Demetriou Must Go

Range Rover

Has The Bloated One Run His Race?  

126 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Wilson's article in today's Age - 'Would you want your son playing AFL footy?' - is noticeable for one thing ... there is not one single mention of the man who presides over a competition that leaps embarrassingly from one sordid fiasco to another.

Who in the media - print, radio and TV alike - is going to be the first to do the gutsy thing and train their gunsights on the head honcho? His leadership, foresight and judgment needs to be questioned publicly in the most vigorous manner possible. It can't just be left up to a sporadic piece here and there from Patrick Smith.

Some people say it's all about dollars and cents. Well, this bully boy is officially casting a great big stinking aura over our game. And that 'aint good for business.

art-353-svDEMETRIOU-300x0.jpg

Edited by Range Rover

Wilson's article in today's Age - 'Would you want your son playing AFL footy?' - is noticeable for one thing ...

I thought it was noticeable for being about the most deplorable thing I've read for a long while. It might be a good article when all that stuff is proved, but not now.

Anyway, to bring the missing AD into the article, she'd have to introduce the sobbing mother of a budding administrator and invent some scandal around her child.

I'm not sure of whether I want Vlad dumped or not at the moment. He could still be very influential in the Tanking saga. Remember the tanking fiasco was not of his making and his reputation is at stake as much as our own.

Of course it was of his making. He condoned the parameters of the priority pick and then arrogantly, dumbly went into denial when the shite hit the fan. Not to mention his flitting off to Europe for two months to watch the rhythm gymnastics when he should've been squarely at the wheel!

• Like 2

I cant imagine any incumbent wanting to take the reigns just yet. I'd be waiting for the mops and hoses and the whole mess cleaned up and put to bed. Then, and only then would i shove !! lol

I don't particularly like or dislike Andrew Demetriou but I think he's presided over a pretty successful period for the AFL. Certainly there are some issues of concern, but I reckon when compared with the NRL and FFA, the AFL has been managed extraordinarily well. I used to wonder how David Gallop got out of bed each day when he was CEO of the NRL - that was a much harder gig.

And lets keep in mind that our club still exists and according to reports of our AGM last night, we're in a pretty good financial position. Demetriou has consistently wanted to maintain the core clubs in the AFL even while expanding the competition and has managed a complex financial equalisation program (although some clubs are still more equal than others).

Is it time for him to go? Personally, I think he's earned the right to go at a time of his choosing.

Disclosure: In a previous role I had to deal with Demetriou. I found him, er, difficult. But he was only doing what he thought was the best for the AFL.

• Like 3

The corporate mantra is one of winning at all costs. If you don't someone else will. Simply change the corporate creed of profit at all costs to one that encompasses several other reasonable factors and change would be swift. Problem is, greedy shareholders want more!

• Like 3

Cunning plan, RR!

The poll is a bit like the one News Ltd asked recently about who was the best of Australia's last five Prime Minister's (Hawke, Keating, Howard, Rudd, Gillard). Beautifully structured to split the Labor vote! RR has got three options which 'support' Demetriou and one to consolidate all the votes to shaft him. Brilliant strategy. RR should be working for the Herald Sun.

I'd add a smily emoticon if I knew how.

• Like 3

Of course it was of his making. He condoned the parameters of the priority pick and then arrogantly, dumbly went into denial when the shite hit the fan. Not to mention his flitting off to Europe for two months to watch the rhythm gymnastics when he should've been squarely at the wheel!

In the grand scheme of things your right. However it was Anderson who pressed the big red button with the sticky note attached saying,"Do Not Press". Up to that point Vlad had buried the issue.

The landscape of professional sports has changed dramatically in the past 5 years.

Win at any cost has been the mantra for all concerned.

Professional sports relies on totally Sponsorship Money, so when there is that much money involved then the sponsors want success

so that their brand is promoted out there. The clubs will then push the boundaries, hence the problems with Tanking, Drugs etc.

The only way to reign things in is shrink the boundaries, so that clubs aren't pushed to the edge.

As far as the AFL is concerned there is only one man responsible to fix this and that is AD.

Everything has become worse since he has been in control. He must go.

• Like 1

I don't think its Vlad thats the problem, but the whole Commission.

I'd love to see the AFL dragged thru the courts, to get all this dirt out in the open, & then washed clean...

A total spill of the AFL Commission is whats needed, to stop the cover ups 'building up', that eventually find their way to the open air.

If the Essendon saga escalates the sharks will be circling.

This past 12 months has been very ordinary.

The AFL is too big (The organization)

It's time to lean it up so that departments know what each is doing.

Vlad is too removed.

Guest José Mourinho

REALLY?

I reckon anyone in the job would be potted incessantly, regardless of the quality of job they were doing.

There's only one man I can think of that would do better: Brian Cook.

Except I doubt he'd ever take the job on.

• Like 1

REALLY?

I reckon anyone in the job would be potted incessantly, regardless of the quality of job they were doing.

There's only one man I can think of that would do better: Brian Cook.

Except I doubt he'd ever take the job on.

I would have agreed but in the current climate questions are even being asked of Geelong and back in the day WC was questionable.

I think AD has taken on more than he should (3 stikes, GWS, GC for example) but needs to see it through and you are right in his position he will always get potted.

Questions should also be asked about the Lions triple successes when they were told by the league to stop the intraveneous blood dabbling !!!!!!!!! Vlad is hopelessly out of touch with all of this. He just wants more moolah and will do ANYTHING to increase his own takings! Beady eyes got out just before all this crap hit the fan, too. It's just a giant, rudderless ship at the moment. No wonder it is now mostly a corporate sport where genuine family supporters are left out and corporate dollars mean pretty much EVERYTHING! Essen-did will get whacked more than us I am told! The sanctimonious turds.

• Like 1

*Couldn't care less*

I'll only care if Jeff Kennett were somehow in the mix to replace him. Kennett has said several times he thinks we should merge with North, whereas AD is more than happy to preserve the status quo of an 18-team competition.

People have pooh-poohed the idea that Jeff could become AFL CEO but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

I'll only care if Jeff Kennett were somehow in the mix to replace him. Kennett has said several times he thinks we should merge with North, whereas AD is more than happy to preserve the status quo of an 18-team competition.

People have pooh-poohed the idea that Jeff could become AFL CEO but I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility.

sorry, its very definitely out of the realm of possibility

a bull in a multi billion dollar china shop aint going to happen