Discussion on recent allegations about the use of illicit drugs in football is forbidden
  • IMPORTANT: PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING

Posting unsubstantiated rumours on this website is strictly forbidden.

Demonland has made the difficult decision to not permit this platform to be used to discuss & debate the off-field issues relating to the Melbourne Football Club including matters currently being litigated between the Club & former Board members, board elections, the issue of illicit drugs in footy, the culture at the club & the personal issues & allegations against some of our players & officials ...

We do not take these issues & this decision lightly & of course we believe that these serious matters affecting the club we love & are so passionate about are worthy of discussion & debate & I wish we could provide a place where these matters can be discussed in a civil & respectful manner.

However these discussions unfortunately invariably devolve into areas that may be defamatory, libelous, spread unsubstantiated rumours & can effect the mental health of those involved. Even discussion & debate of known facts or media reports can lead to finger pointing, blame & personal attacks.

The repercussion is that these discussions can open this website, it’s owners & it’s users to legal action & may result in this website being forced to shutdown.

Our moderating team are all volunteers & cannot moderate the forum 24/7 & as a consequence problematic content that contravenes our rules & standards may go unnoticed for some time before it can be removed.

We reserve the right to delete posts that offend against our above policy & indeed, to ban posters who are repeat offenders or who breach our code of conduct.

WE HAVE BUILT A FANTASTIC ONLINE COMMUNITY AT DEMONLAND OVER THE PAST 23 YEARS & WE WOULD LIKE TO CONTINUE TO BE ABLE TO DISCUSS THE CLUB WE LOVE & ARE SO PASSIONATE ABOUT.

Thank you for your continued support & understanding. Go Dees.

Demonland

Just ridiculously dumb comments about Gysberts, and this is probably the worst, so far anyway... First game for the year and you want him traded?! FFS!

I think he is a talent and have said as much but injuries aside - he has not impressed those at the club. And we all want him to improve and become what he promises but sometimes it doesn't work out and the fact he had the worst fitness at the club at the start of this season wasn't a great sign.

He will most likely be here next year but he has it all in front of him.

Having watched a replay I now agree they were the two best but I am continually frustrated that when melbourne wins we never have three vote getters. When we lose we never have a vote getter in any of the major comps. Has been happening for years.

It would just follow that when we win we need a team effort. We don't have stars, we can't carry too many.

Well, that's good to hear, Robbie. There were reports on another thread about it. Glad it either didn't happen, or was a minority of "supporters".

I'd like to think we can leave the eating of ones own to some other clubs I won't mention.

Can't speak for all sections of the crowd, but where I was sitting (fairly close to the Melbourne bench) we could all see that Cale had done some serious damage to his shoulder.

The general vibe around us was that it looked bad and I don't think anyone likes to see it happen to any player.

At least they were able to take him straight off the ground into the rooms. It must have been bloody painful.

Well it was a relief to win because its a week where we wont be in the media for losing. It would have been diasterous if we lost. It was nice to hear the song after the game and it was a nice sight to see people on the G having kick to kick.

The game was finished off with a nice Howe mark and goal and so happy for brad green to kick the goals again. Would like to see him back it up next week.

Doesn't matter where he was picked he is a chance to be traded and is very lucky he has another year on his contract - he has not impressed the new regime.

Pretty hard to impress when you've had a broken ankle, come back in the VFL and then break your jaw.

He is struggling and has all year, it is great to see him pick up 5 but his time is coming - he may not want to be around playing in a forward line that has moved past him. Make a forward line in your head and ask whether Brad would be first picked.

His form last year and early this year was horrible, but I think since coming back into the side the last few weeks he has been playing well and presenting a target up forward. He may not end up being a starting 6 in our forward line next year but would make a good depth player for us (which considering the injuries we always seem to suffer will be required).

Edited by Dr. Gonzo

Pretty hard to impress when you've had a broken ankle, come back in the VFL and then break your jaw.

His form last year and early this year was horrible, but I think since coming back into the side the last few weeks he has been playing well and presenting a target up forward. He may not end up being a starting 6 in our forward line next year but would make a good depth player for us (which considering the injuries we always seem to suffer will be required).

I am talking about the PS where he didn't impress.

I would keep him and I am hopeful nothing happens in October and that he has a huge off-season.

But he hasn't impressed and that is just the way it is.

Well, that's good to hear, Robbie. There were reports on another thread about it. Glad it either didn't happen, or was a minority of "supporters".

I'd like to think we can leave the eating of ones own to some other clubs I won't mention.

It was clear to those sitting near the bench he had injured himself. He went down into the race clutching his wrist/arm. A couple of minutes later it was announced he was subbed off and there seemed to be some cheers go up from the southern stand side near where the cheer squad was. Wasn't overly loud or anything, but then again there was only 18K there today.

I am talking about the PS where he didn't impress.

