Brad Green on radio this morning

I think this also explainsthe rude shock a couple of others ave had when Neeld came on board. Neeld sa he would watch and judge upon what he saw and not what was history ( or reputation ) Intesrestingly enough he then totally recast tehe leadersip group.

Is it also to be drawn that this has shown up some supposed champs for hatthey are ..i.e Not quie as clevr as their self written tickets might suggest ?

I wish Green well and a successful future. He'll always be welome at the club Im sure but a panned out hi leadership didt really amount to much. Mind you hes not alne and I think this goes to the ideal of the FD to run a broom through the club.

It's interesting how some of the party boys have reacted - Col Sylvia has pulled his act together, whereas Beamer has not been able to. If there is a fitness issue at the base of this, then it shows how far back the boys are starting from. It will be interesting to see the experienced guys Neeld brings in.

This is where we have no insight into leaders and leadership group - we say we want X or Y in the leadership group because of what we seeof their on field exploits but off field is as important if not more so.

I want a leader that may not necessarily be the best or most skillful player in our team but a player that does everything in his power to ensure he has left no stoned unturned to be the best prepared to extract every last inch of talent out of himself and gives his all to execute this on field. Furthermore, I want a leader that leads on and off field by the example of how hard they are prepared to work but who also have the balls that if examples are not being followed by others voluntarily, then step up to the plate have the balls and take issue with player and demand that the player step up.

You may not be able to make a footballer drink after you led to him water but the leadership groups role is to keep his head underwater until he takes great bloody mouthfuls.

(way too many cliches)

Edited by nutbean

Haha I love the tanking part so great. I like how he is still travelling over to Perth with the boys and will be in the coaches box, hopefully next year he'll still be at Melbourne in some kind of coaching role or similar.

Love it how he said some people are suited to AFL and some aren't. If you don't wanna be there then just leave. Wonder who he is talking about? And yeah Liam Jurrah is probably gone.

Let me spell it for ya.....S.........Y..........L.........V..........I.............A

I find it amazing that a former captain would talk about his team-mates' lack of professionalism as though he had no power to change it. If it were me, I'd be saying "When I became captain of the Melbourne Football Club, I took it as a fantastic opportunity to stamp out any hints of unprofessionalism within the playing group. It took time, but I knew it was my job to guide the rest of my team-mates and improve their perfomance as much as I could my own."

Brad Green = Not a Leader.

No wonder we can't develop young players & elite players don't want to come to the Dees.

And this culture has been cleared out before, but then keeps returning. Can someone hazard a guess why/where it grows from.

IMO it's in/under the Carpets, it's mixed into the paintwork, it's in the cloth of the Suits. Brush shoulders, & the nice & friendliness gets you before the drink does.

The comfortableness & security is all disabling for a footballer.

I hope Neeld cuts a frigging swathe through the list. Cut the ones with inferior talent and trade the lazy pricks.

This club has had the worst playing culture in the AFL. I feel sorry for supporters that get emotionally invested in this rabble. The good news is that Neeld, Craig and co have had 12 months to formulate a plan to finally get players with talent and leadership into the club and [censored] off the dead wood. It can start with a third round pick for Moloney as compensation for FA.

I look at the Brisbane Football club as an example. We have virtually the same number of 100 game players. We have virtually the same number of 50 game players. Yet they'll finish on 11 wins. And this despite the fact that they had to embark on a major rebuild from 2006 after their premiership era. They have only 3 premiership geriatrics remaining on their list. What right do they have to be better then us ? FFS, our best player even came from them.

The reason they're better is that we've had one mid who has had a good year and they've got Rich, Rockliff, Redden, and Black. The first 3 have played between 50-100 games. Our only decent mid that has played 50-100 games is Trengove and he's had a disappointing year. All four of their best mids have averaged over 21 possessions per game. Grimes has played a mixture of back and midfield, but hasn't had a preseason as a mid. And they've got a far better playing culture with Brown still leading the way.

MFC = terrible culture, no stars, poor recruiting, and the worst midfield in the competition.

Thank God this year and era is over. I consider 2013 a fresh start and an opportunity to start getting thigs right.

• Like 3

I find it amazing that a former captain would talk about his team-mates' lack of professionalism as though he had no power to change it. If it were me, I'd be saying "When I became captain of the Melbourne Football Club, I took it as a fantastic opportunity to stamp out any hints of unprofessionalism within the playing group. It took time, but I knew it was my job to guide the rest of my team-mates and improve their perfomance as much as I could my own."

