The type of club you want to support ?

Hannibal

Oh! That's right I forgot that our list is so much better than theirs and Malthouse could walk in and win a flag next year.

Do you ever put any thought in to your posts?

Carlton's list isn't anywhere near as good as you obviously think - their midfield is their strength, but even that is showing up some problems - forward and back are issues for them. This is one reason why they didn't perform well this year.

Dude, are you following me around the forum?

Boring.

P.S.- I never said we weren't doing what I wrote. I am a 14 year member for a reason. Signed up yet?

hardly... just questioning your comments. Its a forum.

You like many others seem to be yearning for some fairytale solution. Its all take effort and pain.

My membership just rolls over thank you for asking.. Like that even qualifies as a reason or such to comment or not.

Carlton's list isn't anywhere near as good as you obviously think - their midfield is their strength, but even that is showing up some problems - forward and back are issues for them. This is one reason why they didn't perform well this year.

I don't "obviously think" their list is that good, but it is a hell of a lot better than ours and is much closer to a Flag than ours is.

If you were Mick's age, which would you prefer to coach? You just whinge about everything and it's starting to get up my nose.

Anything for a flag....

As for the current situation, both the footy dept and the board have made the right noises, but forgive me for being very sceptical. Seen and hear it all before. The only thing that's given me one iota of confidence that we may be heading in the right direction is the way Neeld looks like he'll be clearing out a lot of the deadwood.

As for the board, can't say I've seen squat.

• Like 1

There are some clubs that expect success. As a Carlton coach you know that it is demanded and if it's not forthcoming the sack isn't far away. Pokies king Bruce Matthieson, who was a Carlton Board member, screwed over Richmond by taking their machines away. Years ago Carlton tried to buy the North Melbourne Football Club. But they also got too big for their boots.

Collingwood also won't tolerate a lack of success for too long. Tommy Hafey was sacked even though he got them into Grand Finals in 4 of 6 years. He didn't win one and that was the end. Let's face it, Malthouse got his marching orders, but then won an unexpected flag.

Richmond were notoriously ruthless, but that merciless attitude has long left the club. Kennett tried to instill it at Hawthorn. He had a great coach in Clarkson, but he always kept him on his toes. Even though Kennett is a football dunce I quite liked the hard edge approach.

I admire clubs that have a unrelenting air of expectation to them. But there's a hard edge and there's also stupidity. Some clubs get spooked into decisions, such as Port when they sacked Primus and some would say Melbourne when they sacked Bailey; a decision I agreed with, but could they have handled it better ? Junior was another example of poorly handling a delicate situation. Collingwood farewelled Buckley brilliantly, while Lance Whitnall was embarrassed by Carlton.

I want a ruthless club, but I want one that consistently makes sound decisions and doesn't pander to the type of vocal nuffies that frequent here.

• Like 2

There are some clubs that expect success. As a Carlton coach you know that it is demanded and if it's not forthcoming the sack isn't far away. Pokies king Bruce Matthieson, who was a Carlton Board member, screwed over Richmond by taking their machines away. Years ago Carlton tried to buy the North Melbourne Football Club. But they also got too big for their boots.

Collingwood also won't tolerate a lack of success for too long. Tommy Hafey was sacked even though he got them into Grand Finals in 4 of 6 years. He didn't win one and that was the end. Let's face it, Malthouse got his marching orders, but then won an unexpected flag.

Richmond were notoriously ruthless, but that merciless attitude has long left the club. Kennett tried to instill it at Hawthorn. He had a great coach in Clarkson, but he always kept him on his toes. Even though Kennett is a football dunce I quite liked the hard edge approach.

I admire clubs that have a unrelenting air of expectation to them. But there's a hard edge and there's also stupidity. Some clubs get spooked into decisions, such as Port when they sacked Primus and some would say Melbourne when they sacked Bailey; a decision I agreed with, but could they have handled it better ? Junior was another example of poorly handling a delicate situation. Collingwood farewelled Buckley brilliantly, while Lance Whitnall was embarrassed by Carlton.

I want a ruthless club, but I want one that consistently makes sound decisions and doesn't pander to the type of vocal nuffies that frequent here.

Very well said BH.

I hate to say this because like Kennett I think he's a [censored] but we could do worse than having Ron Walker as President. We need someone who's happy to [censored] people off to bring about the desired result.

Don has done well given the circumstances of his assent to the presidency. We've overhauled the footy Dept, bringing in talented and experienced heads in Neeld, Misson and Craig. These men have acted ruthlessly to cut former captain Green, move on former B&F Moloney and put faith in the young onfield leaders rather then inferior but older ones.

The wheel is turning and team ruthlessness and hardness come from the decisions the new FD are making.

We're on the ride for the foreseeable so why is everyone fascinated with the 324th episode of the "Grass is always greener" coaching/president/GM/etc... debate?

• Like 1

So what sort of club do you think you have ?

Has the ruthlessness started ?

I thought they were pretty ruthless and proactive in securing Mitch Clark. Would you agree ?

Given the apparent cull forthcoming (which remains to be seen), and handling of players, changing leadership and addressing culture they would seem proactive once again.

With regards to Ross Lyon, Fremantle Board members were ruthless and in discussions with Lyon before the season finished; (few weeks before). Well ahead of the pack.

If we're to compete for the likes of best coach going around our club needs to be more cunning in such matters, but keep in mind we also need decent cattle to attract such goals.

