• IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Sponsors - has the tanking investigation hit?

hoopla

The fact is this has been a theme of the current admins tenure though. I think it's fair to hold the CEO to account for that. I'm not a Schwab "hater" by any means but there has to be some accountability for the role. Whether he is directly involved in sourcing sponsors is irrelevant as the buck stops with him as the CEO. It's not about just wanting to see him gone for the sake of it but how long does he get when we continue to face the same issues year in, year out.

Our on-field situation doesn't help of course but you can't keep using that as a cop-out.

Securing Sponsorship is a theme of every CEO's tenure in every AFL Club. Certainly the Buck stops at the CEO but you do not throw the baby out with the bath water. Any other CEO you hire would still be faced with the issue of securing sponsors in this current economical and political (tanking) climate. So changing your CEO may not fix that issue. Nonetheless when it is time to consider continuing contracts or ceasing I would hope the board does it due diligence and consider the CEO and his positives and negatives in its entirety and not down to whether sponsors are signed or not.

Securing Sponsorship is a theme of every CEO's tenure in every AFL Club. Certainly the Buck stops at the CEO but you do not throw the baby out with the bath water. Any other CEO you hire would still be faced with the issue of securing sponsors in this current economical and political (tanking) climate. So changing your CEO may not fix that issue. Nonetheless when it is time to consider continuing contracts or ceasing I would hope the board does it due diligence and consider the CEO and his positives and negatives in its entirety and not down to whether sponsors are signed or not.

I agree but it's still going to be a large component (balancing the books, expanding revenue) of how he is measured.

Moonshadow, please...... Shows how little you know about how a multiple million $$$ Afl team is run.

I'm yet to hear a word from you GiG to back up your ridiculous claim that CS is responsible for our on field performance. Stop being dismissive and add to the discussion. Your words were that he will deserve praise only when we get on field success. So please, oh learned one, tell us how CS can individually gain us on field success to justify his employment? Which games will he kick 10 or more goals in? Which players did he call out their names at the draft, because he chose them? How many seasons did he run the training sessions?

FFS.

For a cellar dweller club with comparatively few supporters, I honestly think CS has played his part very well to help generate income and run our club more efficiently. The balance books prove this. He's at his best when he is running the business side of things. If you think he should be running the on field stuff in order to prove his employment, please let us know your reasonings GiG, because we all need a GiGgle.

Edited by Moonshadow

As far as I'm concerned the buck stops with him, he has a say in hiring coaches, recruitment managers, all office staff.

He is doing an ok job but as the afl says: Once you get the off field stuff right the on field performance will follow. It has nothing to do with him kicking 10 goals as you suggest. He ultimately is responsible for everything at the club. All the BS that has engulfed the club over the last 5 years will be forgotten once the team actually starts winning games of football and he may reap some praise but until then....

You may not like it Moonshadow but those are my thoughts.

• Like 1

Betezy, Drake and Metro Energy

Now there is a group of sponsors our coffers would really rely on.

Betezy.... I signed up to Deesbet years ago......... I also stopped betting with them years ago. What an amateurish setup.

Drake ..... Have been around a long time and are trying to renew their brand unsuccessfully.

Metro Energy had plenty of money to splash around when Julia and Co. were in bed with the greens....... They'll be broke after 6 months with the Libs

• Like 2

As far as I'm concerned the buck stops with him, he has a say in hiring coaches, recruitment managers, all office staff.

He is doing an ok job but as the afl says: Once you get the off field stuff right the on field performance will follow. It has nothing to do with him kicking 10 goals as you suggest. He ultimately is responsible for everything at the club. All the BS that has engulfed the club over the last 5 years will be forgotten once the team actually starts winning games of football and he may reap some praise but until then....

You may not like it Moonshadow but those are my thoughts.

To quote you in your previous post GiG.... "Shows how little you know about how a multiple million $$$ Afl team is run."

Come on, really? Do you honestly think that CS is responsible for everything at the club?

He had no say in Neeld's appointment, nor the assistants, nor the selection of Jason Taylor. He is purposely separate from the FD. His job is to oversee the financial running of the club, generate new income streams, make sure the books are balanced, etc. In that sense, the bucks do stop with him. But he cannot be held responsible for whether we win week in, week out. Nor do I think that his job should be linked to how many games we win, ie on field success. He responds to the board. I'm sure that like all of us he'd dearly love to see Melbourne win a flag, but just because he looks after the business of the club does not mean that he is also responsible for the team winning or losing.

Glad you are not the CEO of the company I work for, be broke in 6mths.

To quote you in your previous post GiG.... "Shows how little you know about how a multiple million $$$ Afl team is run."

Come on, really? Do you honestly think that CS is responsible for everything at the club?

He had no say in Neeld's appointment, nor the assistants, nor the selection of Jason Taylor. He is purposely separate from the FD. His job is to oversee the financial running of the club, generate new income streams, make sure the books are balanced, etc. In that sense, the bucks do stop with him. But he cannot be held responsible for whether we win week in, week out. Nor do I think that his job should be linked to how many games we win, ie on field success. He responds to the board. I'm sure that like all of us he'd dearly love to see Melbourne win a flag, but just because he looks after the business of the club does not mean that he is also responsible for the team winning or losing.