Brad Green = Not a Leader.

It's been a bit of a pattern recently Chook, but that's almost word for word what I thought when I heard those quotes from Green. Jarka may be right about leading a horse to water, but I'm of the view that most young people in an environment like that would listen if told by senior figures to pull their heads in. Especially if it was regularly being reinforced by the rest of the leadership.
  • Like 4

You don't know that, neither do i. The reality is that we have no idea what went on and don't pretend you do.

yep. Thats the truth....but I need to postulate, because I back them financially and emotionally want the dees back in it!

My suspicion is that the issues lay in a few areas. Bottoming out at the same time we were going broke. Coach unsupported by enough FD staff and finances. Clearing out previous solid leaders. Clash between Bailey and CS. Scully drama running on. 4 week long drinking holiday in China that may have condoned a certain type of behavour.

I think its pointless just pointing at the players or Greens leadership or CS or Bailey. We're all just looking for a single scapegoat and an easy answer when it may have been all combining to make a big toxic stew....a stew that was hidden by some big wins over crap teams, Stynes illness and the afterglow of the debt reduction.

I just HOPE with Neeld and Criag and Rawlings that there's enough experience, and they're given enough backing to turn this all around.

Ive said it before but I have to repeat...I got worried when we cancelled our high altitude training program this year and instead decided to go to darwin this pre season. I hope its not history repeating.

• Like 1

I hope Neeld cuts a frigging swathe through the list. Cut the ones with inferior talent and trade the lazy pricks.

I'd start with these 10.

Bate (not up to it)

Bartram (poor skills, injuries)

Bennell (pea heart)

Moloney (poor attitude)

Cook (Casey 2's)

Petterd (not up to it)

MacDonald (not good enough)

Davey (past it/dummy spitter)

Davis (not up to it)

Green (ret)

• Like 1

Jarka may be right about leading a horse to water,

I disagree - good organisations have good leaders that lead horses to water,cajole them to drink even insist with some force that they drink -but if they dont drink then the leadership group goes to the coach (if he is presumably unaware) and says that player X is not prepared to put in the hard yards that the other 40 players on the list are - hopefully the coach (and Neeld seems of the ilk) will say- play at Casey until you work as others do.

I led a company and was very easy going and would work to get the best outcomes but there was always the underlying bottom line which was "fifo"- fit in or f%##$% off.

• Like 1

I'd start with these 10.

Bate (not up to it)

Bennell (pea heart)

Moloney (poor attitude)

Cook (Casey 2's)

Petterd (not up to it)

Davis (not up to it)

Green (ret)

Add Dunn and I think we'd be on the right track.

I'd start with these 10.

Bate (not up to it)

Bennell (pea heart)

Moloney (poor attitude)

Cook (Casey 2's)

Petterd (not up to it)

Davis (not up to it)

Green (ret)

Where's McKenzie?

He's apart of the problem, yes?

Where's McKenzie?

is he ....lol ( sorry )

Add Dunn and I think we'd be on the right track.

Dunn scrapes in I reckon. Seems to be responding in a good way to challenges Neeld is throwing down to him.

Where's McKenzie?

I'll repeat for the last time. As key plank in the midfield, yes he's a problem. As a shut down player, he's still got a part to play.

is he ....lol ( sorry )

mckenzie bust his chops every game. if we are talking about proffesionalism, he has it in spades. Not the most sjkillful bloke going around but as suggested, he is one of the best shut down players going around. the job he did on goddard earlier in the year was sublime. the problem in the midfield is class. get a few like that in there and jordie can focus on what he does best.
  • Like 2

mckenzie bust his chops every game. if we are talking about proffesionalism, he has it in spades. Not the most sjkillful bloke going around but as suggested, he is one of the best shut down players going around. the job he did on goddard earlier in the year was sublime. the problem in the midfield is class. get a few like that in there and jordie can focus on what he does best.

what you say is true..

i was being a little too clever perhaps with rpfc..lol

It's been a bit of a pattern recently Chook, but that's almost word for word what I thought when I heard those quotes from Green. Jarka may be right about leading a horse to water, but I'm of the view that most young people in an environment like that would listen if told by senior figures to pull their heads in. Especially if it was regularly being reinforced by the rest of the leadership.

^^^