I would keep him and I am hopeful nothing happens in October and that he has a huge off-season.

But he hasn't impressed and that is just the way it is.

Fair enough - there was an instance today (last quarter I think) where he was around a contest near the 50 metre line HBF and he was clearly out on his feet, could barely raise a trot. The runner came out to him a minute later, don't know what he said probably something like "c'mon mate, there's only a few minutes left". It does make it hard to build your fitness when your constantly battling injuries though. He's basically at square one (had injuries last year as well from memory so it's not surprising that he had a crap PS).

That was one of the worst wins I can remember.

We were appaling through the middle, and were saved only by GC having virtually no forwards, and a terrible backline.

Had we put on the same display versus Hawthorn today, we would have lost by 120 points, and to me, that is the only thing that matters.

We are not competitive, we simply don't have a midfield (with the exception of Jones), which is good enough to beat any serious sides.

Howe, Tappy, Jones and TMac made me slightly less apathetic about the game, but otherwise, I would have enjoyed an afternoon nap just as much.

This season is so dead to me, I am literally counting down the weekends until it ends.

P.S.- if anyone reading this cheered when Morton was subbed off, please uppercut yourself immidiately, you heartless troll!

Edited by Jaded
  • Like 3

That was one of the worst wins I can remember.

We were appaling through the middle, and were saved only by GC having virtually no forwards, and a terrible backline.

Had we put on the same display versus Hawthorn today, we would have lost by 120 points, and to me, that is the only thing that matters.

We are not competitive, we simply don't have a midfield (with the exception of Jones), which is good enough to beat any serious sides.

Howe, Tappy, Jones and TMac made me slightly less apathetic about the game, but otherwise, I would have enjoyed an afternoon nap just as much.

This season is so dead to me, I am literally counting down the weekends until it ends.

P.S.- if anyone reading this cheered when Morton was subbed off, please uppercut yourself immidiately, you heartless troll!

Hit the nail on the head. Went with my brother who's a eagles fan and he couldn't believe the standard of football in front of him. I heard some cheers for Morton being subbed off and couldn't believe it.My brother is also praying Brad Green gets the ass so west coast can pick him up. As he said a gun forward with a gun midfield giving Green some service out of the midfield would make Green All Australian in 2013. Big call but it's hard to argue.

Well today I went to what may be my last game for the year.

Go Dees

ThanksOD for an interesting review.

Due to not having the car until 12.45, I arrived at my seat 3 minutes into the second quarter with the score 48-2, so if it felt like a loss to me, it's because we were outscored 64-60 in my presence. I take full responsibility for the last three quarters.

• Like 2

I think he is a talent and have said as much but injuries aside - he has not impressed those at the club. And we all want him to improve and become what he promises but sometimes it doesn't work out and the fact he had the worst fitness at the club at the start of this season wasn't a great sign.

He will most likely be here next year but he has it all in front of him.

Ok, so show me a direct quote where someone from the MFC coaching staff said they weren't impressed with Gysberts?

Stop making stuff up and stating it as fact, that's my biggest gripe with 'Land.

Traditionally tagging Ablett is a way to teach players about how to move and find the ball in tight spaces. There is nobody better than Gary Junior at the moment and a lot of clubs are giving the run-with role to promising youngsters as a learning experience. Could this be an indication that the coaches like Morton?

or maybe wanting to see if he has any qualities at all?

Couldn't get to the game - what and when was his injury?

It was clear to those sitting near the bench he had injured himself. He went down into the race clutching his wrist/arm. A couple of minutes later it was announced he was subbed off and there seemed to be some cheers go up from the southern stand side near where the cheer squad was. Wasn't overly loud or anything, but then again there was only 18K there today.

I was in my usual spot on the outer of the southern stand and there was a bit of noise when it was announced Morts had been subbed off, but to be fair, no one in that area had any idea he was injured, most thought he had just been subbed off because Gazza was killing him, and the noise was more kind of groans and bemusement, not cheering.

• Like 1

I only listened on radio, but it sounded like Ablett was dominant early (and not surprisingly, given the quizzical decision to put Morton on him), but faded dramatically when Magner came on.

No argument over Harley for BOG, but you usually have to pretty special to feature in the best in a losing side.

Maybe they would trade our Bennell for theirs, and we could throw in Morton too.

Sounds a very fair trade....to me.

Contracted for next year, so is it a career ending injury, did he put in a weak effort again before injury and it looks like he's out of ticket finally? What would make you done at MFC?

Cale dislocated his shoulder, but apparently the doctors were able to put it straight back in, so the extent of the damage may only be minor.

Fair to say Ablett was running circles around Morton, as he has done around many players for many years.

He is simply a freak.

Contracted for next year, so is it a career ending injury, did he put in a weak effort again before injury and it looks like he's out of ticket finally? What would make you done at MFC?

