MFC Reserve side.

There is nothing wrong at all with our alignment with Casey at the moment. Bringing up the past to support an argument about the future is all well and good when it is appropriate but it is not so with Casey prior to this year. If you have been to Casey games, you will see Casey playing the same game plan that MFC are trying to play. The new development coaches that MFC have added to the staff this year are, effectively, assistant coaches at Casey. Both Casey and MFC are on the same page. Brett Lovett was obviously given this brief, and is doing it very well.

Then there is the bigger picture. Casey is the fastest growing municipality in the country. Casey Council and MFC have spent a lot of money upgrading Casey Fields. Casey is a big part of our future.

I realise that things change but I am not about advocating the club shits in its own nest by mindlessly following what it perceives to be the current trend.

Pretty sure WA has a heap of municpialities growing faster, also Queensland and In VIC Wyndham Vale

But i support your sentiment, Casey is a growth suburb and has a huge potential for MFC to grow into

Pretty sure WA has a heap of municpialities growing faster, also Queensland and In VIC Wyndham Vale

But i support your sentiment, Casey is a growth suburb and has a huge potential for MFC to grow into

Yeah, it was at one time, not sure about the moment. When I go to Casey, I take the freeway all the way to C407, and come in the back way. It is quite amazing to see all of the new housing estates going in on both sides of the road where, previously, there were cow paddocks.Even after you turn right onto the road where Casey Fields is, the new housing going in on both sides of that road is impressive as well.

i am not advocating we walk from Casey at all....But we need a fully alligned reserves side...Why?

Because that is what the top sides in the comp demand, and i want the MFC to be one of them.

The Hawks seem to go ok without one...

Once again, West Coast do not have one. The WAFL doesn't let them. They seem to go okay.

Yep. Fair enough. Nobody's suggesting that only teams with Reserves sides will do well, but it probably helps.

Let's be honest. The Fev debacle notwithstanding, Casey IS essentially an MFC reserves side. Brett Lovett as coach, playing a similar game style to the 1st's; the selected team for Casey this weekend has 5 of the back 6 and 4 of the 6 forwards as MFC listed players.

And IIRC, wasn't Cook injured for much of last year, therefore rendering the Fev situation pointless?

• Like 1

Im happy enough with the current situation. I cant see anyones career being stifled at the moment for want of opportunity etc.

Of all ppI couldnt see Lovett impeding the MFC.

• Like 1

i am not advocating we walk from Casey at all....But we need a fully alligned reserves side...Why?

Because that is what the top sides in the comp demand, and i want the MFC to be one of them.

What, you mean like West Coast and Hawthorn?

• Like 1

Ideally we have our own reserves side playing out of Docklands, but that's a long way away.

Ideally for what? What about support base development and fan catchment in Casey?

What, you mean like West Coast and Hawthorn?

I don't care what other clubs do. Casey are great and we seem to have a good relationship with them. But VFL clubs are slowly losing sponsorship and $$$.

Is it in our best interest to keep Casey or too have a stand alone side? I would prefer the latter and would happily pay an extra membership levy to cover it.

Guest José Mourinho

Geelong & The Filth are the template we must not lose track of. Players slide in & out of the 2 sides seamlessly.

Ok...

I don't care what other clubs do.

Wait... What??

• Like 2

I don't care what other clubs do. Casey are great and we seem to have a good relationship with them. But VFL clubs are slowly losing sponsorship and $$$.

Is it in our best interest to keep Casey or too have a stand alone side? I would prefer the latter and would happily pay an extra membership levy to cover it.

I think Casey has been a great partner for us.....Gives us a pre season ground......Have a lot of junior clinics for budding MFC jrn memberships....Is the fastest growing suburb of Melbourne.....Has a coach that is a former MFC player and is part of the senior coaching panel...And we have a contract with them for the next 20 years.....A great move for me...

World first: WYL contradicts himself. I've never known a person who forgets his own argument so much. It's pretty comical.

Comon nasher, you know he meant he doesn't care what other clubs don't do.

He wants us to be the best, at the leading edge of things. As we should be.

His main argument was that he wanted a reserves side because the leading clubs do. When challenged with the West Coast example, he said he didn't care what other clubs did. That is a complete and utter contradiction of himself.

Even if you did give him the benefit of the doubt that way, consider this. In the last 10 years we've seen premierships from clubs that have stand-alone VFL sides (Collingwood, Geelong), clubs that have an alignment (Hawthorn), clubs that stand-alone reserves sides in outrageously weak competitions (Sydney, Brisbane), and clubs whose players are scattered amongst clubs in the second tier leagues (West Coast, Port Adelaide). Without a scientific study, that's pretty strong evidence that it doesn't make that much difference how the "second tier" competitions are set up.

