's but his actions didn't match the requirements of a leader. 10 years later he was given captaincy of the Melbourne Stars and this year as captain threw a ball at Samuels showing he still doesn't get what actually is the role of a captain. You can't be THAT guy.

Moloney is similar. The year we were planning in changing captains after Green had been poor he was embroiled in a urinating on the wall incident. Sure not murder but as the head of a football club it's simply an unacceptable act. I'm not sure if you've heard this story but Gary ablett owns a 2 story house in the GC. In his first year he gave the young players his number and said if you get too [censored] call me I'll pick you up and we can finish the night with a few chilled ones at mine.. That way you won't do anything stupid. His bottom level was a pad for the boys to go back and chill out together instead of going home at 4am after fights. Supposedly it became a tradition and this off season the players enjoyed going back to Gazzas sitting round playing pool more than the going out. That there is leadership.

The two Jacks may not be as vocal or even bleed red and blue like Brent but they're are light years ahead in modern day leadership skills.

Edited by Demon Land 7
  • Like 4

What I'd be interested to learn is whether Nathan Jones prefers the current situation to having Beamer around helping out at stoppages and through the rotations.

• Like 1

What I'd be interested to learn is whether Nathan Jones prefers the current situation to having Beamer around helping out at stoppages and through the rotations.

He helped out at stoppages by standing around pointing and telling teammates what to do.

I used to get very frustrated a few years ago watching Beamer and Jones constantly trying to barge through packs with the ball only to get tackled and correctly pinged by the umps. Beamer was the 'senior' player, Jones the young pupil, so to speak. Fast forward to 2013... Beamer gone and I don't see Jones doing this much anymore, but notice Its still part of Beamer's repertoire.

Don't miss him anymore.

Did we use the compo pick on Matt Jones or Dean Turlich? Not sure, but if so, I'm happy with that call.

• Like 2

Bump....

Apologies this is a thread from a while ago.. My point remains.

To all who thought Moloney leaving, and was playing so well for Brisbane.. Last Friday night was the perfect reminder for me of why we let Brent go. Actually cheered up my weekend. For all the Neeld bashing going on, and I am currently very much in the pro-leaving side.. It proved to me he made the right hard decision on this one. Nothing more than a front runner and subbed out at half time after copping half a tag was just hilarious.

Well done Mark, you've done something right.

sorry that you thought that about Brent... I always wanted his hardness at the club to lead the way out of our soft bruise free footy style, But not being close the the inner sanctum, I wasn't aware of the lack of being a good role model.

... so we had leaders who were soft & the hard ones were maybe irresponsible?

after last Year, I no longer have any issue with beamer leaving,,, & especially the other young ones, like morton & bennell also going, & I say good riddance.

apart from Rivers, who new apparently that we were still on a youth oriented development,, & he wouldn't be in the side when Finals beckoned, he took the option for finals at the Cats. understandable.

... so really I have no grievance with grabbing Toumpas, Viney, (hogan + barry), Dawse, MJones, Kent, Terlich, Byrnes, Rodan, etc + clisby & stark...

I think we've done well apart from the injuries to our key players, which have hurt our plans.

Edited by dee-luded

Are we still squabbling over this?

I hope Moloney can come back to the club at some point - he spent 8 years here, and will be remembered a Demon but let's not forget what we are arguing about here.

St Kilda lose Goddard - that is worth this level of angst.

We lose Brent Moloney - and as Rhino said a few weeks ago it turned our D grade midfield into an E grade midfield.

What does it matter when you have to compete with B or A grade midfields everwhere else (save for expansion teams)?

Our major issue is that we don't have emerging midfielders to take the load off of Nathan Jones.

As I didn't when TJ was traded - I am not going to lose my nut over a 29 B-grade midfielder moving on, or being moved on.

I

Respect you getting back into posting, need more reasonable people back on here. DL is turning to shiat. On your topic, Moloney like Shane Warne was always a great leader.. Loud voice and clearly a good motivator. Sadly for both of them just because they thought they were good leaders didn't mean they deserved the top job. Warney was the smartest cricketer to ever live and his brain far exceeded that of Steve Waugh's but his actions didn't match the requirements of a leader. 10 years later he was given captaincy of the Melbourne Stars and this year as captain threw a ball at Samuels showing he still doesn't get what actually is the role of a captain. You can't be THAT guy.

