Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Time to go Mark Neeld

Grand New Flag

bing181, on 09 May 2013 - 18:24, said:

It can be argued otherwise. They're a lot faster than what he is (just for starters).

Magner is not the saviour, and if he was, he wouldn't be running round in the two's. He had a few decent games early last year, but was eventually found out at senior level. With another year under his belt now, who knows, but he'll get his chance.

Of course Magner isn't the saviour. I can't understand the mentality that if they're not the saviour - a player with no faults - they're not worth the trouble. The point is - will he contribute to the team effort?

Just about all players have strengths and weaknesses. Good sides can use their players' strengths while covering for their weaknesses. That's what building a team is all about.

Magner's strength is getting his hands on the ball first at stoppages. Would that help us now? You bet! The one game where he was allowed to play to his strengths, he was one of our best. Of course he's not the complete player.

But he's the one bloke at the club besides Jones who gives us the best chance of first use of the ball.

Edited by Akum
  • Like 3

If we lose by 5 goals to gold coast and Mark Neeld says, " we thought it was a good effort to get within 5 goals" any shred of faith i have/had in him will be gone.

We should win this game and there are no excuses when it's at the G

He's already started saying we are younger than the Gold Coast this week. God help us.

• Like 1

Caro has said in her latest video blog report that Neeld is not the problem... So I guess we can all agree now that he is.

We basically have to now :/ cheers for taking the choice away caro!

Neeld today:

"We'll go in on Sunday with less experience out there than Gold Coast.

"At the moment we're playing with an average experience of 50 games."

Preemptive excuse strike.

• Like 1

Neeld today:

I'm sorry, but I've had it with this bloke. Excuses BEFORE the match? We're playing effing Gold Coast! An out of form Gold Coast!! It would be funny if it wasn't so tragic.

I'm sure glad he's reminded everyone about the lack of games experience, just in case they didn't catch it the other 2672 times he's mentioned it.

Hinkley's message to fans: "we will never give up". Neeld's message to fans: "bare with us for another few years of painful beltings while we get games into kids".

• Like 1

Neeld today:

Please quote the whole conversation Stuie and the contest it was said in, I didn't hear it fully so would like to know exactly what was said an in what context and not snippets

After all he is from the Malthouse school where you always play mind games in the lead up to a game and talk up the opponent, never wanting to take the favourite mantle

• Like 1

Please quote the whole conversation Stuie and the contest it was said in, I didn't hear it fully so would like to know exactly what was said an in what context and not snippets

You obviously have the internet and can read, how about you do it yourself champ? Sick of trying to guide you through it.

You obviously have the internet and can read, how about you do it yourself champ? Sick of trying to guide you through it.

First of all I think when you are in your 40's you earn the right to cease being referred to as champ

Second I wasn't sure where the quote you put in came from, may have been the same site where your way off the mark tackle count reference in last weeks game came from

And as for guiding me through it I just went and found the presser, and as I suspected asked a question about is there extra pressure on you going in as favourites against an u and coming team

Neeld's response text book deflection not wishing to take the favouritism mantle

I'm sure you heard it that way it is there for all to hear but that would not have suited your anti-Neeld vendetta, I have some doubts on Neeld but I am objective and don't play with facts.

Edited by Pennant St Dee
  • Like 5

More context:

"Neeld said he was looking more for an improved performance on Sunday but emphasised the young group would be severely lacking in experience.

"Clearly we're not after a short-term fix, we're in a development long-term phase and that's fairly obvious,'' Neeld said.

"At the moment we're playing with an average experience of 50 games.''

Neeld brushed aside rumours that unless he could turn the Demons' fortunes around quickly he would be sacked, with Sydney premiership coach Paul Roos the man mentioned as a possible replacement.

"I don't feel I need to add any commentary to a rumour that has already proven to be wrong,'' Neeld said."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/demons-midfielder-nathan-jones-to-captain-his-side-against-gold-coast/story-fndv8pdq-1226638457143

• Like 1

Caro has said in her latest video blog report that Neeld is not the problem... So I guess we can all agree now that he is.

We can agree that she's a vindictive cow.

• Like 4

That was said in jest surely Jumbo yes?

Hasn't played 1 game this year so how can you judge if he is or isn't? Basing it on last year's form maybe? If that were the basis for your judgement half our team should be playing for Casey.

But players who have played this year who clearly aren't AFL standard (and there's plenty of them) you're willing to keep playing, but leave Magner downstairs to fester it would seem?

Looking forward to your next entertaining line :lol:

No jest, RN.

James Magner is far too slow for AFL footy and against a fleet footed Suns midfield, if he played, we'd be one player down all day.

Neeld today:

No it's a fact. Something that is easily forgotten as you tea off on Neeld. We are not only inexperienced we have the worst list in the comp. Say it slowly and it just may sink in.

Bailey had a worst list than Neeld that was more inexperienced and was achieving more.

And Bailey was a failure. It speaks volumes about Neeld that he is making excuses coming into a game against a development team in GCS.

See if you can say it slowly and repeatedly and guess what....it just might.... Bu then again.....

• Like 2

Bailey had a worst list than Neeld that was more inexperienced and was achieving more.

And Bailey was a failure. It speaks volumes about Neeld that he is making excuses coming into a game against a development team in GCS.