• Like 1

I'll support any plan that means I don't have to drive out to the a** end of Melbourne just to go and watch our fringe players go around.

It's never felt right to me.

I see your point...How valid is it really tho...

Every player at MFC & all clubs starts fringe really..they are always up against senior players to start with.

You build your reputation over time & some quicker than others.

Not sure if you mean Casey is the A** end of Melbourne but that happens to big one of the biggest growth areas in Melbourne so its not really the a** end is it.

Casey or Cranbourne is actually not a bad place now...I lived there for ten years and the change is astronomical to what it was.

Its a smart move by the Demons to be there.

But yes,I would rather we had the Demons back than the scorps but I'm also happy with the Scorps and will support what MFC decide.

• Like 1

His main argument was that he wanted a reserves side because the leading clubs do. When challenged with the West Coast example, he said he didn't care what other clubs did. That is a complete and utter contradiction of himself.

Even if you did give him the benefit of the doubt that way, consider this. In the last 10 years we've seen premierships from clubs that have stand-alone VFL sides (Collingwood, Geelong), clubs that have an alignment (Hawthorn), clubs that stand-alone reserves sides in outrageously weak competitions (Sydney, Brisbane), and clubs whose players are scattered amongst clubs in the second tier leagues (West Coast, Port Adelaide). Without a scientific study, that's pretty strong evidence that it doesn't make that much difference how the "second tier" competitions are set up.

I don't think so because the West has only 2 AFL teams, so IMO the clubs would have a big say in how they're players are played.

Probably similar to where we are heading, or are.

But the ultimate is to have the stand alone VFL team. IMO we should aim at this over the next couple of years, with a share arrangement with the Scorps, of ground & facilities.

People at Casey are very unhappy at us pulling players at the end of the season, as they where at Sandy, in our last couple of seasons.

IMO the VFL can handle an expanded competition, especially with AFL clubs expanding outwards looking for more fertile supporter recruiting fields.

And this would ensure we don't upset our partners of an amalgamated VFL club, when or if we pull players out, on the eve of finals.

At the moment this practice is damaging the VFL supporters. Not to mention Melbourne supporters who believe in older values.

Edited by dee-luded

The game has changed markedly over the last 3 years, through the Sports science enabling players to run further, harder in bursts. This has brought in many tactical changes to our game with set plays & presses, etc, meaning structures have become more important, than stand out Stars. (Chess taken over by checkers or drafts)

This is why there is more need atmo, for our own stand alone team.

IF, the AFL steps the interchange back a peg, to 2 + 2, then we'll start to see more players back in positions, more Stars, more Mortons, more man on man, & less presses & flooding, except maybe around the stoppage. Back to the 90's... an improved skillfull 90's.

At the moment, I'd prefer the stand alone team.

Edited by dee-luded

There is no difference between what we have now with Casey against having our own VFL team. You will still have 10-14 AFL listed players with top up VFL players, we have a Melbourne man as Coach that has the best interest of Melbourne, we get a good surface and facitiity to play and train on. The name is the only thing that would change. For posters that think Casey is going to hinder the development of our players, you are way off the mark, we have bigger issues with our playing group and it wouldn't make a difference if play for Casey or Melbourne in the VFL

• Like 1

Guest José Mourinho

what ?

That's exactly the same contradiction, just worded differently.

Don't you realise that..?

Ok...

Wait... What??

You guys are unbelievable....You are comparing interstate sides to the MFC!!

What is best for the MFC? Oh and btw if Hawthorn wish to stay with Box Hill...Good Luck to them..

The Filth do it the right way...young uns join the senior side seamlessly...

The game has changed markedly over the last 3 years, through the Sports science enabling players to run further, harder in bursts. This has brought in many tactical changes to our game with set plays & presses, etc, meaning structures have become more important, than stand out Stars. (Chess taken over by checkers or drafts)

This is why there is more need atmo, for our own stand alone team.

IF, the AFL steps the interchange back a peg, to 2 + 2, then we'll start to see more players back in positions, more Stars, more Mortons, more man on man, & less presses & flooding, except maybe around the stoppage. Back to the 90's... an improved skillfull 90's.

At the moment, I'd prefer the stand alone team.

I'm really struggling with relevance of all this. At least, any relevance that can't just be counteracted with "West Coast and Adelaide seem to managing OK".