Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

The tragic downfall of Liam Jurrah

Whispering_Jack

Needs to be locked up before he kills someone.

Regardless of all these charges he gets off, if you don't think there is a problem, you are an absolute JOKE.

Just because he gets off a machete attack because they were all on the turps - we should pay Jurrah respect?

Drink driving is not a joke either, this forum seems to support it - I don't and neither does our justice system.

Actions speak louder than words and judging by Liam's actions in the past year, he is a dangerous individual, thinks he is above the law and needs to be locked up.

Judge,Jury and psychologist.

Maybe we need the "5 minute rule", with Judges to have all evidence reduced by "Summly", via Skype and a decision handed down in 300 seconds.

Be good for TV and would stop us wasting all that money on no-hopers.

We could weight penalties by skin colour or ethnic background on a sliding scale .

Any thoughts?

It's frustrating for those of us who would like to see him on what we perceive as "the straight and narrow" that we don't even know what's the right thing to do or whether we're even entitled to give our opinion without sounding patronising.

Every time I read something about Liam, I see him more and more as an exile who would be far better off in Melbourne with people like his (former?) mentor around him but I don't know if that's right either.

However, it seems to me that as long as he remains in Alice Springs or in Adelaide, he's always going to remain exposed and prone not only to trouble but potentially to tragedy as well. They say that he still harbours dreams of playing AFL but everything he does while living over there ensures that the dream gets pushed further and further away with every passing day. Former AFL footballer Liam Jurrah arrested again in Alice Springs

• Like 1

Agree with you WYL. Although Liam Jurrah takes ultimate responsibility for Liam Jurrah, Rubeboy and a couple of the other hangers on shoulder some of the blame for the way things have turned out. From day one I was never convinced of the purity of their motives in "helping" Liam.

That stupid book should never have seen the light of day.

The book seemed to come out a bit too hastily. Liam was still a novice player when the book was published and he was no way prepared for the celebrtiy exposure that has descended on him. The club did not help by exploiting his media value too. Like all were cashing in before it went pear shaped which it has.

A long way from the shy young kid thast he first appeared. It is clear Liam needs some structure in his life and it may have to be imposed on him. He must think he is god or something as he seems to be getting away with all sorts of mischief at the moment. Now he acts likes he raps for NWA.

• Like 1

The book seemed to come out a bit too hastily. Liam was still a novice player when the book was published and he was no way prepared for the celebrtiy exposure that has descended on him. The club did not help by exploiting his media value too. Like all were cashing in before it went pear shaped which it has.

A long way from the shy young kid thast he first appeared. It is clear Liam needs some structure in his life and it may have to be imposed on him. He must think he is god or something as he seems to be getting away with all sorts of mischief at the moment. Now he acts likes he raps for NWA.

NWA kept their act together for longer.

• Like 2

Speaking as a resident of Central Australia, one of the things that has really frustrated locals during the Jurrah saga (I think we can turn that phrase now) is the media's infatuation with the fate of a fallen sporting idol rather than what is at the heart of the issue, which is the ongoing substance abuse and violence in Central Australia. I have come to feel the same way about a number of posters opinions in this thread. Do most of you have a genuine interest in the chronic problems prevalent in indigenous community's of Australia, or have you formed your opinions during the unfolding crisis that has enveloped Liam and his kin? Obviously for many of you Liam has highlighted or bought you closer to the these issues. The problem with this though is that many of you are basing your opinions on Liam's journey alone while not looking at the bigger issue.

When Liam was first recruited to Melbourne my jaw hit the floor. I was thrilled, amazed and caught completely unawares. I know the community where he comes from and many others like it. I have known hundreds of men his age over the past decade. I knew the conditions in which they grew up, I saw the issues they are forced to confront and have witnessed first hand the carnage of alcohol, petrol, drugs and violence. For the vast majority of young men I knew, joining an AFL club and living away from family in Melbourne was possibly the most extraordinary thing they could do. By that I mean it is about a big a leap as they could take. For many, even the extremely talented footballers, players with ability like Liam, a move to an AFL club would be incomprehensible. Most, if offered the opportunity, would flatly turn it down. This, I understand, for those of us who harboured, or harbour aspirations to play at the highest level is in itself incomprehensible. Why would a young man turn his back on such a opportunity? Because a life living away from family and country, many would consider, is a life not worth living at all. It certainly wouldn't be substituted by money, fame and the feeling of running onto the MCG. So when Liam was not only recruited, but then accepted his chance I knew we had recruited an extraordinary man to our club.

