Hogan, Viney, Toumpas - What is their real worth?

Romey

I am interested in an educated opinion on where Hogan, Toumpas and Viney would have been selected in this years draft if there were no father son selections or mini draft. I am aware Hogan and Martin were eligible due to their age, but it would be interesting to see what order the top 10 picks would have been had O'Meara, Crouch, Daniher, Viney, Martin and Hogan were all available for seletion.

For what it is worth my guess is as follows:

1. GWS - Daniher

2. GC - O'Meara

3. Melbourne - Whitfield

4. Melbourne - Martin

5. WB - Crouch

6. WB - Plowman

7. PA - O'Rourke

8. Brisbane - Toumpas

9. Richmond - Hogan

10. Essendon - Viney

Knightmare has this years crop as follows

1. Joe Daniher (Ess – F/S)

2. Jaeger O’Meara (GC – 17 Y/O)

3. Lachlan Whitfield

4. Brad Crouch (Adel – 17 Y/O)

5. Jimmy Toumpas

6. Jackson Macrae

7. Jack Viney (Melb – F/S)

8. Oliver Wines

9. Brodie Grundy

10. Jake Stringer

He hasn't added in Hogan or Martin, but I read somewhere he has Hogan above Martin

• Like 1

I am interested in an educated opinion on where Hogan, Toumpas and Viney would have been selected in this years draft if there were no father son selections or mini draft. I am aware Hogan and Martin were eligible due to their age, but it would be interesting to see what order the top 10 picks would have been had O'Meara, Crouch, Daniher, Viney, Martin and Hogan were all available for seletion.

For what it is worth my guess is as follows:

1. GWS - Daniher

2. GC - O'Meara

3. Melbourne - Whitfield

4. Melbourne - Martin

5. WB - Crouch

6. WB - Plowman

7. PA - O'Rourke

8. Brisbane - Toumpass

9. Richmond - Hogan

10. Essendon - Viney

Could easily be

1. GWS - Daniher

2. GC - O'Meara

3. Melbourne - Whitfield

4. Melbourne - Hogan

5. WB - Martin

6. WB - Toumpas

7. PA - Viney

8. Brisbane - Couch

9. Richmond - O'Rourke

10. Essendon - Plowman

imo

Edited by Jordie_tackles

Knightmare has this years crop as follows

1. Joe Daniher (Ess – F/S)

2. Jaeger O’Meara (GC – 17 Y/O)

3. Lachlan Whitfield

4. Brad Crouch (Adel – 17 Y/O)

5. Jimmy Toumpas

6. Jackson Macrae

7. Jack Viney (Melb – F/S)

8. Oliver Wines

9. Brodie Grundy

10. Jake Stringer

He hasnt added in Hogan or Martin, but I read somewhere he has Hogan above Martin

That is how he rates them, also Couch below Viney and maybe Toumpas in this year draft

Knightmare does a good job, but he overrates Macrae and changes his mind quite a lot depending on the latest flavours of the month.

I reckon Quigley is a far better junior watcher than Knightmare.

I'd say that Viney was a top 7 selection. He's always been rated higher than Wines and it's worth remembering that Port bid pick 7 for Viney, although I acknowledge that was to keep us honest.

I struggle to think that the Bulldogs would have let Hogan go with one of their two picks if he was available, such is their dearth of quality key forwards, so my guess is we picked up three top 7 quality players. That's a great result from a draft that is acknowledged as being good at least at the pointy end.

• Like 3

This is Knightriders rankings for 2013

Looks like Luke McDonald is 2013 version of Jack Viney

1. Thomas Boyd (VIC - KPF)

2. James Aish (SA - MID)

3. Luke McDonald (VIC - UTIL NM F/S)

4. Jesse Hogan (WA - KPF) Melbourne via minidraft

5. Jack Martin (WA - UTIL) Gold Coast via minidraft

6. Matt Crouch (VIC - MID)

7. Josh Kelly (VIC - MID)

8. Jack Billings (VIC - FWD)

9. Matt Scharenberg (SA MID/DEF)

10.James Tsitas (VIC Mid)

they are worth the makings of a premiership.