See if you can say it slowly and repeatedly and guess what....it just might.... Bu then again.....

Stop following me around it's creepy.

We don't and won't agree on Neeld so just go back to bullying the schoolkids on the forum.

Bailey was never given the FD to succeed. He was preordained to fail. A typical scenario at our club over the last 50 years.

All I say is give Neeld the time, changing now is no plan

• Like 1

Neeld today:

I honestly thought that was a joke post - but he actually said that??? Holy [censored]!!!

I honestly thought that was a joke post - but he actually said that??? Holy [censored]!!!

Fancy talking facts to the media. Holy [censored]

• Like 3

Stop following me around it's creepy.

We don't and won't agree on Neeld so just go back to bullying the schoolkids on the forum.

Bailey was never given the FD to succeed. He was preordained to fail. A typical scenario at our club over the last 50 years.

All I say is give Neeld the time, changing now is no plan

You really are a hypocrite the way you taunt others on the site who oppose your views and then when you are held accountable you squeal like a little piggy.

Your comment to Stuie above just evidences it. Go away and grow up.

Edited by Rhino Richards

I'm not sure that this is correct. At the same point in each of their respective coaching careers (six games into season 2) their records were similar although Bailey already had a wooden spoon to his credit and was on his way to a 1-12 record before he allegedly started tanking. I think you'll find that his list was more experienced in terms of average games played in 2008/9 as well.

Bailey didn't start "achieving more" until his third season as coach when the team won 8½ games but (rightly or wrongly) many around here aren't even prepared to afford Neeld the opportunity to have a third season at the helm.

As has been pointed out above, when Neeld's comments are taken in context he's not making excuses. He's stating a fact - i.e. that this week's team averages around 50 games per player experience. The fact that this is a disadvantage in the modern game is fairly obvious to most but will not really assist against Gold Coast which has similar numbers.

Edited by KC from Casey
  • Like 10

More context:

"Neeld said he was looking more for an improved performance on Sunday but emphasised the young group would be severely lacking in experience.

"Clearly we're not after a short-term fix, we're in a development long-term phase and that's fairly obvious,'' Neeld said.

Neeld brushed aside rumours that unless he could turn the Demons' fortunes around quickly he would be sacked, with Sydney premiership coach Paul Roos the man mentioned as a possible replacement.

"I don't feel I need to add any commentary to a rumour that has already proven to be wrong,'' Neeld said."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/demons-midfielder-nathan-jones-to-captain-his-side-against-gold-coast/story-fndv8pdq-1226638457143

It's this games experience stat that bothers me quite a bit. For some reason it's become an obsession with Neeld and like all stats can be misleading. Some of our recruiting decisions are being influenced by this stat. Yet last week against Richmond Geelong went into the game with 7 or 8 players I think it was with under 50 games experience.

Stats and KPI's, according to them Geelong should be nowhere near the top of the ladder, smashed in most key performance areas that the experts hold dear, and last years premiers should have been Hawthorn.

The scoreboard...

• Like 1

First of all I think when you are in your 40's you earn the right to cease being referred to as champ

Not necessarily buddy (pal, boyo, sunshine, CHAMP etc).

Is this then an indicator that Davey OR Rodan, or both, won't play. If both do the games average claim is spoilt by 15.5.

I'm not sure that this is correct. At the same point in each of their respective coaching careers (six games into season 2) their records were similar although Bailey already had a wooden spoon to his credit and was on his way to a 1-12 record before he allegedly started tanking. I think you'll find that his list was more experienced in terms of average games played in 2008/9 as well.

Bailey didn't start "achieving more" until his third season as coach when the team won 8½ games but (rightly or wrongly) many around here aren't even prepared to afford Neeld the opportunity to have a third season at the helm.

As has been pointed out above, when Neeld's comments are taken in context he's not making excuses. He's stating a fact - i.e. that this week's team averages around 50 games per player experience. The fact that this is a disadvantage in the modern game is fairly obvious to most but will not really assist against Gold Coast which has similar numbers.

Neeld took over the list that Bailey had which yield 8.5 wins from 19 games before he was sacked for not being good enough.

Neeld has had Craig, Misson, development coaches and Clark in addition to the list he inherited. It was not a great list still very young but in terms of results Neeld has taken us significantly backwards.

And Bailey took over a spent, exhausted and talentless list after NDs final tilt flopped and Cameron was making a meal of recruiting.

Bailey had pension off Neitz, White, Yze, Robbo, Whelan and others whose careers had ended. His list was then flooded with junior players. The list got progressively younger as Bailey played the younger players as the older players retired.

The number of games that the side had for the 186 game was comparable with the games experience of the MFC side of the first two rounds in 2013.

And it should be noted that Bailey was definitely coaching to outcomes to deliver sub 5 win seasons. Neeld does not have that constraint but would fill that criteria admirably.

The team we fielded last week had less experience than the team GCS fielded in their game due to having Jamar 120 games and Clark 95 games out injured. And we had dropped Rodan and Davey (170 games).

Edited by Rhino Richards
  • Like 2

Neeld today:

Could not agree more. Neeld team was only less experienced last week due to injuries and omissions.

I was going to back MFC to win by 4 goals in my local tipping comp. I will have to re consider that.

Talk about flying the white flag. He won't need to give a pressed afterwards.