AFL "Smart" TV - says I'm not in Australia WTF??

Hatchman

So now we can apparently watch replays on the AFL's smart TV link as opposed to Bigpond TV

Problem is every time I click on the Demons Giants link it says I'm not accessing it from Australia???

Has anyone got a direct link to get around their crappy site?

• Like 1

Never mind I got it thanks to some Filth fan complaining about the same thing

For the nerds

Here is the link that the web site gives you

http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-replay/?ound=CD_R201301404&match=CD_M20130140407&eventType=Goal&seek=6032&videoQuality=high

Here is the one that works:

http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-replay/?round=CD_R201301404&matchId=CD_M20130140407

Note the differences? Bloody amateur hour, lets hope the $500K donation we have to give them will buy them some people who can actually write and test software properly

Edited by Hatchman
  • Like 7

For the nerds

http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-replay/?round=CD_R201301404&match=CD_M20130140407

http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-replay/?round=CD_R201301404&matchId=CD_M20130140407

Note the differences? Bloody amateur hour, lets hope the $500K donation we have to give them will buy them some people who can actually write and test software properly

Same problem when i went to the second link (you're not in Australia). Had this issues last week but eventually the replay loaded. However screen was cropped and inside a stupid red box meaning you can't get a full screen. The first two games were available on Big Pond TV and there was no cropping but that seems to have disappeared.

What was wrong with the links on the AFL site/ ie free replays with no stupid box and easy to find. They still have videos there but only highlights and uselessly replays of NAB cup games.

Thanks mate - I have the same issue but neither link works (still say I am overseas) - only wanted to watch the 4th quarter!

I did think of an idea though when that did appear - you can buy season passes for people outside Australia ($120) and it enables you to watch all AFL games live.

It seems to be the same as the mobile AFL app pass BUT you can watch the games on a desktop! (I might try a $14 weekly pass) and see if I can watch the games on my computer - it might think I am overseas!

Watching games on the desktop/laptop would be much better than the small phone

Edited by Young Dee

Interesting forum I found on watching AFL games live on computer:

http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/1411796

It seems some have been able to use the overseas AFL season pass to watch games live even though they are not overseas.

Although I warn it does seem a little technical but one can get all games live on computer it would be worth it. Watching games on the small phone screen with poor resolution is unbearable.

Anyone tried this?

Edited by Young Dee

For the nerds

http://www.afl.com.au/video/smart-replay/?ound=CD_R201301404&match=CD_M20130140407&eventType=Goal&seek=6032&videoQuality=high

thanks so much for that!

I had this problem, but I went directly to the match centre page and clicked on the Full Replay and that seemed to work.

http://www.afl.com.au/match-centre/2013/4/melb-v-gws

Yep this is what i had to do.

I first went to the video section of www.afl.com.au and clicked on 'smart replay' and it stated i was out of the country. Clicked on match centre for dees v gws game and in the centre it has the 'watch replay' button, should work fine after that.

you can buy season passes for people outside Australia ($120) and it enables you to watch all AFL games live.

It seems to be the same as the mobile AFL app pass BUT you can watch the games on a desktop! (I might try a $14 weekly pass) and see if I can watch the games on my computer - it might think I am overseas!

Unless you go through a Proxy Server, it (http://afltv.afl.com.au) will see you're in Oz and block your access. I don't believe you can even take out a subscription from Oz. I'm OS, so it works fine for me, but when I was back in Melbourne last year for a few weeks, it wouldn't let me even access my account, yet alone watch anything.

If anyone does get it to work, image quality is often very good, but sound is a nightmare for the moment, as they're not using the same audio feed as the TV feed.

Hmm I can't jump to the last quarter even with the working link. As soon as I try to move down the timeline or change image quality it tells me I am outside Australia and blocks me! Is anyone able to post a link to the 4th quarter?

Same happened to me but keep persisting (refreshing) - it eventually works.

Or as Demon Disicple mentioned you can access it another way.

Sadly I get the same problem when attempting to view it DD's way.

Try using another computer or ipad.

Well the MFC have a video with all 12 goals of the final term - better than nothing.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/video/2013-04-23/12-goal-quarter

Edited by Young Dee

I found that if I went to full screen then out again it switched to the "viewing from another country" bit and I had to refresh the whole thing to get it back. Of course, since they have decided not to include any practical way of navigating the video (can't even select which quarter to watch!) I then had to replay from the last goal. Bloody annoying I say.

Sadly I get the same problem when attempting to view it DD's way.

I had the same problem. Hopeless app and as i said the cropped screen drives me nuts. The way around it i found was to refresh the page restarting the application, then going to the last goal of the 3rd quarter (GWS and Nevs report!) and watch from there. The 4th quarter starts automatically after that. You could go to the 1st goal of the last but you miss the first couple of minutes

• 2 weeks later...

For the nerds

hey mate, I'm having this problem again.. how did you find that workaround link