Bringing in new members

nutbean

A question without notice.

There are believers on here that our membership will die. I am a first generation member and have brought in two daughters to the MFC fold.

If each member brings in a wife, gf, bf or kids does that not mean we grow ? I understand that we need success to keep the members but I am of the belief that there is an underlying hard core of membership who stay the course and this grows and can also slightly shrink - the cream (to get to 40,000) depends on success.

I would consider landers the hard core members - how many members have you brought in ?

Edited by nutbean

I've recruited the following as signed-up members:

- wife (a former Footscray fan);

- 2 sons and a daughter (none of whom had a choice);

- daughter in law (former NM fan), although my eldest son probably had more to do with bringing her into the fold than I did; and

- a close mate and his son (both former rugby league fans);

I'm currently working on 4 grand children (I doubt that they will have a choice either, given the strong commitment of their parents).

• Like 1

Next years membership figures will be a real tale of truth. Coming into this season, there was still an air of optimism around the club's supporters and thus membership numbers didn't particularly decline. Next season will probably be a year of no finals chance so we'll see where we lie in 6 months or so.

I brought in a few Chinese mates. Only bought membership for one of them though, the other ones just tell people they barrack for Melbourne and would like the Dees on Facebook if it wasn't banned. I'll start spreading the word if we end up getting a presence over there.

Only basing it on my trips to watch games at the pub in Canberra, it's pretty obvious our membership is aging. Always me and a bunch of old blokes barracking for Melbourne and any young folk in there always end up barracking for the other team. Freo, Adelaide, Geelong, whoever. Think me and a mate are the only people under 30 in Canberra that go for the Dees. (I can't back that up)

I brought in my brother who isn't much of a footy fan but he is paid up and my mother who was a bombers fan but she is getting on in life and I told her if she wants to go to the footy and wants me to take her it would have to be as a Melbourne member. Now she is a die hard fan and would divorce my dad if Nathan jones was available. My kids had no choice who they supported and they love the kids memberships

• Like 1

Next years membership figures will be a real tale of truth. Coming into this season, there was still an air of optimism around the club's supporters and thus membership numbers didn't particularly decline. Next season will probably be a year of no finals chance so we'll see where we lie in 6 months or so.

Membership numbers will depend a lot on the off season. If a big fish is landed then optimism will spread once again. Plus viney and high draft picks will help and we will be front page news for some positive reasons.

All clubs have breed your own supporters/members(growth)...... If the club wants to tap in to the swing voters, it has to be successful.....

If we win game, we win support..... From new and old supporter/members.....

• Like 1

I have added to the membership my two children who adore the Dees and my wife who barracks for Essendon but supports the Dees

Not so sure about that wyl

on some occasions there are worse things than death.

The difference between you and me and is that you see a team that was once great and has been shite for the last 47 years. I barrack for a team that has always been shite as long as I can remember and will one day rise from the ashes.

But then, I have another 47 years to wait around for a premiership. Hopefully neither of us have to wait that long.

• Like 1

I'll go on record and say that barring the complete collapse of civilization, NO FOOTBALL CLUB WILL EVER FOLD, MERGE OR RELOCATE - EVER

I remember about 20 years ago a very good mate of mine, as passionate a footy fan as I have ever seen, declared that all members of football clubs should buy 2 memberships. That way the club's membership would double, and you could recruit a new fan by taking them to the footy using the 'spare' membership. Although he didnt support Melbourne, I thought it a great idea, and took out 2 myself for a number of years. Who did he follow?....... Fitzroy Lions.

• Like 1

The difference between you and me and is that you see a team that was once great and has been shite for the last 47 years. I barrack for a team that has always been shite as long as I can remember and will one day rise from the ashes.

But then, I have another 47 years to wait around for a premiership. Hopefully neither of us have to wait that long.

Yossarian I do not think your statement is actually true.

The MFC has not been shite for the whole of the last 47 years we have had a few purple patches.

However lets go with your theory

Why do you support them?

I have some good memories but you obviously don't

This is a genuine question I am not trying to be a smart arse.

why are you still here?

If it was as bad as you say for as long as you say I would be a member of Hawthorn.

I remember about 20 years ago a very good mate of mine, as passionate a footy fan as I have ever seen, declared that all members of football clubs should buy 2 memberships. That way the club's membership would double, and you could recruit a new fan by taking them to the footy using the 'spare' membership. Although he didnt support Melbourne, I thought it a great idea, and took out 2 myself for a number of years. Who did he follow?....... Fitzroy Lions.

But that was twenty years ago. Things have changed, and what happened to Fitzroy won't happen again.

The MFC has not been shite for the whole of the last 47 years we have had a few purple patches.

Why do you support them?

why are you still here?

If it was as bad as you say for as long as you say I would be a member of Hawthorn.

Like you, OD I've followed the dees for a long time. I also remeber the two purple patches since 64 - two grand finals. We had the shite kicked out of us in both.

Hardly something to hand one's hat on.

Why do you support them?

why are you still here?

I dunno, it's a good question. I started barracking for Melbourne when I was in school because Woewodin was my favourite player and have stuck with the Dees ever since. I don't mind that we're no good now because this is my team and I'll stick with them through whatever. The longer the dark patches go, the better it'll be when we finally come good. Just one of those tragic Dees supporters who loves them without anything rational behind I think. My family was big on sticking with your team regardless. So, catch em young enough, convince em you can't switch teams once you've decided and you've got supporters for life.

• Like 1

I dunno, it's a good question. I started barracking for Melbourne when I was in school because Woewodin was my favourite player and have stuck with the Dees ever since. I don't mind that we're no good now because this is my team and I'll stick with them through whatever. The longer the dark patches go, the better it'll be when we finally come good. Just one of those tragic Dees supporters who loves them without anything rational behind I think. My family was big on sticking with your team regardless. So, catch em young enough, convince em you can't switch teams once you've decided and you've got supporters for life.

Ok Thanks for that

I was just interested.

When on here I find it easier to take a lot of what is said with a grain of salt.

The pain does have an adverse effect on people.

I find a little comedy helps and for me admitting the truth can be very liberating most of the time.

Carn the dees

• Like 1

Ok Thanks for that

I was just interested.

When on here I find it easier to take a lot of what is said with a grain of salt.

The pain does have an adverse effect on people.

I find a little comedy helps and for me admitting the truth can be very liberating most of the time.

Carn the dees

Yeh, I respect what you have to say even if it comes across as somewhat jaded a lot of the time. Just find it interesting the different positions we come from.

Yeh, I respect what you have to say even if it comes across as somewhat jaded a lot of the time. Just find it interesting the different positions we come from.

Spot on I am jaded quite often

Hard not to be when you realise in round one that the year is going to be very ordinary

A player like Buddy Franklin would do it!

I chose the demons because they were called the demons and i thought that sounded cool at the tender age of three - i dont remember this, I just asked mum whether she remembered why I chose the road of dashed hope :) When i was old enough to understand the history of the club that added to the resolve.

Edited by Norm Smith's Curse