Didn't think about his contract status, but it really felt like Neeld threw him to the wolves today (Gazza Jnr) and said "here you go son, last chance", and TBH the injury probably saved him a little in a strange way, just my impression or "vibe" if you will, but something told me it was his last proper chance and he didn't nail it.

Was a bit meh.

Easy win, opposition were horrible.

Harley Bennell was great to watch.

Liked Howe and Tapscott's games.

Blease needs to ease off the caffeine, settle a bit, and use some brains.

Best thing was seeing the likes of Jamar, Jurrah, Watts and Clark walking around level 2, it was a reminder of the class we will be able to add back to the team next year.

Gold Coast are miles off.

In a year such as this any win is a good win. Stats were interesting as they matched us in most of the key stats at half time (and at the end really) but we were up by 8 goals. For instance they had more inside 50's.

I thought that in the first quarter and a half we moved the ball into our forward line the best we have for ages and our back-line worked really well together. There were some really well weighted kicks to position and only one on the full (a record for us this year)

I liked the game of Spencer and thought Sellar was ok. Moloney was hopeless. I hardly ever bag players but couldn't help giving him a couple of (small) serves. A player can't really help being slow but jeez he's a plodder this year and a couple of his efforts were slow of thinking and half hearted.

Blease was good in spurts and could be the small forward we need as he reads the ball well and has the pace. But defensively he still has alot of work to do. A couple of times he just jogged along as GC moved the ball when a full on chase was in order.

Nice to see Green marking and kicking well.

Howe was a highlight, he has such great hands. Jones keeps getting better in my book. His evasion skills have improved and as i have noted before his kicking has improved out of sight,. he nailed a couple of bullets today. Fantastic both have re-signed.

All in all, whilst the last quarter and a bit was pretty poor i thought we played pretty well. I was reflecting that it was heaps better than the woeful game against them near the end of last year. The line was 25 points and we near doubled so well done dees.

Edited by binman
  • Like 2

- Moloney Played a good game equal second in Positions for the dees.

- Trengove struggling, an average game, did a few nice things but compared to the co captain he was ordinary. Perhaps this is his Third year blues year.

Sure not playing like a number 2 draft pick.

Green Five goals 250th game came one week early. I would give him another year if he wants to go on.

We have so few senior players They can both contribute in 2013 to help the kids develop.

I saw it differently. When Brad Green kicked his fifth, he was mobbed by delighted team-mates. He'd lifted everyone Wonna-style after his third. Greeny is providing leadership in the team-bonding that we need so badly. Right at the end, Green to Howe was wonderful - without hesitation, he was aware of where his team-mate was and he had faith in his team-mate to take the hanger. Team-lifting faith, I reckon. Should be more of it - and when Watts gets back, I want to see the team counting on his skills and decision-making to a greater extent than they did for two years. This is wonderful stuff from Greeny, mature and constructive, and team-focused. What's more, his marking today was as good as it ever was, with his kicking improving too. Definitely a keeper for mine.

Huge contrast with Moloney, who seemed to me to be lost. No sense of the team, no awareness of where his team-mates are or what they are capable of doing, and with no expectation that they can be counted on, he fiddles around looking for something that he trusts... Moloney isn't contributing anything to the kids, as far as I can see, unlike Greeny, whose example is so right.

And Trengove looked the real goods to me - contested, marked, knew when he had to go - looks a real captain in the making.

I enjoyed the game. We were smashed in the midfield; which in a 25-goal game is a lot of head starts the Suns got; yet we held them in our backline, and scored nicely ourselves especially given that we really are badly undermanned. If you take out the absolutely dominant Ablett and Bennell, Gold Coast would barely have scored at all, so that you could say we basically beat our man and their team everywhere else on the ground. Nothing brilliant, but solid, with some good things continuing to emerge. Joel McDonald really does some good stuff. Jones is a gun - very sure and decisive. Blease is exciting, and will eventually get his act under control - reminds me of Yze's early games, or Farmer's, with the rush of blood dumb things - they'll go with experience, for sure.

Edited by robbiefrom13
  • Like 3

After quarter time we won 66 to 64. Hardly convincing.

Pathetic when they had two players unable to take the field PLUS Rischitelli and Hunt were heavily injured and virtually ineffective.

Don't get carried away with this win. There were some good signs but we played like crap after quarter time. Not sure what the rotations were - where can I find that??

Not sure where the good signs are. What were the clearances in the end? At one stage they had a ridiculous lead on us in that department. Sorry to be a downer, but we've seen this all before. Roll the weak interstate teams at the 'G. Nothing good in this at all. Green takes a couple of easy marks that were telegraphed to his chest and kicks five, celebrating his fourth like he'd kicked the winning goal of a Grand Final. Christ, cringeworthy. Do it against the decent teams, not just the predictable ones.