The fact that Liam worked his way into the team was quite frankly something I never thought would happen. Let me say this another way. I did not think Liam Jurrah would play a single game for the Melbourne Football Club. How, I asked myself, could any man from this region break free from the responsibilities of his family, the problems of his community and commit himself to the rigours of AFL football? How could he transform his body, overcome the enormous language barriers, conform to a strict routine, completely change his diet, live with a different family, navigate a city like Melbourne, forgo his ongoing cultural responsibilities and simply survive? I thought it all impossible, which makes what he did achieve the most amazing story I personally will ever see in football. But more on that later.

When he started to play and play the way he did I honestly elevated Liam beyond anyone I thought I knew. I began to believe he was different to the majority of young men I had come into contact with and that somehow he had carved himself a special place in this world where he could achieve whatever it was he wanted to do. These thoughts were given air by the gushing write ups from the media, from people like Martin Flanagan. I left all common sense behind and slowly Liam's journey in my mind became less remarkable as Liam was no longer a skinny kid from Yuendumu making it big in the AFL he was different, so the laws of the gravity of his home country no longer applied. This of course was a terribly mistake in my mind. For what this slow unravelling of his life over the past year has shown is that he is no more capable of escaping the issues of his upbringing anymore than the next person. The problems of this most troubled space apply to him like they apply to every single other person who lives here.

Liam was a man who was offered an extraordinary opportunity, who had the guts, determination and will to take it. I for one feel blessed that he did and I applaud the club I love for its support of Liam which I know continues to this day. I wish some of you felt the same.

PS: Mistakes were made by all parties in this saga. But I believe there was no mistake the Melbourne Football Club made which can account for the current situation. For those of you suggesting that Rudeboy is in anyway to blame in this scenario I might suggest the following. He might have been the difference between Liam being recruited or not. Such is the enormity of the role he has played in Liam's life. Many young men and women from this region would love to have a mentor such as him, someone to assist in their journey in life. The assertion that some of the mistakes Liam has made can in some way be attributed to Rudeboy is absurd in the extreme and highlights the distance with which many of you see life for young indigenous and non-indigenous people In Central Australia.

• Like 17

Speaking as a resident of Central Australia, one of the things that has really frustrated locals during the Jurrah saga (I think we can turn that phrase now) is the media's infatuation with the fate of a fallen sporting idol rather than what is at the heart of the issue, which is the ongoing substance abuse and violence in Central Australia. I have come to feel the same way about a number of posters opinions in this thread. Do most of you have a genuine interest in the chronic problems prevalent in indigenous community's of Australia, or have you formed your opinions during the unfolding crisis that has enveloped Liam and his kin? Obviously for many of you Liam has highlighted or bought you closer to the these issues. The problem with this though is that many of you are basing your opinions on Liam's journey alone while not looking at the bigger issue.

When Liam was first recruited to Melbourne my jaw hit the floor. I was thrilled, amazed and caught completely unawares. I know the community where he comes from and many others like it. I have known hundreds of men his age over the past decade. I knew the conditions in which they grew up, I saw the issues they are forced to confront and have witnessed first hand the carnage of alcohol, petrol, drugs and violence. For the vast majority of young men I knew, joining an AFL club and living away from family in Melbourne was possibly the most extraordinary thing they could do. By that I mean it is about a big a leap as they could take. For many, even the extremely talented footballers, players with ability like Liam, a move to an AFL club would be incomprehensible. Most, if offered the opportunity, would flatly turn it down. This, I understand, for those of us who harboured, or harbour aspirations to play at the highest level is in itself incomprehensible. Why would a young man turn his back on such a opportunity? Because a life living away from family and country, many would consider, is a life not worth living at all. It certainly wouldn't be substituted by money, fame and the feeling of running onto the MCG. So when Liam was not only recruited, but then accepted his chance I knew we had recruited an extraordinary man to our club.