Glad you are not the CEO of the company I work for, be broke in 6mths.

Moonshadow, was having my afternoon break when I read the GiG post, was going to entertain myself by answering it, once I had stopped laughing of course, but you have beaten me to it

You are wasting your time, GiG has an opinion and there is no way he will let facts get in the way

Betezy, Drake and Metro Energy

Now there is a group of sponsors our coffers would really rely on.

Betezy.... I signed up to Deesbet years ago......... I also stopped betting with them years ago. What an amateurish setup.

Drake ..... Have been around a long time and are trying to renew their brand unsuccessfully.

Metro Energy had plenty of money to splash around when Julia and Co. were in bed with the greens....... They'll be broke after 6 months with the Libs

Means nothing, replacements do.

Dare say that we wouldn't be maximising our value signing deals shortly before the tankquiry finishes and while the heat is on about organised sport allegedly being as corrupt as buggery.

I'm sure there's work going on behind the scenes, and once the tanking is resulted one way or the other and the heat dies down on the ACC stuff there will be some announcements.

If you have a look at the web site. We have sponsors I haven't seen before.

The Age has gone and been replaced by The HUN.

No wonder Don let Caro have it with both barrels

The fact is this has been a theme of the current admins tenure though. I think it's fair to hold the CEO to account for that. I'm not a Schwab "hater" by any means but there has to be some accountability for the role. Whether he is directly involved in sourcing sponsors is irrelevant as the buck stops with him as the CEO. It's not about just wanting to see him gone for the sake of it but how long does he get when we continue to face the same issues year in, year out.

Our on-field situation doesn't help of course but you can't keep using that as a cop-out.

Sorry Doc - I don;t see how you can possibly hold the CEO responsible for a decline in sponsorship when our image is being dragged through the mud every day by Caro and her unofficial sources. Sponsors look at the brand - they don't want to be associated with "pathetic and disgusting" organisations. Sponsors look at access to members - they don't want access to a low member base if larger member bases are on offer.

Do you seriously believe that a capable CEO will be able to keep the flow of sponsors rolling in to an organisation under the pressure we have been under lately - and on the back of 4 wins ?

If you have it in for CS - you are going to have to find a better reason that the shortage of willing cashed up sponsors - to justify a call for moving him on.

"I'm the new gun CEO of the MFC replacing Schwabby - can you get your $2m cheque to me this week? Same club - but I'm here now ..... actually make that $2.5m." "OK ...who's next?"

Gold

Quick ,sign up to the little paper one and all!!

Don't know if it's been asked already, but did the Age bail, or did we simply not pursue them as a response to their shoddy journalism regarding the club? The fact that we have taken on the Hun could be seen as a deliberate move from both parties to stick it up The Age (MFC & Hun).

Edit: but I still won't read the Hun :-)

Edited by hardtack

Don't know if it's been asked already, but did the Age bail, or did we simply not pursue them as a response to their shoddy journalism regarding the club? The fact that we have taken on the Hun could be seen as a deliberate move from both parties to stick it up The Age (MFC & Hun).

Edit: but I still won't read the Hun :-)

+1

Moonshadow if you think Cam Schwab didn't have a say in the appointment of Bailey, assistant coaches, recruiting managers etc you really have no idea. Please put your head back in the sand and leave me alone.

The end.

Dean Bailey and his assistants were at the club before Schwabs arrival from Fremantle.....
  • Like 1

Well I've gone and signed up for the weekend HUN with Digital Pass.

Dad would be rolling with laughter in his grave.

He worked at the Herald & Weekly Times all his life.

I told him long before he died I would never read his rag again.

Dad I guess I was wrong.

PS Mum and Dad were life long bombers

Edited by Chippy
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

And based on the information from the AGM they get replaced by sponsors who will pay more.

Do you have a problem with that little man?

Tick Tock, any news, round 1 is closing in fast.

Tick Tock, any news, round 1 is closing in fast.

We currently have not lost any major sponsors I believe... so what is it that you are concerned about? What is so important about round 1? Are you worried that we may not be able to afford to field a team?

There was a brief article on the MFC site today re the club taking on 4 Chinese Melbourne University Business students to look at how they can improve what they are doing on the China front:

"The team of four - Melody, Will, Patrick and Kevin - spent two weeks working with the Club’s strategy and commercial teams, evaluating our current China strategy and providing insights into potential Chinese sponsors."

It goes on to say that they are...

"...currently in negotiations with a number of Chinese companies. The work conducted by the Melbourne University students will assist in refining and strengthening our relationships, which we expect to deliver a positive result in 2013."

All seems quite positive and nice to see them being proactive.

http://www.melbournefc.com.au/news/2013-03-19/china-strategy-strengthened-by-student-insights

Edited by hardtack
  • Like 1