The type of club you want to support ?

Hannibal

In recent times a couple of posters have mentioned the type of club they want Melbourne to be, such as discussions of not wanting to go behind Ross Lyon's manager's back, etc.

Carlton just sacked a coach with a year to run on his contract, because they saw a better one out there.

Fremantle approached Ross Lyon directly and blindsided Mark Harvey, who also had a year to run on his contract, because they thought he could do a better job. Some here wouldn't like how they handled it.

AFL football is a ruthless industry and premierships are exceedingly difficult to win. And it's getting harder every year. I happen to hold the view that the only thing in footy that matters is winning flags and I want my club to do anything within the rules to win. In fact I want them to stretch them to their breaking point. If they step on toes great. If they're considered arrogant even better. It's all about winning a flag and stuff the rest.

I suspect that not all share that view. Many of you want respect for the club in how they handle varying situations. Far from a "nice guys come last" mentality, it's more "how you play the game" that counts. You want success too, but not at any cost. And not if it's done in a way that you don't respect. Ours is the oldest club in the land, it wrote the rules, and respect is as important as success could be your mantra.

Which camp are you in ? And do you even know how those presently presiding over Melbourne want to "play the game" ? Maybe you think that this is over-thought and that most clubs are pretty similar. If so, how do they ever stand out from the pack ?

• Like 1

I want Melbourne to be ruthless, unforgiving and do what it takes to win and achieve ultimate success.

As long as it doesn't involve cheating that will put us in the poo later (a la salary cap)

Don't care how other clubs view us, of if we start wars with the McGuire's of the world....if it's for the betterment of the club, then do it

It has been a long time since a "hatchet job" coach has come into a club and had instant success. Recent premiership coaches were at their clubs for 5+ years prior to success with the only exception be Scott last year, and Scott wasn't a hatchet job (i.e. Thompson Walked).

So when was the last time sacking a coach mid contract paid off with a premiership soon after?

Edited by PaulRB
  • Like 2

Great thread BH. After following this club for most of my fifty plus years I'm starting to get desperate for success. I like you don't want to be the nice guy that offends no one and always plays by the rules, and yet when I look to the other clubs that I admire the most, the one that always comes to the fore is the Swans. I know that this is a conflicted view and yet I can't help but be impressed by their club structure. I love their internal discipline and fortitude, on field they are a remarkably resilient club that takes it's limited resources and delivers way beyond expectation, including premierships. If there was to be one model in the AFL that I would most like to emulate it would be theirs.

• Like 5

I want a club that wins premierships.......simple isnt it?

Sort of agree Jonesbag

However I am not as demanding as you.

All I want is a club that wins more than it loses and is financially strong

The rest I do not care about

• Like 1

I want a club that wins premierships.......simple isnt it?

that'll do ^_^

Sort of agree Jonesbag

You dont want to continually win the ultimate prize and create a dynasty better than the one we had in the 50s?

I want us to be despised by other for our on field success and be envied by every other club with our off field success as well.

I want a club that despises defeat.

So much so that it makes them want to "SPEW"

The term "honourable loss" should be banned.

"Win at all costs" should be our mantra

• Like 2

Sort of agree Jonesbag

essentially, but Id really like to know what its like to win a premiership in my lifetime.

Winning isnt everything, truly, lol. But the abiltiy to compete and win is. Theres no real other reason for a sporting club( at this level) to exist other than to compete, and by so doing aspire to win.

Winning is the vehicle that can result in premierships and that is the prize after all.

• Like 2

I want the club to be ruthless, but first of all I want the club to build a platform for long term sustainable success; I believe we’re on the right track to do that. At the moment it wouldn't matter who coached us in terms of winning a flag, we’re currently miles away from that, getting Lyon or Malthouse would probably give the club some credibility but that's all. We need to sort out our list and that's what we are doing, then we need to see if the coach we have can actually do the job or if we then need to reach out for a more senior coach to add the finishing touches.

Who would have thought that Clarkson would have had the success he’s had, before he was appointed I would imagine that there were those that wanted a former Hawk to take over from Schwab, but it’s proved to be a master stroke giving him the job.

Both Carlton and Freo have pretty good lists and it seems the right way for them to go, the experienced coach way, but we need to build a list and the question that has to be asked is, would either of them be willing to do it?