The fact that Liam worked his way into the team was quite frankly something I never thought would happen. Let me say this another way. I did not think Liam Jurrah would play a single game for the Melbourne Football Club. How, I asked myself, could any man from this region break free from the responsibilities of his family, the problems of his community and commit himself to the rigours of AFL football? How could he transform his body, overcome the enormous language barriers, conform to a strict routine, completely change his diet, live with a different family, navigate a city like Melbourne, forgo his ongoing cultural responsibilities and simply survive? I thought it all impossible, which makes what he did achieve the most amazing story I personally will ever see in football. But more on that later.

When he started to play and play the way he did I honestly elevated Liam beyond anyone I thought I knew. I began to believe he was different to the majority of young men I had come into contact with and that somehow he had carved himself a special place in this world where he could achieve whatever it was he wanted to do. These thoughts were given air by the gushing write ups from the media, from people like Martin Flanagan. I left all common sense behind and slowly Liam's journey in my mind became less remarkable as Liam was no longer a skinny kid from Yuendumu making it big in the AFL he was different, so the laws of the gravity of his home country no longer applied. This of course was a terribly mistake in my mind. For what this slow unravelling of his life over the past year has shown is that he is no more capable of escaping the issues of his upbringing anymore than the next person. The problems of this most troubled space apply to him like they apply to every single other person who lives here.

Liam was a man who was offered an extraordinary opportunity, who had the guts, determination and will to take it. I for one feel blessed that he did and I applaud the club I love for its support of Liam which I know continues to this day. I wish some of you felt the same.

PS: Mistakes were made by all parties in this saga. But I believe there was no mistake the Melbourne Football Club made which can account for the current situation. For those of you suggesting that Rudeboy is in anyway to blame in this scenario I might suggest the following. He might have been the difference between Liam being recruited or not. Such is the enormity of the role he has played in Liam's life. Many young men and women from this region would love to have a mentor such as him, someone to assist in their journey in life. The assertion that some of the mistakes Liam has made can in some way be attributed to Rudeboy is absurd in the extreme and highlights the distance with which many of you see life for young indigenous and non-indigenous people In Central Australia.

Not many here really care about indigenous issues here in particular most of those who claim to defend him. Liam was one of three who were charged with violence last year which culminated in Liam's recent show trial. No one seemed to care much about his co-accused. They were incarcerated after the incident and forced to plead guilty because it was the only choice they had. Their trial was separate and they did not have the luxury of bail. If they pleaded not guilty they would have received much harsher sentences. There was no question that they would be found innocent. They were not afforded the gilt edge defence Liam had and no one supported them. Not as in THE THREE MUSKETEERS motto. "One for all and all for one". Where is the justice in that? Hypocrisy and apathy by the bucket load here.

It's frustrating for those of us who would like to see him on what we perceive as "the straight and narrow" that we don't even know what's the right thing to do or whether we're even entitled to give our opinion without sounding patronising.

Every time I read something about Liam, I see him more and more as an exile who would be far better off in Melbourne with people like his (former?) mentor around him but I don't know if that's right either.

However, it seems to me that as long as he remains in Alice Springs or in Adelaide, he's always going to remain exposed and prone not only to trouble but potentially to tragedy as well. They say that he still harbours dreams of playing AFL but everything he does while living over there ensures that the dream gets pushed further and further away with every passing day. Former AFL footballer Liam Jurrah arrested again in Alice Springs

I agree that on face value, Jurrah would be far better off in Melbourne but I don't have an appreciation of how deeply he is entwined with his family. For that matter I don't have an appreciation of all that "family" means and the depth of that meaning to Liam's people.

I keep thinking of the great philosopher Edward McGuire's comment. "Sometimes you have to cut off your scaly mates". That would seem appropriate in Jurrah's case as the more he associates with his Yuendumu friends, the more erratic his behaviour becomes. Unfortunately with family, it ain't that easy to isolate the scaly ones.

Jack with regard to the "(former ?) mentor" I understand that Rudeboy was with Jurrah throughout the nine days of his trial so it appears he is still heavily involved with & committed to Liam.

