Losing draft picks in 2014

Norm Smith's Curse

I value my hair or what is left of it, so I'll cease from reading the entirety of this thread.

PS. Our player's didn't tank, and they didn't receive orders to go out and do so, nor was there motive to do so, if you want to widen the definition a tad (for CB).

Keep it simple. Peace out.

• Like 3

Have it on good authority,that the penalty will be coming down Nov 19th.

Do you think this is appropriate.

Adelaide Crows to be fined $300,000 AND LOSS OF 1ST Round AND 2ND Round PICKS IN UPCOMING DRAFT.

Kirk Tippett to be suspended NAB Cup and FIRST 6 Games of the 2013 AFL Season.

Player Manager Peter Bulcher to befined $100,000 , DELISTED for the 2013 season and all contracted players to Mr.Bulcher to be managaed by the AFL (Mr.Bulcher may re-apply after the 2013 season)

This is from bigfooty, and this post is from an adelaide supporter.

So our faith will decide in 19th too, if this is true

Where at all does this mention Melbourne?

How will OUR faith be decided on this date?

I am starting to doubt the security of JV.

IF we are found guilty and IF that punishment is before the 22nd, then taking away our first and second round draft picks will force JV back into the draft.

We gave up 26 for him, and then 26 was taken away. So we have no choice on the matter.

If the AFL are that harsh on us as a penalty, why would they bother saying "oh by the way, lets do the father son process all over again before the draft"

Scary times ahead for the whole club and its supporter base.

IF we are found guilty and IF that punishment is before the 22nd, then taking away our first and second round draft picks will force JV back into the draft.

We gave up 26 for him, and then 26 was taken away. So we have no choice on the matter.

If the AFL are that harsh on us as a penalty, why would they bother saying "oh by the way, lets do the father son process all over again before the draft"

No, dont you understand the system?

If pick 26 is taken off us then we will just use pick 49. The bidding is done and dusted, Port bidded pick #7 and we said we would use our next available pick (Regardless of what it is).

No, dont you understand the system?

If pick 26 is taken off us then we will just use pick 49. The bidding is done and dusted, Port bidded pick #7 and we said we would use our next available pick (Regardless of what it is).

Understand the system fine.

But the system is done and finished.

We used 27, its now gone.

Why would the afl say, "ok, lets open up the FS bidding again just for Melbourne" even after a harsh penalty.. wouldn't make sense

Why would the afl say, "ok, lets open up the FS bidding again just for Melbourne" even after a harsh penalty.. wouldn't make sense

We haven't specifically used 27, we used our next available pick after pick #7.

Yes it is currently 27 but if that's taken of us then what do you think it would then become?

And what is your source that 'its now gone'.

The AFL would not need to re-open the bidding if pick 27 is taken off us, it would achieve nothing as it has already been determined that the highest bid is pick #7

Edited by olisik

Firstly the difference between Adelaide and us is that our case is subjective and open to interpretation - I am expecting a please explain first and allow us to respond to allegations/claims/charges before considering a penalty.

If the AFL do bring down a penalty of loss of picks prior to this years draft then I would suggest we would argue that the rules are clear and we have to use our next live pick on Viney - you either let us keep Viney with 26 or take 26 off us and let us use our next live pick - you cant have it both ways - take pick 26 and Viney.

This is so muddy I just cant see the AFL taking action.

Firstly the difference between Adelaide and us is that our case is subjective and open to interpretation - I am expecting a please explain first and allow us to respond to allegations/claims/charges before considering a penalty.

If the AFL do bring down a penalty of loss of picks prior to this years draft then I would suggest we would argue that the rules are clear and we have to use our next live pick on Viney - you either let us keep Viney with 26 or take 26 off us and let us use our next live pick - you cant have it both ways - take pick 26 and Viney.

This is so muddy I just cant see the AFL taking action.

We haven't committed pick 26 to Viney. We committed our next 'live' pick after the bid. Regardless of what it is.

I advise a bex and a good lie-down for MFCSS. you should be feeling back to normal in a few hours

If not seek help urgently

WTF.

27 is not 'gone' and we haven't used it, the draft hasn't happened yet, unless they borrowed your Delorian.

There's no need to reopen anything, we only need to use our next pick after Ports, that could be pick 7 million and that would do. We just happen to have pick 27 as our next pick.

So if we lost our first 2 picks, we'd be losing 4 and whoever we would've chosen at 49. Viney is locked in.

Understand that.

• Like 1

Please help, been racking my brain, some sort of slitting or slashing maybe slicing, anyway, so I can work out if I'm afflicted, what is MFCSS?