Viney would probably be top 7 pick and Toumpas similar to that.

Hogan would definitely be a top 5 pick next year.. pre made beast.

This is Knightriders rankings for 2013

Looks like Luke McDonald is 2013 version of Jack Viney

1. Thomas Boyd (VIC - KPF)

2. James Aish (SA - MID)

3. Luke McDonald (VIC - UTIL NM F/S)

4. Jesse Hogan (WA - KPF) Melbourne via minidraft

5. Jack Martin (WA - UTIL) Gold Coast via minidraft

6. Matt Crouch (VIC - MID)

7. Josh Kelly (VIC - MID)

8. Jack Billings (VIC - FWD)

9. Matt Scharenberg (SA MID/DEF)

10.James Tsitas (VIC Mid)

I wouldn't read too much into that mock draft a year ahead of time as Martin, Billings and Aish are X factor players

who could quite easily go higher - or slip, due to the ceiling for improvement in their game.

Most their value is on potential and whilst it has worked with O'meara, a year is a long time in junior football.

Hogan, being a KP player - and one of not many at the top end of the 2013 lot - is a safe bet that he would be a top 5 pick at least.

Big watch on Billings next year for mine, if he progresses further next year he will push for pick 1.

He is a special talent, but like I said earlier - a year a long time in junior football and X factor type players don't always live up to their potential.

I wouldn't read too much into that mock draft a year ahead of time as Martin, Billings and Aish are X factor players

who could quite easily go higher - or slip, due to the ceiling for improvement in their game.

Most their value is on potential and whilst it has worked with O'meara, a year is a long time in junior football.

Hogan, being a KP player - and one of not many at the top end of the 2013 lot - is a safe bet that he would be a top 5 pick at least.

Big watch on Billings next year for mine, if he progresses further next year he will push for pick 1.

He is a special talent, but like I said earlier - a year a long time in junior football and X factor type players don't always live up to their potential.

Agree with that...

Until these guys get 60 to 100 solid games in them ,and prove to be injury free-they aren't worth wasting your time on pondering what they may be worth.

So my estimate is

Currently.

-200k a year .

Sorry to much.... guesswork, 4 me, time will tell. But damn they look good 4 the future.

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone's answers. I get the sense that the top 10 were rated pretty evenly after Daniher, O'Meara and Whitfield. Interesting that Knightmare does not rank this years pick 2 and 3 (O'Rourke and Plowman) in his top 10.

• Like 1

Thanks for everyone's answers. I get the sense that the top 10 were rated pretty evenly after Daniher, O'Meara and Whitfield. Interesting that Knightmare does not rank this years pick 2 and 3 (O'Rourke and Plowman) in his top 10.

Yeah I think considering the amount of picks GWS's had in the first round they overpaid for whom they got (exc. Whitfield). I won't argue against O'Rourke or Plowman but as rated all year I think Toumpas was ahead of O'Rourke and Plowman would of went between 6-10 (of the official AFL 2012 Draft), they obviously got him due to their need for another full back defender.

Btw, nice thread.

• 3 weeks later...

I didn't really want to start a new thread for new this - but I could have.

Factor a bit of intelligence and business nous into the equation - and I reckon our man is unquestionably at the the top of the tree.

Check out the list of VCE High Achievers in the paper - and there sitting right up near the top for Business Management is a certain Jack Viney from Carey Grammar with a cool 48!!

I don't know his ATAR score - but 48 for any subject ( 48 out of 50, that is) is damn good especially when you're heading off to Gosch's Paddock in the middle of "swot Vac" as Jack was.

Smart as well...................future captain !! Well done Jack

Edited by hoopla
  • Like 6

Sorry to much.... guesswork, 4 me, time will tell. But damn they look good 4 the future.

Yes, time will determine their worth and our work this off-season. Any rankings of players that weren't available are fraught and incredibly useless.

It's not a fun answer but its the truth.

I very much tend to agree.

Though for some reason a notion came into mind that if this were a movie, it might this one (of a certain franchise ) Episode IV: A New Hope