Don't know Liam personally so can't say if he's a good bloke or not, but he's stuck in a catch 22. From what I can tell, with his background his family and land is everything to him, but because of events a couple of years ago it's all splintered and is what's causing him trouble. We can say being in Melbourne is what's best for him, being in Alice is what's best for him, jail is what's best for him etc etc, but IMO it seems like fixing his family is the only thing that can help fix Liam, and at the moment that seems close to impossible. I can only hope there is someone in his family that can bring them all together to sort it out, as it feels like it can only get worse.

Not many here really care about indigenous issues here in particular most of those who claim to defend him. Liam was one of three who were charged with violence last year which culminated in Liam's recent show trial. No one seemed to care much about his co-accused. They were incarcerated after the incident and forced to plead guilty because it was the only choice they had. Their trial was separate and they did not have the luxury of bail. If they pleaded not guilty they would have received much harsher sentences. There was no question that they would be found innocent. They were not afforded the gilt edge defence Liam had and no one supported them. Not as in THE THREE MUSKETEERS motto. "One for all and all for one". Where is the justice in that? Hypocrisy and apathy by the bucket load here.

Absurd, insulting and about as ignorant as you can get. How dare you presume to claim to know that those who defend Liam don't care about indigenous issues? I'll say no more about that than that, personally, the day I was most proud to be an Australian was the day in 2008 when Kevin Rudd delivered this speech and I've heard the same sentiment expressed by many others.

On the other matter, we might not be impressed by the way justice is dispensed in this country but Liam was entitled to the best possible legal defence and, in his case, he pleaded and was found to be not guilty. The others, I understand, accepted their guilt. I don't see how anyone could have a problem with that but if you do, I feel sorry for you. Perhaps, you might be able to understand if you could walk a mile in the shoes of people who have been oppressed and the victims of genocide. Unfortunately, you don't really care, do you?

Jack with regard to the "(former ?) mentor" I understand that Rudeboy was with Jurrah throughout the nine days of his trial so it appears he is still heavily involved with & committed to Liam.

Glad to hear that. I didn't think Bruce would have let Liam down. It was only that we haven't heard from him here recently and I was unsure whether he was still close with him.

@ Whispering Jack.

I can confer with the above. Rudeboy attended the entire trial and flew out just after. I spoke with Rupert who along with Bruce was very disappointed with Liam missing his Adelaide court appearance.

The book seemed to come out a bit too hastily. Liam was still a novice player when the book was published and he was no way prepared for the celebrity exposure that has

descended on him. The club did not help by exploiting his media value too. Like all were cashing in before it went pear shaped which it has.

Celebrity exposure? FCS, it's not like the guy went on a book-signing publicity tour through shopping malls. I'd be surprised if the book sold more than a couple of hundred copies, so the notion that it somehow threw him off course is absurd.

The reason for the excitement around LJ was not a result of the book, it was built on the sublime skills which we saw in the all-too-brief time that his star shined at Melbourne. That's what captivated the football world about Jurrah, and that's why guys like Flanagan - who probably wrote more words on LJ than BHM did - were naturally drawn to his story.

This notion that hype somehow caused his downfall is just nonsense in my opinion.

Celebrity exposure? FCS, it's not like the guy went on a book-signing publicity tour through shopping malls. I'd be surprised if the book sold more than a couple of hundred copies, so the notion that it somehow threw him off course is absurd.

The reason for the excitement around LJ was not a result of the book, it was built on the sublime skills which we saw in the all-too-brief time that his star shined at Melbourne. That's what captivated the football world about Jurrah, and that's why guys like Flanagan - who probably wrote more words on LJ than BHM did - were naturally drawn to his story.

This notion that hype somehow caused his downfall is just nonsense in my opinion.

I recall the pre-trial judge stating that it (hype and 'celebrity') most definitely had adverse effect on the situation Jurrah found himself in.

I recall the pre-trial judge stating that it (hype and 'celebrity') most definitely had adverse effect on the situation Jurrah found himself in.

I don't recall that but wouldn't he have been referring to Jurrah's celebrity status in his family / community ? This was certainly raised by his defence - the tactic of targeting the tall poppy in the community.

The point I'm making is that Jurrah didn't create - and certainly couldn't stop - the hype about him.. he was a star on the rise, and the story was a fairytale that was always going to accompany his career.

I don't recall that but wouldn't he have been referring to Jurrah's celebrity status in his family / community ? This was certainly raised by his defence - the tactic of targeting the tall poppy in the community.