If the team under Neeld hasn’t shown any improvement in 2 years’ time and we have what we believe to be a pretty good bunch of players then I’d have no hesitation in looking elsewhere.

If the current board sit on their arses and do nothing but spectate on the progress of the club, then we need to replace them, but that will sort itself out in the next 12 to 24 months

• Like 4

I want a club who demands 100% compliance from the players and if they fall even to 99.9% they are dropped backed to Casey. Players who give 100% each week...win, lose or draw.

Jesse Stringer from Geelong "allegedly" belted his Mrs and they suspended him for the season. In my opinion Jurrah should have been given the same treatment.

So the type of Club I want?? One with a SUCCESFUL CULTURE that only accepts the best. I don't want a team of champions....I want a champion team!

• Like 1

I want us to be ruthless, but cunning as well. The way Carlton have gone about their business with Rats is not the club I want to support, quick fix messiah option that I think (and really hope) will blow up in their faces. What Neeld is bringing in is what I want the club to be, professional and determined. Case in point is Neeld and Co flying to Brisbane, staying in crap accomodation and convincing Mitch that Melbourne as the right option.

Whatever is takes.

• Like 5

You dont want to continually win the ultimate prize and create a dynasty better than the one we had in the 50s?

I want us to be despised by other for our on field success and be envied by every other club with our off field success as well.

yes Jonesbag I do

However I seriously doubt that will happen this decade and that may well see me out.

I agree with BB and RobbieF above they probably cover my feelings.

In my lifetime I will settle for a strong team on and off the field that wins more games than it loses.

After the last 6 years

I crave a team that I know has a strong chance of winning every week and I can go to matches with the confidence

That we will win more than we lose and there will be few if any beltings.

that will do me.

Of course if something better comes along I won't be disappointed.

At present with our list that looks as far away as ever.

Go Dees.

• Like 2

I think the ruthless part has already started...Neeld has just about seen to that.

We Wanted Mitch Clarke & we got him last year.Freo thought they had him but no...we did.

The club has changed...financially we have the $$$ in the bank now & the club will use it the best possible way.Off field first.

We have turned the finances around very quickly...What takes north 12 months to raise $$$ takes us 1 night or a few hours..Not even Essendon can match this to date.

They had to ask the government for the $$$...We didnt.

What we need now players...and "BUY IN players!"

Buy in will come with Free agency I hope.

The only things i would ask for is MFC to challenge:

1) For a flag

2) All the people in the football world who doubt us

3) Anyone who dare put us down in the media

4) Biased media morons like Commeti who cryptically put MFC down during before or after games so not to offend..yes Dennis you do and I see right through it no matter how mutch you groveled to Garry Lyon during one game recently...

Ruthlessness its the key to it.

Loyalty is dissapearing even though I would like it to stay.

• Like 1

I want a club that wins when it's playing poorly.

I want a club that crushes weaker opposition.

I want a club that other clubs hate to play.

I want a club that when other clubs look at the fixture at the start of the year say: '#@%! We have to play Melbourne twice!'

I want a club that the League caves in to when we say: 'Clash strip? We don't need no stinking clash strip!'

I want a club that holds the most number of premierships.

I want a club that dominates the free to air TV schedule, the Friday night TV spots and any sundry TV ad that features footy.

I want a club that has the greatest number of AusKick jumper wearers.

I want a club that other clubs' supporters look at and say: 'Why can't we be like Melbourne?'

• Like 1

I want a club that is ruthless and does whatever it takes off the field. But I don't want a club that plays like pricks on the field. I don't want a club that plays like Hawthorn does, for example, in this Clarkson era. Kicking a bloke after you've tackled him to the ground...

I want a club that plays the way David Neitz did. Hard, but with honour.

• Like 1

I want a club that is ruthless and does whatever it takes off the field. But I don't want a club that plays like pricks on the field. I don't want a club that plays like Hawthorn does, for example, in this Clarkson era. Kicking a bloke after you've tackled him to the ground...

I want a club that plays the way David Neitz did. Hard, but with honour.

Hawthorn have won 10 flags since 1971. Can any of us truly imagine how cool that would be??
  • Like 2