The 2013 fixture thread

Bring-Back-Powell

Well, it could have been far worse. we just suck it up, play to win and hope for a better roll of the dice for 2014. Atm all games are winnable. I wont concede ANY are auto losses. We have to stop thinking that way. Its why we are where we are.

But , just at the moment its the least of our worries lol

First 4 games will be magnificent to get us started. I'm guessing we'll need to have 7 wins out of our first 14 to keep our supporters interested for the last 8 games! Regardless it'll be great to go to the G 12/14 weeks. Pretty happy about our fixture and it appears our away games against Brisbane, GWS and Adelaide will all be on FTA tv. And possibly the Brisbane game in Darwin too?

once again we play ess away at the G

look on the bright side...better than at that other funny place :unsure:

First response is it's an absolutely horrible draw financially. Horrible. Only 3 home games at the G against Vic sides (Coll, Haw & Bulldogs) and Bulldogs will be a worse crowd draw than North next year. A home game against North at Etihad is disappointing but offset against the away games at the G against Saints and Bombers.

Not surprised we play the Bombers away again - while we continue to get a home game against the Pies each year we will also get an away game to the Bombers.

No Friday games I can handle - until we prove we are not putrid on field I won't complain. 4 Saturday night games is OK including 2 I believe broadcast on channel 7.

From a football perspective there's no excuse to not improve dramatically next year. Return games against GWS, GC & Bulldogs should give us 6 wins straight up (though not counting any chickens yet).

Surprise, surprise we play at Geelong again. Who woulda thought??? At least we don't play them twice I guess.

Disappointed we don't get return games against North & Richmond.

12 of the first 14 at the G is great, 1 in the last 8 is horrid. Consecutive games in Geelong, Darwin, Docklands, Skoda & GC is pretty poor. Surely we could exchange one game from the start of the year at the G.

All in all our away games aren't too bad, at least we don't have to play WCE in Perth this year. That is becoming our worst draw next to Geelong at Geelong.

Will be interesting to see how the team responds (especially with the tanking [censored] hanging over our head) but I can imagine the admin side won't be too happy with this fixture (for the second year in a row).

?

He's saying that we don't get home games against Essendon because then there is the problem with how Essendon's home jumper clashes with ours, but their 'alternative' jumper also does.

This isn't a problem anymore, given they have the grey clash strip now, so there's no reason for us to not be playing Essendon in home games.

Surprise, surprise we play at Geelong again. Who woulda thought??? At least we don't play them twice I guess.

We'll play Geelong at the MCG when we play them twice in a season. That will happen when either Melbourne is as good as Geelong or Geelong is as bad as Melbourne but not while we play at completely different standards.

The draw is sort of seeded. Poorer teams player each other twice and better teams play each other twice. When you think of all the potential permutations and requirements, I think the AFL have done a pretty good job overall. I don't have to like every individual round (especially a home game at Etihad) but all in all, I think the AFL deserves credit.

• Like 2

He's saying that we don't get home games against Essendon because then there is the problem with how Essendon's home jumper clashes with ours, but their 'alternative' jumper also does.

Correct.

This isn't a problem anymore, given they have the grey clash strip now, so there's no reason for us to not be playing Essendon in home games.

True. If I recall, wasn't this a commemorative jumper? Ie. a once-off?

True. If I recall, wasn't this a commemorative jumper? Ie. a once-off?

It's got a 'heritage' theme but it's their regular away strip. In fact, read this:

"The heritage guernsey will be worn as the Club’s new alternate strip when Essendon is the away team against St Kilda, Melbourne, Port Adelaide and Richmond."

So, this really should no longer be an issue, I guess.

Edited by titan_uranus

The reason we don't get a home game against the Bombers is because we get a home game against Collingwood. As these are apparently the two biggest clubs, the AFL splits the home games against them for most teams (except of course Carlton and sometimes Richmond). While we host the Pies on Queens Birthday you can take it that we are unlikely to host the Bombers again anytime soon.