Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Training - Friday 18th January, 2013 @ Casey Fields

Whispering_Jack

Thanks sooo much for the reports everybody!! :) :)

Beautiful reading - I know he didn't train today, but I'm so keen to see if Jeremy Howe takes the next step.

I think Jonesy will win a Charlie.

In regards to Howe, I think he will spend more time playing up the ground, from what I have seen at training.

He is super quick, great agility, and we know he can mark! He will be a really tough match up for other temas.

His field kicking, on both feet, is also really good. I rate him very high in the club in relation to foot skills, and I expect him to have a great year. Possible Top 5 in the B and F in my opinion.

• Like 1

Some good reports here, thanks.

wrt Rodan I wouldn't throw training and match day in the same basket. IMO he is just the type of player we need at training. Fast, experienced and hard to match up on.

His tank on match day has traditionally come under question as well as the defensive game. I just wonder with his style of play whether he just runs himself out of oxygen. He doesn't gut run to make space but when in possession he rarely uses the players around him, it is more often than not a burst run - in itself not a bad thing but some times it gets him in trouble and IMO uses up the tickets a bit as a result.

His type of play makes him susceptible to the rebound. When it comes off though he can be damaging. IMO he needs to temper his game not dramatically but just a little bit and use the mids around him a bit more without automatically launching himself all the time. Centre breaks fine, go the burst or spread but in general play some times it doesn't hurt to slow it a bit.

When players have speed they are expected to use it but a mature age player will feel it. At Port many of their mids have done their own thing over the years, good individuals without the synergy - Pearce is another example. Under Primus Rodan really had to earn his games and I suspect he may have tried too hard as a result in some aspects of his game and his game became a little one dimensional.

Whether this will change at Melbourne I dont know but just a thought.

Guest José Mourinho
He did a knee and unbelievably Richmond dumped him. I couldnl't believe it at the time. He went on to be a great player at Port and be a significant contributor to their premiership.

By the end of 2012 they have a new coach and are doing what Bailey did in his first year which was to say anyone who isn't here in 5 yrs has to go. No reflection on how he is playing footy at the moment. He came back from injury during the season and tore a few games apart as a super sub.

He will be great value. I have no doubt about it. Bit surprised he didn't make the leadership group.

Their premiership in 2004???

You are aware he went from Richmond to Port after the 2006 season..?

I have great faith that Rodan can contribute on-field, and will be an even greater asset off-field.

We lack experience, but we particularly lack experience in the middle.

Those worried about his attacking nature and historic lack of accountability for his direct opponent need to maybe consider his coach's instructions and his team's structural setup at the time had an influence in this.

Daveys turn around in perceived form so far this pre season has been tremendous. In the early training reports he was apparently the least fit, looking uninterested etc. Good on him for putting in the hard work!

Edited by LeBron James
  • Like 1

luv'n all the reports ppl and the positive vibe being felt on the training track is good medicine for all of us DEMONS..........Yewwww!

I reckon our coaching group is one of the better coaching groups in the league now. Neeld, Craig, Misson, Rawlings, Brown - on any construction, that's a bloody good group.

The training sessions seem to run with military precision. They seem to be very well organised - energy levels seem to be high. This is all good.

I also can't believe how effectively they've tweaked the list this year.

Imagine if we managed to pull off an Oakland Athletics revival circa 2002, and actually make the finals in 2013. I'd give the middle digit to every single person I pass in the street for three months straight after September.

Yep - it's not the flag. But it's not that long ago that we got thumped by 186 points in an AFL game - and, at that point, I had pretty much given up hope of ANY light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you Mark Neeld.

Good training reports by the way.

• Like 14

For some reason, Gilies reminds me of Clint Bizzell. Hopefully he performs as well. It could be hard to break into the backline, but if so Garland looks to be the player under the most threat.

That's an easy one. Throw Garland up forward.....

Oh that's right there's no room for him there.

I'd let this one go through to Neeld and co.

I reckon our coaching group is one of the better coaching groups in the league now. Neeld, Craig, Misson, Rawlings, Brown - on any construction, that's a bloody good group.

The training sessions seem to run with military precision. They seem to be very well organised - energy levels seem to be high. This is all good.