Guest Rassilon

I want to support a ruthless and proactive club at the trade table, the free agency table and the draft table.

However, with the history of recruiting Clark I have a feeling more is still to come - I may already be supporting that very club that has yet to expose its full hand.

History shows if you are "ruthless and proactive club at the trade table and the draft table ." Premierships follow.

But you must get the order right ruthless, proactive actions in acquiring players in ALL forms of player acquiring (you cant over rely on one source) - quality invest inside your football department - time.

Go Dees

Edited by Rassilon

In answer to the questions, I don't really give a crap if the club is ruthless and vicious like Carlton or Collingwood, or a great big happy family like Sydney or Adelaide. All I want is a club with smart leaders that make intelligent decisions; and with that I expect success will take care of itself.

• Like 3

It would have been amazing if there had been internet forums when Blight took over as Adelaide coach. He walked in and immediately sacked two former captains in McDermott and McGuiness and senior players Andrew Jarman and Greg Anderson before they could even play a game under him. Their forum would have gone into meltdown and plenty of supporters would have thought their club was a total "mess". Imagine if Stuie, Jnrmac and others were Crows supporters at the time.

Perhaps the two premierships salved their wounds ?

Edited by Ben-Hur

It would have been amazing if there had internet forums when Blight took over as Adelaide coach. He walked in and immediately sacked two former captains in McDermott and McGuiness and senior players Andrew Jarman and Greg Anderson before they could even play a game under him. Their forum would have gone into meltdown and plenty of supporters would have thought their club was a total "mess". Imagine if Stuie, Jnrmac and others were Crows supporters at the time.

Huh??! Why am I being quoted in that?! I'll be disappointed if we lose Rivers, and I think Gysberts needs more of a chance before we decide what to do with him, but apart from that I think what we've done so far is move forward.

It would have been amazing if there had internet forums when Blight took over as Adelaide coach. He walked in and immediately sacked two former captains in McDermott and McGuiness and senior players Andrew Jarman and Greg Anderson before they could even play a game under him. Their forum would have gone into meltdown and plenty of supporters would have thought their club was a total "mess". Imagine if Stuie, Jnrmac and others were Crows supporters at the time.

Blight had already taken Geelong to 3 GF's before he walked in.

See your point but the present MFC situation is very different.

We only have faith to hang on to.

That said i would be doing the same.

• Like 1

Huh??! Why am I being quoted in that?! I'll be disappointed if we lose Rivers, and I think Gysberts needs more of a chance before we decide what to do with him, but apart from that I think what we've done so far is move forward.

You're a player hoarder aren't you, Stu ?

Nooooooooo far from it! I'm only concerned that we'll be able to get enough quality experienced players to replace the (varying) quality senior players we've either lost or are losing. I have trust in Neeld after getting Clark last year, but it's still a stressful time. So I'm not worried about what players we lose, just worried about who we can get.

Didn't Carlton just sack the coaching staff (minus one I think), appoint a new experienced coach, and are now looking for assistants and players? Hello!

thats what we did last year- you just dont like the choice of coach.

• Like 1

I'd happily support 'hoarding' a few more experienced types on the list for a couple of extra seasons if it prevents us from having a list full of <25 year olds!

For some reason everyone seems to think the club's restructure is Black and White, either we cut all the dead wood regardless of experience and age, or we are player hoarders who want to keep them all. Rubbish. Surely there’s a grey area in between where we can achieve our outcomes without massive amounts of on field pain. Same goes with the implementation of change from Bailey to Neeld, I still believe a happy medium could have been found where our on field results weren’t so bloody pathetic.

Demonland is getting very monotonous of late. Anyone who isn’t singing Neelds praises gets shot down and ridiculed by the usual suspects

I didn't think the previous coach was the right choice either nutbean, but some people on D/L think everyone is a Bailey supporter or a Neeld supporter - it's more significant to remember that the same people appointed both coaches. I doubt a Carlton would accept a double disaster.

It would have been amazing if there had been internet forums when Blight took over as Adelaide coach. He walked in and immediately sacked two former captains in McDermott and McGuiness and senior players Andrew Jarman and Greg Anderson before they could even play a game under him. Their forum would have gone into meltdown and plenty of supporters would have thought their club was a total "mess". Imagine if Stuie, Jnrmac and others were Crows supporters at the time.

It's a totally different situation BH and many years have passed since that time - good coaches rarely shout at their players these days, and in any case, many players are well qualified to answer back, if a coach did try that tactic!

Its funny how everyone want us to go out and do..........exactly what weve done :unsure:

Only some just cant see whats happening in front of them :huh:

• Like 1

Not sure if others have pointed out but in the interview with Neeld (Part 3 right at the end) He is asked what is it that excites him about the prospects of getting this Club up the ladder and he says "What we're trying to do...where trying to get a club that one has a ruthless winning culture and have players within the place that have a game styles that stands up in finals and be there for a period of time"

and thats the type of club I want to see us as.

• Like 2

Often I hear supporters (and players too, for that matter) say that they want the club to 'stand for something', to gain 'respect', to be 'ruthless', or some variation on these ideas.

That's fine.

But all I want is a premiership. One premiership. In my lifetime. If I get that, I'll be happy and all the losses we've endured won't matter. In fact, they'll only make it sweeter.

• Like 2