The point I'm making is that Jurrah didn't create - and certainly couldn't stop - the hype about him.. he was a star on the rise, and the story was a fairytale that was always going to accompany his career.

How many stars on the rise have a book written about them? This thing is goulish. Not much different to that Pistorious guy. Liam has been treated like some form of circus freak jungle boy and I bet it was not his idea. Interesting that Cyril Rioli, coming from the wilds of the deep north, then going to Scotch College and consistently playing great footy still hasn't had a book written about him though certainly just a fascinating story as Liam's. The people around him have kept the lid shut on all the hoopla and haven't sold him out for cheap publicity with unseemly haste.

is anyone surprised at whats happened here? the Australian legal syetem is one of the worstr in the world, and the judges are absoutely pathetic and gutless

Just ask the families of Jill Meagher and Sarah Cafferkey, and others who have had their families toirn apart by human filth that is allowed to walk the streets among us thanks to the [censored] wig wearing clowns that fail to take rape and murder seriously and continually give out soft sentences for brutal crimes

Well said.

is anyone surprised at whats happened here? the Australian legal syetem is one of the worstr in the world, and the judges are absoutely pathetic and gutless

Just ask the families of Jill Meagher and Sarah Cafferkey, and others who have had their families toirn apart by human filth that is allowed to walk the streets among us thanks to the [censored] wig wearing clowns that fail to take rape and murder seriously and continually give out soft sentences for brutal crimes

If you honestly believe that our legal system is "one of the worst in the world" then you really need to get out, travel and see a bit more of the planet. Start with Indonesia and then maybe take a trip through the Middle East on your way to China.

You'll quickly change your tune.

• Like 5

If you honestly believe that our legal system is "one of the worst in the world" then you really need to get out, travel and see a bit more of the planet. Start with Indonesia and then maybe take a trip through the Middle East on your way to China.

You'll quickly change your tune.

And anywhere else. But in the end money talks everywhere. I had to bribe myself out of jail in the dark communist days of Eastern Europe. In Liams case it was a lot of money or self serving interests in lieu of money that got him out of jail. The legal system here works but works better if you have currency.

How many stars on the rise have a book written about them? This thing is goulish. Not much different to that Pistorious guy. Liam has been treated like some form of circus freak jungle boy and I bet it was not his idea. Interesting that Cyril Rioli, coming from the wilds of the deep north, then going to Scotch College and consistently playing great footy still hasn't had a book written about him though certainly just a fascinating story as Liam's. The people around him have kept the lid shut on all the hoopla and haven't sold him out for cheap publicity with unseemly haste.

Not saying the book was a good idea but the story is certainly one that is very different to the Rioli story as good as Rioli has been.

Yeah, just not the same since we abolished the death penalty. Pity we're not following the lead of some of the Muslim countries, nothing like a public decapitation or two to shake things up.

Just out of curiosity, have you actually read the book?

Just out of curiosity, have you actually read the book?

I have read excerpts. One of my associates brought back a copy from the book launch a couple of years ago and lent it to me. Whilst a great story there was certainly questions to the timing of the book then and we discussed the impact it may have on Liam being a young man completely unprepared for the modern world being thrust into the public eye. I would also add that other promotions by the club like the pilgrimage to Yuendumu by Jim Stynes and his entourage with the associated saturation media coverage was not helpful for his community. The Age like had a three page spread on it. A remote and very isolated community suddenly thrust into the spotlight of media attention could only have done harm. And I suspect that some of the intractablity to resolving Liam's and his communities current troubles are due to the unnecessary media attention that started then.

I note Collingwood did not make a big deal about him when he was there. We milked the whole story for everything and looks like another of Schwab's hair brained promotions which as usual back fired badly.

It sounds like you Muvver Jones would not be aware of the MFC`s glaucoma program which accompanied Jimmy`s trip to Yuendumu and which has helped reduce infection rates by 30 per cent over two years AND which is continuing and being maintained into the future.

It`s interesting that you invoke the name of a famous US progressive journal in your id but express such blunt, inflexible views.

I have read the book. I believe BHM (Rudeboy) was entirely genuine in writing it, but the title is the problem. It is more about BHM`s encounters with Liam than a comprehensive life so far tale.

• Like 1