See you later ... Bater?

Range Rover

Should've let him go last year. Whatever the role Neeld had him penned in for hasn't transpired (we can say that about most of the team) and he's only managed to show a couple of glimpses.

Agreed that he will be on the march come seasons end.

• Like 1

Has great hands!

Thats is all!

No speed...gets caught alot..in & out of the side constantly because of inconsistant form...

The AFL game is fast now....he belongs in the top rung of VFL at best IMO.

Good player but not up to AFL and needs to be culled.

Only reason he didnt go was because a deal couldnt be cut IMO.

We will find out at the end of the year wont we..

I'd suspect will walk to Western Bulldogs as a free agent.

Assuming the Doggies still want him.

As with all the 'experienced' players on the list Coach Neeld has given Bater plenty of opportunity to show what he's got to offer and he's come up with not much at all.

Like Morton, for different reasons, the game has gone past him and VFL or S. Aust beckons

Assuming the Doggies still want him.

As with all the 'experienced' players on the list Coach Neeld has given Bater plenty of opportunity to show what he's got to offer and he's come up with not much at all.

Like Morton, for different reasons, the game has gone past him and VFL or S. Aust beckons

I think the Puppies Bus may have passed him by also now.. If there really was mauch to write home about surely we would have seen it bynow, and mor ethe point surely Bates would have showcased it too.

The reality is hes a decent enough player but without too much to get wildly excited about. He's improved some areas of his game but almost at the expense of others. I sense hes hit his celing. Possibly the Dogs were interested previously with an eye to possiblky bettering him in certain areas but possibly hes now beenb exposed as a finite quantity.

But as suggested ealier if you cant break into this team currently then wtf !!

times up

Really annoys me that we didn't let him go to the Dogs last year.

It would have been a win for both clubs.

I feel very sorry for Bater. He wanted to go, and we asked him to stay, and now it looks like it's all been for nothing. He is no midfielder, and would have had better success as a forward at the Bulldogs who are lacking fire power.

Stupid decision by the club IMHO.

I reckon he is safe.

Matchups wise we don't need him with Magner and Couch in the side. Plus Dunn had to come in, it'll be a real slog up there and he will be fresher for the one week break

And Jetta deserves a go too.

Bate has played pretty well this year, Moloney, Pettered and I dare say Bennell are ahead of him on the chopping block

Another in a long list of duds that soaked up games, took paycheques and repaid years of faith with absolutely nothing. Meanwhile, we lose plenty of games by plenty of goals. He's not far behind Brad Miller who is at the top of this list... at least Miller wasn't a first round draft pick for Christ's sake. See ya.

Edited by Curry & Beer

Hopefully the Bulldogs are still keen to give him a go.

My problems with Bate have always been his speed and agility, and also his handling below his knees. It all made him a little one-dimensional when a player his size needs to be a little more. Has given his best, but for whatever reason himself and the club was unable to fix these obvious flaws in his game.

Another in a long list of duds that soaked up games, took paycheques and repaid years of faith with absolutely nothing. Meanwhile, we lose plenty of games by plenty of goals. He's not far behind Brad Miller who is at the top of this list... at least Miller wasn't a first round draft pick for Christ's sake. See ya.

That is a pretty disrespectful way of putting it C&B. There is a difference between not putting in the effort and simply not being good enough. From what I have heard, Bater works very hard at his game but it looks like he is simply just not good enough.

As it seems you are so keen to point the finger and place blame, I would suggest better places to look are at those who drafted him so high, those that couldn't develop his game, those who kept picking him and those who kept giving him contracts. Do you expect him to say 'no coach, don't think I'll play this week. Don't think I'm really up to it'.

I think you will see Bate playing 200 plus AFL games. He has been played at half forward in a team that cant kick properly .He looks more effective on ball.Deceptively effective player who gains us 60-70 metres and makes the right decisions with the ball .I admit he looks ugly when he tries to wheel back on his left foot .I wish he was played on the left side of the ground when at HFF .I hope he stays .

I don't blame Melb for keeping him. It's not unusual for a new coach to want a look at all of the players at his disposal.

He's given him every opportunity, but he's simply not good enough. He's not good enough in the midfield and he's not good enough on a forward flank. There's no point hoarding players that won't take you to the next level.

• Like 5

That is a pretty disrespectful way of putting it C&B. There is a difference between not putting in the effort and simply not being good enough. From what I have heard, Bater works very hard at his game but it looks like he is simply just not good enough.

As it seems you are so keen to point the finger and place blame, I would suggest better places to look are at those who drafted him so high, those that couldn't develop his game, those who kept picking him and those who kept giving him contracts. Do you expect him to say 'no coach, don't think I'll play this week. Don't think I'm really up to it'.

I agree. Bater tried real hard. Its more an indiction of how poor our previous training and FD have beeen. Edited by why you little
  • Like 1

The problem for some players is the current regime demand more multi dimensionality

in players amd some just don't have it.

No the team has been putting up the ridiculous material lately.

Gysberts pick 11. Cook Pick 12. Now that is ridiculous.

What a great footy mind you must have WYL Gysberts ....injured most of the year so there goes your match fitness and confidence....Is just back into matches.......Cook ....injured early in the year and is building a body to cope with AFL footy.....Sorry that the footy club is not up to your expectations just yet......As your prievious posts state.....Must be the 1/Club 2/FD 3/Recruiting 4/boot studders 5/jumper washes 6/Anyone else you can think of to blame...