Moloney is similar. The year we were planning in changing captains after Green had been poor he was embroiled in a urinating on the wall incident. Sure not murder but as the head of a football club it's simply an unacceptable act. I'm not sure if you've heard this story but Gary ablett owns a 2 story house in the GC. In his first year he gave the young players his number and said if you get too [censored] call me I'll pick you up and we can finish the night with a few chilled ones at mine.. That way you won't do anything stupid. His bottom level was a pad for the boys to go back and chill out together instead of going home at 4am after fights. Supposedly it became a tradition and this off season the players enjoyed going back to Gazzas sitting round playing pool more than the going out. That there is leadership.

The two Jacks may not be as vocal or even bleed red and blue like Brent but they're are light years ahead in modern day leadership skills.

Thanks for the support! The amount of time I spend on here I should post more often. Yes he did have the urinating incident but dont forget he was reinstated as VC mid season. He won the players and Bailey`s coaching panels respect back. I agree he shouldn`t of been made captain, but not being including in an 8 or 9 people leadership group after being VC not many people could deal with. Neeld puts this down to a vote, but can anyone really drop from VC to nothing if the majority of the same players are on the list.

I do like your observation of Gary Ablett but unfortuantely we don`t have a player with that class or leadership skills on our list. The two Jacks might be polished with media roles and outside the game, but if they don`t conribute enough on the field I can`t see how they gain as much respect compared to other AFL Captains.

Last year I sat infront of a couple of dees fans in the members, who were calling for Moloney to be traded.. The same fans were screaming like school girls over a Viney handball. My opinion is that had Neeld embraced and spoke to the senior group instead of putting them all on notice after a season consisting of 8 wins (something he still hasn't accomplished in a year and a half) We would still have Moloney and Rivers and some exp heads able to guide the likes of viney and Tmac on the field..

Moloney was a gun, and when Neeld [censored] in his face and made a kid who hasn't played more games than Moloney has had Brownlow votes as if you wouldn't buy in. It was a lack of respect to senior players, had it been local footy it would of been a mass exodus mid year!

If Melbourne were a smart club, they'd still have Bruce, Moloney, Junior McDonald, still leading the way.. But like always no respect is shown to senior players..

• Like 2

Last year I sat infront of a couple of dees fans in the members, who were calling for Moloney to be traded.. The same fans were screaming like school girls over a Viney handball. My opinion is that had Neeld embraced and spoke to the senior group instead of putting them all on notice after a season consisting of 8 wins (something he still hasn't accomplished in a year and a half) We would still have Moloney and Rivers and some exp heads able to guide the likes of viney and Tmac on the field..

Moloney was a gun, and when Neeld [censored] in his face and made a kid who hasn't played more games than Moloney has had Brownlow votes as if you wouldn't buy in. It was a lack of respect to senior players, had it been local footy it would of been a mass exodus mid year!

If Melbourne were a smart club, they'd still have Bruce, Moloney, Junior McDonald, still leading the way.. But like always no respect is shown to senior players..

Surely PH you are joking All were past it when they moved on

Bruce at Hawthorn still was hospital handpass king Maloney points and yells at fellow teammates at Brisbane Junior was just too old Maybe we should have given him an assistant development role at melbourne He is the only one I miss!

• Like 3

You are kidding i hope.

How bout those senior players took it on themselves to improve.

Against top sides Bruce & Moloney did nothing in their final years.

They had peaked at a reasnoable level.

Moloney sulked & people still wanted him captain. He was a major cog in the reason the side never progressed past mediocre. Played only on his terms. Not the team

Edited by why you little
  • Like 4

Sigh. Are we going to bump this thread every time he has a good game or a poor game?

No ... but this week he has no game (out because of an injured back). With Kyle Cheney out of the Hawthorn team omitted, I think there's only three ex-Demons playing at AFL level ATM and all three are midfielders which is a commodity we're desperately lacking.