The "I'm Glad There's No Matchday Thread", Thread

hardtack

I'll be interested to see on the replay why he got two 50's? The umps just deciding to make rules up on the go now or did something else happen off the ball?

I think he got one for the Tapscott whack, and he got a second for Garland's tackle on whoever it was that grabbed the ball and (to Garland's mind) played on. Fair? You be the judge. I refuse to believe that Garland's stupid enough to tackle the wrong bloke when he knows some other player has just been awarded a fifty-metre penalty. Whoever the officiating umpire was totally botched that whole messy saga.

Yep, surely Garland was thinking it was "advantage" and went for the tackle if that's the case. A bit of common sense could have been used (heaven forbid) and the ump could have tried to settle things down instead of awarding another 50 and a shot on goal.

• Like 3

People who think Tapscott's bump on Fasolo and then push of Maxwell into our bench were 'tough' or 'passionate' or whatnot, are fools. They were both crude, and if a Collingwood player had done that to one of our players, we'd all be screaming for his head.

Tapscott's bump on Fasolo was late and unwarranted. Pushing Maxwell into our bench well after he'd gone out of bounds was just ridiculous.

There's passion and intensity, but then there's just misplaced thuggery.

The only thing warranted here is a cup of concrete for yourself.

I'm quite happy to have a player with unwavering c@&$ in him that will do these things to upset other teams and players. If it causes a few suspensions here or there, fine. We need opposition players to be fearful of the Demons. If Tappy brings that to the table then we are one step closer to success in my opinion.

• Like 3

Fine... but I don't want to hear a peep out of you when one of our players gets wiped out by a similarly "passionate" piece of play from an opponent.

Agreed. Swings and roundabouts.

Biggest blunder ever not taking dusty martin. Now its starting to look like a double blunder

Mark my words Olisik he will be better than Dusty in the long run, has been run into the ground by Misson and Neeld this year and it's part of the long term plan for him. Dusty has not set the world on fire this year but will also be a good player

Mark my words Olisik he will be better than Dusty in the long run, has been run into the ground by Misson and Neeld this year and it's part of the long term plan for him. Dusty has not set the world on fire this year but will also be a good player

You know this as fact?

If it is true i can deal with it...because at the moment it is very hard watching JT have very minimal effect on every game he plays.

The only thing warranted here is a cup of concrete for yourself.

I'm quite happy to have a player with unwavering c@&$ in him that will do these things to upset other teams and players. If it causes a few suspensions here or there, fine. We need opposition players to be fearful of the Demons. If Tappy brings that to the table then we are one step closer to success in my opinion.

I'm all for toughness, so don't try saying I'm not. I can't wait for Scully to show up here in two weeks and for Moloney/Jamar/Sylvia/anyone to make him earn every single kick.

Tapscott, though, went beyond mere toughness and into the realm of just stupidity, moreso with the push over the boundary line which was just uncalled for. The bump/punch, I can take that, but there was no justification for the Maxwell one.

I'm fairly convinced you would hate a Collingwood player if they did that to us.

I'm fairly convinced you would hate a Collingwood player if they did that to us.

Of course, isn't that the point? I hate the Collingwood players that wear black and white and the players of any other team when we play them for that matter. I didn't realise we were trying to appeal to opposition supporters when we go into battle.

I'm all for toughness, so don't try saying I'm not. I can't wait for Scully to show up here in two weeks and for Moloney/Jamar/Sylvia/anyone to make him earn every single kick.

Tapscott, though, went beyond mere toughness and into the realm of just stupidity, moreso with the push over the boundary line which was just uncalled for. The bump/punch, I can take that, but there was no justification for the Maxwell one.

Okay, first sentence withdrawn.

As I said, in my opinion we need a [censored]. A brutal one at that.

As well as not turning back when taking a mark (and missing the next player leading down the ground) and being forced to kick backwards

and not shepherding a player you have given the ball too

there are many small things that Collingwood showed us today when they took control

This comes from confidence in themselves in each other and in the fact that they will be protected by the umpires.

