• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Jack Watts is back and will top Niknat

Demon Forever

I took note of a comment that Leigh Matthews had in regards to Michael Hurley, he mentioned that Hurleys best position on the ground would be at CHF and that Hurley was too aggressive to play CHB, Matthews continued to say that CHB players need to be poised, calm and more relaxed than Hurley is.

Matthews description was exactly Jack Watts.

So, hopefully now that Watts has found his position, he can show his wares..

I think Nick Nat will be injured a lot throughout his career.

Sorry, just off topic for a minute, but is Matthews' special comments the worst of all time? Cue Friday night's game, at one stage I heard him say....'The Crows had 3 players around the ball, that's why they won it (sic) contest' Really?

*Crickets*

Sorry, just off topic for a minute, but is Matthews' special comments the worst of all time? Cue Friday night's game, at one stage I heard him say....'The Crows had 3 players around the ball, that's why they won it (sic) contest' Really?

*Crickets*

Yeah, I always thought our very own G.Lyon was one of the better special comments blokes.

As much as I dislike Lloyd as well, he is underrated in the special comments department.

As far as Leigh goes, he certainly isn't as good at commentating - as coaching, but he is still worth listening to in a lot of areas of the game.

• Like 1

A player who is developed at one club and returns to his home to be a star at another club is not a plus for the first club. Does anyone think that having NN at the club over the last few years would have made much of a difference?

Sounds like NN would have been back in WA by now whereas we still have JW. Therefore unless JW was a complete dud (which he clearly is not) choosing JW was a win. Why argue about it.

NN would be as useful a draft pick for us as Scott Thompson was [who returned home to Adelaide at the first opportunity]. I think that choosing JW over him (NN) was astute at the time and will prove to be inspired in the long-term!

I don't know about Watts being moulded to r like Fisher - he lacks the desire for the physical confrontation too much to compare to him.

I see him more like a taller version of Mackie.

Nic Nat's elevation to All Australian status was premature, but he most certainly is a freakish talent.

It's all immaterial as we have one and not the other, but fwiw I think Watts would be considered a fine player if he'd gone top 10 to a strong club not top pick to us.

We NEED him to be a star for us. I still don't think he will - a fine serviceable player, but no star. In terms of #1 picks I see him more as a Banfield (one of the first picked every week who can do a role for the team) as opposed to a Riewoldt (genuine star player).

Edited by DemonAndrew

The thing is I bet it would be a lot easier to get Hurley to control his aggression instead of getting Watts to become aggressive enough.

Oh and if you've watched Hurley play in the backline he has no problem when to attack and when not to. The guy is a freak natural defender.

Didn't work for Brad Miller ........

I think Watts would be considered a fine player if he'd gone top 10 to a strong club not top pick to us.

Agree - it's a point that lost on almost everybody, rather than considering we are weak financially and culturally, and that's why we can't develop top-shelf talent, it's a lot easier to say Barry Prendergast picked the wrong blokes.. even if that makes no sense because Sylvia/Morton etc were all taken exactly where they were supposed to be in the draft

NN would be as useful a draft pick for us as Scott Thompson was [who returned home to Adelaide at the first opportunity]. I think that choosing JW over him (NN) was astute at the time and will prove to be inspired in the long-term!

Then why did we take Jimmy Toumpas?

And just to add a "Kiss of Death", my favourite footy journalist (not), Mark Robinson, said on SEN over the weekend that he thought Jack Watts would make the 40 man All Australian squad this year.

But just to add a proviso, that claim might have been part of a Foxtel or SEN "outrageous prediction" topic. Doesn't mean MR doesn't believe it to be true. But perhaps the claim should be appreciated in that light.

Then why did we take Jimmy Toumpas?

Because the option being considered before that was also from SA (Ollie Wines). Also Toumpas has never stated that he intended to return to SA [unlike Scottie Thompson]!

Because the option being considered before that was also from SA (Ollie Wines). Also Toumpas has never stated that he intended to return to SA [unlike Scottie Thompson]!

Ollie wines is Victorian!

• Like 1

For those of you who haven't seen it yet, be sure to watch the short video of the Ox on the MFC website as he reminisces about his time at the MFC, and what the Club means to him. Great stuff! Just SO pleased to see him back on board.

And, he will be delivering the match ball to the middle of the MCG to start the game on Sunday. Very deserving, and a nice touch!!

Well done David and well done MFC!

Go Dees!!

• Like 3

I like that we chose Toumpas, he seems to love being part of the club as shown by him already re-signing and i have a funny feeling at some stage ollie wines might want to come back to Melbourne and play with Jack Viney, especially if we start to climb the ladder.

Plus i think Toumpas will be a better player, reminds me a little bit of a scott pendelbury

• Like 1

Yes, and Hogan is from WA, Kent from WA, Barry from NT, Terlich from NSW (via SA), Clisby from SA, and Stark from Mt Gambier (via Adelaide).

Correct. That reality won't sit well with the 'go home factor' merchants re NicNat. As I said ... total furphy that.

Putting the Jack Watt's comparison to the side for a minute. It really is a joke that NN was all Australian Ruckman last year.

Out of 22 games only got 15+ possession 6 times with only once getting to 20.

Averaged only 3 marks a game and was ranked 17th for Ave Hitouts!!

There is no doubt he goes missing for large portions of games and the media is completely seduced by the highlights.

Here are some Naitanui stats from 2012 you conveniently neglected to mention ...

Number 1 in the AFL for contested possessions by a ruckman.

Number 2 in the AFL for goals (to Cox) by a ruckman.

Number 2 in the AFL (behind Sandilands) for winning % of hit-outs.

Number 1 ruckman in the AFL on average Champion Data points per game.

And this from a guy playing in a position where he's not supposed to be hitting his straps until he's 25+ yo.

Naitanui's influence for the Eagles around contested ball situations in 2012 was immense. He's a beast and he's only going to get better. Handy a player as Watts will hopefully become, to compare a guy playing a reasonably soft back line sweeper role with a bloke who relentlessly and ferociously helps give his side first use out of the middle ... is ridiculous.

It's got nothing to do with highlight reels. That's just common sense.

Edited by Range Rover

Here are some Naitanui stats from 2012 you conveniently neglected to mention ...

And this from a guy playing in a position where he's not supposed to be hitting his straps until he's 25+ yo.

Naitanui's influence for the Eagles around contested ball situations in 2012 was immense. He's a beast and he's only going to get better. Handy a player as Watts will hopefully become, to compare a guy playing a reasonably soft back line sweeper role with a bloke who relentlessly and ferociously helps give his side first use out of the middle ... is ridiculous.

I wish you would not use facts get in the way of a good story RR

Watts is not a ruckman! How would Natanui perform as a backman? What's your point?

Would you rather a dominant ruckman or a quality half back flanker?

I'd rather have the class and skill and room for further development that comes with Watts. He won't always be a half-back flanker. If you can't see the potential with this guy I can't help you. This kid will be a star for this club.

• Like 2

Ok here's some stats...

Consider how horrible we were last year, then realize that:

Jack Watts averaged more kicks, handballs, and marks than Naitanui. In fact, over their careers Watts has averaged more disposals and marks than your messiah RR.

Considering Watts is not a ruckman and played most of the season in the backline last year, it's a bit silly to compare hitout and goal stats.

• Like 1

I'd rather have the class and skill and room for further development that comes with Watts. He won't always be a half-back flanker. If you can't see the potential with this guy I can't help you. This kid will be a star for this club.

That's fine. But Id be confident in suggesting that the current 18 AFL coaches would not make the same choice.