Edited by 1 red eye 1 blue eye

Please help, been racking my brain, some sort of slitting or slashing maybe slicing, anyway, so I can work out if I'm afflicted, what is MFCSS?

Supporter Syndrome

It's when you fear the worst, even when something good happens.

e.g. "High five we just won a f^%$%n' flag! ...but hold on we probably breached the salary cap and we're going to be stripped of this"

• Like 2

how about we worry about it IF it happens and to me thats a BLOODY big IF

we have Viney they cant change that , he is signed sealed and delivered to us this cannot be changed no matter what pick we use at this stage its 27

Edited by markc
  • Like 1

Not sure the AFL can find us guilty and fine us without giving us a right or reply to their findings. This will hopefully take this past the draft period, penalties would then hopefully be applied to next years draft.

Of course the AFL could, but they won't. If they did, it would be almost certain we would get some sort of injunction in regards to the the draft. That is the last thing the AFL want.

Im not an expert, not even close.

But i dot think it would work to take this years draft picks away from the club.

What would they do with them? i.e. they couldn't give them to other clubs

they couldn't just move the numbers down the list so that for instance pick 5 now becomes 4, because at the very end of the draft it means there will be x more young kids that wot get drafted.

So that was my thinking that led me to think if its draft picks they take, it will be in future drafts.

If anyone knows anything different i would appreciate a second view.

To quote JohnMcEnroe.....ARE YOU SERIOUS

Agree. Pick 27 is a different issue than FS. It just so happens that in our case 2112, the two coincide. No other club has any mechanism for bidding on JV now that the FS bidding has closed. How could the AFL ever say we are going to take a certain player off us. That's ludicrous. We take him with our next pick

Can someone please enlighten me.

How many players do you need in a team not trying to win, before poor form becomes tanking?

There is nothing black and white or for that matter red and blue in this whole issue.

I have noticed that in some games some of the teams that are 20 points down with less than four minutes to go seem to my eyes to stop trying.

I believe this to be evidence of tanking - and also that the coaching staff are complicit by failing to tell their players to run twice as fast even if there is an increased risk of soft tissue injuries.

Just my opinion of course, but the games I'm thinking of had Collingwood in the waning position and they went on to lose all of those.

how about we worry about it IF it happens and to me thats a BLOODY big IF

we have Viney they cant change that , he is signed sealed and delivered to us this cannot be changed no matter what pick we use at this stage its 27

What would happen to Viney and all the other deals we have made if the AFL banned us altogether from this year's draft? Edited by BangkokDemon

It's just so lucky we have Mark Neeld.

I don't believe we should lose draft picks - I haven't yet seen ANY evidence that would justify such a sanction.

That said, because of the way Mark Neeld has restructured/tweeked our list this draft period means we are in a reasonable position to weather any storm arising from losing picks in 2014.

But I would be bloody infuriated if we were to lose picks simply because of a scurrilous media hate-campaign against certain people in the club.

I would go absolutely feral.

It's just so lucky we have Mark Neeld.

I don't believe we should lose draft picks - I haven't yet seen ANY evidence that would justify such a sanction.

That said, because of the way Mark Neeld has restructured/tweeked our list this draft period means we are in a reasonable position to weather any storm arising from losing picks in 2014.

But I would be bloody infuriated if we were to lose picks simply because of a scurrilous media hate-campaign against certain people in the club.

I would go absolutely feral.

Good on you Ron if you think that the coach will make a difference! Was it his coaching this year which has inspired you? Was it, perhaps, the new gameplan? Or the brilliance of our recruiting which enabled us to, effectively, buy 3 fellows who had been, or were about to be delisted? Or the pinpointing of our major weakness, ie, the midfield and the expert recruiting which has lead to the result that in R1 of 2013 we will have the same midfield as in 2012,except for Viney, but minus Moloney, our best and fairest in 2011.

Truly, without optimists this site would be dead. We need you mate

Let's be honest, we deserve to have picks taken off us. We've had high draft picks for most of a decade. How many more do we need??

Personally, I'd rather we just take our whack and get on with it. The reality is that taking pick 4 away would be getting off lightly considering we gained 1 or 2 (depending on how you look at it) by intentionally losing matches. The AFL should take pick 4 off us and move onto the next club. Having this thing hanging over our heads no good for a club that is finally starting to get itself together.

I can't believe that a committed Melbourne supporter could make a statement like this.

So you are happy to sit back while other teams take advantage of the draft rules by tanking away to their hearts content - only to accept a beat-up when we decide its our turn to put future development ahead of short term goals?

I gather that you didn't.sit through the Kreuzer Cup