Imagine if we managed to pull off an Oakland Athletics revival circa 2002, and actually make the finals in 2013. I'd give the middle digit to every single person I pass in the street for three months straight after September.

Yep - it's not the flag. But it's not that long ago that we got thumped by 186 points in an AFL game - and, at that point, I had pretty much given up hope of ANY light at the end of the tunnel.

Thank you Mark Neeld.

Well said, Ron.

All of this coupled with a really enthusiastic group certainly gives me the hope and confidence that we're about to turn the corner, if we haven't already.

Edited by McQueen
  • Like 2

Thank you Mark Neeld.

Or a Melbourne 1954.

Well, some of us are old enough to have that dream, even if it's in scratchy black and white.

• Like 1

Thank you Mark Neeld.

Oh no RB I saw the light but I was convinced it was a locomotive.

Now I think it is a bloke with a torch

• Like 1

Stay away from the light, OD...

Interesting JR

I have a relative who suffered a heart failure and was revived by paramedics

Said she saw nothing.

Enjoying life then total blackout then conscious again.

No bright lights nothing.

I don't think we recruited Rodan to fulfil the role of a champion. Hopefully our early draft picks of the last few years will come to the fore and provide that. Rodan's there for a purpose however, and I believe that is to add some maturity to a list that is very much lacking in experience and games played. From what I'm told, he's already making a contribution at training and it's the little one per centers that someone like him can add to the group on and off the ground that helps you develop a strong and cohesive group with a decent culture.

I agree Jack.

Things we lacked under the Daniher days, & since are, Physical play,,, Urgency around the contest,,, moving the ball with intent,,, & general aggression for the game...

Rodan brings honesty, Urgency, nimbleness around the ball, enthusiasm, & a positiveness that we introverted clubs need in abundance.

He will be a handy acquisition for a couple of years, helping our young boys develop the right way.

Edited by dee-luded

What I meant by "established" was that he wasn't in PA's team last year as an automatic selection. He played 10 games for an average of about 14 possessions a game. PA didn't want him and I'm not upset that we've got him but I don't find any comfort in the fact that he seems to be reported as a standout mid at training. Personally I'd like to hear that others were well in front of him.

Some posts talking about how excited people are to see him just seem to me to be inviting disappointment.

If others are well in front of him Now, then we would have wasted a spot.

He is a hurdle player.

He holds a spot, gives plenty of all the good things, & is a good 'example hurdle', for our young fellas to learn to better,,, to get a game. as it should be.

We've cheapened the jumper in the past couple of years by throwing AFL games at kids who weren't ready & others who didn't deserve to wear it. Some are gone this year, go west young men...

• Like 1

Interesting JR

I have a relative who suffered a heart failure and was revived by paramedics

Said she saw nothing.

Enjoying life then total blackout then conscious again.

No bright lights nothing.

I didn't mean to be flippant OD....I was just using a line from an old film - Poltergeist.

Coincidentally, Kerry Packer cited the same experience.

Hope your relative's okay.

I attended training today and the highlights for me were:

I did not realise how quick and athletic Dawes was when the ball hits the ground. Reads the play very well and was the equal and better of oppnents in simulation.

Viney stood his ground when triple tackled and still got the handball out. Neil Graig said people will pay their money to see Jack play.

Toumpas although in the rehab group looks AFL size as does does Hogan.

The team looked very sharp - thanks to the coaching group. They were all involved in teaching and explaining what to do in various situations.

Watts seems stronger in the core.

Jetta looks stronger.

Dunn looks like Tarzan - he has put on heaps of upper body muscle.

Excellent, & about time re dunn.

lets hope the mass sharpens his mojo.

• Like 1

I agree Jack.

Things we lacked under the Daniher days, & since are, Physical play,,, Urgency around the contest,,, moving the ball with intent,,, & general aggression for the game...

Rodan brings honesty, Urgency, nimbleness around the ball, enthusiasm, & a positiveness that we introverted clubs need in abundance.

He will be a handy acquisition for a couple of years, helping our young boys develop the right way.

Too true - what we've lacked (that we had with Swooper Northey) was a great defensive game. Daniher was millionaire's row and Bailey...well, nuff said.