We need to develop the first two and hopefully the umpires will recognise that our jumpers also deserve some respect.

While it was annoying that the pies got off to the 4-5 goal start and then whenever we got close some small action handed the momentum back. Were we too tired in the last? I think there were plenty playing with endeavour but maybe a lot of these small actions come about because of tiredness?

At least there were some positives we did fight back and fought on showed some skills and some passages that actaully semmed to be planned.

The defence did do a great job but just overwhelmed

I am starting to support the Mid field push

would have Watts up forward with Howe and Mitchell

Jamar was ok and would match with Martin

I reall y think we need to rest and refresh Trengove. He is and can be great but is slowly being ground down to ordinary

I didn't realise we were trying to appeal to opposition supporters when we go into battle.

We're not. When did I say that?

I'm sure you wouldn't condone a Melbourne player punching someone in the head, right? Therefore, there is conduct which isn't allowable on a football field. So there is a line to be drawn somewhere between conduct which is good, aggressive, intimidating football, and plain thuggery.

In my opinion, pushing a player into a bench once he's out of play goes across that line.

You know this as fact?

If it is true i can deal with it...because at the moment it is very hard watching JT have very minimal effect on every game he plays.

Can't guarantee with injury etc WYL but you know MO on Trengove, has all the tools and has never been considered slow before. They are building his tank up and he is learning from the best opposition players getting challenged every week, Can you honestly tell me anyone who has absolutley panced him this year over an entire four quarters. He will be the better for 2012

We're not. When did I say that?

I'm sure you wouldn't condone a Melbourne player punching someone in the head, right? Therefore, there is conduct which isn't allowable on a football field. So there is a line to be drawn somewhere between conduct which is good, aggressive, intimidating football, and plain thuggery.

In my opinion, pushing a player into a bench once he's out of play goes across that line.

Say if we were playing in a GF - would you not want the players to do everything they could to get the win? I would want our players taking the opposition players out of the game by any means necessary. I would hope our club learnt its lesson after 2000 but apparently not. The only thing that matters is getting the W anything else is just noise.

Can't guarantee with injury etc WYL but you know MO on Trengove, has all the tools and has never been considered slow before. They are building his tank up and he is learning from the best opposition players getting challenged every week, Can you honestly tell me anyone who has absolutley panced him this year over an entire four quarters. He will be the better for 2012

I am yet to see JT in the best players on the ground column in the paper this year. He has had little pace or impact in a game all year. Coach Neeld may be teaching him new tricks. But he just looks slow to me.

Say if we were playing in a GF - would you not want the players to do everything they could to get the win? I would want our players taking the opposition players out of the game by any means necessary. I would hope our club learnt its lesson after 2000 but apparently not. The only thing that matters is getting the W anything else is just noise.

Bet you're a big fan of the John Kreese character in the original Karate Kid.

"We do not train to be merciful here. Mercy is for the weak. Here, in the streets, in competition: A man confronts you, he is the enemy. An enemy deserves no mercy."
Edited by hardtack

I am yet to see JT in the best players on the ground column in the paper this year. He has had little pace or impact in a game all year. Coach Neeld may be teaching him new tricks. But he just looks slow to me.

As I said WYL can't think of any of his direct opponents towelling him up either, Neeld is playing him defensively this year whilst Misson works on his fitness.

As I said WYL can't think of any of his direct opponents towelling him up either, Neeld is playing him defensively this year whilst Misson works on his fitness.

theres no doubt he's playing defensive roles, or maybe putting a little too much emphasis on defence. His takle column has been good all year, which suggests he's quick enough to catch people, or doing enough runnig to get to enough contests.

But when he missed that goal against the hawks i knew sothing was up. In his first few years he had a really pure set shot at goal, for him to not make the distance was strange to say the least. I'm calling OP, not over training.

• Like 1